Menu

How do you get a kid to hold still for a shot?

JumpyTheFrog

My 9 year old had his first vaccine today. He would not relax his arm and wouldn't look away no matter what we did. (I expected this since he is terrible at the dentist for novocaine. He also cried or yelled every time I washed his hair from age 2-5.)

He was on my lap and I was holding his arms. The nurse spent several minutes trying to get him to cooperate but finally gave up on him ever relaxing and just did it while his arm was tense.

I am about ready to just tell them next time that nothing will get him to cooperate, so I will just hold him down and they can do it fast. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I never found anything that got my middle to cooperate when he was younger, we just had to hold him down.  Now that he is older, almost 13, he is much better about it.  He still doesn't like it, but they were able to reason with him and convince him to hold still.  Some kids you can bribe or distract, others you can't IME.

• Like 1

I'd talk to your primary care physician about options including perhaps a low dose of Xanax or maybe consulting a therapist to learn how to desensitize him. Since he's had these sorts of issues for so long, it may take some work to figure out how to get him to cooperate and relax. I wouldn't continue to man handle him if you can avoid it, because eventually he'll become too big to manhandle, and dentistry, etc will become an issue. A cousin of mine was like that when she was little, and eventually she simply couldn't get dental care . . . it became a very serious and expensive dental problem once she was an adult. Each time you fight him, it probably makes it worse . . . I'd go ahead and seek professional advice. 

• Like 1

Well, I was going to suggest bribery, but I see that barely worked. DS was like that. One time, he ran out of the examining room and hid under the chairs in the waiting area. Then there was the emergency room scene when he was 7. He is much better now. Age (he's 13) helped and the $10 per shot bribe worked. The lollipop idea sounds like a good one. From what you described with his hair washing issues, I wonder if he has some sensory integration problems. DS does, but those too have gotten somewhat better with age.

For a 9 year old, I would just tell him, "you can relax and it will hurt for a second, or I will hold you and it will hurt more, but we're getting this done in 60 seconds or less."  Then I would do it in a fast, efficient, and matter of fact manner.  I wouldn't be "mean", but I wouldn't be excessively sympathetic, either.  I would just say, "yeah, it hurts, but not that much, and you'll live."  Personally, I believe one of our jobs is to teach our kids to put their "pain" in perspective, and we just make things worse when we become invested in their investment in avoiding pain.

• Like 3

I've become good at strong holds.

Pain isn't the issue for two of my kids, anxiety about pain/needles is.  They've each needed blood draws in the past two years, with the same reactions as shots, but obviously goes on much longer.  It's a nightmare for everyone, but needs to get done.

ETA: blood draws without notice, so no anti-anxiety meds

I've become good at strong holds.

Pain isn't the issue for two of my kids, anxiety about pain/needles is.  They've each needed blood draws in the past two years, with the same reactions as shots, but obviously goes on much longer.  It's a nightmare for everyone, but needs to get done.

I would do something like this. We do a lot of medical stuff here and have one with some pretty severe PTSD but we have to get through it.

Often the longer you draw it out the worse it gets.  Give the quick choice and do it.  Acknowledge that YES, it hurts, and YES he would rather not have a shot but just have it done quickly and then comfort him and give him a reward----Slurpies from Speedway are a big hit here.

I was queen of holding kids down for shots, blood draws, eye drops, etc. when mine were younger.

• Like 1

DD7 has SPD. Shots require 3 people, 2 to restrain her and 1 to give the shot.  I do just tell them upfront that it will be that way. She always acts like she will cooperate and says "just give me a second to get ready" and she'll sit calmly and take a few deep breaths. Then if you're not ready for it, she jumps off the table and bolts. We've had to chase her through the halls before. So now I just say "we'll need an extra nurse". Sometimes they send in two extra nurses so I can stay back with my 3yo. DD7 thrashes about quite violently sometimes and it's better if I can keep DD3 back away and hold her so she doesn't get too freaked out from the display. 3yo gets her shots first and does fine. We only started vaxing a little over a year ago, so we've been in for shots more frequently than normal to get caught up.

dudeling was terrible about needles, very anxious, - and he's had to have alot of needles.

the ND normally does a video on her tablet. not a chance.

I got him to cooperate by throwing a blanket over his head (it's a "tent".) and let him play a game on my phone as a distraction.  initially 1ds would hold him on his lap, and then he would extend the required arm out of his "tent" for blood draw or injection.  we would tell him we were starting, but he didn't see anything and it helped him immensly.  eventually, he was able to do daily injections without having someone hold him. 

I was horrible with shots as a kid but neither of mine have ever had issues. I've never held them down and always let them look. Mine did become resistant when certain doctors wanted them to be held, or lay down, and look away. Once I said let them be, they were okay.