Menu

Spinoff - Do you use a US equivalent to the Canadian "eh"?

Nan in Mass

We say hunh or ay (like in day) to turn a statement into a question:

So you are really going to do it, ay?

That's funny, hunh?

Is that what the Canadian eh does? Are there other US equivalents? If so, what are they where?

Just curious,

Nan

Eh? IS ay, like day.

I'm Canadian so I just use "eh?". I caught myself using it today, in fact. :)

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

Eh? IS ay, like day.

I'm Canadian so I just use "eh?". I caught myself using it today, in fact. :)

Really? My Canadian inlaws seem to say eh like elephant. I can see how it would be an awfully near relative of ay, though. I hadn,t really made the connection.

We use ayuh constantly but unless you are really a downeaster, it comes out very light on the a part, sort of just with a slightly longer y sound. We say ayuh for emphasis, for saying yousure are right about that.

Nan

• Like 1

I think I most frequently use "right" and very occasionally "yes."

You're coming with us, right?

You'd like sugar in your tea, yes?

ETA: And yes, I also use "isn't it." Thanks for the reminder, ananemone.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

We use isn,t it or doesn,t it, too. I hadn,t thought of that. We use right, but not yes. I notice when people use yes. Right is used in places where there is more doubt, I think?

It,s really cold out, right? (Not quite sure)

It,s really cold out, hunh? (Or ay) (Sure about the cold and sure the other person agrees, just commenting)

It,s really cold out, isn,t it? (Either one, more formal)

Fraidycat, does eh work like this, too?

Nan

• Like 1

I use "right" like a vigorous agreement.  

In a bad storm...

DH: "It's really coming down in sheets out there."

Me: "Right?!"

Recently I've been using "yeah?" which I think is Australian, lol.  It's really a request for confirmation...

Me: "Ok you're going to clean your room now, yeah?"

DD: "Yeah."

I have no idea where I picked this stuff up, probably TV and the interwebs, because people around here don't talk like that.   :coolgleamA:  :lol:

We use isn,t it or doesn,t it, too. I hadn,t thought of that. We use right, but not yes. I notice when people use yes. Right is used in places where there is more doubt, I think?

It,s really cold out, right? (Not quite sure)

It,s really cold out, hunh? (Or ay) (Sure about the cold and sure the other person agrees, just commenting)

It,s really cold out, isn,t it? (Either one, more formal)

Fraidycat, does eh work like this, too?

Nan

Yes. It can go at the end of most any sentence, question or exclamation.

I use "right" like a vigorous agreement.

In a bad storm...

DH: "It's really coming down in sheets out there."

Me: "Right?!"

Recently I've been using "yeah?" which I think is Australian, lol. It's really a request for confirmation...

Me: "Ok you're going to clean your room now, yeah?"

DD: "Yeah."

I have no idea where I picked this stuff up, probably TV and the interwebs, because people around here don't talk like that. :coolgleamA: :lol:

I am currently visiting in the US right now and it seems like "awesome" has become the catch phase for many things.

I order a coffee with milk not cream......it's awesome. :lol: No, I am simply sick of fancy expensive coffee!

As above, I comment how hard it's raining to a cashier......once again it's "really" awesome. No it's been raining a lot.

It pops up constantly especially with the dc's friends. Everything seems to be awesome with them. Maybe even cleaning bedrooms! ;) I guarantee my kids aren't going to start using it regarding housework although I have heard dd say it a few times.

I feel obliged to point out that the Canadian "eh" is regional and is not used in all parts of Canada. I only ever hear it in parodies as it is not part of the dialect where I live. I would use "isn't it?" or "right?"

I notice that many American tourists who visit here say "huh?" at the end of a question.