Menu

How thin is too thin for a teenaged boy?

All of the guys in our family are thin, but not that thin. Are you sure he's eating enough? The guys in our family have really high metabolisms, and they burn a ton of calories a day. While I watch my calories and fat intake, growing kids actually need more, so I have to make sure I don't starve everyone along with me. LOL

Maybe add nuts?

My 16-year old ds is very thin. He is 6'1-6'2" and weighs around 125 pounds. He looks almost emaciated (I hate using that word). Any advice? I'm worried.

As someone who has a dd who is extremely thin, I say look at HIM. Is he healthy? Does he eat properly? Does he have energy for working and playing? If the answer to all the above is yes, you don't worry about it. You do provide plenty of food. Plenty of protein based snacks. If he is like my dd, it is just how he is. (She eats PLENTY, much more than her much stockier twin.)

• Like 1

That is Really thin. Could he possibly have an eating disorder?

I really, really don't think so. I have never restricted what he eats. If I ate what he does, I'd be overweight. He hasn't been physically active for a couple of years, but he has begun playing roller hockey again in the last few weeks. Last week he participated in an outing with our youth group and after running some, he threw up. He also gets sick sometimes after practice. That bothers me. He had a scrimmage game yesterday and last night around 2am he threw up. He's still asleep right now (it's 11am here). At first, I thought the heat may have been a factor in his getting sick after physical exertion because it's so stinkin' hot and humid here, but that wouldn't be a factor for last night's episode.

I really, really don't think so. I have never restricted what he eats. If I ate what he does, I'd be overweight. He hasn't been physically active for a couple of years, but he has begun playing roller hockey again in the last few weeks. Last week he participated in an outing with our youth group and after running some, he threw up. He also gets sick sometimes after practice. That bothers me. He had a scrimmage game yesterday and last night around 2am he threw up. He's still asleep right now (it's 11am here). At first, I thought the heat may have been a factor in his getting sick after physical exertion because it's so stinkin' hot and humid here, but that wouldn't be a factor for last night's episode.

That's a lot of throwing up! Poor guy. Is he feeling well otherwise? Are the other kids he's playing with throwing up? A trip to the ped won't hurt.

Okay, so I'm assuming you see what he eats. He doesn't spend time in the bathroom after meals, right?

He may be totally fine, but I admit, I would be worried. I'm 5'6" and I look way too thin at 125.

As someone who has a dd who is extremely thin, I say look at HIM. Is he healthy? Does he eat properly? Does he have energy for working and playing? If the answer to all the above is yes, you don't worry about it. You do provide plenty of food. Plenty of protein based snacks. If he is like my dd, it is just how he is. (She eats PLENTY, much more than her much stockier twin.)

He does not eat a lot of healthy foods. He likes to eat junk like hot pockets, pizza rolls, etc. but I think most teenagers like those kinds of foods. He looks like he is starving. His chest and back are very bony.

That's a lot of throwing up! Poor guy. Is he feeling well otherwise? Are the other kids he's playing with throwing up? A trip to the ped won't hurt.

Okay, so I'm assuming you see what he eats. He doesn't spend time in the bathroom after meals, right?

He may be totally fine, but I admit, I would be worried. I'm 5'6" and I look way too thin at 125.

He's feeling fine otherwise. I haven't noticed anyone else getting sick and I have not noticed him going to the bathroom. He gets nervous easily, so I'm wondering if perhaps it could be his thyroid?. I think I will call the doctor tomorrow and schedule a check-up. Now I'm :crying:. He's never interested in doing anything with the family. He's content to hang out in his room.

He does not eat a lot of healthy foods. He likes to eat junk like hot pockets, pizza rolls, etc. but I think most teenagers like those kinds of foods. He looks like he is starving. His chest and back are very bony.

Oh yes, they love them. Does he eat plenty? Eat regularly? Eat a good variety of foods?

The fact that you are concerned means there may be a problem. Mothers tend to have good instincts. His vomiting is somewhat concerning. You could try Boost milkshakes to try to get some weight on him. Peanut butter is a great high fat, high protein food. Calorie and nutrition dense. You can add it into the milkshake!

Laura,

My son will be 16 in Nov. He's the same height and weight as your son. He was at the doctor earlier this year for stomach problems (he actually had an ulcer) and the doctor was not concerned about his height and weight.

My husband was very similar when he was a teen. When I met him he was barely 160lbs. and he's 6'5". That's a BMI of 19 but he was very thin.

If he follows his dad's pattern, he will fill out at about 22. Of course, a trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt if you're worried.

He's feeling fine otherwise. I haven't noticed anyone else getting sick and I have not noticed him going to the bathroom. He gets nervous easily, so I'm wondering if perhaps it could be his thyroid?. I think I will call the doctor tomorrow and schedule a check-up. Now I'm :crying:. He's never interested in doing anything with the family. He's content to hang out in his room.

Maybe he is nervous..or it is just his body regulating to new exercise and heat. How long have you been in Japan? Could he still be regulating to a different climate? No reason to get upset right now..it could be a number of reasonable things but taking him for a checkup is a good idea so you can get some facts and make sure everything is kosher..I will be praying for him and you and hoping you get good news and he puts on some weight soon.

Laura,

My son will be 16 in Nov. He's the same height and weight as your son. He was at the doctor earlier this year for stomach problems (he actually had an ulcer) and the doctor was not concerned about his height and weight.

My husband was very similar when he was a teen. When I met him he was barely 160lbs. and he's 6'5". That's a BMI of 19 but he was very thin.

If he follows his dad's pattern, he will fill out at about 22. Of course, a trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt if you're worried.

That's reassuring. I'm 5'6" and 122-125, so I guess I'm on the "thin" side. He's just so thin, I worry that if he ever gets really sick it would be harder for him to get well since he has no extra weight to lose.

My DH has always thrown up after lots of physical activity. I think some people just have weak muscles at the top of their stomach.

Could you increase the protein in his diet? That might help him bulk up a bit.

Having said all that, my brother was a beanpole at that age. I suspect his height/weight would have been similar. Once he stopped growing upwards he started growing outward.

Maybe he is nervous..or it is just his body regulating to new exercise and heat. How long have you been in Japan? Could he still be regulating to a different climate? No reason to get upset right now..it could be a number of reasonable things but taking him for a checkup is a good idea so you can get some facts and make sure everything is kosher..I will be praying for him and you and hoping you get good news and he puts on some weight soon.

Thank you, Kissy. We've been here since July. I will definitely call the doctor tomorrow. I just get emotional sometimes.

My hsing athlete is very thin. She does not have an eating disorder, but does have an incredibly fast metabolism, coupled with substantial workouts! She needs to eat a lot, and she sometimes her appetite doesn't match her needs.

So I try to make the calories count. Lots of avocado, nuts, and nut butters. She is also the child who gets whole milk smoothies and such. I make sure to swirl a larger amount of olive oil into her pasta and salads etc. I try to make her calories of the highest quality. She can't do without the nutrition and calories, and she doesn't have a huge appetite.

Edited by LibraryLover

To explore possibilities. I'd be worried about a parasite.

That said, my husband was 125 when he graduated from high school. He was 6'0" so that's a little shorter than your son, and it was really really really thin. He was very active and he ate legendary amounts of food, so I think it was his metabolism.

He is no longer particularly thin:)

I did have him checked out by the doctor, because he doesn't have the energy of his younger brother. The doctor ran some tests, asked about his diet and decided he was just thin. One of my elder brothers has always been thin - he can't keep weight on, even now in his fifties.

Laura

my son is about the same weight, and 6'3. he looks like a skeleton. he hasn't put on any muscle yet. apparently it isn't unusual for tall boys to grow tall, and then start putting on muscle after.

my sons back is completely covered in stretch marks from growing so quickly!

Thank you! That sounds just like my son.

Has he always been this thin?

If he hasn't, not meaning to be gross, but you are living in a foreign country, do you think he might have eaten something that could have given him parasite?:blushing:

That could defiantly stop a kid from gaining weight properly and cause them to be sick. It might be something worth looking into.

Oh, buy the way, as much as people want to think that fat and protein will help or cause you to gain weight, it won't. You need a lot of carbs and sugar to gain weight. Protein will help you gain muscle.

He's always been thin. And as he grows taller it seems he just gets thinner and thinner. I'm sure he hasn't picked up anything. He's too particular about food, etc. He hasn't tried any local cuisine.

Oh, good!:lol:

Then have him eat lots of icecream and doughnuts!!! If only that could be my diet!!!!

HI Laura,

What did the ped say?

My bro was quite thin as a child due to cystic fibrosis (I'm sure that's not the case for your ds) and he had to eat extra calories because his body didn't produce enough pancreatic "stuff" to break down his food properly so he could absorb all the nutrients (particularly the fat). He still drinks Ensure and Boost. You may want to add a high calorie milkshake everyday.

And I'll be listening to your reply--it does sound like thyroid to me. Also, have him screened for depression. It can manifest as anger, withdrawal, weight change (although you say he's always been thin), nervousness--I know your ds is a wonderful boy, but perhaps there's something in the normal wear and tear of growing up that he would benefit from talking about with someone skilled at listening. Your ped can do a screening; you don't have to go to a therapist.

Let me know how it turns out.

(And it was GREAT to talk with you the other night!!):D:D

My husband is 6'1". He hit that height early in high school and didn't weigh more than 130 until his mid-20s. He was also one of the most energetic people I ever knew and ate everything in sight.

So, it's not unheard of. But, yes, looking at pictures of him back then, he was really, really thin. So, if it were my kid, I'd probably take him to the doctor and get things checked out.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't notice at first that you said you'd already taken him in. You know, it's my experience that a lot of teen boys grow first and fill out later. I'm kind of dreading what my son will look like in a few years, given what I know about his dad and about how slender he is now.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

HI Laura,

What did the ped say?

My bro was quite thin as a child due to cystic fibrosis (I'm sure that's not the case for your ds) and he had to eat extra calories because his body didn't produce enough pancreatic "stuff" to break down his food properly so he could absorb all the nutrients (particularly the fat). He still drinks Ensure and Boost. You may want to add a high calorie milkshake everyday.

And I'll be listening to your reply--it does sound like thyroid to me. Also, have him screened for depression. It can manifest as anger, withdrawal, weight change (although you say he's always been thin), nervousness--I know your ds is a wonderful boy, but perhaps there's something in the normal wear and tear of growing up that he would benefit from talking about with someone skilled at listening. Your ped can do a screening; you don't have to go to a therapist.

Let me know how it turns out.

(And it was GREAT to talk with you the other night!!):D:D

Hi Chris!

I will call the doctor tomorrow morning. We're 13 hours ahead of you. I definitely want them to run some bloodwork, but I'm not looking forward to it because the last time he had blood drawn he nearly passed out. *sigh*

My guy has also gone through a skin and bones stage - at 5'5" he was 88 lbs - at 5'7" he got up to 102 lbs - the pediatrician insists he is very healthy and, as a slim guy, will live a long time! I have to remind this kid to eat something for breakfast before he goes to catch his 6:45am bus - he does take a protein bar to eat mid-morning as his lunch is not until after 1pm (he gets migraines if he does not eat/drink and he knows it!). I made him sign up for weight training instead of regular PE this year to see if he can build some muscle mass and look less skeletal (I do free weights at home - but they have girl cooties or mom cooties on them so he won't use them. ;) )

Sounds like your guy needs to eat better even if he won't eat more, and be sure to drink enough fluids before exerting himself. Would he perhaps be willing to hoist some free weights? You can get them used from local sports stores.

You need to read this book about soil microbes.

The guy was sick and he was tall and skinny. Had a bunch of maladies.

He started taking this soilular stuff (if that's a word) and it cured him.

As soon as I pictured your son as a tall underwieght child *THROWING UP* I saw the cover of this book. The author was sickly thin (not just teenage gauwky) and when his therapy of eating special soil organisms was complete he was radiantly healthy. If I am not mistaken he was a doctor.

I would take him in just to make sure. I was thinking that he could just be very thin and his body will catch up. My brothers were always very thin. My son is 5'8" and I was thrilled that he finally broke 110 lbs. But when you say that he throws up after exertion and that he hangs out in his room, that would concern me. Does he have low blood sugar problems? That is usually accompanied by mood swings, but throwing up can be part of that.

My son is 16 and 6'1' and weighs 134 pounds. Are you or your husband thin or use to be thin. It wouldnt hurt to take him to the dr.

He sound like a noraml teenage boy , other than the throwing up.

We moved to Japan almost 3 years ago and it took my son a while to get use to living over sea.

My son (16) is a runner, in excellent shape, eats like a horse, and used to occasionally throws up after cross-country/distance track events. It's gotten better now that he knows not to eat for a certain period of time before an event. If you google "exercise induced vomiting", you'll see LOTS of evidence that this is not unusual. Even if you have an empty stomach, some people can get extremely nauseated after exercise.

That being said, and despite anecdotes from other posters, I would be quite concerned about your son's low weight and I'm glad to see you're seeing a physician about it. My running son was also quite underweight for a while (BMI<18) but he has bulked up doing weights and eating a healthy, high-calorie diet. He was a little fussed about upping his fat intake, but we convinced him that (a) he needs fat in his diet to store certain nutrients and (b) certain fats are actually good for you and should be eaten (in moderation). He is about 5'11" and 140 pounds which puts him at a BMI of 19.5, so we're okay with that (as is his doctor).

Best of luck to you and your son.

My son is very tall and thin, but he's never looked unhealthy to me. And if he looks unhealthy to anyone else, they've never had the nerve to say so. ;) Junk food makes my son physically ill -- which is not to say he doesn't still want to eat it! :lol:

I don't know if it's a recent realization or not, but there is more and more in the news lately about how, even though American's are "bigger" many are suffering from malnutrition. They are eating more, but are suffering a deficit from a nutrition standpoint. Just because he consumes a lot of calories doesn't mean they're doing anything for him.

If this were my son, if it weren't for the throwing up stuff, I'd start by improving his diet. But since he *is* throwing up, and that's not making sense to you (i.e., the heat and exertion, etc.) I would take him to a doctor -- and I don't "do" doctors. :)

I hope you get this figured out!

Update: I called this morning and he has an appointment for Wednesday morning (that's Tuesday night for you guys). I would appreciate prayer for the doctor's wisdom. Thanks so much!

Don't forget to post the update! I hope that (1) you find out what's up and (2) it's simple. :)

• 14 years later...