Menu

So if you watched the debate, who do you think won?

Who won the first debate?  

1. 1. Who won the first debate?

• McCain
    • Obama
    • Was not clear.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a bit dry, but overall pretty interesting. I don't think I learned a single new thing, but I was glad I watched it. And you? Did it affect your vote?

No, it didn't affect my vote. I've made an informed decision to vote for Obama and I'm increasingly comfortable with that decision, although I don't agree with every jot and tittle of his platform.

Despite my preference, I was able to listen (on NPR) to the debate objectively ~ as evidenced by the fact that I think McCain was the clear winner. From the get-go, he had the upper hand. His trump card was his experience, and he played it well. His very tone ~ perhaps more noticeable if one was listening, rather than viewing ~ was steadier and more reassuring. He came across more experienced and more informed. He didn't allow himself to go on the defensive or lapse into rant/rave mode. He maintained a certain disassociation from the current administration (regardless of the accuracy of said disassociation). In short, he was more Presidential.

Obama came across as a the junior Senator that he is. Of course I agreed with him more often than not (not always, e.g. I disagree that we should direct more funding to early education programs). Still, his presentation left much to be desired. He didn't hone in on some of McCain's inconsistencies. He repeatedly started with, "Senator McCain is absolutely right", or was put on the defensive ("I never said that...", "That's not true..."). Combined with his unfortunate penchant for inserting "uh" several times into each statement, it was a weak performance.

Tonight's debate reaffirmed my sense that McCain will win the election, which is why I'm so very disappointed with his VP selection. I'm appalled at the notion of Sarah Palin serving in that position and could better swallow a McCain victory if someone worthy of serving as the Vice President was on his ticket.

ETA: Following the debate, most NPR commentators claimed the debate was even, which to me is yet another indication that McCain won. These are people who, bottom line, support Obama; they can't hide their true colors. I wouldn't expect them to state outright that McCain came out ahead but calling it even, imo, is saying just as much.

Edited by Colleen

I forgot to add, that it bothered both my husband and I that Obama constantly referred to McCain as "John." This is not proper debate etiquette. I doubt they are close personal friends. He should have said Senator McCain.

I found that to be a political play. They supposedly talk on the phone occasionally and will certainly refer by first name, but in a debate it was not appropriate.

Obama is a vastly superior public speaker (to McCain and probably almost anyone else in the US!). We should expect that from a Harvard Law grad. Also he's a charismatic and gregarious guy who captivates his audience.

McCain comes across as a Little General. Lots of experience, heart of a lion, but rough around the edges.

The debates will have no bearing in my vote. I have several issues which are vital for my vote. No amount of debating will change that.

I agree. Thank you for your well-reasoned post.

I'm on the opposite end of things politically, but my impression of the debate (and the pundits) was very similar. Few of the reporters wanted to say that the debate was a clear win for McCain -- except on Fox, where there are some acknowledged conservative commentators.

I've decided to vote for McCain, though I'm uncomfortable with him in some ways. He's clearly very experienced. I respect his work ethic and the military sacrifices he made. Still, I'm concerned that he's not as fiscally conservative as I'd like him to be. I'm ready for an administration that is more small government oriented, and I'm not sure McCain will be that kind of president.

I agree with you though, about last night. McCain seemed more seasoned; Obama seemed to be a junior senator. He just seemed younger overall. (Which, of course he is -- by about 25 years. ;-)

The debate didn't change my vote or my opinion of either candidate, but it did reinforce my wish for more factual reporting. I'm tired of having to wade through biases in "news" coverage. I wish the major networks would keep their opinions to themselves. Failing that (unbiased reporting), I wish all reporters would admit their biases/opinions, as many commentators on Fox do.

Lisa

No, it didn't affect my vote. I've made an informed decision to vote for Obama and I'm increasingly comfortable with that decision, although I don't agree with every jot and tittle of his platform.

Despite my preference, I was able to listen (on NPR) to the debate objectively ~ as evidenced by the fact that I think McCain was the clear winner. From the get-go, he had the upper hand. His trump card was his experience, and he played it well. His very tone ~ perhaps more noticeable if one was listening, rather than viewing ~ was steadier and more reassuring. He came across more experienced and more informed. He didn't allow himself to go on the defensive or lapse into rant/rave mode. He maintained a certain disassociation from the current administration (regardless of the accuracy of said disassociation). In short, he was more Presidential.

Obama came across as a the junior Senator that he is. Of course I agreed with him more often than not (not always, e.g. I disagree that we should direct more funding to early education programs). Still, his presentation left much to be desired. He didn't hone in on some of McCain's inconsistencies. He repeatedly started with, "Senator McCain is absolutely right", or was put on the defensive ("I never said that...", "That's not true..."). Combined with his unfortunate penchant for inserting "uh" several times into each statement, it was a weak performance.

Tonight's debate reaffirmed my sense that McCain will win the election, which is why I'm so very disappointed with his VP selection. I'm appalled at the notion of Sarah Palin serving in that position and could better swallow a McCain victory if someone worthy of serving as the Vice President was on his ticket.

ETA: Following the debate, most NPR commentators claimed the debate was even, which to me is yet another indication that McCain won. These are people who, bottom line, support Obama; they can't hide their true colors. I wouldn't expect them to state outright that McCain came out ahead but calling it even, imo, is saying just as much.

Despite my preference, I was able to listen (on NPR) to the debate objectively ~ as evidenced by the fact that I think McCain was the clear winner.

I think this might be an audio versus visual issue. Shades of JFK/Nixon, perhaps? McCain's body language was very stiff during the debate and he didn't look at Obama at all, even though Jim Lehrer kept trying to get them to address each other directly. I think that might also account for the difference in forms of address that McCain and Obama used during the debate.

Lots of experience, heart of a lion, but rough around the edges.

The debates will have no bearing in my vote. I have several issues which are vital for my vote. No amount of debating will change that.

I'm voting for McCain and Uh-Obama scares the wits out of me. McCain showed again that he has more substance, a more realistic plan for the many areas that need addressed. I was not happy at all with Obama's broad strokes but I've read both stances from their respective websites on the issues. Obama mentioned his Early Education plan, which is one area that makes me sick to my stomach, check out his Zero to Five Early Education plan as well as other areas of education.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

"Obama and Biden will require all schools of education to be accredited."

I don't want to ruffle Obama supporter feathers here on the board but I see Obama as someone trying to win an election by promising an Utopian outcome which will only lead to more government involvement in our lives and higher taxes in various avenues (sales, income, etc.) to pay for all his 'sounds good' ideas. I wanted to like Obama, my dh is a huge supporter of him but I am terrified of what will happen if he is elected president.

The spending is out of control already, reform needs to happen and I just don't see how developing new costly programs and government is going to help...it SOUNDS great- universal healthcare (I have no health insurance), 95% of Americans will not see higher income taxes...sounds wonderful but it scares me how much liberty and freedom we might stand to lose.

I prefer McCain's health insurance tax break, then we can afford health insurance and I can still pick a doctor I'm comfortable with, not who the government deems adequate.

We just thought he performed better, was more convincing and appealing, and seemed to control the debate. I'm surprised so many found Obama's performance superior.

I found Obama more substantive and thoughtful with less "stumpifying," but thought stylistically McCain won the day. He found his theme -- "just doesn't understand" -- very early and kept at it.

I expect to see several ads this week from both sides claiming, "Sen. X just doesn't understand." It was effective, and can be useful to both campaigns.

I voted "was not clear." As a McCain supporter, I was frustrated with him at times... I was actually yelling at the tv a bit (which is not like me!), when he kept bringing up "earmarks" when discussing the economy. I thought Obama did a good job of explaining that those amounts were relatively small in comparison with the other amounts being discussed, and yet McCain kept coming back to them. There were so many other things that people would want to hear about the economy and taxes, and I thought overemphasizing earmarks made McCain seem a bit petty and out of touch.

Overall, I liked Obama's style better-- his reasoning, his logic, his demeanor, etc. But I thought that McCain, when he was on point, had better content. I thought he did a good job of portraying himself as a leader who has been around the world, and has a thorough understanding of world events. He seemed like a man worthy of trust and respect because of his experience, while to me, Obama came off more as admirable because of his personality/character/intelligence traits, which are also important, but I'd give the edge to experience myself.

Erica

We just thought he performed better, was more convincing and appealing, and seemed to control the debate. I'm surprised so many found Obama's performance superior.

:iagree:

I sat down to watch the debate without favor to either side. Actually, it was pretty equal dislike for both sides.

As far as public speaking, people are saying that Obama is more eloquent. I, personally, just did not find that to be true. I think he is better at telling the American public what they want to hear, and I felt McCain was telling us what we needed to hear.

I am very tempted to vote for Obama. This poor economy has touched my family; we struggle financially, whereas 5 years ago, we were doing ok. The promises he makes are very pretty, and I so want to believe him. If we vote for Obama, we'll do better financially. He'll push for more environmentally friendly options. Just so many pretty promises...but eventually reality sets in, and no matter who gets elected, it's a long road.

McCain came across to me as someone who was reassuring with his experience and knowledge, and someone who is better suited to protect this country. I also agree with him that this is the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end. We do have a long road ahead, no matter who becomes elected.

Either way, I worry. But as far as the debate, as someone who has struggled a LOT with this election, I think McCain did better, and Obama was all pillow talk.

I think this might be an audio versus visual issue. Shades of JFK/Nixon, perhaps? McCain's body language was very stiff during the debate and he didn't look at Obama at all, even though Jim Lehrer kept trying to get them to address each other directly. I think that might also account for the difference in forms of address that McCain and Obama used during the debate.

I agree completely.

I can't get over the fact that McCain never looked at him during the debate.

If you're going to tell folks that you're willing to work with both liberals and conservatives, but you're not willing to even turn to face someone standing ten feet away from you when they're speaking, it just doesn't come across as believable.

I agree completely.

If you're going to tell folks that you're willing to work with both liberals and conservatives, but you're not willing to even turn to face someone standing ten feet away from you when they're speaking, it just doesn't come across as believable.

Actually in a debate you are not supposed to look at each other. I know this because my son is in debate. I have seen the kids in action and they do NOT look at each other. It is etiquete to not look at each other.

Obama made some errors in the actual debate rules. (referring Senator McCain by his first name and looking at him)

We were very frustrated with the debate. If this were a debate tournament McCain won. However Obama gave what people want to hear. I felt he was talking on a script because there were some thing that didn't make sense in the line of questioning. It was subtle though (not in your face make sense type of thing) He did speak so much better than has before which leads me to think that he has been fed lines after lines by his team on what to say if this question is asked.

Colleen...actually my dh thinks the undecided will vote for Obama based on the debate from last night. (we are voting for McCain/Palin) It is funny how you and my dh think opposite. edited to add: What he means by that was because of Obama's getting personal vs. McCain following the debate principals...He does agree that Obama didn't do a good job though. Just the way Obama talked and the way he got personal is why he thinks the undecided will go for him if they are in awe of him.

Anyway my vote will not change because Obama scares the crap out of me. I watch the debate to see how well things are going with both of them. It looked like the undecideds were in dead heat equally for both sides.

I didn't enjoy the debate though. There were things that McCain could have hit Obama on with the foreign policy in regards to Iran (Hezbollah) and the pullout of Iraq to go to Afganistan (which I think we should ignore Afganistan because Russia is going broke in Afganistan). I wish more emphasis were put on the economy though because of what McCain did in not going for the bailout (which I am glad). I wish he hit home more on what he didn't go for it. I know he did a bit but wish it was a whole lot more of that though. The kids in my son's debate club do a much better job than these two canidates did last night.

That is all...

Holly

Edited by Holly IN
needed to verify dh's reasoning

Obama made some errors in the actual debate rules. (referring Senator McCain by his first name and looking at him)

But Jim Lehrer was encouraging the candidates to move away from the debate concept to a conversation. He reminded the candidates to address each other, not just the audience or moderator.

So was the fault Obama's for poor debate form or Lehrer's for requesting that form be shelved?

Jane

I would make one point, Holly.... most of the American public isn't familiar with debate etiquette in a formal sense -- I didn't have a clue that it wasn't proper to look at the person you're debating -- I learn something new every day! :) ... they're going to view it as 'how do I want people to act when I'm talking?' and McCain gave me the distinct impression that the debate was, in his eyes, a complete waste of time and he wished he wasn't even on the stage with Obama .. as if he wasn't worthy of even a passing glance.

I can also see folks as seeing the lack of eye contact as indicative of deceit.

a lot of pillow fluff, appeared arrogant and you could tell McCain ruffled his feathers a few times. I thought he was disrespectful to McCain with his outbursts and speaking over him. I agree that when you debate, you don't look at the person. We're voting for McCain. Obama is too scary.

But Jim Lehrer was encouraging the candidates to move away from the debate concept to a conversation. He reminded the candidates to address each other, not just the audience or moderator.

So was the fault Obama's for poor debate form or Lehrer's for requesting that form be shelved?

Jane

The campaigns negotiate the specific rules for each Presidential and VPial debate, they're not following standard debating rules. Apparently, given Lehrer's insistence on the "talk to each other" point, that was supposed to be a feature of THIS debate.

I thought it was a bit dry, but overall pretty interesting. I don't think I learned a single new thing, but I was glad I watched it. And you? Did it affect your vote?

The debate did not change my vote. I am a McCain/Palin supporter (by default, he was not my first Republican pick) and, like others, find Obama scary because, for starters, too many older Americans listen to him and say that he "sounds just like Jimmy Carter" in what he's saying. :-{

That said - in my opinion I feel they both experienced stronger and weaker moments in their debating skills (most of which have already been cited by others in this thread so I'll not repeat). By the time the debate ended the most prominent thoughts in my mind were: "McCain left me feeling that I would be better protected from our enemies with his leadership and Obama can be a very smooth talker." Like others, I choose safety over finesse. :)

I think it is funny she did that. She has done it before. I agree with her too! :D

Holly

I thought we were supposed to be trying to discuss like adults, and keep our heads. Whatever your feelings about a candidate, name-calling does not further that, neither does cheering the name-calling.

I would make one point, Holly.... most of the American public isn't familiar with debate etiquette in a formal sense -- I didn't have a clue that it wasn't proper to look at the person you're debating -- I learn something new every day! :) ... they're going to view it as 'how do I want people to act when I'm talking?' and McCain gave me the distinct impression that the debate was, in his eyes, a complete waste of time and he wished he wasn't even on the stage with Obama .. as if he wasn't worthy of even a passing glance.

I can also see folks as seeing the lack of eye contact as indicative of deceit.

I do understand. I agree! The moderator shouldn't have done that though. He did do a good job over all. He should have known in a debate setting you are not to encourage that. I also can see average folks going with the no eye contact as a negative. Just think about it though....in a debate setting...if you and your aquaintence (which is in McCain/Obama's case) were debating I wouldn't want to look at you. It is not because I have deciet. It would be getting to personal....hence why it is easier to debate via internet than in person.... :D

I do understand what you are saying.

Holly

I thought we were supposed to be trying to discuss like adults, and keep our heads. Whatever your feelings about a candidate, name-calling does not further that, neither does cheering the name-calling.

:iagree:

It all comes down to respect -- which is the point I hope I was making about the lack of eye contact during the debate.

I respect John McCain. I've never said otherwise, here or elsewhere.

While my candidate of choice is referred to in very derrogative terms and described as 'scary'.

I do understand. I agree! The moderator shouldn't have done that though. He did do a good job over all. He should have known in a debate setting you are not to encourage that. I also can see average folks going with the no eye contact as a negative. Just think about it though....in a debate setting...if you and your aquaintence (which is in McCain/Obama's case) were debating I wouldn't want to look at you. It is not because I have deciet. It would be getting to personal....hence why it is easier to debate via internet than in person.... :D

I do understand what you are saying.

Holly

Whew! I got the point across! Thanks for the clarification, too! :)

I think it is funny she did that. She has done it before. I agree with her too! :D

Holly

Then it's ok if I go with McSame? Or the other ones I've read, starting with his high school nickname?

I think it's fine to think Sen. Obama did poorly with the "uh's" and the "and's." Quite frankly, I was about to go through the TV and grab his tie and yell, "Stop starting every statement in a row with 'and,' you goofball!" Dang. What do they teach people at Harvard Law School these days? He was better after awhile, so I calmed down a bit and just concentrated on uncrossing my eyes after each scene with Sen. McCain's tie. (OUCH!)

But it smacks of Limbaugh and Franken (snark commedian Franken, not his alter-ego candidate Franken) to call names. And if she's done it before, I missed it. I am surprised.

I'm not thrilled with either candidate. I will say that Obama has charisma. Charisma is short-lived. McCain, I like as a person, not thrilled with as a Presidential Candidate (concerns that he may be another Bush). However, McCain had this one in the bag. Obama was disrespectful and rude as far as debate etiquette is concerned (and I'm sure it was intentional). McCain continued on unphased.

Also, I find it interesting that Sis hasn't come back and answered the question "What did McCain say that was complete falsehood?"

I think it's fine to think Sen. Obama did poorly with the "uh's" and the "and's." Quite frankly, I was about to go through the TV and grab his tie and yell, "Stop starting every statement in a row with 'and,' you goofball!" Dang. What do they teach people at Harvard Law School these days?

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing!!

Hey folks, this is a good time to remind everyone that FactCheck.org has its analysis on the debate posted. Before misstatements or claims become "facts" in anyone's mind, it is always good to check this website.

Jane

Huh. They left some things out. One that comes to mind immediately is that Obama said in the debate that he never claimed he would meet with the leaders of Iran, North Korea, etc. without preconditions. However, in his debate in the primaries, when he was asked if he would, he answered "I would."

I couldn't stand the "talk to each other" thing!!!!!! It was stupid. This is a debate.

Dh and I, both Republicans who will most likely vote McCain, thought Obama won. I was surprised to come on here this morning and see that the majority thought McCain won.

:confused:

I'm not thrilled with either candidate. I will say that Obama has charisma. Charisma is short-lived. McCain, I like as a person, not thrilled with as a Presidential Candidate (concerns that he may be another Bush). However, McCain had this one in the bag. Obama was disrespectful and rude as far as debate etiquette is concerned (and I'm sure it was intentional). McCain continued on unphased.

Also, I find it interesting that Sis hasn't come back and answered the question "What did McCain say that was complete falsehood?"

Howso was he disrespectful? Was it the talking to Sen. McCain instead of the moderator? I have to say that I was surprised that he kept asking the candidates over and over to talk to one another and address their comments and replies to one another personally. Sen. Obama acquiesced to this after two requests, but Sen. McCain didn't and would not look at his opponent. Was this the etiquette you mean? They both interrupted one another and that annoyed me. :glare:

I saw Sen. McCain as condescending, but I think that was a deliberate attempt to make himself appear older and wiser and not anything racially motivated or whatnot. It was tactical and I think that it worked for a certain portion of his viewers.

Obama took many disrespectful missteps during last night's debate, the Uh-Obama was meant to be light-hearted and funny. If it wasn't true, then it wouldn't matter, right?

McSame is exactly what Obama wants everyone to believe, which is why he kept pushing "Bush and your stance" all night. He wants to play on the negative emotions of the current administration to win the election. I saw him clamoring to answer questions before McCain just so he wouldn't have to say, I agree with him or he's right.

If McCain had uh, uh, uh all over the debate, I'd be picking on him too- believe me, the media would be having a field day with it.

Colleen, I'm so glad you mentioned listening to it rather than watching. I think I'll try that next time. I could see how that would give a different viewpoint.

I agree completely.

After thinking about this, I now think that McCain did the right thing in not looking back at Obama. It was not a conversation, it was a debate. There was no back and forth allowed during the minutes each candidate was allotted to speak. McCain would have had to have stood there, silent, looking at Obama while he spoke. That would have been awkward, and also given the impression that Obama had the upper hand, lecturing, while McCain could do nothing but stand and listen for minutes a time. It also could give more opportunities for the audience to judge McCain's reactions while Obama was talking... should he nod? shake his head in disagreement? smile at him? stare at him blankly? I think looking elsewhere was the best thing McCain could do in that situation.

If this had been a conversation, things would have been different. But a debate has different rules and format. I do think it was a good move for Obama to look at McCain, though, because I'm sure he knew that McCain wouldn't look back, and that would give the impression that many have gotten, that Obama was the more gracious one.

I have to disagree that this in any way suggested that McCain wouldn't work with Democrats.

Erica

I have to say that I was surprised that he kept asking the candidates over and over to talk to one another and address their comments and replies to one another personally.

Jim Lehrer kept insisting on this point because the campaigns had agreed to this format. Presidential debates don't follow standard debating form, they follow the rules that the campaigns negotiate in advance. That's why we've had townhall meetings, roundtables, etc. as part of the presidential debate schedule in the past.