Menu

s/o Escalating Reactions..... what do you do about incontinence? TMI TMI

poppy

This is TMI & I'm sorry but I am guessing there are people here who can help!

Ever since baby #2 I have had issues with incontinence. 

Not "I need Depends."

But, I feel damp and (sorry) smelly by the end of the day.

Poise Pads made it all better! It was great!

Until I started getting a rash that just won't get away. It's mild but annoying. I traded being damp and smelly with (sorry) itchy!

Help?

I had a hysterectomy, bladder repair, and bladder sling.  Everything ended up out of whack and my uterus prolapsed which is why the hysterectomy.  My bladder was down and to the side of where it should have been.  I can now sneeze, jump, etc. without so much as a single leak.  It's amazing.  I didn't realize how bad it was.  I've seen a stress incontinence product available at the grocery store made by Poise.  It might work for you.

• Like 2

See a gynaecologist.  I have a mild prolapse and now use an internal appliance to support things.  Now that I don't have the pressure, I don't have any issues.

I decided not to get the mesh installed: once in it binds with your body, so it's extremely difficult to remove; if you are active, then there's a risk of tearing; some people find that it becomes tight and causes pain.

• Like 1

I had a hysterectomy, bladder repair, and bladder sling.  Everything ended up out of whack and my uterus prolapsed which is why the hysterectomy.  My bladder was down and to the side of where it should have been.  I can now sneeze, jump, etc. without so much as a single leak.  It's amazing.  I didn't realize how bad it was.  I've seen a stress incontinence product available at the grocery store made by Poise.  It might work for you.

Oh, I keep forgetting I bought those.  They look kind of like tampons.  Hmmm, wonder where those are hiding....(we've moved since i bought them lol)

Wish I'd thought to ask them to repair my bladder when I had my hysterectomy!

See a gynaecologist.  I have a mild prolapse and now use an internal appliance to support things.  Now that I don't have the pressure, I don't have any issues.

I decided not to get the mesh installed: once in it binds with your body, so it's extremely difficult to remove; if you are active, then there's a risk of tearing; some people find that it becomes tight and causes pain.

Your bladder is prolapsed or your uterus?  (Any idea what the appliance is called?  I don't want the mesh for the same reasons you listed, but I would love another option!)

Your bladder is prolapsed or your uterus?  (Any idea what the appliance is called?  I don't want the mesh for the same reasons you listed, but I would love another option!)

Bladder.  It's a rubber cube (not a thing of beauty, but better than the alternative):

http://www.medicaldepartmentstore.com/Cube-Pessary-p/cuxxd.htm

The doctor did say that relieving the pressure can rarely increase rather than decrease the incontinence - it depends what is causing the issue.  It's a reversible option to try though.

Edited by Laura Corin

Bladder and colon.  It's a rubber cube (not a thing of beauty, but better than the alternative):

http://www.medicaldepartmentstore.com/Cube-Pessary-p/cuxxd.htm

The doctor did say that relieving the pressure can rarely increase rather than decrease the incontinence - it depends what is causing the issue.  It's a reversible option to try though.

Thanks, I'll talk to my doc about that soon!

Well, the quickest way is to go to a doctor or have a friend that spent a couple years in nursing school working in nursing homes look at you, but if you're too embarrassed, this is what I'd do:  Read about cloth diapers and buy or sew yourself some cloth pads.  Last I knew hemp is the most absorbent natural fiber, but it may have changed in the past few years. You could also use microfiber towels from an auto parts store to absorb fluid.  You want a waterproof liner with wings that snap together to keep them in place, a very absorbent inner layer that absorbs a lot of fluid, and an outer layer that wicks the moisture away from you - usually something like microfleece.  I'd buy probably at least six, or sew at least 12, so you could change them several times per day.  Use baby wipes to get the urine off your skin each time. It's possible you're basically getting diaper rash.  If between getting away from the chemicals and cleaning up repeatedly nothing looks better within three days, you probably have an external yeast infection, not a chemical rash.  In that case I'd get a yeast infection cream from the drugstore and put that on the rash.  It should get better dramatically after that.

Go to a urologist.  Sometimes it's not a prolapse, it's a valve thing.  If you leak when you laugh or sneeze, that is "stress incontinence," a muscle issue.  You can try kegels, but most likely a simple surgery to replace the valve will help. I had a relative that started overflowing poise pads, she had the surgery and is very happy with it.

Another common kind of incontinence is overactive bladder - basically the nerves signal you have to go constantly and urgently, and sometimes you can't get to the toilet before you leak a little.  I get this when I've been drinking too much caffeine, it seems to irritate my bladder.  I would try cutting out all caffeine and drinking extra water for a few days if that sounds familiar.  There are medications for this sort of thing too.

There are a few other kinds too, but honestly if nothing I posted helps, you should see a urologist.

• Like 1

Cloth pads.  My grandma got the mesh installed, I'm not ready to go that route.

I totally agree.  You can use the liner and just wash them in with your underwear, because they won't be any different, really.  And change as often as you feel the need.

Non-surgical treatment might be an option.  When I had recent shoulder surgery, my PT mentioned that she was also certified to work with women's issues such as incontinence and certain types of prolapse.  

I had the mesh installed as part of a major prolapse repair 14 years ago.  Mine was one of the few cases where use of the mesh is still recommended.   I had a very positive outcome (VERY POSITIVE!!! Like - Life Changing!!), so not all bad news on that front.  I went to a Gyn initially, who sent me on to a Gyn Surgeon for the actual surgery.

• Like 2

Non-surgical treatment might be an option.  When I had recent shoulder surgery, my PT mentioned that she was also certified to work with women's issues such as incontinence and certain types of prolapse.  

I had the mesh installed as part of a major prolapse repair 14 years ago.  Mine was one of the few cases where use of the mesh is still recommended.   I had a very positive outcome (VERY POSITIVE!!! Like - Life Changing!!), so not all bad news on that front.  I went to a Gyn initially, who sent me on to a Gyn Surgeon for the actual surgery.

Now this I'd be willing to try.  I should look into it.  No harm at all in trying this.

I know people mention kegal exercises, but I can't for the life of me figure out what exactly that is.  I'm not sure if I'm doing them correctly. 

PT was life changing for me with back and hip pain I had after delivering my second kid.  I was in such dire pain.  I went to about 5 doctors before anyone would do something other than prescribe pain pills.  I'm angry they were so dismissive. 

I couldn't kegel if someone paid me to, so I bought what is essentially a thigh master for that area. It's inserted and you squeeze, if you're doing it right the two sides close.

It really helped me sort out what I should be squeezing. It also comes in three resistances depending on how bad the problem is.

It had an awful name that I can't remember... which I guess makes this whole post pointless lol

• Like 1

I couldn't kegel if someone paid me to, so I bought what is essentially a thigh master for that area. It's inserted and you squeeze, if you're doing it right the two sides close.

It really helped me sort out what I should be squeezing. It also comes in three resistances depending on how bad the problem is.

It had an awful name that I can't remember... which I guess makes this whole post pointless lol

Lol not necessarily. We could search for it online or ask a dr.

I was actually going to post that I was surprised there weren't a million "kegels is the answer" replies. Seems everytime I've ever complained about incontinence that was the response. I know if you pee and stop the flow then you are using the right muscles for kegels, but I always worried I would cause myself to urinate attempting to do kegels lol. I actually once read one article that wasn't quite pro kegel, though most were.

OP, I have discussed this with my own OB/GYN and in my experience, they won't tell you much but will refer you to someone else. Mine actually improved over time (between births and the second birth didn't seem to send me back to square one). I didn't really do anything in particular. Maybe lost a little weight? Mine was described as stress incontinence. Lifting objects, sneezing, laughing. Well, none of those were such a big deal compared to vomiting. Thank goodness that never happened in public because I'd have to have a change of clothing (hey this is a TMI thread, right?). The last time I saw my ob/gyn it was rather close to delivering a baby so we both agreed it wasn't a great time to go suss things out there. I don't know if I will ever go investigate further.

I would definitely seek some answers in your case, but I don't know if the ob/gyn is necessarily where to start. Of course, they may have notes from the delivery that would help? My hospital had really crappy notes on my first birth as did my former ob/gyn office. They pierced my bladder and emptied it during active labor due to immense pressure/pain on my end, even after they manually broke my water (they first blamed the pressure on that and I was like no, really, I have to pee again). To this day we don't know if/what was affected by that but I agreed to it because I was in dire straits. I don't know if anything like that happened during your delivery. I told all this to my current ob/gyn but I don't think any of it was included in the medical records. I really don't know if that affected my bladder issues, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

This sounds weird but exercises like Pilates and Yoga can strengthen the pelvic floor muscles so that if its a muscle tone problem, you can fix it without surgery.

Yes. It's probably the squat type exercises. I had heard that squats were better than kegels but I didn't understand why until I was in a ballet class last year. The teacher had model of the pelvis and she was showing how the bones move when you do a plié (similar to a squat) and it suddenly made so much sense why squats help with incontinence.

My sister had a surgical procedure a couple years ago. I'm not sure if she had the mesh or a sling but she had it done by a gyno/urologist and they said the procedures are much better than they were 10-15 years ago.

I've struggled with this since baby number two. Posture and pelvic exercise like those from Katy Bowman are my number one recommendation. Full stop.

https://nutritiousmovement.com/blog/

Her blog has SO much free information and I've been saving my pennies for her videos. Among the larger family mommy crowd there have been pretty much solid raves.

While those work they take time, so in the meantime definitely look into cloth pads. A week of them in rotation plus a few extra should suffice. I also like using wet wipes when I'm at home to keep any stale smell to a minimum, you know? They work so much better than TP alone for keeping things fresh.

Edited by Arctic Mama

exercise that will strengthen the core and entire pelvic floor (more that "just" kegels). worked fine before dudeling.

believe it or not - sinusitus would have that effect upon me.  (eta: it seems to relax the muscles every where.)

after forceps and a huge baby ripped me up - I opted for surgery to fix things.  (I was uncomfortable with the idea of a hysterectomy so forsook my female gyn. I went to a female urologist who repaired the damage.  it's been great.)

eta: the gyn wanted to do the hysterectomy because of how "out of place" things were.  the urologist said she popped it back where it belonged - did the sling and everything else (re: bladder) went back to where they belonged. then she repaired the areas damaged by the forceps. this was about 10 years ago, no problems since.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4