Menu

I think I figured out why my pain is taking a sudden turn for the worst.

dirty ethel rackham

Pressure sores and perhaps swelling making it too tight.  After having such a good day yesterday, I have had a really difficult day.  I put it down to overdoing it yesterday.  But, increasing my pain meds didn't seem to touch it.  So, I googled it.  Yep, the pain on my heel is likely a pressure sore and the hot spots inside the cast and the tingling in my toes is probably due to swelling making the cast too tight.  I guess I get to call the doctor bright an early tomorrow. 

• Like 2

When my son started getting a pressure sore on his heel, we folded pillows in half (or used small pillows) under the lower part of his calf/ankle which kept his heel off the bed, but still supported his leg. Maybe that could help you, too.

I'm so sorry that your pain has increased - I hope it resolves quickly!

Thanks all. I don't think it is an emergency, but does need to be addressed. I will be very pesky tomorrow to make sure of that. I have to keep reminding myself that healing isn't always a linear, organized thing, that setback will happen. I've had lots of broken bones , sprains and minor injuries, but have never had to deal with something so complicated. They basically reconstucctes my ankle and I have to remember that I can't expect miracles overnight.

Here I am, sounding so sensible and optimistic. These pain meds have finally kicked in. FinaAlly falling asleep.

• Like 4

I really hope they can help tomorrow! Hopefully you will get some relief. If not:

From someone who has had multiple bone reconstructions in my hips including breaking of pelvis, removal of trochanter ball to shave it down and reposition with pins, and much more I have to make a recommendation.

The only way I kept pain in check was to alternate pain mess with 'Army candy', which is a full 800 mg of Motrin.they can prescribe this, which is better than trying to take 800 mg of OTC. Then make sure you eat! And do not miss a doseas once you get behind in managing the pain it is infinitely more difficult to keep up. The combination of alternating the meds was really effective. Obviously not something you want to do forever, but to get through that deep bone pain, it is something I swear by now.

• Like 3

I really hope they can help tomorrow! Hopefully you will get some relief. If not:

From someone who has had multiple bone reconstructions in my hips including breaking of pelvis, removal of trochanter ball to shave it down and reposition with pins, and much more I have to make a recommendation.

The only way I kept pain in check was to alternate pain mess with 'Army candy', which is a full 800 mg of Motrin.they can prescribe this, which is better than trying to take 800 mg of OTC. Then make sure you eat! And do not miss a doseas once you get behind in managing the pain it is infinitely more difficult to keep up. The combination of alternating the meds was really effective. Obviously not something you want to do forever, but to get through that deep bone pain, it is something I swear by now.

Oh my. That was quite a bit of work done. I hope that you are doing well.

I had been very good about staying ahead of the pain and had managed to get off narcotics during the day with minimal pain (despite not hearing back from the doctors office requesting a new pain management plan to decrease the narcotics use, which was adding to my isolation and depression.). The fact that this pain was a recurrence and that it wasn't managed was a clue that something wasn't right ... That this wasn't just a case of doing too much but that something else was wrong. I knew about heel pressure sores from when my mom broke her pelvis (which, unlike yours, did not require surgery.). I just didn't realize that you could get them with a cast. That is what led me to look things up.

I will talk to the doctor about a new pain management plan in addition to getting the cast fixed.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When my son started getting a pressure sore on his heel, we folded pillows in half (or used small pillows) under the lower part of his calf/ankle which kept his heel off the bed, but still supported his leg. Maybe that could help you, too.

I'm so sorry that your pain has increased - I hope it resolves quickly!

I had tries that, but it lead to circulation issues and swelling early on. Anything where any part of my leg dangled made this issue worse. I'm getting relief from changing my foot position (turning in, turning out, etc). But due to my age, I'm having hip issues and my leg falls asleep. Just can't win, can I :-)?

Just got an appointment to be seen this afternoon (after 30 minutes on hold since everyone in the world calls on Monday mornings.) Now I just have to arrange back up transportation in case the visit runs long since K, who will be taking me, is also responsible for taking DD to our carpool for her climbing team practice in the city.

• Like 4

Back from the doctor. As it turns out, I don't have any pressure sores yet (the one spot I was sure of was actually where I had stitches unbeknownst to me.). But he could tell that the I was swelling due to being upright more and moving about. He did say that everything looked OK as far as healing goes.

So, we made the decision to go to a boot. This way, I can loosen or tighten based upon swelling, o can open up to apply ice, remove it to shower (yay!!). I have a smaller boot for bedtime. I am still not weight bearing (check back on that in a week) but now, pain management is more in my control.

When I got home, I was in a buch of pain, until I realized that the med-tech wrapped the ace bandage way too tight. After I adjusted it, there was much less pain.

• Like 18

Thanks for the prayers and words of support. Another example of how healing is not linear. I woke up at 3:30 in discomfort (first night with the bed boot.). I took pain meds, but still only dozed fitfully until hubby brought me my breakfast. He's a dear that way ... Since he knows that making a high protein breakfast is difficult, heck, even getting down a half flight of stairs to the kitchen is difficult. My 19 yo is still really struggling to get out of bed before 10. I swear, we need Rosie the robot to bring them strong coffee in bed, or maybe just a hypo of caffeine. So anyway, dh doesn't want me to have to wait for K to get up and be angry when it doesn't happen easily.

Pain has been under control all day so far. I sat in bed an finished a novel I got for Christmas (and it isn't on my Kindle so I couldn't read it in bed without keeping dh awake.)

I've even committed to a meeting tomorrow at dd's climbing gym during her practice and she'll be driving for the first time on the Kennedy (anyone who's lived in Chicago or even driven into the city from O'Hare know what a huge deal that is for a 15 yo with a permit, even though she has plenty of highway driving.)

It is just so cool that I get to go to a meeting where my services are needed! That may sound lame to some but you have no idea how good it feels to have people who want my help instead of the other way around.

• Like 2