Menu

Really struggling and need advice

blessed2fosteradopt

Hi all:

Thank you for your gracious help thus far. In a nutshell, I am in the first year of homeschooling my 10 year old, 5th grade son. He has been private schooled since PK. He has a diagnosis of ADHD. We are REALLY struggling.

First off, I have noticed that his reading is really lacking. He cannot read a sentence correctly. He does not utilize punctuation correctly (pausing at periods, etc.), skips lines, misses words, changes words, etc. As a result, when he reads aloud or silently from text and then has to answer comprehension questions, he is unable to do so. This morning, I had him read from a R&S Grade 4 reader and we did the discussion questions. He could not answer ANY correctly. I find that I am constantly giving him the answers. He also could not recognize many of the words (physician, emptied, supplication). Now that I think of it, he really doesn't do much better when I read to him. He often times seems to zone out as well.

His spelling is terrible. We are doing Sequential Spelling right now. He has always received A's on his report card in spelling but I realize now that it is because of rote memory.

Math is probably his best subject. He is working in Saxon 7/6 and although he knows the concepts, he frequently gets problems wrong because he does not have his facts down. He is still a finger counter and struggles with multiplication facts.

So, if my ds were your ds, where would you go from here? Our current daily schedule looks like this:

Bible

Math (Saxon 7/6)

Reading (PP guide with Island of the Blue Dolphin)

Science (Apologia Astronomy - he does pretty well with this but I read to him)

History (MOH - same as science)

English - (R&S 5 - he is doing pretty well)

Writing - nothing so far but I just received WWE and it looks like I need to start at level 1)

Where do I need to modify? What should I drop, keep? Is LCC for us? Should I incorporate Latin?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate any bit of information that you can provide us with.

Blessings,

Struggling mom in FL

I don't really feel qualified to give you advice, but I wanted to give you a bump :)

The only thing I would say is that you probably need to go ahead a remediate problem areas now. Continuing to push along while having a lot of gaps from earlier levels could make things more difficult.

I'm sure there are others on this board who can give you more specific advise.

It sounds to me as if you have two issues.

One is his ADHD. How are you treating this? Is the treatment working? Does the treatment need adjusting? I know that many here have used natural methods such as vitamin therapy, exercise programs and structure to address their children's ADD, ADHD, etc. Many have also found that medication has been very positive for their children.

The other issue is his individual learning style/challenges. I cannot tell if the problems you describe are due solely to his ADHD or if there are other underlying issues. I would get him assessed. You will be much better prepared and equipped to help your son if you know what his weaknesses and his strengths are.

:grouphug:

Anne

Reading aloud is very different than readly silently; it's much harder. Continue to read aloud with your dc taking turns with alternating paragraphs helping him whenever needed. Don't criticize his reading aloud just model correct reading & pausing and HELP him along. Do this with science too. Both my dc were like this at about that age and they don't have ADHD.

If he has no comprehension, after you read aloud or he silently reads to himself, then repeat the story and ask questions as you go. Read a short passage and have him narrate (tell back) what he heard. YES, this takes a LONG time so be patient; doing one reading over several days if needed. If you persist with this method, he will learn how to listen and pay attention over time.

Terrible spelling is normal too. Both my boys are terrible spellers. Spelling takes a long time to master for some and others never master it. Continue with your spelling program and with maturity and drill he will learn how to spell.

You could add Latin but not at the expense of helping him along in reading & reading comprehension which will take more of your day(& patience) to get him up to speed.

Drill math facts EVERYDAY. Skip count aloud with your dc, doing a few tables/day and/or flash cards. Do this everyday for 5-10 min and it will be well worth your time.

Island of the Blue Dolphin is a challenging book for a 5th grader.

HTH,

If it were me I would go back to the basics. I would simplify all the curriculum and work on basic phonics, math facts and being able to work with the ADHD. I think that I would make school and lessons short and sweet for a month or two while you work on the basics. Give him simple challenges daily and then reward him for a job well done. For instance, "Today, I want you to memorize the 3 and 4 times tables and I will test you on them. If you can do each of them in 3 min, you will get a reward." Since he has ADHD, I would probably stay away from sugar rewards but perhaps 10 min more computer time or a small toy from a treasure box.

Once you get the basics then you could move on to adding more subjects. I would try to keep lessons very mulit-sensory. Write times tables in a sand box, spelling rules in chalk on the driveway, let him play with playdough while you read to him. I have found all of these types of activities very helpful in teaching my very active girl and my two boys.

It's going to be okay - it will just take some time!

I"Today, I want you to memorize the 3 and 4 times tables and I will test you on them. If you can do each of them in 3 min, you will get a reward." Since he has ADHD, I would probably stay away from sugar rewards but perhaps 10 min more computer time or a small toy from a treasure box.

We use calculadder for this, after practicing with wrap ups and games, and it works well.

Once you get the basics then you could move on to adding more subjects. I would try to keep lessons very mulit-sensory. Write times tables in a sand box, spelling rules in chalk on the driveway, let him play with playdough while you read to him. I have found all of these types of activities very helpful in teaching my very active girl and my two boys.

This sounds like what we do... We march around in a circle reciting prepositions, they play with playdough or legos while I read aloud, which is good for their motor skills too. Someone on this board said that their child would jump up and down on one of those little exercise trampolines as she recited her math facts.

In a nutshell, I am in the first year of homeschooling my 10 year old, 5th grade son. He has been private schooled since PK. He has a diagnosis of ADHD. We are REALLY struggling.

First off, I have noticed that his reading is really lacking. He cannot read a sentence correctly. I find that I am constantly giving him the answers.

His spelling is terrible. We are doing Sequential Spelling right now. He has always received A's on his report card in spelling but I realize now that it is because of rote memory.

Math is probably his best subject. He is working in Saxon 7/6 and although he knows the concepts, he frequently gets problems wrong because he does not have his facts down. He is still a finger counter and struggles with multiplication facts.

So, if my ds were your ds, where would you go from here? Our current daily schedule looks like this:

Bible

Math (Saxon 7/6)

Writing - nothing so far but I just received WWE and it looks like I need to start at level 1)

Where do I need to modify? What should I drop, keep? Is LCC for us? Should I incorporate Latin?

Hi, I'll give it a shot here. I'm sure others will give you great specific advice regarding the ADHD too.

Since you've just started and it looks like you've got some makeup to do, I'd concentrate on the fundamentals. Have you seen Ruth Beechik's little books called "Right Start in Reading" "Strong Start in Math"? Those are simple, straightforward and commonsense approaches to teaching reading and math.

I would start with a couple subjects and not worry about all of the things you've got on your schedule. You've got some bonding to do and repairwork, to get him feeling confident and learning again.

If he loves science, do the read-aloud and the experiments/projects without all the extra stuff (like narrations, etc.). That would be like a bonus subject.

Drop the Latin, perhaps for the full year. Drop writing for awhile til he gets a better handle on reading and basics. You could have him do copywork/dictation, if you want, but start that in a week or two.

For now, I'd do alot of wonderful literature read-aloud, mostly by you. Dh started having our reluctant reader read the first and last paragraphs in the chapter. But mostly, read to him.

Get some easy readers from the library that concentrate on simple letter groups/phonics. I've seen a couple series that do "sh" "ng" etc. combos. Tell him it's review, which it is, if it bugs him that they're too simple. Maybe find one of the easy series that he likes (Nate the Great, Henry & Mudge, Mr. Putter). This will give him confidence and start building his vocabulary. You could ask questions in a conversational way about the content to help him build comprehension ("who did Nate visit first?" "what are the names of Rosamund's cats?"). We often do verbal re-telling of a story at the dinner table for Dad to hear (feels like more fun and it shares our day). ETA: We do this re-telling for all kinds of things -- history, science, lit, field trips, etc.

Work on math basics. Play games that involve dice, cards, board moves with counting. You could use that as a reward for schoolwork and it helps to build his skills. Have him "buy" lunch from a bowl of coins on the table - you tell him what each thing is worth and he gives you the money (5 cents for each pancake, etc.). Do the problems in chalk or on the whiteboard, take turns counting and multiplying in your head (count to 1000 by 10s).

If you want to add in history soon, go ahead. But don't belabor it while he's working on the other things.

If you and he are struggling with something for more than 10 or 15 minutes. Put it down and come back to it later, or the next day.

This is tough to start in 5th grade with your 1st year and lots of subjects. Don't make your days too long. Make sure you look for things outside, in your area, homeschooling "free" days at area museums, whatever's available, an arboretum. It will help both of you to have things to break up your week, to look forward to, and it'll be nice for you to spend enjoyable time together.

Hope some of this is a help to you. Good luck. :001_smile:

(I've had this sitting on my screen for an hour! Life is full of interruptions!) :tongue_smilie:

Thank you all so much for all of the advice thus far.

With regard to the ADHD, in the past, we have tried the medication route. All this did was completely kill his appetite. We do supplements and try to stay away from as many processed foods as we can. We even did the Feingold diet for six months to no avail.

I think part of what I am also trying to determine is what is sheer laziness versus ADHD and/or some other disorder. For instance, he just did an English lesson on diagramming skeleton sentences. He copied many of the words incorrectly even though the words were right there in front of him. I told him that unless it was done over, quickly, neatly and completely he would not be going to PE group today. He did it and did it well. I am having a really hard time deciphering what is work ethic and what is academic.

For what it is worth, he scores well on the SAT. Last year, he scored in the 50th percentile among his private school peers and 60-70 percentile in total.

I will try to implement some of the above suggestions and see how it goes.

In closing, are there any books that you can recommend that would be exciting for him (he likes all things boy) that would be on his level and would get him interested in reading. So far, it is all but a chore for him. *sigh*

Thank you again, ladies. You are the best!

Blessings, Lisa

Some ideas to try . . .

Something like Calculadders or a computer-based math fact software. Work on it every day for 10 minutes or so.

Check out Six Minute Solutions through interlibrary loan at your library to try it out and see if it's works for your son. This program basically has your child do repeated readings to build speed and fluency. It takes a minimal amount of time each day and my son made major progress with it. There is another book out there that has a section in it where you can evaluate your child's reading and then recommended solutions depending on the type of reading problem you are having. I cannot think of the name of it, but if you ask on the special needs board, someone shoud be able to tell you what it is. When he reads, have him use a bookmark under the line that he is reading to better help him keep his place.

At http://www.epsbooks.com, there are reading comprehension books called Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter.

As someone else asked, what are you doing about the adhd? There are dietary method you can try -- http://www.feingold.org or medication and maybe there are other options as well. I think it has got to be extremely difficult to work with a child who is having difficulty focusing.

Good luck! It's rough going when you are first starting out, but you will figure out ways to help him if you keep looking and asking questions.

Lisa

This is what I would do FWIW (I have not worked through this myself):

Get the main teacher's text for WWE and work through that with him for the comprehension. He should be able to read some of the stories while you read others. Start at the beginning. Remediate spelling (and as a bonus, phonics based reading) with AAS or WRTR. Stop all math and work on all of his facts. Go back to addition and subtraction first and see if he has holes there. If it is very difficult for him to learn his facts, look into getting the MUS blocks and teaching them that way. If you do this, someone can give you a rundown on remediating so you don't have to buy several programs to get him up to speed. Cut Latin out totally until later. (TWTM has a schedule starting in 7th grade) Let him do Science if he wants to. Leave it at that until you have him caught up.

I have the same problem with DD. Is it too hard, too easy and boring, the wrong method or just misbehaving? It is so difficult to tell.

Some radical advice:

Personally, I would continue with math but pull back and work on one skill at a time and bring him up to speed. First, I would work on reading and learning to enjoy reading. Find some graphic readers or easier novels that would appeal to his interests and begin there. As his reading skills improve help him to find books that are written on a harder level in an area that he is interested in.

Once he is comfortable with reading then start to work on other language arts skills such as composition, spelling and grammar. Work at his pace and maybe only work on one area or skill at a time and then add in another as he gains confidence and ability.

It may take a couple of years to bring him fully up to speed but once he has skills in place he can learn anything that he would ever want or need to learn.:001_smile:

My oldest is younger than yours but has struggled in the are of language arts. We spent time learning to read then moved onto other areas. Currently, I am having her work on composition and within her composition we are working on grammar and spelling as problems arise. We also do mad libs to make grammar fun.

Hang in there!

Hi all:

Thank you for your gracious help thus far. In a nutshell, I am in the first year of homeschooling my 10 year old, 5th grade son. He has been private schooled since PK. He has a diagnosis of ADHD. We are REALLY struggling.

First, good for you for bringing him home to work with him. You'll get things figured out as you go along.

First off, I have noticed that his reading is really lacking. He cannot read a sentence correctly. He does not utilize punctuation correctly (pausing at periods, etc.), skips lines, misses words, changes words, etc.

I would probably work on his reading and spelling skills first, before trying comprehension questions. From the ground up. If he's missing or changing words, he just might not know how to sound them out yet, so this would be where I would start. I don't know anything about the spelling program you mentioned, but I used Writing Road to Reading to teach how to read and how to spell at the same time. From what I've seen, spelling and reading are interchangeable skills, and reinforce each other. Then, once he's comfortable with sounding out words, I'd work on his reading aloud skills, and teach him about pausing at commas, stopping at periods (demonstrate how you do these things). Also teach him to use his finger to follow the sentence he is reading, so he doesn't lose his place, skip words, or skip lines. It'll help him focus on what he's reading. It'll also help him to slow down and sound out words. If he says he feels that's babyish, tell him no one but you is looking! :)

As a result, when he reads aloud or silently from text and then has to answer comprehension questions, he is unable to do so. This morning, I had him read from a R&S Grade 4 reader and we did the discussion questions. He could not answer ANY correctly. I find that I am constantly giving him the answers. He also could not recognize many of the words (physician, emptied, supplication). Now that I think of it, he really doesn't do much better when I read to him. He often times seems to zone out as well.

I would suspect that he is concentrating so hard on the mechanics of trying to read, that he can't "comprehend" what he is reading. Or maybe he knows he is failing at reading, so he doesn't bother to try to comprehend when he's the one doing the reading? Again, I would just keep working on the reading/spelling skills.

But, *you* could read aloud to him and get him to narrate back to you what he *did* understand from the story or passage. I know you said he doesn't do much better when you read to him, but I am wondering: Is the material you are reading to him interesting to him? Is it above or below his comprehension abilities?

I will confess that I am not a fan of "readers" or science/history textbooks with question and answer format, because to me, they can tend to be boring. I'd rather choose a literature book from a booklist (such as in WTM) that I think my kids will enjoy listening to/reading by themselves, or a library book about cats or about Queen Hatshepsut or whatever subject is being brought up in our history/science study. There is more freedom to choose interesting subjects to read about this way, and if you have kids narrate this type of reading, they'll be able to tell you more because they get to choose what parts of the reading were interesting to them. Because they were listening because it was interesting to them. :)

I might spend some time just working on the math facts. Is Saxon 7/6 ahead of 5th grade? Then I would definitely just work on math facts and get those memorized solidly, then start working on concepts again. Having the facts memorized will be the foundation for all the concepts to come.

Bible

Math (Saxon 7/6)

If you have to start WWE at level 1, then do it. It is SUCH a good grounding in writing skills. And you can probably help him to work quickly through it, since he's older.

I wouldn't incorporate Latin until he is very comfortable with reading, spelling, writing skills, and comprehending what he's reading (which in WWE will be incorporated as a writing skill via narration, with VERY good instruction on how to do it!). I would not think LCC would be good for him - it seems to me like he needs to work on skills separately for now. But you can still simplify his studies, as you concentrate on what he needs right now.

With R&S English, did you know you can do this orally and not have him write out every exercise? The only exercises I have my ds10 write out are the diagraming ones. He does everything else orally, including the writing lessons (I type his answers to the writing lessons as he dictates paragraphs or whatever is being taught).

Have you read WTM? It gives some great ideas for doing science, history, and literature (reading) differently from just using a textbook. The basic idea is, follow a track each year (science - biology, history - ancient, literature - ancient book list are examples), read, and write/talk about what you are reading.

There now, that's what I'd do if he were mine. :D Hope I haven't bowled you over! And hope something helps. Try not to worry too much (don't we all), you have brought him home, and now he will get the teaching he needs from the person who loves him most. It'll be a lot more efficient, too. Don't look around on these boards at what other 5th graders are doing right now, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you are working where he is at.

Ciao! :)

It sounds like he needs to learn to read properly. Unfortunately, some schools encourage guessing--or at the very least they haven't the time to stop and correct it. He's developed some bad habits and you are absolutely on the right track in halting them now. Good for you!

You have received some excellent ideas and suggestions. I don't have a lot to add except it may help you to change your thinking: you don't have a fifth grader on your hands.

I brought my son home after Grade one. He couldn't do a thing. We remediated everything. I taught him to read. I taught him his math. We did narrations forever...often one paragraph at a time. I let him play with playdough (it still helps) and legos--but not bionicles. My son is a spacey boy and just zones out, too. I can't give him too many instructions at once, or he forgets what I told him. He needs frequent breaks but pulling him back into his work is tough--so I switch around what he needs to do often. It took me a long time to figure all this out and a lot of frustration. This is our fourth year--and I'm only just now able to switch my thinking from "unprepared, needs hand holding" to "it's OK, he can do this." Once we ot going with math (We use Singapore because he's a logical fit the pieces together kind of guy) his confidence in himself and his abilities soared. It helped in every other area.

Focus on remediation, do what's fun for both of you and keep on with what's working.

Let us know how it goes!

It sounds like he needs to learn to read properly. Unfortunately, some schools encourage guessing--or at the very least they haven't the time to stop and correct it. He's developed some bad habits and you are absolutely on the right track in halting them now. Good for you!

:iagree:

I would probably work on his reading and spelling skills first, from the ground up. If he's missing or changing words, he just might not know how to sound them out yet, so this would be where I would start. I used Writing Road to Reading to teach how to read and how to spell at the same time. From what I've seen, spelling and reading are interchangeable skills, and reinforce each other. Then, once he's comfortable with sounding out words, I'd work on his reading aloud skills, and teach him about pausing at commas, stopping at periods (demonstrate how you do these things). Also teach him to use his finger to follow the sentence he is reading, so he doesn't lose his place, skip words, or skip lines. It'll help him focus on what he's reading. It'll also help him to slow down and sound out words. If he says he feels that's babyish, tell him no one but you is looking! :)

But, *you* could read aloud to him and get him to narrate back to you what he *did* understand from the story or passage. I know you said he doesn't do much better when you read to him, but I am wondering: Is the material you are reading to him interesting to him? Is it above or below his comprehension abilities? If you have to start WWE at level 1, then do it. It is SUCH a good grounding in writing skills. And you can probably help him to work quickly through it, since he's older. In WWE comprehension will be incorporated as a writing skill via narration, with VERY good instruction on how to do it!).

I might spend some time just working on the math facts. Is Saxon 7/6 ahead of 5th grade? Then I would definitely just work on math facts and get those memorized solidly, then start working on concepts again. Having the facts memorized will be the foundation for all the concepts to come.

Don't look around on these boards at what other 5th graders are doing right now, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you are working where he is at.

:iagree:That's what I was trying to say to a T! For reading, WRTR really teaches to go from left to right, so it could be a big help.

Adding more about WWE: WWE starts with narration/comprehension at the lowest level and builds up. If you get the teacher's manual the first four years are there for you and you can pull in paragraphs from books and topics he is interested in.

I am not expert in this area. I just wanted to share what I think might help you in narrating. Narrating is a skill that can be developed with lots of practice. I would recommend (this is what I do) have him read two paragraphs and then ask him to orally narrate right away. Then give him a break.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Lisa,

I pretty much agree with the others. Math and reading are base skills, and need to be worked on as a first priority.

One thing that would be of help is to use a phonics based spelling program. That way it will also reinforce his reading. I use SWR, but All About Spelling is an easier to use program. Unlike Sequential Spelling it will teach the phonics sounds and corresponding spelling rules. It includes letter tiles, so it has a kinesthetic component that should help in keeping him focused. He will likely move through more than one level in a year, but it kills two birds with one stone (spelling and phonics).

For math there are some program you can use for math facts (Quarter Mile Math), or a hand held devise like Flashmaster, or just drill. Like someone else said having him write them in sand, cornmeal, or anything that brings in another sense will probably help with comprehension.

Ruth Beechick states that if a child needs to sound out/misses 2 or less words in 100 that is considered an independent reading level. If a child needs to sound out 3-5 words in 100 that is instructional reading (his reading aloud to you). If a child needs to sound out more than 5 words in 100 then it is over his frustration level and he needs to back down to an easier level of reading, work on phonics, or seek some other help (look for LD's).

Generally what I do with my kids is have them read at their current level out loud to me, then have them do their independent read a grade below that level. Reading books that are easy builds fluency-the ability to read faster, so it is not a waste to have them reading on an easier level.

Once you get his reading level up you can take another look at his comprehension. Right now part of it just might be a reading level issue, especially if he is NOT an auditory learner, KWIM? If he is a visual learner then he would learn best by reading and his auditory skills might be weak, but right now it is hard to tell because he can't read well enough to discern if it is a comprehension problem, a learning style issue or an auditory processing problem.

Most of all, just keep swimming....

Heather

I really cannot begin to express my gratitude to all of you. Your encouragement and support is truly beyond measure. The past few weeks have been really stressful and I feel that at least this is one area of my life that I will be able to get under control.

Now, if any of you have a solution to the incessant whining, crying and fighting that goes on in my household between my (2) two-year olds and how to get out from under the massive loads of laundry that need to be done I will really be on the road to sanity!

Thank you again, and if anyone has any other suggestions, they are more than welcome.

Blessings, Lisa

My dh has (adult diagnosed) ADHD and he's absolutely the poster boy for it--every symptom in spades. But what you're describing, first your ds cannot do the work, then under threats he can, is absolutely ADHD--my husband can remember the name of every Civil War general's horse, but sometimes not my name! It comes down to what is highly interesting--if your ds is under threat, or taking an SAT, the crisis makes it highly interesting and he can pay attention. We've been told that many emergency room doctors are ADHD--crisis allows them to function and focus. With dh, the attention issue used to cause a lot of fights between us, because obviously that was a way to get his focused attention :glare:

On the other hand, I worked with another ADHD child last spring, also 5th grade, and seriously behind in reading. It really gets to be an issue in regular school because by 6th grade, they expect these skills to be in place and move on to content. So you begin to lag in content, also. While you're working on those skills, I'd highly recommend read alouds and audio books for content in history, geography, etc. so the information still gets "loaded". She also really liked Megawords, which did improve her reading. Also, she found computer driven instruction to be more involving than books and paper. Also, getting outside every day really helped her.

HTH, and best of luck.

Danielle

Oh Lisa, I just wanted to join in the hug fest and encourage you to keep working on it! You're going to get there and find things that click for him. You've gotten a lot of good advice that I would second, especially about looking at WRTR/SWR/AAS to remediate his spelling and reading all with one shot and getting back to basics with the math. You can school year round, so DON'T be afraid to put him back!

On the reading, not only would I toss Island of the Blue Dolphins, but could I suggest that you go even further out of the box? It sounds like his reading level is about 4th or 5th grade, and his COMFORT reading level will be even lower, say 3rd grade. I suggest you look for the Great Illustrated Classics (abridged but interesting classics, inexpensive at the bookstore), Magic Treehouse, the Childhood of Famous Americans books, or other things on that level. His level might come up a bit if the materially particularly interests him, but don't be afraid to let him read lower stuff. The point is to get him READING. And for your time when you're focusing on reading (which I wouldn't do a lot btw, maybe only 2 times a week, no torture sessions, no pressure), I'd get something very high interest for him. Is there a war plane encyclopedia or something he finds particularly interesting? Let HIM bring you something HE wants to read aloud. He's probably not going to want to, haha, but a little will do him good. Really though, if you can do remediating with SWR/WRTR/AAS, I think you're going to see his reading skills improve without long torture sessions of forced oral reading. Remediate his skills and the rest will come. Some kids fall through the cracks in school, and now you're giving him the attention he needs to have success. You can do this! :)

If it were me I would go back to the basics. I would simplify all the curriculum and work on basic phonics, math facts and being able to work with the ADHD. I think that I would make school and lessons short and sweet for a month or two while you work on the basics. Give him simple challenges daily and then reward him for a job well done. For instance, "Today, I want you to memorize the 3 and 4 times tables and I will test you on them. If you can do each of them in 3 min, you will get a reward." Since he has ADHD, I would probably stay away from sugar rewards but perhaps 10 min more computer time or a small toy from a treasure box.

I completely agree with this advice. If it were me, I would also drop all the other subjects until Christmas. During this time, I would play math games (yahtzee is good for multiplication skills and quick addition skills) and work on reading.

For reading, I would also go back to the basics. By this I mean that I would pick a good book with an interesting story line but that is several grade levels below 5th. One example would be My Father's Dragon. Other possibilities are The Boxcar Children, Toys Go Out, or any of the 2nd grade Pathway Readers. Then, I would practice with my son narrating back to me after each paragraph. If he could do that, then I would go on to two paragraphs at a time and build up to a narration after each chapter. I would do this initially with ME reading aloud to him.

Once you figure out his comprehension level, then you can start to work to improve it. It is going to be very hard to remediate his comprehension if you don't even know at what level he can do it successfully. Start with about 2nd grade and work your way up from there.

I would tackle reading aloud in the same way. Start with easy stuff (but not easy readers, or he will likely feel insulted). I usually alternate paragraphs with my son, but take over a few additional paragraphs near the end of the session as he starts to peter out. I think it is helpful to pick a book with a lot of dialogue because then you can have your son reread certain sentences "in character." This promotes fluency and gives him the chance to pay close attention to the punctuation within in the quote.

Also, I want to say that reading aloud fluently is a very challenging skill. Personally, I love to read aloud and do so with emotion. This is very hard for young people, though. I scan the upcoming text so I know for sure who is talking; I look for clue words to tell me the emotion involved. Also, I have read a lot, so I can predict what's coming with a fair degree of accuracy. Plus, I'm nearly 40--I've had A LOT of experience at it. I mention this only because it's easy to take for granted the effort involved in reading aloud well.

Sorry to end so abruptly, but school was supposed to start several minutes ago. Gotta run! Good luck!!

I have an adhder, and recommend staying open to modifying your teaching in regard to both amount and style to achieve success.

Have you read "RIght-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World?" It shows how to tutor right-brained kids, which are often where adhder's fall. It also explains why phonics is often a waste of time for visual-spatial learners. Phonics instruction does not guarantee good readers and spellers - and IRL I have not know one ADHDer who was helped by detailed phonics instruction. You will usually get your left-brained teachers and kids riding the phonics train, while your right-brainer is mystified and actually made worse by more and more phonics. Check out the ideas in "You Can Teach Your Child Successfully" by Ruth Beechick, or "Learning in Spite of Labels" by Joyce Herzog.

I have also found "Teaching with Love and Logic" and materials on multiple intelligences helpful in knowing how to teach and plan for my adhder.

Have you joined an adhd support group? Check out "Adhd of the Christian Kind" if you are a Christian, otherwise, find online or IRL support. This is so helpful.

Here is what works for me:

Offer choices. Share control. Give control on YOUR terms, or he will take it on HIS. For more on this, see "Teaching with Love and Logic."

Have structure. You know, a checklist, routine, and rhythm.

Eat often - every 2.5 hours at least. Offer high protein snacks, fresh fruit, veggies, and nuts. Avoid processed sugar, white flour, preservatives, and corn syrup for starters. Basically, avoid things out of a box or from the snack aisle. Go for whole foods that will keep your son's blood sugar and focus more stable. Eat at least six times a day.

Go for visually oriented curriculum. Avoid curriculum that depends on wordy explanations and lengthy teacher-talk. Find things that allow for independence. This avoids a lot of conflict at my house. For example, I use CLE English and Math because dd can work on those independently. The explanations are short and sweet.

Incorporate the computer where you can. Some ideas are DiscoveryStreaming, Time4Learning, CyberEd Science, K12, Typing Instructor Deluxe typing software, educational software. I incorporate the computer quite a bit for science (CyberEd from Homeschool Buyer's Co-op) and typing. I have also used Time4Learning during times I was burned out and needed a break from teaching.

Read whole, living books, skipping the tedious literature guides. The guides will only make the adhder hate reading. So, we fill a basket with wonderful, living books (ALL of which are acceptable and worthy) and let dd choose. We discuss the books naturally. DD WANTS to discuss the books, because she had a say in choosing it. NOTE-when using a book basket, only offer choices that you are 100% excited about, or the kid will always choose the one you didn't want them to! : )

Incorporate multiple intelligences ideas to help you vary your teaching. For example, learn through music, movement, logic, and art.

Don't be afraid of videos. My dd has learned a ton watching educational history videos; we subscribe to Discovery Streaming.

I limit "unproductive" video and computer time. It's pretty much educational only during the school week. If she wants fun and whimsical, she can pick up a fantasy book or play a game. ADHDers really do better without computer and tv time during the week. My dd's whole demeanor changes once her brain has been watching tv. She gets to be a handful after watching tv, so we save it for a Friday or Saturday night when she can go to bed afterwards. : )

Some of our favorite curriculums are:

CLE math and English

CyberEd Science

BJU Science

TruthQuest History

Corps of Rediscovery kits

Adventures in Science kits

Discovery Streaming

In times of burnout:

Time4Learning.com

Modified Unschooling (as directed in adhd of the Christian Kind)

You can make it. It is not easy, but it does get better as you find things that work for you and get support.

Best of luck to you,

Tami

I have an adhder, and recommend staying open to modifying your teaching in regard to both amount and style to achieve success.

Have you read "RIght-Brained Child in a Left-Brained World?" It shows how to tutor right-brained kids, which are often where adhder's fall. It also explains why phonics is often a waste of time for visual-spatial learners. Phonics instruction does not guarantee good readers and spellers - and IRL I have not know one ADHDer who was helped by detailed phonics instruction. You will usually get your left-brained teachers and kids riding the phonics train, while your right-brainer is mystified and actually made worse by more and more phonics. Check out the ideas in "You Can Teach Your Child Successfully" by Ruth Beechick, or "Learning in Spite of Labels" by Joyce Herzog.

I have also found "Teaching with Love and Logic" and materials on multiple intelligences helpful in knowing how to teach and plan for my adhder.

Have you joined an adhd support group? Check out "Adhd of the Christian Kind" if you are a Christian, otherwise, find online or IRL support. This is so helpful.

Here is what works for me:

Offer choices. Share control. Give control on YOUR terms, or he will take it on HIS. For more on this, see "Teaching with Love and Logic."

Have structure. You know, a checklist, routine, and rhythm.

Eat often - every 2.5 hours at least. Offer high protein snacks, fresh fruit, veggies, and nuts. Avoid processed sugar, white flour, preservatives, and corn syrup for starters. Basically, avoid things out of a box or from the snack aisle. Go for whole foods that will keep your son's blood sugar and focus more stable. Eat at least six times a day.

Go for visually oriented curriculum. Avoid curriculum that depends on wordy explanations and lengthy teacher-talk. Find things that allow for independence. This avoids a lot of conflict at my house. For example, I use CLE English and Math because dd can work on those independently. The explanations are short and sweet.

Incorporate the computer where you can. Some ideas are DiscoveryStreaming, Time4Learning, CyberEd Science, K12, Typing Instructor Deluxe typing software, educational software. I incorporate the computer quite a bit for science (CyberEd from Homeschool Buyer's Co-op) and typing. I have also used Time4Learning during times I was burned out and needed a break from teaching.

Read whole, living books, skipping the tedious literature guides. The guides will only make the adhder hate reading. So, we fill a basket with wonderful, living books (ALL of which are acceptable and worthy) and let dd choose. We discuss the books naturally. DD WANTS to discuss the books, because she had a say in choosing it. NOTE-when using a book basket, only offer choices that you are 100% excited about, or the kid will always choose the one you didn't want them to! : )

Incorporate multiple intelligences ideas to help you vary your teaching. For example, learn through music, movement, logic, and art.

Don't be afraid of videos. My dd has learned a ton watching educational history videos; we subscribe to Discovery Streaming.

I limit "unproductive" video and computer time. It's pretty much educational only during the school week. If she wants fun and whimsical, she can pick up a fantasy book or play a game. ADHDers really do better without computer and tv time during the week. My dd's whole demeanor changes once her brain has been watching tv. She gets to be a handful after watching tv, so we save it for a Friday or Saturday night when she can go to bed afterwards. : )

Some of our favorite curriculums are:

CLE math and English

CyberEd Science

BJU Science

TruthQuest History

Corps of Rediscovery kits

Adventures in Science kits

Discovery Streaming

In times of burnout:

Time4Learning.com

Modified Unschooling (as directed in adhd of the Christian Kind)

You can make it. It is not easy, but it does get better as you find things that work for you and get support.

Best of luck to you,

Tami

:iagree:

The only thing that I would add is an idea I use which came from ADDitude Magazine (a great subscription for those who have children with ADD). I let my daughter have a stress ball to fidget with while she is working. It is far less disruptive than any of her normal fidgets and it helps keep her focused. I have also found that when I need her to listen carefully, sometimes it helps her if she can do this standing up instead of sitting down. Changes in position or environment help her to refocus her "Turbo Brain". Be patient and don't lose hope. You are not alone. :001_smile:

I would put saxon math aside for now (since he's ahead anyways) and really work on those math facts. My 4th grade teacher used to give us treats when we would have a set of facts down. We were working on multiplication and she did not let us get away with not knowing our mutliplication tables. If he has a good memory it should take less than a month maybe. Then I would review once a week.

As for the reading, that's gonna be a tough one. What comes to my mind is maybe a pen. Have him run the pen under the line he's reading (point not extended - we don't wanna draw lines all over the book). I would also simplify ... ALOT. Keep the room he's in while he reads, very plain and simple. Nothing to catch his attention and have his mind wander. I would also ask very simple questions as well. If its a detailed question that is asking for a detailed answer, I would break that question down into several questions.

:grouphug: Hang in there!

It also explains why phonics is often a waste of time for visual-spatial learners. Phonics instruction does not guarantee good readers and spellers - and IRL I have not know one ADHDer who was helped by detailed phonics instruction. You will usually get your left-brained teachers and kids riding the phonics train, while your right-brainer is mystified and actually made worse by more and more phonics. Tami

This is the first I have heard of this. I know there was a thread recently about Dyslexics and phonics vs. whole word, but I have never seen this applied to ADD. Do you have more information? I am thinking maybe it depends on the reason for the ADD?

After reading the dyslexia/whole word/phonics article

This whole thread has some really good thoughts that seem to apply.

And I see that Ellie rec'd WRTR in this thread, and I completely agree. You can use this method (or variations of it, or modify it to fit your kid, or the ideas from it) to fit all sorts of learners. It uses many senses: seeing (sight learners), saying (talkative learners), hearing (auditory learners), and writing (kinesthetic learners). If you take the time to learn how it works, then you can use it as much or as little as you need to with your child. Some kids with long attention spans can do 20 spelling words per day, some kids who need to bounce on an exercise ball can do 5 words per day. We've done the bouncy ball thing here, many times. But they will still get the same brain pattern training, and directional training for dyslexic-type kids, and they will get all those senses working together to be able to spell and read confidently, which is the goal.

This is the first I have heard of this. I know there was a thread recently about Dyslexics and phonics vs. whole word, but I have never seen this applied to ADD. Do you have more information? I am thinking maybe it depends on the reason for the ADD?

We did phonics for basic reading, but rule-based phonics for spelling has not worked with any of the several adhd families I know that have used it. For more on the "why's" on that, I'd have to do research. Phonics makes perfect sense, to a sequential, linguistic, left-brained learner. It is the "best" way to learn to spell. However, in my limited experience, extended phonics has not helped adhders to spell, and is not a cure all. Explicit, rule-based phonics does not always result in great spellers. There are those who will tell you that rule-based phonics is the best prescriptive for every child, but I wonder if they have worked with adhders and visual-spatial learners. In fact, in my personal experience, our adhders become more confounded and confused by it, and do better with dictation and traditional spelling. They are typically visual, and do well with reading and spelling that takes advantage of that particular strength.

To me, it sounds like an attention issue, but perhaps I am hearing wrong. If it is adhd, there is no cure-all, including explicit phonics. The adhd parenting "cure" is a lot of patience, being willing to think outside the box, using a child's strengths to overcome weaknesses, and just plain perseverance despite adversity. Instead of a bare bones, boring 3R's curriculum of basic remediation that would be the usual advice, I would advocate a sparkling, stimulating program that will challenge, feed and interest the adhd mind.

: )

Tami

From what I have read, you have been given some wonderful advice. I can only think of adding a recommendation for checking out Phonics Pathways (PP). PP is geared toward remedial students and adults. It gives great advice for using it to teach reading, phonics, and spelling. You might find it at your library.

***Also, you are doing a commendable job in all that you have taken on! Understanding your son's strengths and weaknesses will go a long way in helping him learn. A classroom teacher could not have the insight, determination, and love that you have for him and that will make a huge difference- in time you will see that. Stay the course! :001_smile:

The laundry will get done eventually and your kids can really take on some of the household responsibilities, even 2 yr olds... but it might be easier to do it yourself when they are in bed. I require one hour of quiet (reading) time after lunch and it is a great way to get a few things done but my children did need to be trained in what quiet time is and how to stay in a bed or chair with a book.

Susan

However, in my limited experience, extended phonics has not helped adhders to spell, and is not a cure all. Explicit, rule-based phonics does not always result in great spellers. There are those who will tell you that rule-based phonics is the best prescriptive for every child, but I wonder if they have worked with adhders and visual-spatial learners. In fact, in my personal experience, our adhders become more confounded and confused by it, and do better with dictation and traditional spelling. They are typically visual, and do well with reading and spelling that takes advantage of that particular strength.

To me, it sounds like an attention issue, but perhaps I am hearing wrong. If it is adhd, there is no cure-all, including explicit phonics. The adhd parenting "cure" is a lot of patience, being willing to think outside the box, using a child's strengths to overcome weaknesses, and just plain perseverance despite adversity. Instead of a bare bones, boring 3R's curriculum of basic remediation that would be the usual advice, I would advocate a sparkling, stimulating program that will challenge, feed and interest the adhd mind.

: )

Tami

Thanks for explaining. I am extremely visual, and ADD, though not hyper. ;) I was taught to read with phonics, but I did extremely well with list based spelling. I also find it extremely easy to remember where to find information (for an open book test for example). I can picture the page it was on and the location of it.

For a stimulating program I would recommend Sea & Sky. Perfect for a 5th grade boy. Particularly the first three books.

Recommended Readers: Voyage of Ice, The Strange Intruder, True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Shanghaied to China, Star in the Storm, White Star, Wild Trek, Everything Kids Shark Bk

It also helps me to focus on the task at hand, whatever that may be, if I have music or TV on in the background. (I know, it sounds really bad, but that's how I got all my HS work done, and household chores now.) Otherwise I get distracted and off-task over and over.

Just want to echo what Tami said, that in reality rules-based spelling doesn't cure all kids, any more than understanding math leads to fast facts. (Ooo, what a tongue twister!) I don't even have an ADDer, but I've beat my head around with that one till I finally accepted it. I still like SWR/WRTR as a place to START and a way of explaining things. Reality is, like Tami is saying, to get things into the dc's head, sometimes you have to try a lot of different hammers, wrenches, screws, bolts, anchors, clamps... In retrospect I think the dictation book for Spelling Plus would have been just the thing for my dd. But I like it in conjunction with the explanations of SWR/WRTR. And her advice about integrating in computer time (yeah for Calvert spelling cd's!) and more stimulating materials has worked well for us. Sometimes it's not even just about being ADD, but just how some people's brains learn.

No advice here, but I did want to offer you some support. Your ds sounds very similar to my little sister. Also ADHD, with comprehension issues, and lots of problems with the mechanics of writing. How I wish I could homeschool her!

I agree that you need to return to the basics, and get his reading and writing up to speed. Don't worry about labels, and just work with him where he is, and try to get his confidence up, so he enjoys learning. Good luck!

I have a son that is 11 with ADHD as well. I agree with the post that said to think outside the box a little. My son hated to read aloud and was not very good at it last year when we started homeschooling. It took a lot of patience and reassuring to get him confident in that area. We started by asking him what HE was interested in reading. We then checked out books from the library that he wanted to read. We would read them together taking turns reading aloud to one another. Letting him pick books that he was interested in made all the difference for him.

As far as spelling my son struggles in that area as well. I try to be as creative as I can to help him learn his words. We write spelling words in chalk outside, fingerpaint them, make puzzles out of our words, let him play the drums(our pots) while saying the words out loud, throwing a ball back and forth while saying the words, etc.. Anything he can do that is fun or gets him moving engages him.

I also include in our learning tools: educational games, Cds, movies, crafts. We also use Winter Promise that is great on including lots of hands on activites. If something sparks an interest for him, we run with it also. By giving him more choices in his education he has really sparkled. For example, he loves penguins. So we took a break from our science and are doing a penguin unit. He loves it and can't get enough.

That is the great thing about homeschooling, you can choose to use methods that work for your child :001_smile:

Thanks again to all of you. I have made the decision, based on all your suggestions, to back off and slow down for now. Our day yesterday consisted of reading one chapter very slowly from Adam and His Kin (just to finish the book, we are almost done - I realize now that this is probably not the best choice for him), doing a science lesson on the sun outside (he really enjoyed this) watching a lesson on the sun on DiscoveryStreaming and going over math facts, again outside. The rest of the day was spent cuddling and praising. I realize that more worrisome than any academic issues that we may be encountering is the fact that my frustration has begun to wear on my son's self-esteem. The next week will be spent building his confidence and cuddling.

I have purchased WRTR and also WWE. I am going to start with WWE next week at level one. I plan on continuing with Saxon 7/6 after our math facts are solidified and Apologia Astronomy is a hit with him. With regard to hitory, we are doing MOH I. I am wondering if I should've started him with American History. Any thoughts here? I probably won't delve into anything structured until after the Christmas break but want to get him excited about learning as best I can in the meantime by reading some fun books to him. He has not had any history to speak of, except the very basics, up until now.

To answer a few questions, yes, I am an adoptive mom but my 10 year old is homegrown. We have just adopted a 2 year old girl and are getting ready to adopt another 2 year old boy. They are 18 days apart and we have been fostering them since birth. I had a normal pregnancy with my ds but my dh is definitely ADD. Having said that, one doctor that my dh and I took our son to did mention that he may also have auditory processing issues but we were unable to continue with testing because of finances (the fee was in excess of $3,000). Our insurance does not cover any testing other than ADHD. I am unfamiliar with any testing offered by the public school system and see that I need to research it. Have any of you had your children tested through the public school system? I know that there is a very lengthy wait. That is the extent of my knowledge.

If you are still with me, thank you for reading my ramblings and again for all your support and encouragement.

Blessings, Lisa

BTW, Tami, the lesson you posted on your blog regarding checking multiplication by doing digit sums is a HUGE hit this morning. Thank you!

I have purchased WRTR and also WWE. I am going to start with WWE next week at level one. I plan on continuing with Saxon 7/6 after our math facts are solidified and Apologia Astronomy is a hit with him. With regard to hitory, we are doing MOH I.

If you decide to continue with MOH, you can jazz it up with some fun resources that are pulled together for you here.

I think someone mentioned trouble reading combined with auditory issues. Sounds like they were on the right track.

Wishing you the best.

As far as history goes,I think you could make MOH1 work. In our winterpromise QMA it uses MOH2 as its spine. The lessons are short enough that my son can sit through them. In the back of the book are some great suggestions for adding things into MOH. I would just add some fun books, movies, crafts, and field trips to go along with the study.

For the testing, would a children's hospital offer it to at no cost? You might want to check as I know some offer services for free to those that could not afford it. My sister had her son tested for hearing issues at no cost. Might be worth a phone call :glare: Or even a call to the county Health Department to see if they might be help.

I am glad to hear you are working on cuddling and building up self esteem. I know my son thought he was stupid coming out of the school system. We worked really hard on telling him how smart he is. He is now a confident little boy. Hang in there, it will get better. There will always be some days that they will challenge your patience, but it helps to know you are not alone. I tell my son when he has a bad day: Tomorrow is a brand new day :001_smile:

I have purchased WRTR and also WWE. I am going to start with WWE next week at level one.

I think Spalding (WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method) will address all of your ds's language-related issues: reading, spelling, punctuation, everything. It probably would have been useful for you to have purchased a kit, but you can do Spalding with just the manual, the Spelling Assessment Manual, and the phonogram cards.

Just wanted to chime in that my son is also ADHD and acheived A's in spelling in school when, in reality, he can't spell a lick. He also has issues with his writing rules, but he does well with comprehension once it is read properly. He does, however, guess at words he can't read; therefore, he often also changes the entire meaning of a sentence. Then, of course, he does not understand it!

We are using Calvert 4th grade and going at his pace. Some days, his attention span is so bad, we just have to stop for awhile and come back to it. Yesterday was one of those days. Unfortunately, I have a younger child who is EASY to homeschool and this makes my older son seem all the more difficult!

*hugs*

• 2 weeks later...

Are you certain that he isn't at all dyslexic? Everything you mention points in that direction.....reading w/o regard to any punctuation, skipping words, adding words, loosing his place, not being able to spell......classic classic dyslexia symptoms.

I'd do some testing/investigating on that front to see what turns up. Sally Shaywitz's book _Overcoming Dyslexia_ is the most thorough overview of the currently available scientific literature wrt dyslexia. It's excellent.

If that is the issue, you'll be able to use the book as a roadmap really....outlining exactly what you need to do to move forward. Time is of the essence, it's very difficult to remediate as they get older.....but still absolutely possible and worth the effort to get a dx and accomodations.

All the best,

Katherine

I have remediated many children who were suffering from too many sight words. Nonsense words, spelling work, and learning syllable division rules have been key to making it work. Also, avoiding any outside reading during remediation and just focusing on phonics, most text is at least 50% sight words so any regular reading leads them back into guessing mode.

There is a test called the MWIA that you can use to determine if a student is suffering from too many sight words.

http://www.donpotter.net/PDF/MWIA%20I%20&%20II%20Manual%20&%20Test.pdf

If he reads the phonetic words slower than the holistic words or misses more of the phonetic words than the holistic words, he needs some daily focused phonics help, with nonsense words to break the guessing habit. It's best to use a program that doesn't have any stories or sentences associated with it, or just skip those until he's over-learned all the phonics basics.

In closing, are there any books that you can recommend that would be exciting for him (he likes all things boy) that would be on his level and would get him interested in reading. So far, it is all but a chore for him. *sigh*

Thank you again, ladies. You are the best!

Blessings, Lisa

When my oldest came home in 5th grade, the book which "hooked" him was called Be a Perfect Person in Three Days, by Stephen Manes. I read it out loud to him - just us on the sofa.

Hoping this link isn't too long: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Person-Just-Three-Days/dp/0440413494/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223268745&sr=8-1

Then I used a list off of Listmania at Amazon titled "Great Books for Boys aged 9-12". But, my computer crashed, and I no longer have that link, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to search Amazon to find it! It was filled with books that are wonderful books, but not quite so "high brow" as the average WTM-Mom desires for her progeny ;). We didn't use them for school, but as "Mom reads enough to get dc's interest, then hands him the book and says - you read it!"

But, if you go to the link, there is a section titled "Customers Who Bought this Item Also Bought". Scroll through there, and you'll see quite a few. Also, search for Chocolate Fever, and scroll through the ones there, too.

Oh, and my favorite read-aloud of all time is definitely The Tale of Despereaux. It has everything a 10yo boy will love, though it is too good for mom to miss!

HTH,

Rhonda

I'd do a search on the boards for the advice regarding ADHD. Jen has lots of experience and she has incredible ideas about really fostering a love of learning in an ADHD student.

Secondly, I'd make sure that whatever you are using to control the ADHD is working. As asked, is he on meds? Are they working? Does he get enough green therapy, etc.

I would focus on basics as everyone has said. Have him read aloud daily, correcting him gently on grammar and pronunciation. This is very normal to have to do.

I would go back and work on decoding skills. I'll suggest the Explode the Code series as well as AlphaPhonics again, because they will pick up areas of weakness.

I would also read aloud to him from books that are below his "level" but that are interesting and engaging, including joke and comic books (Calvin and Hobbs is a huge fav around here) and ask him to tell you what it's about (narration).

I would play books on tape during free play.

I would drill the math facts- ditch the math book- until he has them down. Quarter Mile Math is a fun computer game.

Have you seen some of the lapbooks these days? Hands of a Child has some great hands-on lap books that are self contained (easy for mom) that are easily turned into a unit study and are great for kinetic learners.