Menu

4 yo almost done with K math

So, what do we do next?

DD4 is almost through book B of Singapore K Essentials. And she LOVES her math book. I don't have a lot of extra time (actually patience) to do math games with DS1 around (he'll destroy them), so I'm looking for workbook ideas for DD.

I already have MM1 PDFs from DS6, but I don't know that I want to advance her or just do something parellel.

I don't personally care what she does, but she DEMANDS schoolwork and LOVES math, so she'll be greatly disappointed if I have nothing for her after Christmas break.

Suggestions? I could just try MM1 at a slower pace and stop if it's too much. I'd love a fun workbook though.

What really gets me is that she JUST turned 4 in Oct and would not even be in Prek yet in a public school. She's just too smart! ;)

Go with MM1. MM1A is actually very simplistic and straightforward if I recall it is just addition and subtraction with-in 10, and then addition and subtraction facts. MM1B gets into place value and other topics like time, etc.

You can easily mix and match chapters so that you don't get caught up in just ONE topic for too long. You can easily do many of the chapters from B-book concurrently with the chapters from A book.

What I did (and this was purely accidental) was get horizons K (got at a curriculum sale), and he did a page or two at a time.  I really didn't know what I was doing at the time.  I just read the directions and he did it.  It's very colorful. 

I thought it was a lot of information for a Ker.  By the end of the year, they learned about calendar, clocks and if I remember correctly how to add double digits. 

Other workbook type that would work is Mathematical Reasoning (very colorful) from the critical thinking company or Kumon books. 

Of course, I recommend the discovery approach, but that is not what you are asking and judging from your siggie you look a little busy.  ;) 

Hth. 

Some suggestions for a doable workbooks:

Kumon! Not all of them are strictly academic either, many are great for hand-eye coordination, pencil handling, etc...We have a ton of them and my son loves them all.

I'm also looking into the Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 and beginning 2 books from The Critical Thinking Company.

While Kumon has colorful illustrations, MR is full color.

• Like 1

Another vote for MM1.  my younger ds started it in K.  MM1A can be done in K easily with some kids I think.  He's probably going to finish MM1B by the end of January and it's all flowed very well for him.  The clock (to the nearest half hour I think), money (pennies, nickels, dimes and a bit of quarters) and shapes/measurement chapters are also very simple.  Clock and money would probably be fine especially if your little guy can skip count by 5s and 1os.  The only chapter I may hesitate to use for a four year old might be the place value one, and if that's the case, the more advanced chapter in adition that covers addition with regrouping but ymmv, right?

Edited by Tawlas

I have a kid who loves math also. I would move on to the next Singapore book but add in Miquon and the Singapore Challenging Word Problems for grade 1. A child who loves math should be given math at an appropriately challenging level.

ETA: Your daughter will surpass your son soon. Don't slow her down to protect his ego. Now might be the time to start laying the groundwork for explaining that people have different abilities. I would start casually mentioning it now. Her success is not your son's failure. That takes a long to learn.

Edited by hellen

One more suggestion is Anno's Math Games.  It provides a strong foundation in the various skills needed for mathematics: patterns, part-to-whole, detail work, graphing..you don't have to do anything more than read through the book together, although we did make paper copies of the Tangram shapes (different than usual tangram) to do work alongside the book.

Pulling it out about once a week it took us 6 months or so to go through the first book.  It is easy enough for a 4yo, but sophisticated enough to be pulled out periodically through elementary math.

My k'er is a math workbook loving gal she has went through all of MiF k, half of MEP R, a chunk of Miquon(and Gattegno) and now is doing Horizons K. I moved her onto MiF and MEP 1 for awhile but she prefers to keep with her fun math so we are just doing multiple k programs. We like all of them for different reasons, I have MM1 but it is not what I'd call fun at any level, it is more get it done type math. As far as workbooks go I'd try Singapore 1 and see how she does, otherwise you can try MiF which is similar. I think MEP is pretty fabulous too if your looking for more parallel type work- it works different skills and although some that we've done in there has been a definite repeat plenty has been new.

Edited by soror

We went on to Singapore Primary Maths but did 1A over a year.  It worked really well.

This is what we did with all three kids. It worked well. I never worry about what level the math book is, we just keep going and go at the pace the kid needs. With Singapore, 1A starts doing memorization of addition and subtraction facts and then gets into adding above 10. I found my kids would slow down in those chapters and we would sit there for awhile and add in math games. For some reason Singapore also puts the more "fun" stuff at the end of each book (shapes, measurement, patterns). So in the early levels I would sometimes do the chapters out of order so that they could be working on math facts and also shapes or some other easier topic. 

• Like 1

I don't personally care what she does, but she DEMANDS schoolwork and LOVES math, so she'll be greatly disappointed if I have nothing for her after Christmas break.

Suggestions? I could just try MM1 at a slower pace and stop if it's too much. I'd love a fun workbook though.

What really gets me is that she JUST turned 4 in Oct and would not even be in Prek yet in a public school. She's just too smart! ;)

I'd just keep going. She loves it, so why not? FTR, here in NY she would be in PreK this year - cut-off is December 1st, if that makes you feel any better.

I should definitely look into Miquon again. I did the orange book with DS6, and we still use the rods without the books. Maybe a mix of miquon and MM1.

Mathematical Reasoning looks nice, but it's be the most expensive curriculum I've purchased!

Thanks y'all!

Mathematical Reasoning is fine if you just want a glossy (and overly expensive) activity book, but not essential.

MEP and Miquon will up the *thinking* and understanding parts of the equation to a far greater degree (but are both teacher intensive). 

We went on to PM1 at 4. I didn't love Earlybird, but PM1 was fine for my math loving 4 year old.

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My four year old found Singapore 1 a little too easy, but Mep 1 has been more interesting to him. Miquon is also a hit but he does that purely by discovery. Life of Fred has probably been the best to get him to actually think about math.

If your daughter is self motivated Miquon could be the least teacher intensive option that may still challenge her.