Menu

Sewists! How are you doing ?

KatieJ

I finished my projects tonight. I had them all done, but then decided to rework one of them this evening and now I can sleep. I have three things to wrap and then I am officially done . Considering we decided to empty two rooms and get carpet installed this week, I am pleased that I managed to get it all done.

Next up is baby blankets and afghans. One of those babies will probably be here the first of the new year.

I really just want to sit and read a book.😊

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 3

Scrooge opened tonight, so no more costumes to make! Now it's just a matter of repairing everything as we go along.

Show closes Sunday; Monday we get back to normal life and all the things I thought I'd get one for Christmas. First up is simple -- an Ant Man pillow case for dd.

• Like 2

I finished and sent off my scarf for the Red Scarf Project. (They don't get distributed until February but have to be received by mid-December.) I've finished the pajama pants for both of my kids. 

Still to finish:

• Throw pillows to go with the new recliner I'm giving my husband, The fabric I ordered from Spoonflower didn't arrive until today. Once I saw the fabric in person, I decided I really need different sized pillow forms. So, I'll have to head back to JoAnn's and exchange the ones I bought yesterday.
  • Dr. Who-themed fleece throw pillows for my son's girlfriend.The fabric is cut, and these should work up very quickly.
  • Throw pillow for my son. I'm still waiting on the t-shirt I'm using to make this. It was ordered two weeks ago and was supposed to arrive today. I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow. (Apparently, it's the year of throw pillows.)
  • The crocheted throw I've been working on for my daughter. Assuming that I can add four inches a day, I can finish it in time. I'd cross my fingers, but it's hard to crochet like that.

Fortunately, I'm not working from now through Christmas. So, I'll have teeny paychecks for the next couple of weeks, but at least I have time to devote to the remaining projects.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

Scrooge opened tonight, so no more costumes to make! Now it's just a matter of repairing everything as we go along.

Show closes Sunday; Monday we get back to normal life and all the things I thought I'd get one for Christmas. First up is simple -- an Ant Man pillow case for dd.

Details on the Ant Man pillowcase, please. Knowing your sewing prowess, I suspect there is more going on than just cutesy fabric!

I'm finished with projects that were meant to be gifts and can get back to a quilt I'm working on. I cut the pieces for one of the borders this week- 575 pieces from 16 different fabrics. What was I thinking???

Last night dh and I had dinner with a couple we have gotten to know this year.  I made her an appliqué towel with a snowman on it and at the last minute thought it might not be her style. But I went with it knowing she would appreciate it even if she didn't love it. Walked into their house, which is very much open concept, to find that their Christmas decorations are snowman themed! I was so happy- she's going to LOVE the towel.  Snowmen were everywhere and it sounds awful but it was adorable. And our night was an adventure with some pretty snowy and slippery weather so it was a perfect gift. 

• Like 2

I'm not a sewist but had to respond because I think that is the first time I've seen that term. I like it!  It dodges the whole "sewer" issue that makes it sound like you are talking about our wastewater drain lines and I've never been able to use "seamstress" since reading Terry Pratchett.

• Like 3

Other than gift bags, I did not stitch a thing for Christmas this year although I did knit a lacy scarf for a friend.  Glad that one is behind me.  I am still knitting a hat for a grand nephew but decided that it can be an Epiphany present.  I'll get 'er done and then sew something for me!! I bought the Aster blouse pattern from Colette and can't wait to stitch it.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 2

Well, I didn't stitch any gifts, but today is our Nutcracker performance and I had to make magic happen to DS's Prince costume.  He actually is supposed to wear two costumes over the course of the show.  One is the traditional red soldier jacket with black pants, and the other is a fancier white outfit.  He wears the white under the red, and during a 15 second moment the Clara is dancing by herself he dashes off stage, rips off the red, and miraculously presents himself in white.

He's been this same Prince character in 2 years past, but THIS year he's grown a foot.  A literal foot.

We had to abandon the white costume altogether.  I've never made a jacket, and we didn't get costumes until Tuesday.  He couldn't even get the jacket on all the way- the culottes were right at the knee and if he moved, they quickly became shorts.  Which left the red velvet costume.  Which also didn't fit!  I still didn't feel comfortable making a jacket, so instead I removed the sleeves and attached longer ones trimmed out with pleather, and then added a panel to the back so that he would be able to dance without it pulling off.   I also pulled off the dulled buttons and gold ribbons and refreshed everything so it's shiny and bright again.

While I was working on that I set aside a homecoming dress that I'm turning into a lyrical dance competition dress.  It only has 4 layers (2 of chiffon) that need to be shortened by about 3 feet.  And then they want to remove the zipper from the back and turn the closure into a corset with ribbons going back and forth.  They also have this crazy idea that after competition season is over they will pay me to put the linings back into the dress so that she can actually wear it to homecoming.  Next time I say no...

• Like 2

My DC and I all got together and made fleece hats and mittens for a local shelter rather than sewing gifts for ourselves. I did knit the kids some new hats though. And now I am going to attempt my first pair of shoes.

I sew two or three times a month , year, round, with a hat ministry group of folks. Our goal is 4,000 per year. There is never a lack of need or want.

• Like 1

My sewing machine is currently not working. :(

Mine always dies in December. My DH knows what the problem is now and he puts it back together for me. It behaved quite nicely thus year. Maybe it has heard me discussing replacing it. I have had it for over 30'years and I bought it used. I am amazed it still works!

Well, I didn't stitch any gifts, but today is our Nutcracker performance and I had to make magic happen to DS's Prince costume. He actually is supposed to wear two costumes over the course of the show. One is the traditional red soldier jacket with black pants, and the other is a fancier white outfit. He wears the white under the red, and during a 15 second moment the Clara is dancing by herself he dashes off stage, rips off the red, and miraculously presents himself in white.

He's been this same Prince character in 2 years past, but THIS year he's grown a foot. A literal foot.

We had to abandon the white costume altogether. I've never made a jacket, and we didn't get costumes until Tuesday. He couldn't even get the jacket on all the way- the culottes were right at the knee and if he moved, they quickly became shorts. Which left the red velvet costume. Which also didn't fit! I still didn't feel comfortable making a jacket, so instead I removed the sleeves and attached longer ones trimmed out with pleather, and then added a panel to the back so that he would be able to dance without it pulling off. I also pulled off the dulled buttons and gold ribbons and refreshed everything so it's shiny and bright again.

While I was working on that I set aside a homecoming dress that I'm turning into a lyrical dance competition dress. It only has 4 layers (2 of chiffon) that need to be shortened by about 3 feet. And then they want to remove the zipper from the back and turn the closure into a corset with ribbons going back and forth. They also have this crazy idea that after competition season is over they will pay me to put the linings back into the dress so that she can actually wear it to homecoming. Next time I say no...

I am impressed! Wow.

I'm not a sewist but had to respond because I think that is the first time I've seen that term. I like it! It dodges the whole "sewer" issue that makes it sound like you are talking about our wastewater drain lines and I've never been able to use "seamstress" since reading Terry Pratchett.

It is a relatively new term, and I can' t remember where I first heard it. Nancy Zieman talked about it in her biography.

Well, I didn't stitch any gifts, but today is our Nutcracker performance and I had to make magic happen to DS's Prince costume.  He actually is supposed to wear two costumes over the course of the show.  One is the traditional red soldier jacket with black pants, and the other is a fancier white outfit.  He wears the white under the red, and during a 15 second moment the Clara is dancing by herself he dashes off stage, rips off the red, and miraculously presents himself in white.

He's been this same Prince character in 2 years past, but THIS year he's grown a foot.  A literal foot.

We had to abandon the white costume altogether.  I've never made a jacket, and we didn't get costumes until Tuesday.  He couldn't even get the jacket on all the way- the culottes were right at the knee and if he moved, they quickly became shorts.  Which left the red velvet costume.  Which also didn't fit!  I still didn't feel comfortable making a jacket, so instead I removed the sleeves and attached longer ones trimmed out with pleather, and then added a panel to the back so that he would be able to dance without it pulling off.   I also pulled off the dulled buttons and gold ribbons and refreshed everything so it's shiny and bright again.

While I was working on that I set aside a homecoming dress that I'm turning into a lyrical dance competition dress.  It only has 4 layers (2 of chiffon) that need to be shortened by about 3 feet.  And then they want to remove the zipper from the back and turn the closure into a corset with ribbons going back and forth.  They also have this crazy idea that after competition season is over they will pay me to put the linings back into the dress so that she can actually wear it to homecoming.  Next time I say no...

I have such respect of those of you who can costume. I never learned garment sewing but since I'm a quilter I was always asked to help costuming when the kids did theater. I know my limitations- I'm not talented enough to costume. Nowhere near.   

• Like 1

I just bought myself a proper dress form.  I used to use a DIY duct tape form but it wasn't looking so good and I decided to splurge.  It's pretty awesome!  I finished a Dr Who apron for my younger daughter (with some gorgeous Dr Who/Van Gogh Starry night fabric) and I finished an awesome bodice for my older daughter's ballroom dress and have the chiffon to start work on the skirt. 

I know my stepfather wants a leather vest for Christmas and I'd like to make him one, but I'm not sure where to get leather from.  I think I'll do a muslin for him and fit him on Christmas  (he's barrel-chested and I'm nervous to ruin expensive leather) and send him the vest in January after talking to him about what he specifically wants. 

• Like 1

I haven't been sewing for a long time and really want to get back into it. I've been mulling some plans for next year. Perhaps I should set a goal like I do with books I want to read.

Do you like audio books? I often listen to books while I'm crocheting. I do have to sometimes pause the book while I read a more difficult instruction or count rows otherwise I'll miss part of the story, but at least I get to "read" books by doing it that way.

I have such respect of those of you who can costume. I never learned garment sewing but since I'm a quilter I was always asked to help costuming when the kids did theater. I know my limitations- I'm not talented enough to costume. Nowhere near.   

I have a friend whose daughter does Irish dancing. When she found out I sew she told me how expensive the costumes are and told me she'd be happy to pay me if I could make them for her at a lower price than her usual sources. When I looked into what's involved I was floored. I'm good at sewing, but those costumes are way above my pay grade. I declined, and also told her there's a reason those costumes are so expensive and it has nothing to do with greed.

I just bought myself a proper dress form.  I used to use a DIY duct tape form but it wasn't looking so good and I decided to splurge.  It's pretty awesome! 

I desperately want a dress form but a decent one isn't cheap. I keep hearing about people who found a good one on sale or at a thrift shop or whatever. I haven't yet been lucky enough for that. Do you mind saying where you got yours? Does anyone know of an online source for reasonably priced adjustable forms?

• Like 3

I'm all done with kids pajamas/nightgowns. I have two pillowcases to finish and then two fleece blankets, which are easy--two layers of fleece and serge around the edges.

ETA: I've been loving listening to audiobooks while I sew. Much nicer than listening to a TV show I can't really watch.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 1

Lady Florida. I usually crochet evenings , weekends while DH watches tv. I have a small project going always that I take with when we go to our kiddoes houses or pretty much unless I'm sewing, I'm crocheting. I am babysitting today and will get some crochet done during nap time.

Ah, audio books are just kind of wierd for me but maybe I need to try them again.

• Like 1

I have a friend whose daughter does Irish dancing. When she found out I sew she told me how expensive the costumes are and told me she'd be happy to pay me if I could make them for her at a lower price than her usual sources. When I looked into what's involved I was floored. I'm good at sewing, but those costumes are way above my pay grade. I declined, and also told her there's a reason those costumes are so expensive and it has nothing to do with greed.

I desperately want a dress form but a decent one isn't cheap. I keep hearing about people who found a good one on sale or at a thrift shop or whatever. I haven't yet been lucky enough for that. Do you mind saying where you got yours? Does anyone know of an online source for reasonably priced adjustable forms?

Oh my gosh, yes.  This dress I'm doing started out as a different dress altogether.  They'd bought one off a resale site and it wasn't quite what they wanted so they asked if I could add some embellishment.  I said I could, but they would have to wait until I was done with a different project.

THEN they went shopping and found this completely different dress and immediately started thinking of what could be done to it.   It wouldn't have been a problem to just shorten the dress, though 4 hems are making me lose my mind.   But as this girl was trying the dress on for me the first time, we couldn't even get the zipper all the way up in the back.  Mom says "I guess she'll have to lose a few pounds before she needs the dress" followed very closely by "we've never spent so much on a dress, so I really hope she can use it for more than just one competition season."   

I should have walked away then.

I had decided that I could take some of the lining and expand the bust area in a discreet way, and when I mentioned it to the mom, that's when she sprung the corset on me. If I hadn't already cut off all the linings I would have just handed the dress back.  Now I'm stuck with it, and I hope the girl likes the finished product.  And I hope mom doesn't freak out when I tell her how many hours I've put in and what my usual rate is. 

If I had a dress form this would be WAY easier too, so in this next year I've decided I have to have one, even though I really don't have space to store it when I'm not using it. 

• Like 2

I was originally going to get a Dritz or Singer adjustable dress form but I kept reading reviews that they are plastic and flimsy and the gap formed between the smaller and larger sizes is awkward and ugly. I decided to go ahead and splurge on a more professional type -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049J18YK/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g201_i4_sh

I also bought a padding system http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Fit-Dress-Forms-PFS0134L/dp/B00CZDK69K/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VG4998AGZXQBZY21H79 to allow it to work for both my girls and my wife and I.

The dress form is definitely sturdy and so far works great. It even came with an arm. If you don't have a spare $200, I'd do a duct tape form. I had one for three years and used it enough that I knew a proper one would be a good investment.

I just bought myself a proper dress form. I used to use a DIY duct tape form but it wasn't looking so good and I decided to splurge. It's pretty awesome! I finished a Dr Who apron for my younger daughter (with some gorgeous Dr Who/Van Gogh Starry night fabric) and I finished an awesome bodice for my older daughter's ballroom dress and have the chiffon to start work on the skirt.

I know my stepfather wants a leather vest for Christmas and I'd like to make him one, but I'm not sure where to get leather from. I think I'll do a muslin for him and fit him on Christmas (he's barrel-chested and I'm nervous to ruin expensive leather) and send him the vest in January after talking to him about what he specifically wants.

Some people on a purse sewing FB group (Swoon) have gotten lovely leather scraps from upholstery places, especially car upholsterers. I am not looking for leather, so I didn't pay attention to the details, but the group is searchable if you join. :)

I was originally going to get a Dritz or Singer adjustable dress form but I kept reading reviews that they are plastic and flimsy and the gap formed between the smaller and larger sizes is awkward and ugly. I decided to go ahead and splurge on a more professional type -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049J18YK/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g201_i4_sh

I also bought a padding system http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Fit-Dress-Forms-PFS0134L/dp/B00CZDK69K/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VG4998AGZXQBZY21H79 to allow it to work for both my girls and my wife and I.

The dress form is definitely sturdy and so far works great. It even came with an arm. If you don't have a spare $200, I'd do a duct tape form. I had one for three years and used it enough that I knew a proper one would be a good investment.

Thanks. I know the plastic ones aren't great. I might just have to put some money aside and splurge.

Well, hopefully I will get my scissors back from the sharpener tomorrow (or is that today?) and then get to work on three pajama sets (pants and collared shirt) for DS. His Christmas Eve gift will be mighty sparse without at least one set.

Progress!

I made it back to JoAnn's this morning and exchanged the pillow forms for a couple of big bags of fiberfill, since it turns out the designs on the fabric I special ordered for my husband's pillows is not remotely the same size as any of the standard pillow forms. Once he leaves for work on Monday morning, I can do the actual sewing and stuffing.

I finished the Dr. Who fleece throw pillows for my son's girlfriend.

The tap dance-themed t-shirt I needed for my son's throw pillow finally arrived this afternoon! He was out for much of the day, so I managed to do most of the pillow. All that's left is closing the gap through which I stuffed it.

I didn't touch the crocheted throw. However, I decided that one potentially unfinished project is better than three or four. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to focus on the crocheting now that the other items are mostly done.

• Like 2

I only made one project for Christmas.  DD is getting a cash register and I'm making a felt grocery set to go with it (tote bag, milk jug, several cans, butter, & apple).  I finished yesterday!  It was supposed to have a carton of eggs as well, but I'm skipping it because the eggs were a pain.  :blush:

Right now I'm trying to finish an afghan so I can join another aghan crochet-along on Ravelry without guilt for starting yet another afghan (I have 4 in progress at the moment).

• Like 2

I only made one project for Christmas.  DD is getting a cash register and I'm making a felt grocery set to go with it (tote bag, milk jug, several cans, butter, & apple).  I finished yesterday!  It was supposed to have a carton of eggs as well, but I'm skipping it because the eggs were a pain.   :blush:

Right now I'm trying to finish an afghan so I can join another aghan crochet-along on Ravelry without guilt for starting yet another afghan (I have 4 in progress at the moment).

What a great idea! Did you use regular felt from a craft store or wool felt?  I might have to copy your idea for my grands. 

What a great idea! Did you use regular felt from a craft store or wool felt?  I might have to copy your idea for my grands. 

Craft store felt...The wool is nicer, but much pricier.  I used this pattern, but she has tons of other cute patterns!  https://www.etsy.com/listing/62646350/groceries-pdf-felt-food-pattern-milk?ref=shop_home_active_12

• Like 1

The brand new sewing machine my dh got me for Christmas and gave to me early so I could use it to finish gifts is having issues with the needle alignment. I have to send it back for a replacement, so I'm now back on the borrowed machine and way behind on my planned projects. So far behind that I decided to pull an all-nighter last night to sew.

I've finished:

-An appliquéd romper upcycled from a sweater for my youngest.

-3 sets of pajama pants for the three older kids.

-A spotted stegosaurus bathrobe for my older son (finally! Never again! Working with all those thicknesses of terry cloth was a nightmare!)

-Oh, and the shrug I wore to a wedding a couple weeks ago.

Still to complete:

-Coordinating full-body pjs for the little one, just needs snaps and buttons sewn on.

-Cute tops for the girls, about 3/4 done.

-4 Giant floor pillows for the kids, about 1/4 to 1/2 done.

Really wanted to get done, but I do need sleep before Christmas:

-3 pj tops for three older kids.

-pants to go with the girls' tops.

I just started. I'm making hooded towels for the kids and the little girls' dolls. I have one child's appliqued and sewn together. The doll hoods are appliqued. I don't have Christmas PJ fabric. The quilt shop had theirs on sale 40% off this weekend, but when I went on Monday, the sale was over. Um. Okay. So I was peeved and didn't buy any. Joann had nothing worth poking a needle through left today, so PJs may not happen. 

I got a new sewing machine today!  Well, new to me.  I'm fairly certain it's older than the one I traded in, lol!  But it does everything my old machine did, plus a couple extra stitches, and it only cost me $30, and the guy let me keep the presser feet from my old machine (and checked to make sure they would work on the new one).  YAY!

I already told the girls that the fairy rag dolls I was going to make them would not be happening in time for Christmas, so I don't have that deadline looming.  DD#1's birthday is in late January, and I should be able to finish the dolls by then.

• Like 1

I finished my projects tonight. I had them all done, but then decided to rework one of them this evening and now I can sleep. I have three things to wrap and then I am officially done . Considering we decided to empty two rooms and get carpet installed this week, I am pleased that I managed to get it all done.

Next up is baby blankets and afghans. One of those babies will probably be here the first of the new year.

The fabric is folded and waiting to be washed... That's not a good sign, is it?  But I always get it done.  Sometimes at 5AM on Christmas morning, but always done. ;)

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/scrappy-stockings/75059

Middle and oldest daughters really wanted us all to have new, matching stockings for us and their significant others (7 people total.) I picked out the pattern, they picked out the fabrics, my mom and SIL and niece came to our standing monthly sewing day to help get us through a lot of it, and the older two finished up a couple of days ago. We bought fabric to make one for youngest's future significant other which we'll get done this Christmas Break. They're adorable but on the smaller side so they're stuffed full of treats for our Christmas Book Flood and treats (Icelandic tradition) on Christmas Eve. I'd post a picture of them finished but I'm having technical troubles.

• Like 3

Aaaaaand . .  . done!

As of early this afternoon, I have finished all of my fiber-type projects:

• PJ pants for my daughter
  • PJ pants for my son
  • the dreaded crocheted throw
  • the pillows for my son't girlfriend (who received them yesterday and loved them so much that she re-did the rest of her bedding to match)
  • the tap dance-themed throw pillow for my son
  • the two pillows to go on the new recliner I bought for my husband
  • Bonus: I even went ahead and made the PJ pants for my husband that I had more or less decided I wouldn't have time to do.

This is, I believe, a record. Usually, as of the time we leave for church on Christmas eve, I still have "just a few things to finish up before I go to bed." I'm especially elated that well over half of the gifts are also already wrapped and ready to tuck under the tree tomorrow night. (For context: Usually, my husband and I end up marathoning that job after the kids retire on Christmas eve.)

Whew!

My daughter arrives from NYC in just a couple of hours. And, since my office (in which I also do most of the crafting) is also the guest room, I very much wanted to be as done as possible before she got here. I didn't honestly expect to be this far along, though. 

• Like 3

Way to go, Jenny!!!!   You really got a lot done in a short amount of time!

I'm glad I scaled back my usual Christmas sewing. I woke up yesterday feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Still feel pretty wiped out today but since I made few items and mailed those out last week, I had no last minute stress. Yippee!!

I am enjoying reading about all these projects! I did not sew anything for Christmas this year, which I admit was pretty nice.  I did do a tiny bit of sewing for our Christmas program.  I'm also hand-sewing an Anna dress (from "Frozen") for my daughter out of old tee shirt fabrics....I drafted the pattern myself and came up with the design, and used a couching technique to make the pretty pattern on the front. (I'm using Alabama Chanin techniques.) It's going to look so cute when it's done!  But...not for Christmas. Maybe  for her birthday in January--or maybe for no reason at all!

This fall I did a bunch of baby-hat knitting, trying to use up yarn, and also b/c I love knitting baby hats--they are so cute, and they go so fast!  I'm donating them to a local charity.  

Next year I'm going to do my first full-sized quilt (hand-quilting) out of gathered and found fabrics with various meanings and origins--for my daughter. 

• Like 1