Menu

That moment when get an email from a friend you haven't heard from in years...

PrincessMommy

and you realize it's just a MLM offer for something that has "changed their life."

Ugh.

Makes me sad and mad at the same time. 

I've heard from other people that this person was "angry" when I became Orthodox.  She never spoke to me about it and this kind of suprised me becasue:  We hadn't been close for many years.  Really has very little time for me otherwise.  Moved away, which I heard about from mutual friends.  When she comes into town she gets together with her "friends"...

Okay no biggy.  We're not that close anymore. 

Except when she wants something from me.

We used to be pretty good friends in a former life.  I'd love to reconnect as *real* frends.. but that's not a friend.

rant off.

(I wanted to rant about it on FB as I'm not friends with her there..but we have several mutual friends so I chicked out). 

• Like 6

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Sorry.  That can be painful and frustrating.  If you wish to try and repair the friendship, this might be a good opportunity to do so.  Contact her and ask how she is doing.  Mention you saw the message and aren't really interested but wanted to reconnect.  Maybe she can open up to you and you two can clear the air.  Maybe she doesn't know how.

Or she is a real jerk, you are better off without her, and just ignore the stupid message.  

Either way, good luck.

• Like 1

Ugh. I hate that, too. A long-lost friend from my childhood found me on FB and, at first, I thought she was genuinely pleased to find me again. We had writing in common and we talked a little bit about that, but lo and behold, in the end she really just wanted to sell me her blog. Of course, she really would have liked to just give me her blog, but she had to pay her cousin who made her header and the domain costs money, too, soooooo, you know. Low rate, just 'specially for me. *rolleyes* She totally disappeared after I said I had no need for it.

Whatevs.

• Like 4

That's annoying. I got a FB friend request from the older sister of one of my high school friends a few weeks ago. We weren't close, but she was fun to hang out with when we were at my friend's house. Then after a couple of weeks I got an invitation to her MLM Facebook "party." Yay (sarcasm).

My first instinct is to agree with the others and say she's just trying to sell you stuff.

But, maybe, the MLM thing seems, to her, like a neutral topic to open with?

Maybe say no thanks to the MLM and ask how she's doing and see how it goes?

It wasn't a personal email just to me.  At first I thought it was a Holiday family newsletter sent out to all her friends but quickly I realized it was a sales pitch. 

Ugh. That's happened to me. My childhood best friend found me on fb and asked if she could call to catch up. I was thrilled. She wanted me to invest in some business venture. I declined and tried to continue catching up but she wasn't interested. I havent heard from her since and that was a few years ago.

She also homeschools and I think might even post on here but I don't know for sure.

Edited by 8circles

was she hacked?  (in which case everyone whose email in listed in her account would get that mlm.)

or are you sure it was actually directed at you because she's angry you're now orthodox?  (I sympathsize - I had similar with my bff from high school.)

Ugh. That's happened to me. My childhood best friend found me on fb and asked if she could call to catch up. I was thrilled. She wanted me to invest in some business venture. I declined and tried to continue catching up but she wasn't interested. I havent heard from her since and that was a few years ago.

She also homeschools and I think might even post on here but I don't know for sure.

That made me sad to read your experience.  :crying:

• Like 1

was she hacked?  (in which case everyone whose email in listed in her account would get that mlm.)

or are you sure it was actually directed at you because she's angry you're now orthodox?  (I sympathsize - I had similar with my bff from high school.)

No,she wasn't hacked.  I did click on the link just to make sure it was an MLM and her name was on it.

I doubt it's because I became Orthodox (although that would actually be kind of funny).. it's been 10yrs.

I don't blame you for being hurt. This is why I HATE MLMs. They encourage people to exploit others looking for connection. Just, yuck. I really loved Prepaid Legal. It saved me a LOT of money over the years and I sold it for a short period of time, but I could never, ever pitch my friends, and there it is. If you have a good product, you should trust it to the general public without this sort of marketing.

• Like 4

How disappointing for you. 

Not a childhood best friend, but I've met a couple of people (particularly when getting involved with a new activity or the like) that were so friendly, I was excited at the thought of a developing new friendship. Then the MLM bomb would drop, and the person would move the "friendship" along to the next potential customer. Disappointing.

I've often wondered why the selling person can't see what that behavior looks like to others. I wonder if they can't figure out why people start avoiding them, or if they do realize it and just don't care about collateral damage.

• Like 3

So sorry. I had something similar happen to me. One of my college roommates contacted me after years of silence on her part to basically solicit my contributions to the class fund for our reunion. I know on one level that she was supposed to contact everyone as part of the job of being reunion chair or whatever she was, but it still felt sad to me. I think it bothered me more because the email was worded sort of like a personal letter to me and then it turned into a solicitation. If it had just been a copy of a mass email to everyone in the class, I wouldn't have minded so much. 

• Like 1

How disappointing for you. 

Not a childhood best friend, but I've met a couple of people (particularly when getting involved with a new activity or the like) that were so friendly, I was excited at the thought of a developing new friendship. Then the MLM bomb would drop, and the person would move the "friendship" along to the next potential customer. Disappointing.

I've often wondered why the selling person can't see what that behavior looks like to others. I wonder if they can't figure out why people start avoiding them, or if they do realize it and just don't care about collateral damage.

Most of my MLM friends are not crazy. They do it for the product discounts or whatever, but they aren't crazy pushy. 

Then there are the True Believers. They honestly believe they are on the road to riches and they want to take everyone along with them. They truly dont understand why everyone isn't hopping right on their bandwagon. They have zero insight into their own behavior, and very little perspective or empathy for their marks. 

This happened to me this year.  Friend from CA who I knew but didn't know well.  She and I are FB friends.

She sent me a PM asking for my phone number and started with, "I haven't talked to you in ages.  I would love to catch up."

Then it went on to talk about some MLM that she knows will change my life too.

She contacted me a second time months later asking if I would want a 1 month trial.  Nope, still not interested.

• Like 1