Menu

What city not to miss near Orlando - looking for beautiful beaches

momee

Just to stay at before we get to Orlando - I'm sorry we're kind of frazzled with so many last minute details.  

I figured once we get to Orlando we will want to be at the pools and theme parks.  

So I was thinking it might be nice to begin our trip with a stopover in a cool town on the way down (Savannah?).  We would then spend a night before our arrival in Orlando in a beach town like the previous suggestion of Clearwater.  I'm asking because I don't know the areas at all and don't know what are the "must see" spots in the area.

I would drive on to Orlando if you're planning to hit the parks on arrival day. It's not a bad drive from Savannah to Orlando, and unloading-reloading the car with kids is exhausting! Maybe stop at the beach on the way home for some relaxation? (Hahahaha relaxing with little kids on a beach!)

If I were coming from Savannah, I would probably stick to an east coast beach like Cocoa Beach and then head over to Orlando, rather than a west coast beach like Siesta Key or Clearwater.  I live in Clearwater and that is what I would do.  Siesta Key is a beautiful place but sort of out of the way.

We stayed at the DoubleTree Oceanfront hotel in Cocoa Beach and liked it.  It is about half an hour to Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center, and right on a nice, wide beach.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 2

The Gulf side is prettier but the east coast will be easier if you're coming down I-95 from Savannah. St. Augustine is nice. I wouldn't really go much farther south than that unless you were to go very far south (which defeats the purpose and in that case you might as well go west).

My parents adore Amelia Island, which would be more on your way (near Jacksonville). Much more...pretty...than say Cocoa. 

Amelia Island is lovely. Cocoa Beach is in my general area and while it's fine if you want something close, it's not very pretty. And it's crowded and quite touristy, so not all that relaxing. You could go down more towards Satellite Beach which isn't gorgeous but is nice. The Brevard County beaches (Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral, Satellite, Melbourne, etc.) are the closest to WDW so they have that going for them. 

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 3

Amelia Island is nice, but doesn't have white sand beaches, if that's what you want. It has very shell intensive beaches. If you go to downtown Fernandina, there are cute shops and restaurants. There is also an amazing place, Fort Clinch, to explore. If you go to the other side of Amelia, you get nicer hotels and condos.

Be warned- the traffic from Daytona through Orlando is awful. There is a lot of construction, along with normal traffic. Jacksonville had a lot of construction too.

• Like 2

Thanks for this post!  We're headed to Orlando for a meet in early Feb. and I want the girls to see the ocean while we're down there.

+1  We plan to fly up to Orlando in April and I would like to take "my girls" (Wife and DD) to a Beach on one of the days.  

Ice Skating on another day...

• Like 1

When are you going to be in Florida? If the weather gets cold, you should come to Crystal River to see the manatees!

Yes, we used to go there all the time and stay at the Plantation.   I had such fun snorkeling with the manatees one year (but it was super cold when I got back on the boat.

• Like 1

We love Amelia Island, but I don't think it's a must see.  For better beaches, think the Gulf.  I'd even think about driving down to Sarasota and going to Siesta Key.  St. Armand's Circle is nice, or you can go Amish and go to Pinecraft.   

If it's cold, go to Blue Springs Park (Orange City/DeLandish area) and you can see Manatee live.  There's a spring there, so they hang out when it's cold. (Water temp below 72).

You can also go cook your own pancakes at the Sugar Mill in De Leon Springs. 

Edited by umsami

St. Augustine is great. We went there last spring. We spent three days. It's a really nice beach and nice town.

We did Orlando in August. We didn't add to the trip by staying at another vacation spot on the way. I also drove from the DC area. I drove to someplace in Ga. and stayed at a really cheap motel. I timed it so we pulled in later! Ate dinner and want to bed. We got up, finished the drive well before lunch and spent the rest of the day enjoying the pools at our resort hotel. I figured since I was paying for the hotel amenities I might as well enjoy them, so that was my recovery day before we started hitting parks hard.

for me its not worth staying in a nice spot if I'm only passing through overnight. If I stop in Savannah, I want to hang out there a day or two. So, if I wanted to plan the trip with a stop in Savannah or St. Augustine, I'd be planning it so I had a full day or day and a half. Thats just me...

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando was awesome!  We ended up getting a free dress and a $60 hairdo and makeover at the Bippity Boppity Salon in the palace of Magic Kingdom.  Afterwards I found out you usually have to reserve a spot 6 months in advance!!  Three days was plenty to do Disney - by the 4th day we were dragging and we actually got a refund because day 5 sounded like torture instead of fun :)

We stayed on Pawley's Island at the beginning of the trip - just south of Myrtle Beach.  Nice and quiet, learned that beachfront does not mean ocean view :) according to Orbitz.  Also learned it is better to book directly through the hotel than a third party.

On the way back from Disney, we stayed in Isle of Palms right outside of Charleston.  I LOVED Charleston!!!  We hit the second Sunday which meant Kings Street was closed to traffic.  Great street party atmosphere - we saw lots of things we don't get to see everyday.  To include a man with a stroller just for his miniature poodle!

We visited Rainbow Row and toured the city market.  We ate great food - was restaurant week - and shopped till we dropped.

Thanks for all your help - it was a perfect vacation!

• Like 2