Menu

Book Series Ideas for Daughter for Christmas Gift

We usually get our kids some new books as one of their Christmas presents. I need ideas for my dd who is almost 10. She is an avid reader and reads above her grade level but is a pretty sensitive girl.

She loves fairy tale type books as well as mysteries as long as they aren't too dark.

She recently read the Tuesdays at the Castle series and liked those. She also liked Dealing with Dragons. So she's a princess-loving girl.

Any ideas on a series I can get her? Something fun and lighthearted but maybe longer than the Castle series. I want the books to take her more than a day to read! Lol

ok I haven't read these, but I took notice when BOTH my kids devoured these books.  No classic lit mind you, but a series that both wanted to read and discuss and draw about.  My dd bought the first 5 books at B&N with her own money to reread.  So that is serious like !!!!! I was shocked to find my son was sneaking the books to read as well.  He asks daily what # we are at the library for the next one.  (he was #98, down to 24!)  Again, I haven't read these myself.  But my kids have been loving them.  And based on the library wait times a lot of kids are enjoying them. 

Wings of Fire

http://wingsoffire.scholastic.com

• Like 1

Darn, I have to run out the door. I'll post a full list of suggestions later, but for now, how about Princess Academy (ignore the ridiculous title)?

She's read those and she did like them. So more suggestions like it would be great!

ok I haven't read these, but I took notice when BOTH my kids devoured these books.  No classic lit mind you, but a series that both wanted to read and discuss and draw about.  My dd bought the first 5 books at B&N with her own money to reread.  So that is serious like !!!!! I was shocked to find my son was sneaking the books to read as well.  He asks daily what # we are at the library for the next one.  (he was #98, down to 24!)  Again, I haven't read these myself.  But my kids have been loving them.  And based on the library wait times a lot of kids are enjoying them. 

Wings of Fire

http://wingsoffire.scholastic.com

Her younger brother has these on audio and loves them. She refuses to listen to them though. 

She's so girly that she is turned off by the covers. I'm still trying to convince her to give it a try but she's a little bit stubborn about what she reads and doesn't like to step out of her comfort zone. We're working on that during our read aloud times as I try to expose her to books that she likely wouldn't have chosen herself. 

Definitely I would recommend the Prydain Chronicles.  They are perfect for this age, and are based on Welsh folk tales.  There are 5 books in the series, and the fifth one won a Newbery Award.  The first one starts as a bit of a slog, but they get better and better.  They kind of lay the groundwork for LOTR as well.

The Borrowers, by Mary Norton

The Rescuers (NOT Disney), by Margery Sharp; rare and OOP, but you can sometimes find them on E-bay.

No, it's back!!

And agreeing, it's wonderful.

The original Bambi is excellent, too. We don't like any other books by the author but Bambi's lovely.

The Borrowers, by Mary Norton

The Rescuers (NOT Disney), by Margery Sharp; rare and OOP, but you can sometimes find them on E-bay.

We have these  :001_smile:

I had to look up the Rescuers but once I saw the cover picture I realized that my mom got these for my daughter a few months ago. 

We have very full bookshelves....and not that we need more books but I can't help myself! 

Okay!

Since your daughter liked Princess Academy, first things first, you could do worse than to look at other Shannon Hale books, including but not limited to The Books of Bayern, Book of a Thousand Days, and Ever After High. The last is a Mattel tie-in, but Hale is constitutionally incapable of writing a bad book, so it's actually still pretty good... at least the first series. The girls refuse to read the second series, which has a different author, so I don't know about those!

Other books she may like, most of which are series:

Above World

So You Want to Be a Wizard (OMG I still love this series with all my heart)

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Starry River of the Sky

Zahrah, the Windseeker

The Inquisitor's Apprentice

The Menagerie

Dragon of the Lost Sea

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

The Wildwood Trilogy

The Search for WondLa

Breadcrumbs (more serious themes)

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm (more serious themes, some scary scenes)

Hammer of Witches

The Sasquatch Escape (actually kinda lightweight)

Ambassador, by William Alexander

Ella Enchanted

The Dalemark Quartet

The Chrestomanci books, also by DWJ

The Grimm Legacy and companion novel, The Wells Bequest

A Wizard of Earthsea

The Winding Circle series by Tamora Pierce, which comprises 2 full quartets and some other books.

Cat Girl's Day Off

Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer (VERY short, but so adorable that I feel like pushing it on EVERYONE)

Powerless

Space Case (does have an off-screen murder driving the plot)

The Conch Bearer

Face Like Glass

The Lost Conspiracy

Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a SupervillainM

My Zombie Hamster (does start with the premise that life is going on after a zombie apocalypse)

Sky Jumpers

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

The Wide-Awake Princess

Not fantasy or sci-fi

The Year of the Dog

The Star of Kazan

One Crazy Summer

The Misadventures of Family Fletcher

The Truth About Twinkie Pie

The Penderwicks

How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy

PICKLE by Kim Baker

Millicent Min, Girl Genius (with two companion novels)

Gaby, Lost and Found

A Spoonful of Jam (and other books in the Hollis Family series by Magorian)

Ballet Shoes (and anything else by Streatfeild - yes, that's how the name is spelled)

All-of-a-Kind Family

All Capone Does My Shirts

Strawberry Hill

The Mighty Miss Malone

Celeste's Harlem Renaissance

I've gone ahead and italicized the books which I think are probably a best fit, based on the information given, but as always, my judgment may vary from yours (and hers!), so you should pre-read if you have any concerns.

• Like 1

Seconding

Some of Tamora Pierce's series might be good. The Immortals, Protector of the Small, and Circle of Magic are appropriate for her age.

Definitely I would recommend the Prydain Chronicles. 

So You Want to Be a Wizard (OMG I still love this series with all my heart)

The Chrestomanci books

What fun!  I hope she enjoys her new books.

Regards,

Kareni

The Castle in the Attic is the first of a series--about a boy with a toy castle who goes "into" it (and the times). We liked this series a lot.

How about a Robin Hood-based girl series? I think they are the Rowan Hood books. Dd liked the first two (she was about 12 or 13 when she read them).

ETA: Ah--added link--Robin Hood's daughter.

On 11/5/2015 at 8:57 AM, kirstenhill said:

I'm not familiar with these books, but has she read the Land of Stories series? There are only four books so far in that series, but they are fairly thick. My DD11 gives them a great reviews.

Warning! This series is not complete yet, and apparently the latest book ends with a big cliffhanger. My sensitive kid went into an emotional tailspin after finishing the most recent one. If your dd is bothered by such things, you might want to hold off until the series is complete.

Edited by musicianmom

You've gotten some good recommendations. I'll add ED Baker's Wide-Awake Princess set. I don't know how many there are ... but there always seem to be more when I go looking for them. 

Unlocking the Spell,  The Bravest PrincessPrincess in Disguise & next year's "Princess Between Worlds"

If she hasn't already read ED Baker's Tales of the Frog Princess, those are stupendous, too.

The Frog Princess, Dragon's Breath, Once Upon A Curse , No Place For Magic, The Salamander Spell, The Dragon Princess, Dragon Kiss, A Prince Among Frogs

One note on Tamora Pierce's books -- Some of them have mature (or 'more mature than some 10 year olds would want') content. DD#1 likes this author a LOT. Once, when looking into some sequels to the Magic Circle books, I found them in the teen section. I decided to preread & figured out why they were separated. I can't remember if it was "The Circle Opens" sequels or the "Circle Reforged" ones that have the more mature content. They do get more harsh & bloody, too.

On a separate but related note on the Wings of Fire series. My kids ALL love them. The girls probably love them the most. Such strong female dragon characters! (You can tell your dd that one of the original dragonets is a princess. It isn't revealed for awhile, though.) However, there are definitely some tough themes in this series. Orphaned dragons. Stolen eggs. A bloody war. Death or disfigurement of dragons which played a big part in raising the orphans. We can't wait for each new book to come out. But I understand having a sensitive kid ... and it would be ok to wait on these.

My dd#3 recently enjoyed Angie Sage's Araminta Spookie series. DD#2 loved the Magyk series - and that is what really got her reading. But it is definitely different than the types of books your dd has expressed interest in so far.

One note on Tamora Pierce's books -- Some of them have mature (or 'more mature than some 10 year olds would want') content. DD#1 likes this author a LOT. Once, when looking into some sequels to the Magic Circle books, I found them in the teen section. I decided to preread & figured out why they were separated. I can't remember if it was "The Circle Opens" sequels or the "Circle Reforged" ones that have the more mature content. They do get more harsh & bloody, too.

Yes, I should have said this. I don't recall mature content in the series I mentioned, but it may not be clear that other series set in the same world (and, in the case of the Circle books, specifically following the same characters) do have more mature content, nor is it necessarily obvious from the book descriptions. And I have run into problems with my oldest wanting to read the other series after reading the tamer ones.

• Like 1