Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW12: Vernal Equinox

Robin M

So when looking up books on Jesuit education I found a free book that compares Jesuit education to Protestant Education. It is short and I'm about 60 pages in. A few things I found super interesting. The Jesuit Schools were modeled after the University of Paris which I had read on this site but it just confirmed it. They also were trying to influence people who were being swayed by the protestant reformation. I forgot that that was going on during the time the Jesuit schools were being opened everywhere. Also most schools in the US were puritan and funded by the government. In the mid 1800's the government began opening public schools and most people switched to those. I found it interesting because I've heard people say in the colonial days the bible was read in public schools but that is not accurate. The bible was read in puritan schools which were the only schools avaliable. Once the public schools were opened the curriculum was completely secular. Anyway the book is in the public domain and called The Education System of the Jesuits and the Puritans Compared by N. Porter . ETA: it's obvious the author is Protestant from reading this but it's a very helpful book in aiding my understanding of the transformation of Classical Education so to me I can easily overlook his personal views and take the history pieces.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 11

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNIP

I have also been slowly making my way through The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything and Shirt of Flame, a book about a former alcoholic writer's journey through a year with the Little Way of St. Therese. This book has been on my kindle at about 30% complete for about 4 years, and now I think I have gotten it up to 60%. I felt kind of meh about it when I first started it, but am liking it a little better now. And I also recently downloaded Food, Genes, and Culture: Eating Right for Your Origins, which I am enjoying except that I don't think I am catching a lot of it in my present state. It's about nutrigenomics, or how differing genetics interact with the food people eat. The author is an ethnobotanist.

SNIP

I just finished Shirt of Flame this week, and I really, really liked it. I'm surprised I did since I have nothing in common with the author (never drink, Protestant, 5 children, etc), but I felt like she wrote how I think. Not sure if that makes any sense :)

It might be that I just finished two other memoirs, Simply Tuesday, and A Homemade Life, and I really didn't like either of them. I'm not even sure why I've been reading so many memoirs, as it's not generally a genre I enjoy, but Shirt of Flame is my third one this year, lol. 

Anyways, I think I liked her vulnerability, She shared about her faith journey reading through Saint Therese's works,  and she seemed real and honest, talking about how she believed and yet still had struggles. It really resonated with me. 

Edited by indigomama
  • Like 9

I'll update more in a bit, but I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you to whoever recommended "All Creatures Great and Small" on here a few weeks back. I've been immersed in it every spare minute for the past few days and am adoring it!! 

• Like 12

I woke up this morning to read the sad news about Brussels.  My thoughts are with all those who are suffering.

Mumto2, I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing better.  Rose, sending good thoughts concerning your daughter's oral surgery.  I'm reminded of a good friend who was sitting in the waiting room while her daughter's wisdom teeth were being removed.  She was horrified when an ambulance arrived, and attendants rushed into the office.  It turned out that the oral surgeon had had a heart attack during her daughter's procedure.  (He survived.)  Her daughter's surgery was finished by someone else. 

Thanks for the beautiful spring flower photos.

My mother appears to have improved tremendously in the week before I arrived, so (for example) she is now able to bathe herself and is also going up and down stairs independently.  I'm relieved for the improvements; however, she has issues with her sight and with her memory.  She asked last night if my name was Kareni.  Ageing certainly presents challenges for the ageing and those who love them.

As to reading, I started a book before my first flight, read it on the plane, during my layover, and throughout my second flight.  With perfect timing, I finished it as the landing gear descended.  It was an enjoyable way to pass the time ~  Kristen Ashley's Walk Through Fire.

I'm on my sister's computer and have no idea how to provide links.  In fact, it's a HP ENVY computer -- if anyone knows how to accomplish what I can usually do by right clicking on a link, please let me know. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Kareni,

Glad to hear that your mom is doing better physically. :grouphug: about the memory issue.

I doubt if you remember but a year and a half ago my mom was admitted to an Alzheimer's unit after a severe fall damaging her vertebrae. I was on the phone with her when some pain meds were administered in the initial diagnosis for the back, she spiralled into to memory loss rapidly while I was on the phone. I did not have another vaguely coherent conversation with her for over a month. I kept asking for her to have her pain meds changed/reduced due to past issues. I react badly also. Finally a nurse listened and agreed. Within weeks she was in her own home again with help. It took roughly 6 months for her to be back at about 90%. Take a good look at what has been perscribed and her behavior throughout the day in regards to the timing of her pills. That was why the nurse went to bat for my mom. I went through memory loss with my dad and mil also. Theirs was real so I really understand. :grouphug:

On a bookish note I am currently reading and enjoying MC Beaton's Death of a Nurse. It is the new Hamish Macbeth.

• Like 9

Kareni,

Glad to hear that your mom is doing better physically. :grouphug: about the memory issue.

I doubt if you remember but a year and a half ago my mom was admitted to an Alzheimer's unit after a severe fall damaging her vertebrae. I was on the phone with her when some pain meds were administered in the initial diagnosis for the back, she spiralled into to memory loss rapidly while I was on the phone. I did not have another vaguely coherent conversation with her for over a month. I kept asking for her to have her pain meds changed/reduced due to past issues. I react badly also. Finally a nurse listened and agreed. Within weeks she was in her own home again with help. It took roughly 6 months for her to be back at about 90%. Take a good look at what has been perscribed and her behavior throughout the day in regards to the timing of her pills. That was why the nurse went to bat for my mom. I went through memory loss with my dad and mil also. Theirs was real so I really understand. :grouphug:

On a bookish note I am currently reading and enjoying MC Beaton's Death of a Nurse. It is the new Hamish Macbeth.

Despite the seriousness of your Mom's former situation , the followup comment on Death of a Nurse produced a giggle. We know how Mumto2 deals with medical ineffiency!
  • Like 10

Despite the seriousness of your Mom's former situation , the followup comment on Death of a Nurse produced a giggle. We know how Mumto2 deals with medical ineffiency!

:lol: unintended but appropriate.....

Just so you know as of yesterday I have become even more concerned about elder care issues. I went shopping at T Maxx and my till receipt was wrong, less than what I knew I had spent (I add as I shop always, weird accountant habit). When I looked at my receipt no added discount on a single item but a Senior Citizen discount. I don't qualify for a few more years. I really really would rather have paid......

• Like 10

I just finished Shirt of Flame this week, and I really, really liked it. I'm surprised I did since I have nothing in common with the author (never drink, Protestant, 5 children, etc), but I felt like she wrote how I think. Not sure if that makes any sense :)

It might be that I just finished two other memoirs, Simply Tuesday, and A Homemade Life, and I really didn't like either of them. I'm not even sure why I've been reading so many memoirs, as it's not generally a genre I enjoy, but Shirt of Flame is my third one this year, lol.

Anyways, I think I liked her vulnerability, She shared about her faith journey reading through Saint Therese's works, and she seemed real and honest, talking about how she believed and yet still had struggles. It really resonated with me.

I am Catholic, and I think at the beginning of the book I was worried that she was going to turn The Little Way into just another bit of pop spirituality... But as I've read on, I don't think she's done that. Of course, considering that I started the book so long ago, I should probably go back and read the first chapters again just to refresh my memory! But I do like the book better as it goes on.

--Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 10

My mom recommended this book to me and said she'd like to try some other books by Allende...I'll tell her to try earlier ones!

Good idea. I would recommend starting with the first as well as her favorite (my favorite book as well) book, "The House of Spirits". :)

• Like 9

Kareni,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your mother, mumto2; you make some very good points. 

We've had similar experiences with the downsides of medication.  My father-in-law once had a medication prescribed that resulted in severe behavioral changes; unfortunately, in his case those changes were irreversible.  My mother is at the other end of the spectrum in that she is generally opposed to taking any medication.  Consequently, she has experienced some vision losses that might have been otherwise prevented had she been willing to use prescribed drops.   

I'm glad that you were able to intervene in your mother's case and that your intervention was beneficial to your mother.

Thanks for the chuckle, Jane!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Thanks for the good wishes to Shannon, she appreciates it. She had to have an ankylosed baby tooth removed, which the surgeon was telling us was potentially a more involved operation that wisdom tooth removal, but it all went smoothly.  Kareni, I had to laugh at your friend's story -  I was sitting in the waiting room a little anxiously and when I saw the surgeon walk calmly down the hall, I knew all was well. I know I would have flipped out had an ambulance showed up!

I finished Girl Meets Boy, and I really enjoyed it.  I re-read the myth of Iphis from Ovid beforehand, and if ever there was a myth that needed updating, this one was it. I really love what Ali Smith did with the characters and the situations. I feared greatly for Imogen a couple of times, the story could have taken a very dark turn, but all ended well.  I'm on to Where Three Roads Meet, a retelling of Oedipus. starring Tiresius and Dr. Freud I think it's great so far, but then I'm a Psych major! Deconstructing Freud was all the rage in the 90s.

• Like 9

Loesje - :grouphug: :grouphug: to you and your family.  I like your daughter's logic. :-)

Kareni,  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  to you too.  Aging and memory loss are so hard.

Re: Isabel Allende - I have loved many of her books, particularly The House of the Spirits and Eva Luna.  Her story of her daughter, Paula, is so beautiful (and so sad).  I did not know two others of her children had died.  I went to a bookstore talk to see her long ago, when either Eva Luna or The Stories of Eva Luna came out.  I had a book signed by her, but stupidly lent it out and never saw it again.  She was so interesting to listen to.  I haven't checked out her most recent books; I think the last one I read was Daughter of Fortune and there was something about it I did not like; she seemed to take a turn in her style then and I never sought out more.  I may need to revisit some of her stories again.  Oh, and so sad to hear her marriage broke up.  I remember her speaking very lovingly of her husband at that book talk. 

I finished two books last night and this morning. 

The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters was my audiobook.  It was a light, easy, listen.  Good for the car because if I got distracted I didn't have to go back to see what I missed. I This is the 2nd in the series.  I find I tire of series easily so it'll be a while before I go on to the next.

My Antonia was a homeschool read - my daughter is reading it too, though way more slowly than I did.  I love this book.  I haven't spent much time in the flat midwest, and it doesn't seem attractive to me, except when I'm reading this book.  It's just a treasure. 

Now my main books are Anna Karenina and history and geology texts, but I also downloaded Great Expectations on audio.

2016 Reading:

1.  Basin and Range, John McPhee

2.  Austenland, Shannon Hale

3. The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, Gabrielle Zevin

4. The Lady in the Van, Alan Bennett

5. In Suspect Terrain, John McPhee

6. Jamaica Inn, Daphne duMaurier

7. A Dangerous Mourning, Anne Perry

8. Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Susan Vreeland

9.  Defend and Betray, Anne Perry

10. Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt

11. The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

12. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

13. A Test of Wills, Charles Todd

14. The Original Miss Honeyford, Marion Chesney

15.  David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

16. What Angels Fear, C. S. Harris

17. The Curse of the Pharaohs, Elizabeth Peters

18. My Antonia, Willa Cather

• Like 10

I woke up this morning to read the sad news about Brussels.  My thoughts are with all those who are suffering.

Mumto2, I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing better.  Rose, sending good thoughts concerning your daughter's oral surgery.  I'm reminded of a good friend who was sitting in the waiting room while her daughter's wisdom teeth were being removed.  She was horrified when an ambulance arrived, and attendants rushed into the office.  It turned out that the oral surgeon had had a heart attack during her daughter's procedure.  (He survived.)  Her daughter's surgery was finished by someone else. 

Thanks for the beautiful spring flower photos.

My mother appears to have improved tremendously in the week before I arrived, so (for example) she is now able to bathe herself and is also going up and down stairs independently.  I'm relieved for the improvements; however, she has issues with her sight and with her memory.  She asked last night if my name was Kareni.  Ageing certainly presents challenges for the ageing and those who love them.

As to reading, I started a book before my first flight, read it on the plane, during my layover, and throughout my second flight.  With perfect timing, I finished it as the landing gear descended.  It was an enjoyable way to pass the time ~  Kristen Ashley's Walk Through Fire.

I'm on my sister's computer and have no idea how to provide links.  In fact, it's a HP ENVY computer -- if anyone knows how to accomplish what I can usually do by right clicking on a link, please let me know. 

Regards,

Kareni

:grouphug: and best wishes to her.

I know nothing of Envys but found this for the Envy laptop with touchpad. Not sure it is what you mean.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/how-to-use-touchpad-to-highlight-copy-and-paste/td-p/2867071

I was just writing up  a review on the book about memory that I read last week. As I did that I remembered that I forgot to mention in my post here that I had all kinds of thoughts as I was reading it because it briefly talked about memory & education and I figured it would be of interest to the homeschoolers who do a lot of memory work.

Anyway, I also was thinking a lot about how it addressed memory as we age. Of course, I thought of my grandmother who couldn't remember my name in her final years. She did come up with a new name for me, though, and responded to me more warmly than with her nursing assistants. 

I'm actually sticking with a novel (A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler) that I started this week and was tempted to abandon. But I just got to a part where memory issues are mentioned (that would be my third book with memory as a theme in a week) so I'm trying to finish it.

• Like 7

So far so good.

Dd was a little afraid today.

So we talk a lot.

Afteral she decided that our cats don't seem to be afraid, so she also should not be afraid...

: )

It is nice when the cats reenforce you. And how very observant of your daughter! She would make a good scientist, I think.

Nan

• Like 8

Loesje, :grouphug:  for your dd.

I like her cat logic. I use a similar version as we live in a tornado-prone area. I have always told my dc that if the cats start behaving oddly, pay attention. They may be able to sense things long before we are.

Re: the Jesuit schooling posts. My fil was taught by Jesuits. I have always said he is one of the smartest & most logical people I know. His education was definitely strong.

• Like 7

:grouphug: and best wishes to her.

I know nothing of Envys but found this for the Envy laptop with touchpad. Not sure it is what you mean.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/how-to-use-touchpad-to-highlight-copy-and-paste/td-p/2867071

Thanks for the kind words as well as the Envy information.  I have since been given a computer tutorial by phone by my daughter, so I'm now in the know.  (Mostly!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch (#3 in Charles Lennox series) - This book was only 50% mystery and the rest was politics.  At the best of times I don't like politics but right now I can't stand it.  I wish it had more mystery because that's the good part!

Lady - are you reading any more of this series? 

• Like 8

I'll update more in a bit, but I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you to whoever recommended "All Creatures Great and Small" on here a few weeks back. I've been immersed in it every spare minute for the past few days and am adoring it!! 

I don't know if it was me that recommended it or not but I'm glad you are enjoying it.  My imaginary love affair with James Herriot is well known around these parts. 

• Like 9

Loesje - :grouphug: :grouphug: to you and your family.  I like your daughter's logic. :-)

Kareni,  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  to you too.  Aging and memory loss are so hard.

Re: Isabel Allende - I have loved many of her books, particularly The House of the Spirits and Eva Luna.  Her story of her daughter, Paula, is so beautiful (and so sad).  I did not know two others of her children had died.  I went to a bookstore talk to see her long ago, when either Eva Luna or The Stories of Eva Luna came out.  I had a book signed by her, but stupidly lent it out and never saw it again.  She was so interesting to listen to.  I haven't checked out her most recent books; I think the last one I read was Daughter of Fortune and there was something about it I did not like; she seemed to take a turn in her style then and I never sought out more.  I may need to revisit some of her stories again.  Oh, and so sad to hear her marriage broke up.  I remember her speaking very lovingly of her husband at that book talk. 

I finished two books last night and this morning. 

The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters was my audiobook.  It was a light, easy, listen.  Good for the car because if I got distracted I didn't have to go back to see what I missed. I This is the 2nd in the series.  I find I tire of series easily so it'll be a while before I go on to the next.

My Antonia was a homeschool read - my daughter is reading it too, though way more slowly than I did.  I love this book.  I haven't spent much time in the flat midwest, and it doesn't seem attractive to me, except when I'm reading this book.  It's just a treasure. 

Now my main books are Anna Karenina and history and geology texts, but I also downloaded Great Expectations on audio.

2016 Reading:

1.  Basin and Range, John McPhee

2.  Austenland, Shannon Hale

3. The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, Gabrielle Zevin

4. The Lady in the Van, Alan Bennett

5. In Suspect Terrain, John McPhee

6. Jamaica Inn, Daphne duMaurier

7. A Dangerous Mourning, Anne Perry

8. Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Susan Vreeland

9.  Defend and Betray, Anne Perry

10. Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt

11. The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

12. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

13. A Test of Wills, Charles Todd

14. The Original Miss Honeyford, Marion Chesney

15.  David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

16. What Angels Fear, C. S. Harris

17. The Curse of the Pharaohs, Elizabeth Peters

18. My Antonia, Willa Cather

In December we moved from Nebraska back to our home state of CA. Oddly enough I decided that was the time to finally sit down and read My Antonia :) I don't think I would have been able to appreciate it the way I do having lived out on that seemingly endless open prairie. 

"I had the feeling that the world was left behind, that we had got over the edge of it, and were outside man's jurisdiction."

"Between that earth and that sky I felt erased, blotted out. I did not say my prayers that night: here, I felt, what would be would be."

That's exactly how I felt living there. I really loved the book, though I wished the end would have been different for Antonia. But, I think it is a must read for everyone, I can't believe it wasn't required in my high school.

• Like 11

Who pointed out that we were entitled to Boston Public Library cards even though we don,t live in Boston?

My husband and I are just finishing up a a free ASL class through them! This is something I,ve been wanting to do for some time. I am trying to be proactive about hearing loss. Since it may come with a certain amount of fuzziness, I want us to learn and start using some now, so it is somewhat automatic when we get to that point. If we get there... Hearing loss runs in both our families. Maybe this will reduce frustration. Anyway, thank you!

Nan

Eta And they have Terry Pratchett audiobooks!!!

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 14

I finished the first section in The High Mountains of Portugal. The book is written as three separate but connected tales. Again, Yann Martel has not written a story as much as an allegory or parable. In the first part, he takes you on a not so typical quest, an odd pilgrimage for enlightenment. When together you reach the holy grail...well. I think this will be another of his books that people either hate or wish to spend time pondering. I must admit, I fell into the trap of thinking the first tale was meandering and mundane, only to realize at the end that I may have missed some pertinent metaphors and symbolism. I may skim back over it before I move on to the next section.

So much for reading three months of fluff.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 9

I've read a few books over the past few days ~

Fatal Scandal by Marie Force ~ http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Scandal-Marie-Force/dp/0373004087/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458832949&sr=8-1&keywords=fatal+scandal+marie+force

This is eighth in a series and I enjoyed it.  I fear somehow that I managed to skip book seven, but I read on anyway.  Do start with book one if you choose to read this romantic suspense series. 

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas ~ http://www.amazon.com/Dreaming-You-Lisa-Kleypas/dp/038077352X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458833169&sr=1-1&keywords=dreaming+of+you+lisa+kleypas

This is a historical romance; it is a book with many fans.  I'd read it previously on a visit to my sister's and had left the book here.  It was fun to find it on the shelf and re-read it.

I also re-read a couple of pieces by Sarina Bowen.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I love the idea of the note and bookmark with your email. Before email and kindles I always left a trail of books behind me in hotel lobbies. I did sometimes wonder who picked them up.

I still see spots where people have left books behind to share when we travel but generally don't pick any up because of my Kindle being ready with a stack.

• Like 5

My sister-in-law's library is doing something like that.  She gave me a copy of the flyer, which I lost.  It sounded a lot like GeoCoins or Travel Bugs from Geocaching, in that you take a book, read it, log it online somewhere, and return it somewhere else.  You can donate some of your own and watch to see where they go.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.  Counterpart to the last book I read.  Discusses the recent phenomenon of young men who live in their parents' basement playing computer games at the age they used to get jobs, get married, buy a home, etc.  

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 8

Nice photographs of the stacks of books, and I'd probably take one. But am I the only OCD one here who worried about rain or dew ruining books that didn't get picked up? And while the stacks look great it makes it hard to browse...

• Like 11

Nice photographs of the stacks of books, and I'd probably take one. But am I the only OCD one here who worried about rain or dew ruining books that didn't get picked up? And while the stacks look great it makes it hard to browse...

Yes, I had the same thought as regards water damage.  Hopefully, all the books would be nabbed before too much time passes.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Yeah, I'd most likely take one, read it, & email the artist who left them out. And what if you wanted the one on the very bottom of the pile? :lol:

I too wondered about rain damage.

• Like 5

I finished All Roads Lead Home by Diane Greenwood Muir. I was generous and gave it 3 stars. This author needs a good editor. The dialogue at the beginning of the book felt stilted and contrived and, at times, unbelievable. By the time I finished the book, some of the characters had grown on me and I thought that maybe I would look for the sequel. Alas, it is published by Amazon and is not available as an e-book from the library. Since my goal this year was to read books I either owned, were free kindle books, or I could get from the library (zero book spending in an already book saturated home), I passed.

My current reads include Saltbound: A Block Island Winter by Chilton Williamson (I'm still trudging along in this - only because I know the place), The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie, The Bark of the Bog Owl by Jonathan Rogers (pre-reading for DS), and SWB's The History of the Ancient World.

I finished section two and am working on section three of The High Mountains of Portugal. Let's just say it's a little bizarre and somewhat sacriligious. Now I know lots of people will hate it. There are certain elements each story has in common so far: the death of a main character's wife, religion, a chimpanzee, and the high mountains of Portugal. I'm reserving final judgment till the book is done. In this last section the new main character, after the death of his wife, has just bought a chimpanzee and is moving to Portugal. I have to find out how this ends.

• Like 6

Amongst Women by John McGahern was not a novel with which I was familiar when Eliana mentioned it in these threads last year.  Published in 1990, Amongst Women has since been recognized as one of the top 100 novels written in English by The Guardian.  In NPR's series You Must Read This, award winning Irish author Colm Toibin tells us: 

The pacing of the novel is masterly; its rhythms are filled with hidden emotion. The writing is plain, un-showy, the pauses like pauses in a prayer or a ballad. It became, on publication in 1990, the novel by which Irish people measured their world, and then it became famous in England and in France for its beauty, wisdom and calm perfection. It is the sort of book which you can give anyone of any age and know that they will be changed by it. It took 10 years to write; its power will last for many centuries.

Amongst Women is plain--Eliana was reminded of Barbara Pym.  The writing is pared down to a sparse minimum yet speaks louder than books with many thousand more words.

The plot revolves around a domineering patriarch whose "family first" motto requires family to follow his expectations.  Despite being a jaded bully, Moran is beloved to his wife and daughters.  His relationships with his sons are more difficult. Love, fear and the land itself control what happens in this small holding.  The nightly ritual of the rosary and the steady pouring of cups of tea mark the passage of days and hours within.

Amongst Women reads easily but it is not an easy book to read.  I have not read a great deal of Irish literature so this was perhaps a good start point.

• Like 8

: )

It is nice when the cats reenforce you. And how very observant of your daughter! She would make a good scientist, I think.

Nan

:)

That is her big dillemma: studying Languages or studying science (preferable without math) so far I suggested the solution to study science in the UK: science in another language (although we use American science texts since grade 2).

dd likes cats, and cats like dd...

• Like 6

I finished a couple of books yesterday: Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the Wars of the Roses.  I liked it. I liked it a lot better than Dan Jones's rather shallow overview. I like how the author acknowledged all the points of contention in the historical record, looked at the contemporary evidence, and was very comfortable saying - look, here's what we know, and here's what we don't, based on the evidence.  And many things, we may never have an answer to. I respect that - I think a lot of historians have an opinion and they use it to fill in the historical record when the evidence isn't there one way or the other. 

I also read This Census Taker, my first China Mieville novel.  Novella, really, it was a quick read, only about two hours altogether. It started slow, and I was not convinced I'd like it. But after about the first half an hour, it really grabbed me.  Not grabbed, snuck up on - I realized that I really cared about the main character and found myself breathlessly reading the last chapters to find out what would happen to him, even though you already know he survives because he's telling his childhood story. The "present" bits in the novel were odd and I don't think I really got them, but the flashback story was amazing and compelling. It was definitely an odd book, very modern (postmodern?) in structure, but I liked it a lot.

• Like 8

An email just arrived from Archipelago announcing the book tour being made by Greek author Christos Ikonomou and translator Karen Emmerich.  I mentioned his heart wrenching stories in the collection Something Will Happen, You'll See earlier in the week.  If you are one of the fortunate near the cities they are visiting, this might be of interest.

• Like 5

Yes. I didn't expect to find so many that look interesting because Buzzfeed writers and I usually disagree on what is a good book. :D

Lol. That's how I feel about recipes I find on Buzzfeed. The pics look great but the ones I've tried tasted either bland or awful.

(((Loesje))) 

I am not getting into Timeless. I want to but it's kind of boring as they are sllloooowwwlly making their way to Egypt. I'll push through and finish it! 

Anyone want to recommend what I should read next?

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

The Iron Will of Shoeshine Cats by Hesh Kestin

• Like 7

Well, I've got some good news: I didn't lose custody off dd this week, nor did she get court ordered to school.

I've got bad news too: That doesn't mean those things won't happen later. We've been referred from the Federal Circuit court to the Family Court, which means 80 grand down the drain and we have to start over.

Fun times...

• Like 4

Well, I've got some good news: I didn't lose custody off dd this week, nor did she get court ordered to school.

I've got bad news too: That doesn't mean those things won't happen later. We've been referred from the Federal Circuit court to the Family Court, which means 80 grand down the drain and we have to start over.

Fun times...

Sending hugs your way, Rosie. I take good news whenever I can get it!

• Like 8

:)

That is her big dillemma: studying Languages or studying science (preferable without math) so far I suggested the solution to study science in the UK: science in another language (although we use American science texts since grade 2).

dd likes cats, and cats like dd...

One of the dc's good friend's is studying chemistry in Dutch. She is Dutch but lived in the US and Uk from age 4 so Dutch definitely is not her best language or wasn't. ;) Her younger siblings have decided to stay in English schools, I think. She is doing well now after 1 1/2 years. We saw her over Christmas which was lovely. We all missed her.

(((Loesje)))

I am not getting into Timeless. I want to but it's kind of boring as they are sllloooowwwlly making their way to Egypt. I'll push through and finish it!

Anyone want to recommend what I should read next?

Lol.

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

The Iron Will of Shoeshine Cats by Hesh Kestin

I will second the Angelmaker suggestion. It is one of my favourites.

Some other ones that are favourites here that I don't think you have tried are:

Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series

Anne Bishop's Other's series. The Other's is one I am pretty sure you would love, starts with Written in Red.

I have also been enjoying Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series which is paranormal.

If you feel like historical mysteries:

Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily books, start with And Only to Deceive.

Anna Lee Huber and her Lady Darby series.

Sorry no links, really slow internet.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7