Menu

Hiking boots

Rachel

It's time to replace my old hiking boots, Timberlands that have seen a lot of miles. Currently I usually hike in trail runners but they aren't really appropriate for some of the trails we go on.

I'd like something waterproof since we do occasionally have creek crossings and I usually want boots when the trails are muddy. Our trails are typically hilly but not mountains.

I do like online shopping, but it's been so long since I bought my last pair of boots I'd prefer to shop in person. My local options are Cabellas, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sportsman Warehouse, and a local outdoor store that's main focus is on climbing. There is an REI just over an hour away, it's kind of small and I wouldn't drive up there just to try on boots, but could find other things in the area to do to make the trip worth it.

What brands or styles should I consider? It's been a long time since I last bought hiking boots.

A hundred years ago I was trying in boys and quickly found that Merrell were to right in the route box for me. It has been so long that styles have changed and I would definitely try again, BUT it helped my shopping that I could eliminate that brand. So I suggest hit your local stores and figure out what size works for you in a few different brands. Then, if you haven't found "the pair", you could probably expand your search to include online sources like Campmor and Sierra Trading Post.

Yay hiking!

• Like 1

I guess I need to know what I should be looking for in a hiking boot. I see they start around $120 and go up to $400 (and probably beyond). What's the difference? Weight?

Will I be as happy with a $120 pair as a $200 pair?

I wore my last pair 15 years so I don't mind shelling out more than I would typically pay for a pair of shoes but $400 is still a lot of money and more than I'm comfortable spending unless I'm doing the AT or something.

My son is a long distance hiker who prefers trail runners but in recent times he was quite pleased with a Red Wing hiking boot that was waterproof. He was hiking through snow and slush, saying they withstood the weather and the terrain.

He has not had good success with Merrells, having choice words for their soles.  Of course, YMMV.

• Like 1

DH, DD and DS have Merrel's the same style. I tried them and cannot wear them; they make my feet hurt - but they have similar feet shapes, and I am different.

I have a pair of heavy Hanwag leather boots for off trail, steep scree, boulders - so heavy mountaineering. Those were expensive. They have very few seams, so little potential for seams splitting open - those usually cost more.

I have a pair of Keens that are light weight and I wear here in the Midwest or in the desert. They are very comfortable, but not very durable; my last pair only lasted 4-5 years.

I loved my Meindl and Lowa boots; alas, they had many seams and eventually ripped open.

• Like 1

Fwiw I'm generally a minimal shoe gal. I bought a pair of Merrell trail runners last year before our trip out west as I figured I needed something a bit thicker than my Vapor Gloves for the hikes through Bryce, Grand Canyon etc. Those worked just fine for me through that terrain. I generally like my Vapor Gloves for when I'm going to get wet as they dry fairly quick. I dont' do a lot of hiking/walking in snow as we just don't get a lot where I live,  when I do I wear a pair of Merrel waterproof boots, which aren't really designed for hiking but work for shorter distances just fine(like less than 5 miles). This summer we are going out west again to Yosemite, Sequioas and the beach and I plain on just bringing my Vapor Gloves and Running Sandals(Luna Leadville - which are designed for water and rugged trails). If I was going a lot in the snow or cold I'd have to get something different but this works for almost everything I do and probably will until the time that the kids are older and we can do rougher terrain.

*for reference we generally hike/walk daily mostly through wooded trails and pavement. We don't do crazy long distances- 10 mi or less a day.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I have a pair of Keens that I have had for 3 years, and they still look almost new and they get worn daily for at least 2 miles maybe more...and despite lots of snow. The shape of the footbed is wonderful and they are really comfortable.

• Like 1

I love my Keens.  I hated my Lowas.  Merrell and Columbia was just ok.  I like REI b/c they are very generous if something doesn't work for you.  Even if it's used.  I returned ski boots after using them one day.  And they had custom insoles.  I was surprised by how many boots Dicks had.  But I like the return policy at REI.  

• Like 2

You can order REI boots from their website and pick them up at the store if you don't like the local selection.  This is the time of the year when our local store has more hiking boots than normal, though, so it might be just the time to visit yours and try some on.  REI and LL Bean are the only stores I know of that will take back boots even if they are dirty from having been worn outside.  That's hugely valuable and it's one of the reasons I always shop for things like that at REI.

I have some waterproof Merrills.  I wear them when I go hiking in low, muddy trails in the spring time.  It's really nice to be able to slosh through muck and not get your feet wet.  However, in the mountains, where the hiking is much more challenging, ironically I wear only trail runners.  They are much more comfortable over long distances, and I usually am more worried about overheating than about getting my feet wet when I'm hiking up there.  Last week we took a PCT thru hiker out to dinner, and he told us that most of the other thru hikers were wearing Brooks Cascadia trail runners, specifically the non-waterproof ones for coolness, on the trail.  These are people who are hiking for over 1000 miles!  *I'm a trendsetter!!*

• Like 3

This is the time of the year when our local However, in the mountains, where the hiking is much more challenging, ironically I wear only trail runners.  They are much more comfortable over long distances, and I usually am more worried about overheating than about getting my feet wet when I'm hiking up there.  Last week we took a PCT thru hiker out to dinner, and he told us that most of the other thru hikers were wearing Brooks Cascadia trail runners, specifically the non-waterproof ones for coolness, on the trail.  These are people who are hiking for over 1000 miles!  *I'm a trendsetter!!*

I had read this somewhere too. I can't stand heavy shoes, I don't even like normal shoes really. I was afraid that my Trail Runners wouldn't be enough through the Canyons and such but I had no issue at all. I did a 5k trail run in my Vapor Gloves sans socks and felt great. The water doesn't bother me terribly either. I had a trail run a couple of months ago through our local forest and my feet got soaked through half a dozen times but as my Vapor Gloves are so thin they don't hold onto too much water so it wasn't a big deal. I still feel a little paranoid that I usually use way less shoes than other people but I never have foot pain or injuries. It works for me anyway.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I do have Brooks Cascadia and they are awesome most of the time. The trails I go on are pretty muddy off and on throughout winter and spring. I am a bit concerned about my feet getting hot though. I'm going to go to check out my local stores first since it's closer then head up to REI if I'm not happy with the selection locally.

You can order REI boots from their website and pick them up at the store if you don't like the local selection. This is the time of the year when our local store has more hiking boots than normal, though, so it might be just the time to visit yours and try some on. REI and LL Bean are the only stores I know of that will take back boots even if they are dirty from having been worn outside. That's hugely valuable and it's one of the reasons I always shop for things like that at REI.

I have some waterproof Merrills. I wear them when I go hiking in low, muddy trails in the spring time. It's really nice to be able to slosh through muck and not get your feet wet. However, in the mountains, where the hiking is much more challenging, ironically I wear only trail runners. They are much more comfortable over long distances, and I usually am more worried about overheating than about getting my feet wet when I'm hiking up there. Last week we took a PCT thru hiker out to dinner, and he told us that most of the other thru hikers were wearing Brooks Cascadia trail runners, specifically the non-waterproof ones for coolness, on the trail. These are people who are hiking for over 1000 miles! *I'm a trendsetter!!*

My husband loves Red Wing, I had no idea they made hiking boots.

My son is a long distance hiker who prefers trail runners but in recent times he was quite pleased with a Red Wing hiking boot that was waterproof. He was hiking through snow and slush, saying they withstood the weather and the terrain.

He has not had good success with Merrells, having choice words for their soles. Of course, YMMV.

• Like 1

I'm really jealous of your ability to go out in the woods daily! We are about an hour from a national forest. I'd move closer but there aren't many jobs, my husband keeps reminding me that our kids like to eat more than I like to hike.

Fwiw I'm generally a minimal shoe gal. I bought a pair of Merrell trail runners last year before our trip out west as I figured I needed something a bit thicker than my Vapor Gloves for the hikes through Bryce, Grand Canyon etc. Those worked just fine for me through that terrain. I generally like my Vapor Gloves for when I'm going to get wet as they dry fairly quick. I dont' do a lot of hiking/walking in snow as we just don't get a lot where I live, when I do I wear a pair of Merrel waterproof boots, which aren't really designed for hiking but work for shorter distances just fine(like less than 5 miles). This summer we are going out west again to Yosemite, Sequioas and the beach and I plain on just bringing my Vapor Gloves and Running Sandals(Luna Leadville - which are designed for water and rugged trails). If I was going a lot in the snow or cold I'd have to get something different but this works for almost everything I do and probably will until the time that the kids are older and we can do rougher terrain.

*for reference we generally hike/walk daily mostly through wooded trails and pavement. We don't do crazy long distances- 10 mi or less a day.

• Like 1

I'm really jealous of your ability to go out in the woods daily! We are about an hour from a national forest. I'd move closer but there aren't many jobs, my husband keeps reminding me that our kids like to eat more than I like to hike.

True, you do have to feed them. There are cons to living in the country but being able to walk out my door and be in the woods in under a minute is a definite plus. I love forests. I think my post hs life will find a way to merge hiking and botany in some way, still trying to figure out how I can make it a job where I live.

• Like 2

I currently wear Oboz.  I love, love, love my Oboz.  I have three pair - one pair I wear daily and the other two are my reserve pairs to be sent during my AT hike.  My daily wear pair are a year old and have approximately 2000 miles on them.  They are just now beginning to show some wear on the toes.  I've worn them for AT hikes, climbing the Manitou incline, and all over IL and CO.

I have a comminuted fracture, no joint, and arthritis in a big toe (due to a horse jumping on me while I was wearing inappropriate footwear). Oboz are one of the only brands that provide enough structure in the toebox and allow me to hike 20+ miles a day with a loaded pack and still be able to walk that night or the next day.  

Did I say I love, love, love my Oboz?

• Like 2