Menu

Simplest Learn to read book/program??

arcara

I'm looking for a simple book/program to teach my 4.5yo how to read. He's already reading CVC words. I don't want something with half-a-dozen components nor do I want to cut things out or apart and I don't want any writing.

Is there anything besides "Teach Your Child to Read..." or "Ordinary Parent's Guide..."? I found those pages so cluttered.

Thanks!!!

There's Progressive Phonics, which is free and available online, or you can print the booklets.  

I have used it with all of my kiddos, but never for the beginning stages of learning how to read.  I use it once he/she is reading CVC words, some blends and has really good phonemic awareness.  It's my "rounding off" phonics curriculum.

I also do not use it independently.  I add in ETC and Spectrum Phonics for practice.  

• Like 3

I used the ordinary parent's guide, Bob books and Starfall when DS was that age.

This year (he is 5) we have been using ABeCeDarian A-1 and we are almost finished with A-2. It's a parent manual and a workbook for A-1 and another set for A-2. There's also a set of readers, but you don't need them at first. So you could try it out and get the readers if you feel it's needed. I like it. It is partially scripted and most of the time it is open and go. No need to prep as long as you have enough letters for spelling.

The program calls for spelling chains every few lessons, more so toward the end of A-1. You could just use dollar tree magnetic letters.  It integrates writing and phonics, which is what I wanted for DS at this point. If that is not something you are looking for 4.5 yr old, then this will not work. The writing portion is a little annoying in that I don't love the way they write some of the letters (the t is terrible). I keep a ruler handy, as for some reason the workbook only provides the bottom solid line and the middle dashed line. DS needs the upper solid line or he tends to write everything under the dashed line. Otherwise, it is working great for us.

DS could read cvc words well when we started this and some sight words, but he wasn't writing at all. So for us this curriculum has been review of early phonics. But it has been good for writing, shape letters and understanding well the sounds of a word (beginning, middle, end).  While using this program we also do sight word drills and games. So his reading speed and understanding have improved dramatically.

In terms of the pages being cluttered...

I felt the same way about OPGTR.  I ended up just writing out the days words/sentences until DS was no longer distracted by all the words on the page. It honestly didn't take that long, a few months. Now we just pull out the book and go. 

I mentioned this to another poster on a different thread, and she said this helped her as well. 

The Reading Lesson is very uncluttered. It goes very slowly, is super simple to use, and would work well for that age.

Yes, my younger daughter liked this and the first few lessons are free on their website. 

http://media.wix.com/ugd/fb055d_79baca3cdee542e48b90da057b17f1fb.pdf

I do have to say, though, that you may want to go back and choose something afterward, like AAS or AAR or even both afterward, if you use The Reading Lesson. It will take them to a mid second grade reading level pretty painlessly (at least for us it was painless), but not everything is covered.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a simple book/program to teach my 4.5yo how to read. He's already reading CVC words. I don't want something with half-a-dozen components nor do I want to cut things out or apart and I don't want any writing.

Is there anything besides "Teach Your Child to Read..." or "Ordinary Parent's Guide..."? I found those pages so cluttered.

Thanks!!!

You might reconsider the "half-a-dozen components" and writing.  Some children learn to read fast enough without those things, but those things can solidify the spellings in their minds so that in 3 years you aren't posting again "Why can't my child spell?"  It's a 2 birds with 1 stone thing. 

Read this blog post.

A very simple way to achieve a middle-of-the-road approach is to use magnet letters on the fridge to teach the actual lessons, using the primer as a teacher's guide rather than a student book. Buy a little composition notebook, and use a highlighter to write each new sound pattern learned, and let him write in (or use stickers to make the words) all the new words he can make with the new sound.  _____'s Word Book.

I know...that's writing and components...but it doesn't have to be "fussy" to be well-rounded.

I really like Dancing Bears Reading if you want a book with maximum learning for minimal fuss.

• Like 1

We just use McGuffey Primer and follow with the McGuffey First Reader.  DD is adding the new words into a Starfall "dictionary".  I write them with highlighter and she writes over them.  Sometimes we build new words with Reading Rods or cardstock letter "tiles".  We throw in some R&S workbooks and a Starfall workbook throughout the week to work on hand-eye coordination and handwriting.  I think it's pretty simple and effective.  My DD recently turned 6, and I'd cut back on the handwriting for a younger child if it was too much for them.

Edited by Holly

We loved OPGTTR. My son was 4.5 when he began to read, and his younger brother learned at 3 because he listened to lessons and wanted to be included.

I mostly just use the list words, and to make it more interesting when he was younger I'd write the words on a white board for him to read or we'd spell them with bananagrams. Later on we used a notebook for trickier words. As we go through the lesson, I write down words that are a little trickier for them and they might need to review. I just keep a running list. At the beginning of each lesson, we read the words in the notebook and they can cross out the words they read correctly the first time. We also review a couple prior lessons from other spots in the book. This works really well for us!! (Sorry if TMI. Thought it might help to hear how we use OPGTTR. These ideas might work with other curriculum as well.)

• Like 1

Thanks again for your supplies. My son is behind on his writing skills and I don't want that to hold back his reading. He still struggles to hold a pencil correctly. I may need to get an OT Eval for him. I'm still working on his writing, though. He has started the first Spelling You See book. He's very fascinated by words right now and asks me how to spell things often.

If he's fascinated by words and spelling you could check out MP First Start Reading. It starts with simple CVC words and even by the last book the words are simple 4 letter words so there's not much writing. It might be just enough writing to help him practice if he is motivated to spell and read the stories.

He has been using MP's FSR as we primarily use MP for our curricula. He has enjoyed it and I will let him continue with it. But it's so slow-going for him since he still struggles to hold a pencil correctly. So, I'm looking for a simple read-only program so he can advance in his reading as he's ready to do.

He has been using MP's FSR as we primarily use MP for our curricula. He has enjoyed it and I will let him continue with it. But it's so slow-going for him since he still struggles to hold a pencil correctly. So, I'm looking for a simple read-only program so he can advance in his reading as he's ready to do.

Get the OT eval soon.  If your momma-instinct thinks he needs extra help, he likely does.

I'm only vaguely familiar with MP reading program, but since he enjoys it we can think of ways to tweak.  If you could scaffold in some helps for the writing, maybe MP could work for you.

Examples:  

Use a highlighter to pre-write the lessons and ask him to trace the highlighted words - always saying the sounds as he writes letters.  

Pull some lessons off of the paper and use HUGE, gross-motor movement for writing. (sidewalk chalk, large whiteboard, "air-writing" with his fingertips)

Stop pushing the pencil.  Give him crayons broken into 1 inch nubs. That will comfortably force a tripod grasp, and it gives vivid visual feedback. Don't care if it's messy, so long as he's using the correct letter strokes with a tripod grasp.

Purchase Sandpaper letters (montessori style) and use them daily.  Finger-trace several letters a day, saying their sounds.  Pinpoint letters that you know are coming up in his lessons.

I understand the need to advance in reading (and you should), but don't move forward without refocusing on handwriting and fm abilities also.  Vision could be a factor too.  Get that OT eval and a full vision exam from a COVD Dr.

• Like 1

Thanks!!!

Have you looked at The Reading Lesson?

It is very similar to 100EZ in approach but with clean pages, nice layout.

Some great ideas here but at that age, aren't they still developing fine motor skills such as learning to hold a pencil? Have you tried other ways to write, such as in sand or shaving cream? A mini white board where the whiteboard marker flows smoothly.  You could also get those big kid tweezers and let him practice picking little things up to build those fine motor skills. Also, play dough. 

There are also pencil grips for little ones to help them with their grip and Bic make pens and mechanical pencils with them built in. My 4 year old uses the pencil version and he loves it.

For reading, we use Reading Lessons Through Literature. It's a pick up and go and only has simple spelling words. I give my son 3-4 each lesson.  We also mix in All About Reading to keep it varied and it works for us. It draws out the lessons a bit longer but at his age, I'm not concerned at going slow. 

I feel the need to disagree with an above post.  A 4.5 year old boy doesn't need an eval because he struggles to hold a pencil.  That's pretty normal.  OP, I think you are wise to go with a reading-only method, of which many people have given good recommendations.  

Susan Wise Bauer recommends the same in TWTM.  There is no need to integrate any sort of writing.  In fact, she recommends teaching the two completely separately.