Menu

Does anyone buy their older boys tools for Christmas?

Prairie~Phlox

Last year, I bought our boys tool bags like this: http://m.sears.com/stanley-38-pc-homeowners-tools-set-in-bag/p-010W006403980001PI was trying to think of something to get them this year & was thinking maybe a socket set like this: http://m.sears.com/craftsman-58-piece-mechanics-tool-set-with-storage/p-00938058000P

I would rather start giving them tools than things like video games or electronics. I usually keep it under $50. They are 14 1/2 & 16. What do you think? Anyone else do this? Any other suggestions on tools to get started on? I plan to ask dh, but he's still sleeping.

Edited by Prairie~Phlox

Tools are an excellent gift for teen boys.  If they have particular interests (woodworking or auto mechanics) you might gear the tools in that direction (or get them a kit to get started in a new hobby).  My teen son has been getting tools for years now.

• Like 2

I did small tools only as stocking stuffers for my son that didn't have any interest, and tools as a main gift for my son whose interests run along those lines.

One item that's been very handy for use with electronics and fixing glasses has been a jewelers precision screwdriver set. 

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-039-Jewelers-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B00002X29G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449316310&sr=8-2&keywords=jewelry+stanley+screwdriver

• Like 2

My dad gave me tools for Christmas from the late teen on to the present and I am a girl. I was the only person with a GIANT pipe wrench in my first apartment complex. I think filling a toolbox over time with good quality tools is like the "hope chest" of old. Great idea. I particularly like the previous post mentioning precision screwdriver set as a stocking stuffer. I have used mine so many times to tighten glasses, open battery compartments, etc.

• Like 1

Of course. And girls. Our boys get cooking gear. The cast iron griddles were very popular. For college graduation, my boys get a sewing machine, too, although I have to admit that the sewing machines are industrial strength ones that can do sails and leather and canvas, not the dressmakers machines my sisters and I were given. Lol my sisters borrow them all the time.

The Make site has some fun little electronics kits for those who aren,t as interested in cars or woodworking.

Nan

Of course. And girls. Our boys get cooking gear. The cast iron griddles were very popular. For college graduation, my boys get a sewing machine, too, although I have to admit that the sewing machines are industrial strength ones that can do sails and leather and canvas, not the dressmakers machines my sisters and I were given. Lol my sisters borrow them all the time.

The Make site has some fun little electronics kits for those who aren,t as interested in cars or woodworking.

Nan

My son who is getting tools is also getting a S'mores maker. (Yes- I know they are silly, but that's ok.) My youngest son is getting a monogrammed apron, so we have tools and cooking covered- as long as we want to be neat with S'mores.  

The south is serious about monograms.  If it holds still, we will put a name on it!

• Like 1