Menu

Toys from your childhood

The Little Professor thread made me miss all those toys I had when I was younger.

I used to have a game called I Took a Lickin' from a Chicken

I wish I still had that. It was my favorite!

What about you?

i remember a game called, "Monkey's Uncle". Does anyone remember this game? You had different stations that you went to that was put out over the floor (we did this in our basement) and each station you picked a card and had to do some funny thing or other,

I loved my treehouse toy, I played with it for yeas. Ahh.. memories :)

Years ago I wished I'd kept it, I know my kids would have loved playing with it.

Here's a pic of one for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-PALITOY-TREE-HOUSE-FIGURES-CAR-DOG-KENNEL_W0QQitemZ270276487841QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270276487841&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting

Looking back, I find it somewhat strange that "toys" really meant very little to me.

I was as happy "flying" a pen though "space" as I was with any "spaceship" (or the like). And a cool rock, or an especially excellent stick, was at-least-as-good a find as anything that could be acquire from a store.

Not that we were deprived or denied the things we wanted, I just didn't desire for "things".

Exceptions that did stand out were my bikes, first a Schwinn "Sting-ray" and later a Peugeot 10-speed. On these I would cross the city, and enjoyed adventures, friends, and a sense of freedom that would have been impossible without them, so my bikes (if you can call them toys) were prized.

As was the first family "hi-fi", and then later my first personal stereo system (which was far too expensive...but so well loved).

Oh, I forgot the blocks. We had a huge box of wooden blocks that my brother and I played with for years. These were well used, and greatly enjoyed.

Bill

I loved my Dawn dolls (early 70s) and all her beautiful gowns. I really wished I had saved those!

I had one I LOVED!!! I also have a story behind her! My two sisters & I had one each! Someone had dropped a bobby pin in our toilet and I was fascinated by the fact that you could flush it and it wouldn't go down. So, one day, I went to ask my sis if I could play with her Dawn doll while she was taking a bath. The doll was on the sink, and as I turned, she fell in the toilet. I said, "Wait a minute, watch this!", and flushed, thinking the doll wouldn't go down! I watched, and, whoops! :eek:

My sister, of course, was furious! She thought I did it on purpose! The next week, after a trip to the park, my Dawn doll was mysteriously left behind, never to be seen again... :001_huh:

One of my big childhood traumas... I have never recovered, and I don't allow ANY TOYS on our bathroom sink ;)

I was a Hot Wheels gal. Don't know what happened to them.

I also loved the Fisher Price toys, like the castle, the town, and the airport. I know where those are, in my parents basement. Ds played with them when he was little. It was fun to share those memories with him.

My kids play with my younger brother's Fisher Price airport! It's the best!

I loved the homemade Barbie stuff my best friend's dad made for us. We had a ski lift! Her mom sewed evening gowns for our Barbies, too!

Funny that I'm not girly now...

Chelle

Guest Virginia Dawn

I had a Wetsy Betsy. :D

Also:

A doll that laid in a crib and would sit up and shake a rattle when you turn the button on.

A doll that had red hair that came out of the top of her head when you pumped her arm.

Dawn dolls

Malibu Barbie and Malibu Ken

Quick Curl Kathy

Camping Kelly

And those tiny little dolls that would come in plastic purses with windows.

And paper dolls

I loved them all and would make them clothes, furniture and accessories, even for the paper dolls.

Strawberry Shortcake Bake Shoppe (the real Strawberry Shortcake!)

Fashion Plates

sticker books and stickers

Fisher Price A-Frame little doll house

Did I know you when we were kids? I loved ALL of these toys!

I also loved my Atari - my favorite game was one of the cheapie bargain bin games called Dragonfire. BTW, I still have my Atari, and it works just fine!

Oh! Can't forget my barbie heads - you know those styling heads? I had 3 - I would play beauty parlor for hours. Funny enough, I loathe mannequins.

And my Monchichis.

I loved Battling Tops. Wish I had it now. But, my favorite toys were the dress ups that my mom made my sister and me. We loved being pioneers and would play for hours that we were heading west on our wagon (manure spreader cleverly made over to look like a Conestoga wagon), being attacked by indians and dying from cholera. Ah, the memories...

Merlin and Little Professor hand-held games

Fisher-Price Blue Doll House (found one last year at the Goodwill, but it's beat up. Stil, I was so happy)

FP School House

Skipper doll

Breyer horses

Johnny West dolls (I had the Native American woman, bros. had all the rest--loved those)

Rock-em, Sock-em Robots

Thoses horses on springs that you ride

PS: the red-haired doll with the hair that grew is named "Chrissy". I wanted one sooo bad.

I had model horses before Breyer horses became available. Still have the first one I got as a three year old. Had a cold and wouldn't be able to swim on our vacation so I got to choose a 'big' toy from the store. The boxed set had three horses--Daddy, a grazing mama, and a suckling foal. I still have mom.

A funny story about special toys....after my mom died and we cleaned out her house for sale, my dh was gallant enough to crawl up in her tiny attic and pull out the boxes from there. When we got home with them, I started looking through them. Found a box of dolls. Mine, I'm sure, since I'm the only girl. Well worn so somebody had hauled them around for a while. But I felt NO emotional connection with them. (Not surprising to me.) The next box opened had me crying in moments. My TRUCKS. My Tonka truck and horse trailer. My Gates tire truck just like my dad's real one. Another horse/farm type truck. Oh, I remember playing for hours in the dirt with my model horses and my trucks.

Can you say tomboy? ;)

I also loved my Atari - my favorite game was one of the cheapie bargain bin games called Dragonfire. BTW, I still have my Atari, and it works just fine!

Oh! Can't forget my barbie heads - you know those styling heads? I had 3 - I would play beauty parlor for hours. Funny enough, I loathe mannequins.

And my Monchichis.

Oh, how I wanted one of those styling heads! Instead, I simply chopped the hair off my Barbies and dolls, much to my mom's horror! One had a "stylish" mohawk by the time I was finished with her. :lol: I think the styling head would have been a good investment for my mom.

Drew, Lite Brite was an absolute favorite of mine! We've decided that dd4 is just about ready for one, and I'm so excited!

Other than those, I think my favorite thing was my chalkboard and the grade book my neighbor gave me. I had so much fun creating classes of children, teaching them, and giving them grades. :tongue_smilie: We won't go there, kay? :D

ETA: Oooooh, spirograph! Drew! I'm going to steal all your childhood toys (erm, I mean ideas). DH and I had a recent competition here: http://www.freegames.ws/games/kidsgames/simon/simon.htm. Fun stuff!

I was not girly at all, but my parents thought I should have a Barbie house and one of those styling heads. The head stared at me at night and I couldn't stand it. The dream house had one of those elevators with a string that, if you put Barbie in it at just the right angle, you could yank really hard and launch her across the room!

My most favorite toys were the Inchworm, my Big Wheel, and this metal orange pedal tractor with a motor you could take out and play with.

:001_smile:

By the way, Fashion Plates go for around $45-50 on Ebay. I wish I still had mine.

I still have mine! :)

And my Strawberry Shortcake.

And my sticker books.

I saw one of the FP dollhouses at the toy museum in Natural Bridge, VA. That is when I remembered that I had the house, and I then remembered how much I loved it. I remember very little from my childhood. When I saw the house in the museum, I actually had tears come to my eyes!

How about Liddle Kiddles? Or the Lucky Locket Kiddles? The theme song lyrics included the phrase "see how groovy they look, on a purse or a book"! I still have mine!

I loved my wooden blocks -- played with those for years, building houses mostly, and furnishing them with plastic doll house furniture, all mid-century modern style.

Match box cars! Frisbees, hula hoops, sting ray bikes with banana seats...

I coveted my brothers 1950s Lionel Train sets, but was never allowed to play with them or their erector sets:glare: My dh bought me my own electric trains for Christmas early in our marriage.

I was not girly at all, but my parents thought I should have a Barbie house and one of those styling heads. The head stared at me at night and I couldn't stand it. The dream house had one of those elevators with a string that, if you put Barbie in it at just the right angle, you could yank really hard and launch her across the room!

Flying Barbie!!!

:lol::lol:

How about Liddle Kiddles? Or the Lucky Locket Kiddles? The theme song lyrics included the phrase "see how groovy they look, on a purse or a book"! I still have mine!

I had to google Liddle Kiddles, because I have a very early, vague recollection of them. I'm pretty sure that I had at least a picture book, and who knows, back then they probably did give tiny toys like those to two and three year olds! But I'm pretty sure I had the locket or flower jewelry when I was a little bit older.

Ooh, we didn't have tv at home, well, we did, but my dad had it fixed so we only got PBS, but we spent the summer at my Gram's in Texas, and watched Star Trek, and that Christmas we all got fake, what were they called? Tricorders and stuff! SO MUCH FUN!!!! I was Spock, my first real love!! (besides Phillip, who I gave my pickles to at lunch) I tried to shoot my brother all the time, but he never froze--big disappointment!!!

Best toy ever - and extremely dangerous! - Creepy Crawlers made from Plasti-goop in a real oven that got HOT! LOL. I used to love to hear the sizzle when the metal plate hit the water and see the steam that would rise. I made millions of those creepy crawlers, some of them even glow in the dark.

Next favorite was my bike with the banana seat that took me on adventures everywhere.

I also loved my "Flatsie" dolls. I had the one with the white hair and pink microminiskirt. I am laughing so hard, I would love to have this doll now, she was so cute! I had a Flatsie dollhouse that seems to be in extinction since I can't even find it on Ebay.

And last but not least, Malibu Barbie (the first one). She looks so much nicer than my first barbie, the one that looks like a p*ssed off Lucille Ball and has earrings that (over the years) turned her head green. That was one scary doll.

I loved these toys, and had a very happy childhood!

~Dana

Although we were not by any means wealthy, I was a very indulged kid. I had, probably, every toy under the sun, and I'm sure I enjoyed them at the time. But I've been reading this thread and trying to think of anything about which I'm nostalgic . . . Nothing.

I had Dawns and Barbies, and I remember playing with them quite a lot.

I had a large collection of Breyer horses, but they were displayed more than played with.

I had an Atari early on, but I was older by then.

Yeah, just weird. I don't feel any emotional connection to any of that stuff.

Looking back, my favorite passtime when I was a kid was probably holing up in my bedroom with records--especially soundtracks--and dressing up and "performing."

The thing I'm saddest about not having from my childhood is my books. I was a big reader and always had shelves full of books. But when I hit the teen years, my mother talked me into giving away all the "little kid books" to make room on the shelves. Then, when I moved out on my own, I took with me only a box or two of my current favorites. To this day, I will periodically think of a book I used to love and wish I had it to re-read or to give to one of my kids. And so many of them are out of print now.

Best toy ever - and extremely dangerous! - Creepy Crawlers made from Plasti-goop in a real oven that got HOT! LOL. I used to love to hear the sizzle when the metal plate hit the water and see the steam that would rise. I made millions of those creepy crawlers, some of them even glow in the dark.

~Dana

My ds (19) had creepy crawlers. It is one of of the toys I saved to pass down to my other kids. I still have the oven and all the molds. I just don't know if I can still buy the goo stuff. My little guy is almost 4 and he would freak me out with it. I will have to wait till he is a little older.

Some of my favorites were weebles - I had the house and my best friend had the ranch, chinese jump ropes, light bright, anything Barbie and then I had lots of baby dolls. Has anyone seen the vintage Fisher Price toys at Target? They have the classic phone, pull dog and clock. My best friend had all of those. When I saw them, I was so tempted to buy them. Then I realized my kids already had similar toys, but I just WANTED them!

I loved my Holly Hobby Colorforms

I loved Colorforms as well. And, Holly Hobbie was the best! There's another character ruined by modern updates. Are girls so removed from anything of the past that they could not enjoy the original Strawberry Shortcake and Holly Hobbie?

Oh, and I too loved Weeble Wobbles.

I loved Holly Hobby, too. I had the t-shirts with her and her friend with sweet sayings about friendship, etc. I had the Holly Hobby lunch box. I had a Holly Hobby doll named Amy, who wore a green country dress and bonnet. I still have her. She is a rag doll. I took her everywhere and loved her dearly.

Now, the best doll, though, was my moms doll, bought around ww2. I have her in my drawer and she is an almost glass like doll (but doesn't break like glass, don't know the material...), she has a curly haired wig, eyes that open and shut and I have her original little rubbe shoes. I spent hours and hours with her, too.

Next favorite was my bike with the banana seat that took me on adventures everywhere.

I also loved my "Flatsie" dolls. I had the one with the white hair and pink microminiskirt. I am laughing so hard, I would love to have this doll now, she was so cute! I had a Flatsie dollhouse that seems to be in extinction since I can't even find it on Ebay.

And last but not least, Malibu Barbie (the first one). She looks so much nicer than my first barbie, the one that looks like a p*ssed off Lucille Ball and has earrings that (over the years) turned her head green. That was one scary doll.

I loved these toys, and had a very happy childhood!

~Dana

You and I must be about the same age, because I had every one of these toys. I also had a couple of Dawn dolls and Little Kiddles. I was the only girl after three boys; so I was given pretty much every doll known to man:)

Fun thread,

Melissa

Are girls so removed from anything of the past that they could not enjoy the original Strawberry Shortcake and Holly Hobbie?

Really! Strawberry Shortcake was so CUTE when we were kids. Now, she looks like a short Barbie with a big head.

And Holly Hobbie... when I saw what Holly Hobbie looks like now, I was horrified! YOU CAN SEE HER FACE!!! That was always the allure of Holly Hobbie - wondering what she looked like... but I didn't really want to know!

Here's another one I miss: Shrinky Dinks.

And my Monchichis.

I still have Monchichi with a pacifier that you can pull out of it's mouth.:)

I totally loved my Atari! My favorite game was called Circus and you bounced a little clown up in the air on a teeter totter and tried to pop balloons.:D