Menu

Please help! I need a vegetarian pot luck dish idea

Tap

We have been invited to a vegetarian pot luck wedding reception.  The couple are vegetarian and maybe a few other guests, but none of the rest of the family are.  

Due to this, I think that most of the family will bring simple things like fruit, bread, humus etc.

I would like to bring a more savory dish, but need the ingredients be fairly easy for the non-vegetarians to eat.  (They aren't likely to try a tofu dish etc).

Any ideas?

This black bean salad has been well received at potlucks. It does well made ahead of time and it tastes fine room temp if it has to sit out.

Black Bean Salad

For the salad:

3 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained

2 cups frozen corn, thawed

2 large tomatoes, diced (or petit diced from a can)

1 green pepper, diced

1 red or yellow pepper, diced

1/2 cup chopped red onion

3/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional

For the dressing:

2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar

2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 lime or lemon, juiced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or pinch of cayenne

1/2-1 teaspoon salt

Combine the salad ingredients. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss gently to mix. Can be made in advance.

Notes: I like to use green, red, yellow and orange peppers if they look good. I also prefer to use petit diced tomatoes from a can when produce tomatoes look tasteless. I just substitute what looks like a good amount to me at the time. I prefer lime and cayenne for the dressing. If starting beans from scratch use 11/2 cups dry beans.

• Like 2

Macaroni and cheese would be nice and hearty and both kids and adults usually like it.  I like simple things for potlucks because so many people avoid casseroles when they can't identify what's in there. They might love my veggie lasagna but some would avoid it because they don't know if it has mushrooms or some other food they avoid. But mac and cheese...pretty easy to tell what's in there. 

• Like 3

There is a stuffed green peppers recipe on the Ancient Harvest quinoa box.  It's basically quinoa mixed with some mushrooms and onions and salsa all cooked together.  When I feel lazy I don't stuff any peppers, just make a mixture and serve it with some bread.  I like it hot and cold. 

There is that ramen noodle cabbage salad which is pretty standard fare in my circles.  Roasted slivered almonds, shredded cabbage (if you buy the mix, the carrots and red cabbage make it prettier), crumbled ramen, possibly sesame seeds.  Make your own dressing with oil and sugar (with a little soy sauce, IIRC).  Yummy!

• Like 2

If it's vegetarian, not vegan food that I'm looking for, I would make something out of this cookbook: 

http://www.amazon.com/Savory-Baking-Inspiring-Recipes-Crisp-ebook/dp/B00D9FRNGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458228481&sr=8-1&keywords=savory+baking

This cookbook is fantastic.  It applies baking techniques to savory rather than sweet food.  I particularly like the cheesecake made with blue cheese, and the wild mushroom soufflés in ramekins (can also be made in a big soufflé dish).  If you get it, the chicken Dijon brown betty is another fantastic recipe though not for vegetarians, clearly.  And the goat cheese/dried apricot cheese straws are wonderful appetizers.

I'm a vegetarian and go to lots of potluck.  Have you worked with phyllo dough? Can you make a spanikopita? That is always a huge hit.  Lasagna is vegatarian if you don't use a meat sauce. A couple quiches look lovely on a table. I have hosted a couple potlucks and made about 5 quiches and they were gobbled up. You can make a variety, and they will look so pretty.  If you don't like to make pie crust then you can buy pre-made crust...just don't buy pillsbury b/c it is made with lard.  You need a vegetarian crust.

• Like 2

There is that ramen noodle cabbage salad which is pretty standard fare in my circles.  Roasted slivered almonds, shredded cabbage (if you buy the mix, the carrots and red cabbage make it prettier), crumbled ramen, possibly sesame seeds.  Make your own dressing with oil and sugar (with a little soy sauce, IIRC).  Yummy!

I make this salad regularly and it is very popular even with picky eaters.  Like my in-laws - LOL. 

I make a lentil chili regularly that is very filling and it's vegan.  You can put like cheese and sour cream on the side to dress it up for dairy eaters.  Corn chips and cilantro are also good chili sides.

• Like 1

I love that salad!  Around here it's got broccoli slaw in it too.  

Dressing

1 cup salad oil

½ cup sugar

1/3 cup rice vinegar (not rice wine vinegar)

2 flavor packets from Ramen Noodles

Crunchies

1 cup sliced toasted almonds

3 tbsp sesame seeds

3 packages of Ramen Noodles (chicken flavor)

Butter

Salad

2 packages of broccoli slaw (it’s usually by the other bagged salads)

1 cup shredded red cabbage

½ cup sliced scallion

Make dressing by whisking together the dressing ingredients.

Before opening Ramen packages, break noodles up by gently hitting the packages with a tenderizing hammer. Brown the Ramen noodles, almonds and sesame seeds in pan with butter over medium heat. (add sesame seeds last as they brown very quickly) let mixture cool and set aside.

Make the salad by mixing together the salad ingredients.

Just before serving mix together the salad, crunchies and dressing.

This makes a lot of salad! For a smaller group of people, cut the recipe in half. 

• Like 2

I love that salad!  Around here it's got broccoli slaw in it too.  

Dressing

1 cup salad oil

½ cup sugar

1/3 cup rice vinegar (not rice wine vinegar)

2 flavor packets from Ramen Noodles

Crunchies

1 cup sliced toasted almonds

3 tbsp sesame seeds

3 packages of Ramen Noodles (chicken flavor)

Butter

Salad

2 packages of broccoli slaw (it’s usually by the other bagged salads)

1 cup shredded red cabbage

½ cup sliced scallion

Make dressing by whisking together the dressing ingredients.

Before opening Ramen packages, break noodles up by gently hitting the packages with a tenderizing hammer. Brown the Ramen noodles, almonds and sesame seeds in pan with butter over medium heat. (add sesame seeds last as they brown very quickly) let mixture cool and set aside.

Make the salad by mixing together the salad ingredients.

Just before serving mix together the salad, crunchies and dressing.

This makes a lot of salad! For a smaller group of people, cut the recipe in half. 

I make something similar to this, and I always throw in some mandarin oranges too. Yummy!

• Like 1

Spinach lasagna

Spinach quiche

Vegetarian spring roll if you are in the mood to DIY and deep fry - we buy frozen premade to deep fry and my kids finish them fast

Vegetarian steam (dim sum) buns if you are really adventurous - premade frozen store bought aren't as yummy

I make a mild crock pot chili. I run four quarts of tomatoes through the blender and puree/liquefy, add two cans of pinto beans and two cans of kidney beans, lots of cumin and garlic, and only a very mild amount of chili powder.

It is always popular, nourishing, and inexpensive.

I make a mild crock pot chili. I run four quarts of tomatoes through the blender and puree/liquefy, add two cans of pinto beans and two cans of kidney beans, lots of cumin and garlic, and only a very mild amount of chili powder.

It is always popular, nourishing, and inexpensive.

Ok, pleeeeeeze pretty pleeeeeeze, define lots of cumin and garlic. Teaspoons? Tablespoons?   :bigear:  I need a new fast chili :) 

My cousin is vegetarian and at her wedding they served a pasta dish with olives, sun dried tomatoes, and feta cheese.  It was delicious.  I don't think any of the non-vegetarian guests minded.  It was similar to this, but I thought it was hot...not cold.  (It's been awhile.)  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tomato-feta-pasta-salad-recipe.html

Other ideas would be Greek spinach pies, quiche, samosas (pea/potato), or even pierogis.

Edited by umsami

OH my goodness. I don't know. I literally put it in there, stir, put more in, and repeat tasting each time until I like it, LOL.

I would say that for a gallon of chili I am literally using like a tablespoon or more of cumin and possibly that much of granulated garlic.

I am one of those ridiculous cooks that kind of tosses and goes without real measurements which is why I try to avoid baking like the plague because it isn't very forgiving.

• Like 1

Fwiw, any recipes you have that take ground beef can be replicated pretty much exactly with Yves Just Like Ground or the Gardein Beefless Ground. 

Lasagna is super easy to make with it. If you want to make it vegan, use tofu in the middle layer & top with Daiya non dairy mozza.