Menu

BW52: 2015 Year End Wrap Up!

Robin M

Robin, you might enjoy the book I finished last night.  It is M. L. Buchman's Target Engaged the first book in his new Delta Force series.  (You'll see a few familiar characters from his Nightstalkers series.)  I enjoyed the book.

"Delta Force: The most dangerous elite counter-terrorism force on the planet

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The deadliest shooters Ă¢â‚¬Â¢
Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The most out-of-the-box thinkers in any military Ă¢â‚¬Â¢
Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Will die to get the mission done Ă¢â‚¬Â¢

Sergeant Kyle Reeves: The premier soldier of the new recruits
Sergeant Carla Anderson: The first woman of Delta Force

If the training doesn't kill them, their passion may-but Kyle Reeves and Carla Anderson blast right in. Show no fear. Have no fear. Then they get the call. The most powerful drug-smuggling ring in Venezuela needs a takedown, and Delta's newest team leaps into the deep jungle to deliver. Giving their all? Not a problem. Giving their hearts? That takes a new level of courage."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a wrap-up thread, but I'm so excited that I can't quite wait till next week's reboot gets started to pipe up. I've been haunting the boards for years (mostly the K-8 section), but I never read any of the Book a Week threads until a few days ago. Last week's was linked on either the Gen. or K8 forum for some unremembered reason. And, I got sucked in. :)

Our local library has an adult winter reading challenge, and I think (every year) that after such a good start (20 books before the end of March), I should have no problem reading at least a book a week for the rest of the year. But, it almost never happens. This is the year! (I've already got a few books on hold at the library based on your descriptions of enjoying them.)

I hope it's all right to crash the party uninvited. It looks like such a fun party! :)

• Like 19

I know this is a wrap-up thread, but I'm so excited that I can't quite wait till next week's reboot gets started to pipe up. I've been haunting the boards for years (mostly the K-8 section), but I never read any of the Book a Week threads until a few days ago. Last week's was linked on either the Gen. or K8 forum for some unremembered reason. And, I got sucked in. :)

Our local library has an adult winter reading challenge, and I think (every year) that after such a good start (20 books before the end of March), I should have no problem reading at least a book a week for the rest of the year. But, it almost never happens. This is the year! (I've already got a few books on hold at the library based on your descriptions of enjoying them.)

I hope it's all right to crash the party uninvited. It looks like such a fun party! :)

I did the same thing a year ago - discovered BaW, lurked around the wrap-up threads, and thought it looked like so much fun I had to join in.  I love it! It's now my favorite part of the Hive, without a doubt.  Welcome!

• Like 16

Please share what you are reading this week as well as your reading lists and tell us about your reading year:

I finished History of the Medieval World. I loved it and am looking forward to HoRW.

:hurray:

Watercolour pencils are fun. You can get a brush that has water in the grip if you want to use them away from home, like in a waiting room. You can get some ideas for how to use them by making a few overlapping upsidedown v,s in purple and then drawing the colour down with a wet paintbrush to make mountains, then making a circle and scribbling it in loosely with green, yellow, and a bit of red to make a tree. Mixing a few red and yellow lines in with green turns the unlikely shade of green into a realistic one. Ditto with the brown for fur - mix in white, black, red , and or yellow. Or mix blue with the black. Of course if it is designs you are colouring, this won,t matter, but I always found coloured pencils frustrating, especially the watercolour ones, until I figured that out. But you might already know this. : )

Nan

Thanks Nan, I didn't know this actually so will have to experiment a bit more.

Robin, you might enjoy the book I finished last night.  It is M. L. Buchman's Target Engaged the first book in his new Delta Force series.  (You'll see a few familiar characters from his Nightstalkers series.)  I enjoyed the book.

"Delta Force: The most dangerous elite counter-terrorism force on the planet

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The deadliest shooters Ă¢â‚¬Â¢

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ The most out-of-the-box thinkers in any military Ă¢â‚¬Â¢

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Will die to get the mission done Ă¢â‚¬Â¢

Sergeant Kyle Reeves: The premier soldier of the new recruits

Sergeant Carla Anderson: The first woman of Delta Force

If the training doesn't kill them, their passion may-but Kyle Reeves and Carla Anderson blast right in. Show no fear. Have no fear. Then they get the call. The most powerful drug-smuggling ring in Venezuela needs a takedown, and Delta's newest team leaps into the deep jungle to deliver. Giving their all? Not a problem. Giving their hearts? That takes a new level of courage."

Regards,

Kareni

It's in my ebook pile. Thank you! 

Welcome to the party, Segway!!!!

I had an idea, thanks to Eliana and her emily Dickinson quote about frigate is like a book.   Since Dickinson is also on WEM list, I figured could make her the poet (poetess) mascot, sponsor, figurehead, masthead  of the year for 52 Books since reference the poem.     I can't call her a masthead because that just doesn't sound right.  What sounds best?  Muse? Figurehead?  Mascot?  Don't want it to sound dorky.

• Like 11

How many books did you read this year and did you meet or beat your own personal goal? 

I beat all my goals.  First, I wanted to read more than 100 books.  Second, I wanted to do the special 52 book challenge in among my books.  And, third, I wanted to read more books and pages than I ever have before.  I read 126 books and 37,104 pages (294 pages per book on average).  That's one more book than my previous record (2014) and 7,955 more pages (2012).

Share your top 5 favorite books. 

Messenger by Lois Lowry

Moonraker's Bride by Madeleine Brent

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn

Which books or authors you thought you'd never read and were pleasantly surprised to like them? 

The 100 Series.  My daughter begged me to read them.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed them!

One book that touched you - made you laugh, cry, sing or dance! 

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen

Share your most favorite character, covers and/or quotes? 

Character: Miri from Shannon Hale's Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters

Covers: Library of Souls and Elements (can't figure out how to post the pictures - keep getting an error)

Quotes: "Are we absolutely certain he's a wight?" asked Addison.

"Do cats grow on trees?" Emma replied.

"Not in this part of the world."

"Then of course we aren't.  But when it comes to wights, there's an old saying: If you're not sure, assume."

(Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs)

"Don't worry, Herman, the Russians won't bomb this place [a nursing home]."

(Petey by Ben Mikaelsen)

One book you thought you'd love but didn't? 

Call the Nurse by Mary J. MacLeod

What countries or centuries did you explore? 

ancient history

What books would you recommend everybody read? 

The Gregor the Underlander series

The Giver series

The Wave by Todd Strasser

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen

What was your favorite part of the challenge?

My favorite part was doing the special 52 book challenge.  It encouraged me to find books in categories I might not have otherwise read.

List of books I read this year: https://mamareader.wordpress.com/2015-2/

• Like 11

I had an idea, thanks to Eliana and her emily Dickinson quote about frigate is like a book.   Since Dickinson is also on WEM list, I figured could make her the poet (poetess) mascot, sponsor, figurehead, masthead  of the year for 52 Books since reference the poem.     I can't call her a masthead because that just doesn't sound right.  What sounds best?  Muse? Figurehead?  Mascot?  Don't want it to sound dorky.

How about the 2016 Poet Laureate?

• Like 7

Well this was a strange year for me. I'm not going to focus on the number of books I completed because I started many books this year but didn't get through them. And even though I wasn't reading books I was constantly handling and talking about books all year with my book rep job. I have learned something - that dream of having "The Shop Around the Corner" maybe isn't the best idea. It really cuts into your personal reading time. Anyway, today ds (16) and I packed up 78 boxes of book inventory and hauled it all to a storage unit since I am not renewing my book rep contract for next year. Hopefully I will have a better reading year in 2016.

Share your top 5 favorite books:

Excellent Sheep by Deresiewicz

Infidel by Aayan Hirsi Ali

Nomad by Aayan Hirsi Ali

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

The Day the World Came To Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede

Which books or authors you thought you'd never read and were pleasantly surprised to like them?

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Excellent Sheep by William Deresciewicz

Nomad by Aayan Hirsi Ali

My favorite cover: 51MyBHMOBCL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 13

How about the 2016 Poet Laureate?

I like Poet Laureate also.......

Just wanted to quickly wish everyone a Happy New Year! We have rung the New Year in literally and are home from the tower with a glass of Buck's Fizz. Basically a mimosa so bubbly. Getting ready for bed.

• Like 15

Happy New Year to all, especially those for whom it's already 2016!

My final total is 68 books. I finished A Beautiful Blue Death today.

For those who read it or plan to: I can understand Amy's gripes but they don't get in the way of the story. I did think there was some superfluous writing, but again not enough to be a bother. I'll be reading more in this series.

• Like 11

My year in books.  Don't pay any attention to dates because I tend to forget and enter them in batches.  I'm also very stingy with stars.

How many books did you read this year and did you meet or beat your own personal goal? 

My goal last year was lofty at 100,000 pages, which I surpassed, so I intentionally didn't set any goals for this year to give myself a break.  According to Goodreads I finished 173 books, just over 61,000 pages (average length per book-363 pages).

I found a few new series this year including The League Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, The Riley Jenson Guardian Series by Keri Arthur, The Vampires in America Series by D.B. Reynolds, The Night Stalkers Novels by M.L. Buchman, the Love at Stake Series by Kerrelyn Sparks, and I loved the continuations of many series I already follow.

Iced would be my favorite cover, just because I don't usually see covers (kindle), and I find it interesting to compare my version of the what Dublin would look like with that of the author.

In the Kingdom of Ice made me cry.

I was really surprised with Columbine.  I didn't think going in that I'd even finish it, I just picked it up on a whim after reading Negin's review.  I'm glad I read it. (Sorry, for some reason I can't add anymore links!)

The easiest question! My favorite part is reading what everyone else is reading, stocking my TBR wish lists, and sharing with others.

Happy New Year!  :party:

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 14

93. I don't have a personal goal, although I admit it turned out to be more then I thought. I go through periods where I finish a lot and periods where I read hardly anything.

Share your top 5 (or more) favorite books.

The Demon under the Microscope~non-fiction, pretty cool look at the invention of sulfa drugs over the 20th century.
Ship Fever and other Stories~short stories with a biological perspective, the title story is based on the true story of a cholera epidemic on immigrant ships coming into Canada in the 19th century.
The October Country~early, slightly ghoulish stories by Ray Bradbury. Neatly crafted.
Ancillary Justice~like a really great episode of Farscape (SF tv show) but with the best of Ursula LeGuinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s insight into gender and identity.

and the best was Labyrinths~Borges. What can I sayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦long awaited and so worthwhile. Dense. I read this a little at a time

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the Robopocalypse books or the Larry Niven (Draco's Tavern) all that much, but I had a great time reading both out loud to dh.

I had a real sense of wonder from the Green Knowe books (I've never read them before) and Clive Barker's youth novel The Thief of Always.

51OZBqumlPL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51kyc-UeSJL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51t%2B7-jGckL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jp61-gohT2TZL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart...too much hype I guess. 

I did a lot of Greenland and northern Canada, a lot of Eskimo and Inuit. Plus Europe, Russia, China, the Mediterranean, Japan, Persia, Argentina, Brazil, Indonesia, central Africa. 

I tried to hit more pre-15th century...and I even got a 1st BCE, 12th BCE, and 15th BCE (and 5th, 6th, 12th, -15th) but mostly I read post-16th as usual. Especially crime novels...for some reason. 

Borges' Labyrinths. 

That I get to tell you all about it now. For whatever reason I could not post here after June (Chrome problem, maybe?). I couldn't even contact support. I just stopped by to read everyone's lists. What a wonderful surprise that I could post!

• Like 15

1. As Always, Julia: the letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto~non-fiction, letters, Ă¢â‚¬Ëœ50s, Europe, food.

2. Naomi: a Novel by Tanizaki Junichiro~fiction, Japan, sexual obsession, Western culture.

3. Waistcoats & Weaponry~Youth fiction, series, steampunk adventure, 19th century.

4. 1177 BC: the Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric Cline~non-fiction, history, archaeology, Bronze Age   12th century BC, History Shelf Challenge.

5. How Children Succeed by Paul Tough~non-fiction, education, children, character.

6. Beauty by Robin McKinley~fantasy, fairy tales retold, Middle Ages, Beauty and the Beast.

7. Knitted Jackets by Cheryl Oberle~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

8. Knitting Around by Elizabeth Zimmermann~memoir, knitting education, patterns.

9. Wrap Style by Pam Allen~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

10. Souless: the Manga vol. 1 by Gail Carriger~fiction, graphic novel, series, steampunk, 19th century.

11. Bag Style by Pam Allen~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

12. Northern Knits by Lucinda Guy~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

13. Simple Style by Ann Budd~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

14. Folk Vests by Cheryl Oberle~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

15. The Haunted Monastery and the Chinese Maze Murders by Robert von Gulik~mystery, China, 6th century, based on an ancient series.

16. Castle in the Air by Diane Wynne Jones~YA, fairy tale, series.

17. Russian Folk Tales illustrated by Ivan Bilibin~fairy tale, childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s stories, Russia.

18. Life Skills Activities for Special Children by Darlene Mannix~non-fiction, education, life skills.

19. Wild Iris by Louise Gluck~poetry, nature, death, God.

20. Bookshelf by Alex Johnson~coffee table book, pictures, bookshelves.

21. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley~romance, autism, 19th century.

22. Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson~memoir, trilogy, 19th century. *

23. The QueenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Man by Sharon Kay Penman~historical fiction, mystery, England, 12th century.

24. The Knitted Slipper Book by Katie Startzman~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

25. The Thief of Always by Clive Barker~childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s fiction, supernatural quest. *

26. Odd Interlude by Dean Koontz~fiction, series, supernatural quest.

27. Easter Knits by Arne Nerjordet and Carlos Zachrison~non-fiction, knitting, patterns, holiday.

28. Teaching Math to People with Down Syndrome and Other Hands-On Learners by DeAnna Horstmeier~non-fiction, education, Math.

29. At KnitĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s End by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee~non-fiction, knitting, humor, memoir.

30. Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges~fiction & essay, short stories, Time, Argentina. Finally Finished.  **

31. How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu~science fiction, Time. Finally Finished.

32. Ultimate Mittens by Robin Hansen~knitting, patterns, mittens.

33. Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd~knitting, patterns, socks.

34. The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart~fiction, mystery, adventure, Greece.

35. Statistics Without Tears by Derek Rowntree~non-fiction, statistics, math.

36. Shoebag by Mary James~childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s fiction, fantasy.

37. Prudence by Gail Carriger~fantasy, steampunk, series. 19th century

38. Escape Velocity: a Charles Portis Miscellany~non-fiction, fiction, journalism, plays, short stories.

39. Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman~speculative fiction, feminism, utopian. 19th century

40. Ship Fever: Stories by Andrea Barrett~fiction, naturalists, history. 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th centuries. Canada. Europe. US. Indonesia. Brazil.  *

41. Hymns to the Night and Other Works by Novalis~essays, German Romanticism, love and death. 18th century. Germany.

42. The Innovators by Walter Isaacson~history, technology, computers. 19th/20th Century. *

43. Saga vol. 2 by Brian K Vaughn~graphic novel, fantasy, space

44. Saga vol. 3 by Brian K Vaughn~graphic novel, fantasy, space, series.

45. Eudora Welty: Photographs~photographs, interview, art perception.

46. Ansel Adams: Classic Photos~photographs, nature, West.

47. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey~mystery, classic, historical. 15th Century.

48. Book of the Eskimos by Peter Freuchen~memoir, Greenland culture. *

49. Age of Bronze, vol 3, The Betrayal, Part 1 by Eric Shanower~graphic novels, The Illiad. 14th Century BC.

50. The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith~mystery, ethics. Scotland.

51. The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caeser~classics, war/battles, Rome. 1st Century BC.

52. Wild Seed by Octavia Butler~fantasy, immortality, slavery. 17th 18th Century. central Africa.

53. Dead Angler by Victoria Houston~murder mystery, Wisconsin, series.

54. Dead Creek by Victoria Houston~murder mystery, Wisconsin, series.

55. Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson~science fiction, robots, dystopian war.

56. The Demon Under the Microscope by Thomas Hagen~nonfiction, medicine, discovery. Germany, France, US, UK. *

57. Time and Again by Jack Finney~time travel, New York. 19th Century.

58. The Young Visitors; or Mr. SalteenaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Plan by Daisy Ashford~fiction, humor, romance, child writer. 19th Century.

59. The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal~space, female roles, future, novella

60. The Learn-to-Knit Afgan book by Barbara G. Walker~non-fiction, knitting, patterns.

61. The Children of Green Knowe by L. M. Boston~fiction, childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s, classic, magic. *

62. Robogenesis by Daniel H Wilson~science fiction, robots, dystopian war, series.

63. 200 Fair Isle Motifs by Mary Jane Mucklestone~non fiction, visual patterns, color, knitting.

64. Case of the Missing Moonstone by Jordan Stratford~childrens, historical, mystery, Victorian.

65. Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer~childrens, historical, mystery, Victorian.

66. Treasure of Green Knowe by LM Boston~childrens, classic, magic, history.

67. Robot Uprisings by various~short stories, AI, collection.

68. Cotillion by Georgette Heyer~Regency, romance. 18th Century.

69. Blood Child by Octavia Butler~short stories, aliens, relationships.

70. Basic Illustrated Backpacking by ~nonfiction, backpacking.

71. The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro~fiction, fairy tale, memory. 5th century. *

72. Prime Baby by Gene Luen Yang~graphic novel, children, aliens.

73. The Essential Guide to Color Knitting by Margaret Radcliffe~knitting, technique.

74. The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang~graphic novel, super heroes, families..

75. Lock-in: a novel of the near future by John Scalzi~science fiction, detective fiction.

76. Redshirts by John Scalzi~science fiction, Star Trek, fiction writers.

77. Mind of My Mind by Octavia Butler~speculative fiction, human evolution, series.

78. ClayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ark by Octavia Butler~same, alien microbes.

79. Patternmaster by Octavia Butler~same.

80. Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Severeid~memoir, Ă¢â‚¬Ëœ30s, Canada.

81. 7th Sigma by Steven Gould~science fiction, KiplingĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Kim, wild west.

82. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman~science fiction, war.

83. Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card~science fiction, war, series.

84. In the Woods by Tara French~police, thriller, Ireland.

85. The October Country by Ray Bradbury~short stories, horror. *

86. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie~science fiction, space, identity. *

87. The Magician of Lublin by Isaac Bashevis Singer~fiction, Poland, forgiveness, secular vs. religious, finally finished.  

88. The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon~thriller, supernatural, New England.

89. The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven~science fiction, short stories, space/aliens.

90. The Eternal Smile by Gene Luen Yang~graphic novel, existence/meaning.

91. Call the Midwife: a Memoir by Jennifer Worth~memoir, history, medicine, Ă¢â‚¬Ëœ50s, England.*

92. Jingo by Terry Pratchett~fantasy, series, Vimes.

93. Call the Midwife: Shadows of the Workhouse by Jennifer Worth~memoir, history, England.

51 female authors

41 male authors

1 mixed

32 non-fiction

60 fiction

1 mixed

Lots of knitting books, science fiction, and crime novels. Oh, and an enjoyable flight with Victorian girl detective stories (in between the Green Knowe books there was one about Sherlock Holmes little sister and one about a pairing of tween Mary Shelley and Ada Lovelace as detectives).

• Like 13

93. I don't have a personal goal, although I admit it turned out to be more then I thought. I go through periods where I finish a lot and periods where I read hardly anything.

The Demon under the Microscope~non-fiction, pretty cool look at the invention of sulfa drugs over the 20th century.

Ship Fever and other Stories~short stories with a biological perspective, the title story is based on the true story of a cholera epidemic on immigrant ships coming into Canada in the 19th century.

The October Country~early, slightly ghoulish stories by Ray Bradbury. Neatly crafted.

Ancillary Justice~like a really great episode of Farscape (SF tv show) but with the best of Ursula LeGuinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s insight into gender and identity.

and the best was Labyrinths~Borges. What can I sayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦long awaited and so worthwhile. Dense. I read this a little at a time

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the Robopocalypse books or the Larry Niven (Draco's Tavern) all that much, but I had a great time reading both out loud to dh.

I had a real sense of wonder from the Green Knowe books (I've never read them before) and Clive Barker's youth novel The Thief of Always.

51OZBqumlPL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51kyc-UeSJL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51t%2B7-jGckL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jp61-gohT2TZL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Moon-Spinners by Mary Stewart...too much hype I guess. 

I did a lot of Greenland and northern Canada, a lot of Eskimo and Inuit. Plus Europe, Russia, China, the Mediterranean, Japan, Persia, Argentina, Brazil, Indonesia, central Africa. 

I tried to hit more pre-15th century...and I even got a 1st BCE, 12th BCE, and 15th BCE (and 5th, 6th, 12th, -15th) but mostly I read post-16th as usual. Especially crime novels...for some reason. 

Borges' Labyrinths. 

That I get to tell you all about it now. For whatever reason I could not post here after June (Chrome problem, maybe?). I couldn't even contact support. I just stopped by to read everyone's lists. What a wonderful surprise that I could post!

I love those book covers!

Edited by Shawneinfl
  • Like 6

Happy New Year to all my BaW friends!

I was in bed about ten last night--such an exciting life I lead! Fireworks are illegal here but that does not stop people from shooting them off.  The rain dampened the noise last night. Or perhaps people will move their merriment to tonight with a drier forecast.  For whatever reason, I slept blissfully through the potential racket.

We have more family stuff today.  Some of clever Kathy's Cranberry Icebox cookies are in the oven to carry along with us.  (I froze a portion of dough for an occasion like this.)  I'm also bringing the crab dip.

I am quite captivated by Per Petterson's novel To Siberia--even as I wait for the Nazis to invade Denmark. 

From the Graywolf Press website:

That winter everything turns into ice. There is snow in the streets, snow on the fields and the ice lies shining on the frozen sea right out to the small islands called Hirsholmene when the wind blows low from the north and sweeps aside everything in its way.

I was fourteen and a half when the Germans came. On that 9th April we woke to the roar of aeroplanes swooping so low over the roofs of the town that we could see the black iron crosses painted on the underside of their wings when we leaned out of the windows and looked up. The Danish warship Peder Skram was anchored in the roads outside the harbour, but it merely lay there silently and did not fire a single shot.

In this exquisite novel, a young woman looks back with muted nostalgia on the harsh realities of her childhood and the consequences of her choices.

Her distant and difficult parents provide little comfort of any kind, but their absence allows her a deep and unshakeable bond with her beloved brother. She and Jesper vowed together that they would leave Denmark one day he longed for warm Morocco, but she always dreamt of Siberia, for its skies that were cold and clear, where it was easy to breathe and easy to see for long distances. A great journey to Siberia eludes her, but she winds her way toward adulthood with its attendant sexuality and independence and she longs to protect Jesper as he takes greater and greater risks resisting the Nazi occupation of Denmark.

With spare, mesmerizing prose, Petterson explores a life that is outwardly barren but sharply etched, charged with meaning.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 10

Some of clever Kathy's Cranberry Icebox cookies are in the oven to carry along with us.  (I froze a portion of dough for an occasion like this.)  

I am quite captivated by Per Petterson's novel To Siberia--even as I wait for the Nazis to invade Denmark. 

I'm glad you enjoyed them. The dough takes some work with chopping cranberries, rolling into logs, and refrigerating, but the end result is worth it.

Let us know what you think when you finish To Siberia. I enjoyed Out Stealing Horses, but haven't looked into any of his other novels.

• Like 7

Some of clever Kathy's Cranberry Icebox cookies are in the oven to carry along with us.  (I froze a portion of dough for an occasion like this.)  

I'm glad you enjoyed them. The dough takes some work with chopping cranberries, rolling into logs, and refrigerating, but the end result is worth it.

Let us know what you think when you finish To Siberia. I enjoyed Out Stealing Horses, but haven't looked into any of his other novels.

• Like 3

Knock me over with a feather; my library has 5 different titles by Per Petterson in Dutch translation!

To Siberia is going on my reading list.

Edited by Tress
  • Like 8

I just checked, my library has two copies by Per Petterson -  I just put Out Stealing Horses on hold. Thanks again group for putting one more author on my horizon. I'm just going to have to get really healthy this year so I can live long enough to read all these books on my tbr pile. :lol:

• Like 10

Welcome Segway. These are the best threads on WTM, imo. 

I just realized that I forgot to enter the dates of my 2015 books on Goodreads so it looks like I only read 19 books. Think I'll just leave it. Too much bother to enter a date. 

I too went to bed at a nice early time. I wanted nothing more than to snuggle with my little one while he slept and my Kindle in my hand. Also, no better way to wake up to the new year then with a little person's arm wrapped around your neck and a little foot slung over your hip.  :001_smile:

I have picked The Golem and the Jinni back up. I had set it aside for several months, and found myself wondering about the characters and how things end. So started it back up and now I'm enjoying it again.

Isn't it funny how sometimes a book needs to breath for a bit like a good wine? 

• Like 12

I am trying to finish The Girl on the Train. I started it on audio cds last year which were borrowed from the library; then I had to return them before I finished. Now I have borrowed the regular book but a couple months have gone by and I'm trying to backtrack to the place where I can remember the storyline. I saw that it is going to be a movie in 2016 so I want to go ahead and finish this one.

• Like 9

This week:

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

I really enjoyed this book -- but found myself afterward mulling over how a very few racist throwaways (by which I mean not affecting the plot) dull my enjoyment. 

In order read :
Blackout/All Clear
Ancillary Justice
Uprooted
Goblin Emperor

I was planning to read 1 'classic'/month -- but failed that goal.  I got to 6 ... but only if I am very, very liberal with my definition of classic

• Like 10

I actually read two books this year (3 cheers for me) in between tons of on-line video and ed stuff.

To Kill a Mockinbird, which, of course, is all that it is. Ds 15 is reading/ writing an essay on it for next week and, oddly enough, is in a farce for our Jan Festival of One Act Plays where he plays a wannabe lawyer and one of his lines is, "I consider myself a modern-day Atticus Finch." 

And Room. It rang true. It was touching and poignant and beautiful. As an MFT, I super loved the ending. It also was a good look at all of the "Room(s)" by which we define and limit ourselves and that we must often risk what we love most to be free. Still pondering it. 

• Like 8

Hey Laughing Cat and Lisa -- Good to see you.  Please post in the new thread started this morning.  Thanks! 

ETA - didn't want your posts  to get lost so copied over to the new thread. 

:)

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

Yeah, I know we started a new thread, but I finished these in 2015!  I just haven't been online, as I had a thyrodectomy in mid-December, and before I hit my two week recovery mark, my dad died.  Didn't quite hit 52 books in 52 weeks, but I'm excited to start over.

45. "Stories and Memories of The Maurice ____ and June ____ Family" by my aunt.  493 pages of my aunt's memories of her parents and siblings, as interpreted through her lens of undiagnosed probably NPD and definitely OCD.  I got it as a Christmas gift from my dad a week before he died, and it came with a disclaimer letter from my dad, warning us that while the events were real, her memories of how they went down don't necessarily match those of her siblings.  I could see what he meant, as I was alive and present for a small handful of the latest events.  Her version tends to have her as the hero, or only one present, like one story where she was the only one who cared enough to travel to help their brother pack when he had to move suddenly.  Uh, okay.  I was ten, and my dad and I went, too.  Actually rode in her car with her, where I was trapped in the back seat with her four year old for nine hours.  So, it was interesting both as a history and as a study in psychology!

44. "The Thyroid Diet Revolution" by Mary J. Shomon.

43.  "Rising Strong" by Brene Brown.  

42. "The Cokeville Miracle" by Hartt and Judene Wixom. (LDS)

41. "The New Testament." (KJV)

40. "The Book of Mormon" (LDS).

39. "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Ezra Taft Benson" (LDS).

38. "The United States Enters the World Stage: from Alaska Purchase through World War I" and "The United States in World War II" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.  Really need to get these.  But, wahoo!  I went to the quarterly library book sale Wednesday, and scored five of the 23 volumes, and even better:  I was there the last hour when they changed the price from $1.00 a book to $5.00 a bag!

37. "Indians, Cowboys, and Farmers and the Battle for the Great Plains" and "The Rise of Industry" by Christopher and

James Lincoln Collier.

36. "Slavery and the Coming of the Civil War" and "The Civil War" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

35. "The American Revolution" and "Hispanic America, Texas, and the Mexican War" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

34. "Pilgrims and Puritans" and "The French and Indian War" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

33.  "Flygirl" by Sherri L. Smith.

32. "mockingbird" by Kathryn Erskine.

31. "The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Elizabeth Verdick & Elizabeth Reeve, M.D.

30. "Asperger's and Girls" by Tony Attwood.

29.  "A Veiled Antiquity" by Rett MacPherson.

28. "As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust" by Alan Bradley.

27. "Counting by 7s" by Holly Goldberg Sloan.

26. "Temple Theology: An Introduction" by Margaret Barker.

25. "Walking With the Women of the New Testament" by Heather Farrell (LDS). 

24. "Cub Scout BEAR Handbook."

23. "How to Read Literature Like  a Professor for Kids" by Thomas C. Foster.

22.  "Women and the Priesthood" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

21. "No More Meltdowns" by Jed Baker, Ph.D. 

20. "Amazed by Grace" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

19. "Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace" by Sarah Mackenzie.

18. "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport.

17. "Eight Plus One" by Robert Cormier.

16.  "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.

15. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.

14.  "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

13. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. 

12. "My Louisiana Sky" by Kimberly Willis Holt. 

11. "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.  

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  

8. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Broken Things to MendĂ¢â‚¬ by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. Ă¢â‚¬Å“When You Can't Do It AloneĂ¢â‚¬ by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. Ă¢â‚¬Å“What to Do When You Worry Too MuchĂ¢â‚¬ and Ă¢â‚¬Å“What to Do When Your Temper FlaresĂ¢â‚¬ by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.Ă¢â‚¬

5. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Tales of a Female NomadĂ¢â‚¬ by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Heaven is for RealĂ¢â‚¬ by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS)

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 5