Menu

haute home schools

There is a thread in chat too which includes how to get round WSJ's paywall

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/587796-wsj-article-on-homeschooling-in-the-mansion-section/

Why would someone hiring out cozy homeschooling be a default? You could similarly ask, why don't they just send their kids to a private school?

Sometimes you can't find a private school that is a good fit, even the high end > $40k ones.

• Like 2

Maybe they like doing the homeschooling themselves.  If I had a ton of money I could see building a house like that.  I wouldn't want to hire tutors because I like teaching my kids.  The 1/2-1 year (depending on kid) they were in school I missed teaching so much.  It was so incredibly nice to get back to homeschooling them when we brought them back home.

• Like 7

Couldn't read the article, but rich people can want to homeschool too. The only reason to homeschool isn't to save money. I personally hate other people being in my house who aren't guests. Dd7 had an almost full-time therapist and I hated it. If I were that rich, I might outsource some stuff, but I'd probably still do the bulk of the teaching myself.

It's the same in my mind as asking a rich mom why she doesn't just hire a nanny instead of taking care of the kids herself.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 6

I have an issue with "The family is part of a small subset of affluent homeowners who home-school their kids—but not for typical reasons of wanting to provide religious instruction or because they don’t like the public schools nearby. Instead, they say they can create their own optimal learning environments by buying or building homes in which almost every room is a classroom."   We've had many many polls on this very board where people of all socioeconomic groups have said that their primary motivation is to provide optimal learning environments for their children.  They use the fancy word "bespoke" in the headline but all that means is an individualized education.  I don't have the funds to build a large house but we use most of the rooms in this house for education and had that in mind when we bought the house. 

• Like 15

I watched the little video.  I love how in the bajillion square foot house, there were four teens crowded onto a tiny little breakfast table with their laptops.  :-)  No matter how big the house, people seem to want to congregate together.  

If I was a bazillion-aire, I would certainly design a home with homeschooling in mind!  Instead, we all crowd around the table in our 1100sqft apartment.  And that works too.  

• Like 11

I couldn't read it either- which is to bad b/c it looked interesting!

I'll bet I can access the article through my library's online subscription to newspapers and magazines. I'm just too lazy.

I think most libraries have some way to get you a copy of most any newspaper or magazine article.

The OP seems to be unfamiliar with a concept of a philosophical homeschooler.  Most people who write articles about homeschooling seem to be too. OK, here goes.  A philosophical homeschooler is someone who believes children learn best in within the structure of a family...you know...like most mammals. I'm not suggesting everyone adopt the philosophy, but if you're going to post in a homeschooling community or if you write about the homeschooling community, you should at least be aware of it. 

• Like 7

I would love to dedicate my house to homeschooling. As it is our homeschool room is more like a dedicated library which is what I was going for. I was thinking of turning our spare room into an art room. It's nice that homeschooling is gaining popularity. It opens up so many options to people. There are so many good reasons to homeschool. Schools just can't provide the individual educational experience homeschooling can.

• Like 1

If I could afford to, that's what I'd do.  I like teaching my children, I love spending time with them.  I'd probably hire a tutor for upper level math or a foreign language though.  We've played the whole "if we won the lottery" game and my life would look a lot like those peoples lives, it sort of does already.  My house, except for the master bedroom is geared toward my kids. 

• Like 3

No one would blink an eye at these homes given location and net worth of the families- I'm sure they are typical for their neighborhood.  So what difference does it make if they decide to have three separate homeschool rooms rather than a billiards room, home gym, and reading room?  (Or maybe they have all six of those rooms...)  

The article just seems to be another "Look at those weird homeschoolers!", Rich Family Edition.  

• Like 9

The flexibility would be a big reason. Maybe high end private schools are more flexible, but in general, if you're in a school, you're on their schedule. If you have the money to travel and to have amazing experiences, that seems like a great reason to homeschool to me.

And just because there are good schools doesn't mean they're the right schools. There are some quite nice private schools in the 30k+ range here. I can look at them and see that they'd be a good fit for many kids-but not a good enough fit for my DD to even bother to apply and see if they'd give us financial aid.

• Like 5

There is a reason very wealthy people in the past hired tutors.   People homeschool for lots and lots of different reasons; one of them (for us) is the quality of education a personal tutor (me) can provide.  If we were super wealthy I don't think I'd hire tutors, though (until much much later), as I'm more than competent to teach all subjects until high school level and to be honest I don't like other people much anyway.

The idea that most homeschoolers are doing it for religious or financial (local school sucks + can't move) reasons is a bit shortsighted.  

Unless we had a private jet, I am not sure if there is enough money in the world to convince me to travel for fun with 5 kids under 10 (and 3 under 5!).  A private jet might make it feasible.