Menu

John McCain Suspends Campaign

asta

Even his campaign manager has said that "fundamentally sound" he means the American worker, the small businesses...that is what he meant by fundamental. The Obama camp took this sound bit and ran with it, just like the 100 years more of war. Sigh.

Ya know Jessica, I completely agree with you about the 100 years or more war in Iraq comment. I mean, technically we still haven't left Germany and Japan, and how many years ago did WW2 end??? But, can't give ya the economics policy comment. I think the whole American worker part was pure cover up for a wrong comment at the wrong time.

FYI--I may be voting for Obama, but that doens't mean I hate McCain. So it's not meant to be McCain bashing or anything, just my opinion.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was truly the case here I think he would have worked with Obama behind the scenes to reach some kind of mutual agreement, rather than make a unilateral move. I think he's trying to show his "maverick" side here, not his "I'm a uniter, not a divider" one.

I confess that I haven't seen the news today so I'll be interested to hear both sides of this situation occurring today.

We're in a battleground state here so we're starting to see the campaign ads escalating in tone and attack. Are you able to access those on the internet, Kate? Some of the "official" campaign ads, not the sponsored-by-other-groups kind, have gotten kinda mean and strange (making fun of McCain not doing email when he can't type on a keyboard? one has the voice track getting faster and faster til it's like Alvin the chipmunk?). I've gotta say that if I were in that environment, I'm not sure I'd trust the other guy to play fair and/or not use something for next week's campaign ad.

I'll stick by what I said earlier that McCain's service in the Senate has been one of bi-partisan work. If he can participate in the process and help them come to an accord, then all the better for the country.

Sadly, working in the Senate in a bi-partisan way is being a maverick!;)

Some of the "official" campaign ads, not the sponsored-by-other-groups kind, have gotten kinda mean and strange

I see a lot on the internet, and we get CNN International here so some stuff filters through there. My understanding was that both sides were being somewhat underhanded at this stage in the game, I imagine people would disagree as to which side is "worse" in that regard. I would have been mightily impressed if they had both stood together without either side upstaging. Guess that's not possible anymore.

Even his campaign manager has said that "fundamentally sound" he means the American worker, the small businesses...that is what he meant by fundamental. The Obama camp took this sound bit and ran with it, just like the 100 years more of war. Sigh.

It wasn't a sound bite, it was something he implied, stated, and reiterated time and again. Only very recently did he claim that by "fundamentals", he was referencing Americans workers. It's a rather sad attempt at back-pedaling. Honestly, who refers to human beings as "fundamentals"? ("Yes," said the company manager, "our fundamentals are doing a splendid job at Plant Number 417!":lol:) It bothers me because as I've mentioned, I'm not all against McCain (Palin is another story;)) and I think he has as much chance as Obama to serve as our next President. I'd prefer he not try and reframe his original comments. If he thought the American economy was fundamentally sound, so be it; there's no shame in that.

I see a lot on the internet, and we get CNN International here so some stuff filters through there. My understanding was that both sides were being somewhat underhanded at this stage in the game, I imagine people would disagree as to which side is "worse" in that regard. I would have been mightily impressed if they had both stood together without either side upstaging. Guess that's not possible anymore.

Did you see some of the 9/11 coverage? That was a nice effort in NYC by both sides, I thought. I wouldn't despair quite yet. :D

And now, I'm outta here!

No kidding. Its not different from what happens here. Its just that season. I have definitely gotten caught up in the rancor and I'm not even living in a 24/7 political environment like they are. Where do you go for a sanity check on a presidential campaign? Your motivations and past are under constant attack. It must be insanely brutal.

Oh, well then she might ought to have triple-quoted, as I wasn't the only one to agree with Michelle.

Besides that, it should be obvious that we were agreeing with the general comments in the post. Regardless of the actual number involved there are plenty of folks working on the matter.

Let me just say that anyone who's able to triple-quote anything gets kudos from me. Please don't be offended, you won't catch me even double-quoting!:tongue_smilie:

And now, I really am outta here!

I just got home so I'm going to put in my two cents even though the thread has sort of disintegrated.

Does the Senate have some work to do? Absolutely!

Is this a political move on McCain's part? Yes.

Is...or was...breaking news on my tv...he trying to avoid the debates? Yes, I think so.

eta: not to mention his announcement comes *hours* after this story broke http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/24/McCain_aides_firm_paid_by_Freddie_Mac/UPI-13991222287578/

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and jump in here too.

I agree that it is a politically motivated move by McCain, at least in some part. If Obama did call McCain to set this up as a joint effort, and then McCain went out unilaterally, then shame on him for playing SO dirty. I don't know yet, I have yet to check sources and links.

The big question is...now what is McCain going to do? Everyone is looking at him now. The Republicans are pressuring him to vote in favor of the bail-out bill. But he's running on a largely "reform" platform, he's the "maverick." What is he going to do??? I can't wait to see.

Yeah, they are senators who should be participating.

But this Friday's debate is on foreign policy and, frankly, I would really like to hear what they have to say. In particular, I am interested in hearing how these men envision future US involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. After hearing the news from North Korea on forbidding UN inspectors at the nuclear complex, what are US concerns?

The Iraqi war has become incredibly expensive. This is part of the fiscal mess in which this country finds itself.

We need to know where these men stand in light of changes going on in the world in just the past few weeks. US bank problems affect foreign banks.

As I said, I know they need to be in DC, but I would like to have more information from both of these men on recent events.

Jane

:iagree: I can understand canceling campaign stops/speeches/etc to be in Washington for discussion and votes, but I don't see why they would need/have/want to cancel the debate on Friday.

I think it will be interesting to see how many balls they can each keep in the air. As a busy homeschooling mom, student, volunteer on a bunch of IRL boards (not the message kind), etc., I have to multitask to the extreme sometimes. I think it would be an important skill for any President to be able to handle multiple tasks at once. They certainly each have a well-oiled campaign machine that can keep on with the push to get more votes. IMO, they should be able to handle their Congressional duties in regards to this crisis, and be ready for a Presidential campaign debate at the same time.

Well, if McCain doesn't want to debate foreign policy on Fri, he could always send Palin, who could just smile, nod, and say. "Good...good." :lol:

(this is a JOKE people. I am KIDDING)

Why go there? I almost never see folks post those type of "jokes" about Obama or Biden on here..believe me there's enough fodder for all candidates...but to me that's not necessary and not funny. When your joke is at the expense of another person...not so funny...if you're claiming your a satirist and creating something that pokes fun at all..then go for it...but to single out one party and go on to give your praises for another...that's pretty low.

Tara

The only thing that I find interesting is that, less than a week ago, McCain said that the American economy was fundamentally sound.

Guess this has been a real wake-up call for him! If that is the case, then I applaud him for finally realizing it.

As my 14 yo would say, "Well, look who just caught up." ;)

I had to answer this because the point is being misconstrued.

Michael Bloomberg nailed it yesterday when he said in an interview, "I do agree that fundamentally America has an economy that is strong. America's great strength is its diversity, its hard work, its good financial statements, its broad capital markets, its enormous natural resources.... I'd rather play America's hand than any other country. Without problems? No."

"Barack Obama largest recipient of political funds from mortgage giants Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae"

I had to answer this because the point is being misconstrued.

Michael Bloomberg nailed it yesterday when he said in an interview, "I do agree that fundamentally America has an economy that is strong. America's great strength is its diversity, its hard work, its good financial statements, its broad capital markets, its enormous natural resources.... I'd rather play America's hand than any other country. Without problems? No."

"Barack Obama largest recipient of political funds from mortgage giants Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae"

I completely disagree with Bloomberg. I think he's wearing those rose colored glasses. We're not only having problems here in the US, but its spreading.

Could you please provide proof in some form to back up your last statement? Something nonpartisan would be preferred. I'm not even really sure what you're trying to say there.

Why go there? I almost never see folks post those type of "jokes" about Obama or Biden on here..believe me there's enough fodder for all candidates...but to me that's not necessary and not funny. When your joke is at the expense of another person...not so funny...if you're claiming your a satirist and creating something that pokes fun at all..then go for it...but to single out one party and go on to give your praises for another...that's pretty low.

Well, I'm voting for Obama, and I love Joe Biden, but I posted the Leno joke about his teleprompter committing suicide because he talks so looooooooong.

It was just funny. Or at least I thought so.

Could you please provide proof in some form to back up your last statement? Something nonpartisan would be preferred. I'm not even really sure what you're trying to say there.

Well, that's if you aren't counting the $15,000 per month Freddie Mac paid to McCain's campaign manager's firm from the end of 2005 right up until it was taken over by the government. Because it wasn't paid directly to the campaign it wasn't considered in the reporting by Fox News.

From UPI:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/09/24/McCain_aides_firm_paid_by_Freddie_Mac/UPI-13991222287578/

I think it will be interesting to see how many balls they can each keep in the air. As a busy homeschooling mom, student, volunteer on a bunch of IRL boards (not the message kind), etc., I have to multitask to the extreme sometimes. I think it would be an important skill for any President to be able to handle multiple tasks at once. They certainly each have a well-oiled campaign machine that can keep on with the push to get more votes. IMO, they should be able to handle their Congressional duties in regards to this crisis, and be ready for a Presidential campaign debate at the same time.

demands a more focused approach. Yes, we all have to multitask at times; most homeschooling moms (and moms in general) do it all the time. However, there's more to this situation than McCain and Obama showing up to punch in their votes.

I don't think it's political grandstanding; both McCain and Obama are senators, and it's no big deal to put the debates on hold for a few days to deal with a situation that could potentially cost this country at least $700 billion dollars.

The campaigns can go on without either of them. I'd rather not have either one of them multitasking at this time.

Very clever move....puts Obama in a tough position.

Actually, I thought Obama's calm response was excellent. He pointed out that the President needs to be able to attend to more than one item of business at a time. To me, it makes McCain look like he's dodging the debate. Kind of like he dodged Letterman today, calling from NYC to cancel his appearance on the show and say that he'd already left town, which was a bald-faced lie, because he was actually a few doors down taping a show with Katie Couric and isn't scheduled to leave NYC until tomorrow. Nice.

Astrid

Could you please provide proof in some form to back up your last statement? quote]

I didn't post the quote but here are two sources to help her out.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/09/mortgage-giants.html

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/09/update-fannie-mae-and-freddie.html

The story has been out there for a couple of weeks that Barack Obama is a major recipient of campaign funds from Fannie and Freddie.

demands a more focused approach. Yes, we all have to multitask at times; most homeschooling moms (and moms in general) do it all the time. However, there's more to this situation than McCain and Obama showing up to punch in their votes.

I don't think it's political grandstanding; both McCain and Obama are senators, and it's no big deal to put the debates on hold for a few days to deal with a situation that could potentially cost this country at least $700 billion dollars.

BUT when McCain suggests doing the debates October 2nd (the date of the VP debates) and suspending the VP debates indefinitely? That doesn't strike you as purely political in nature? Keeping the sunny side of Palin to the forefront without exposing all her weaknesses that will come out in a debate is definitely to McCain's benefit.

The campaigns can go on without either of them. I'd rather not have either one of them multitasking at this time.

Negotiations have already being going on. Mostly in the House, not the Senate. There are 533 members of Congress who are already on this. The LAST thing Capitol Hill needs during this negotiation is for the presidential race to come into the middle of it.

Soooo, following McCain's statement, one could surmise that Merrill Lynch went down because their employees weren't "sound?"

Interesting logic there.

astrid

That's not how the people of Oxford, MS and Ole Miss feel about it. I would like to know who is going to reimburse them the $5.5 million they spent to host this event.

Why should anyone reimburse them? It should be held at another date. Any business transaction has possibilities of being canceled. Anyone who works in hosting major functions realizes this. It's catastrophic, but it's business.

Could you please provide proof in some form to back up your last statement?

The story has been out there for a couple of weeks that Barack Obama is a major recipient of campaign funds from Fannie and Freddie.

According to your first link Freddie Mac made $126K in political donations to Obama. eta: the only halfway "hard news" source I found for this was Fox News which didn't offer up numbers at all.

Now, from Newsweek:

Since 2006, the federally sponsored mortgage giant Freddie Mac has paid at least $345,000 to the lobbying and consulting firm of John McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, according to two sources familiar with the arrangement.

Freddie Mac had previously paid an advocacy group run by Davis, called the Homeownership Alliance, $30,000 a month until the end of 2005, when that group was dissolved. That relationship was the subject of a New York Times story Monday, which drew angry denunciations from the McCain campaign. McCain and his aides have vehemently objected to suggestions that Davis has ties to Freddie Mac—an especially sensitive issue given that the Republican presidential candidate has blamed "the lobbyists, politicians and bureaucrats" for the mortgage crisis that recently prompted the Bush administration to take over both Freddie Mac and its companion, Fannie Mae, and put them under federal conservatorship.

But neither the Times story—nor the McCain campaign—revealed that Davis's lobbying firm, Davis Manafort, based in Washington, D.C., continued to receive $15,000 a month from Freddie Mac until last month—long after the Homeownership Alliance had been terminated.

You sourced a place called "open secrets" and a blog?

Why should anyone reimburse them? It should be held at another date. Any business transaction has possibilities of being canceled. Anyone who works in hosting major functions realizes this. It's catastrophic, but it's business.

They have already built the stage for the debate, reverted traffic and made many other accomodations that cannot be redone without incurring a greater cost. They have already stated (trying to find link to post, but I'm not finding it, yet) that they do not have the means to redo this at a different date. They were not given enough notice. The contract had a 48 hour time limit for cancellation, and McCain made his announcement with barely a few hours to spare, technically. But since the debate commision has not cancelled the debate, the contract is still valid.

A so-called campaign "suspension" (from either candidate) plays out as merely more politcal stumping, in my estimation. As an example, the sought-after reaction is being expressed here.

I completely agree. It's a stunt. And though I"m not voting for the guy, I would have thought McCain would be above this sort of thing.

Astrid

Honestly, I think the main purpose is to prevent the Biden/Palin debate.

Yep. It's so ridiculously transparent as to be offensive. "For the good of the country, for the people, I hereby request a time-out in the presidential campaign [as if such as thing is possible] so I can be a warm body alongside the 500+ people inside the beltway already working on this issue...And in the process, I must push aside the planned debate until...(lemme just check my calendar...why, lo and behold! THAT date jumps out at me!)..."

Please.

Do you (anyone) think they will go forward with the debate, even if McCain doesn't come? Would they just have, say, a two-hour grilling of Obama on the issues? Is that even a possibility? Or will/must they cave in the end and postpone?

Honestly curious, I'm wondering how this could pan out.

Maybe they could have Bob Barr on instead?

This is what I think too.

Exactly. Because after touting McCain's prowess as a "reformer" repeatedly in the Katie Couric interview tonight, she's going to have to come up with something better when she debates Biden than, "I'll try to get some and bring them to you" which is what she settled on after being asked repeatedly by Katie to name a reform that McCain has been part of in his 26 years in Congress.

Astrid

Do you (anyone) think they will go forward with the debate, even if McCain doesn't come? Would they just have, say, a two-hour grilling of Obama on the issues? Is that even a possibility? Or will/must they cave in the end and postpone?

Honestly curious, I'm wondering how this could pan out.

I think if McCain doesn't show up it will be a two hour showcase for Obama.

BTW, nice to have you back Colleen :) :grouphug:

Exactly. Because after touting McCain's prowess as a "reformer" repeatedly in the Katie Couric interview tonight, she's going to have to come up with something better when she debates Biden than, "I'll try to get some and bring them to you" which is what she settled on after being asked repeatedly by Katie to name a reform that McCain has been part of in his 26 years in Congress.

Astrid

How come no one has given her the crib sheets yet?????

A so-called campaign "suspension" (from either candidate) plays out as merely more politcal stumping, in my estimation. As an example, the sought-after reaction is being expressed here.

No, it's not "scientific" but a heck of a lot of people surf past CNN these days.......here's their homepage quick vote poll:

Quick Vote

1.gif

John McCain's request to delay campaigning and this week's debate is:

An effort to help the economy 24% 47392 A political gimmick71% 139822 Something else5% 10619 Total Votes: 197833 read related article »

This is not a scientific poll

Maybe they could have Bob Barr on instead?

I lost count, but I'll join the Me Five group and hope they let whoever shows up speak for the full debate :D

and I do think extending the option for debate to whatever third party candidate happens to be sitting there would be awesome!

i think we need to start storming the debate commission w/ requests to let whoever shows up, speak.......

Survey USA did take a scientific poll today:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportEmail.aspx?g=54d651a7-a62b-4420-bb32-9dd6b2df8c02

10% agree that the debate should be postponed.

Poll conducted before McCain's suggestion that they can just postpone the VP debate. I don't think that idea is going to make many more people see it his way, though.

:iagree: I can understand canceling campaign stops/speeches/etc to be in Washington for discussion and votes, but I don't see why they would need/have/want to cancel the debate on Friday.

The thing is they stop doing the stops/speeches/etc a few days before the debates to "prepare" for them. Obama is in Dunedin right now (I believe he came last night), he did a quick speech this afternoon, but has been at his hotel "preparing" all day. He's staying here until Friday sometime when he'll fly to MS for the debate. Or at least that was his plan. My dh and I watched a PBS program the other night about past presidential debates, it was very informative.

Melissa