Menu

Anyone have a curricula they can't bear to do again with younger children?

Jennay

Hmmm...

ToG (for younger kids).  What a nightmare.  

WWE/FLL.  Oh my gosh, I wanted to stab my eyeballs out with this.

LLATL Blue, Red, Yellow.  LLATL makes me ragey.  It just does.  I loathe it.  

ETA: I forgot to add...Apologia.  I probably would like this better for late elementary (like...5th/6th).  If I could get around the cheesiness of it.  

• Like 1

DC #1 and #2 did All About Spelling Levels 1 - 5

DC#3 is currently in Level 4. I am not sure she will do Level 5.

And DC #4 Well, I don't know if I can stand any more All About Spelling!

I have also been procrastinating starting FLL 1/2 with her.

You know, funny you should mention this, as I just recently heard a homeschool podcast (maybe a Circe one, I can't remember b/c I listen to a lot of them) and a Mom of Many was commenting that she used a different reading program with EVERY child, because she simply needed the variety. I'd never thought of that before, although I can definitely see where it could get mindnumbingly dull to do the same thing with every child.

One upside is that since you have taught it several times now, you probably have it memorized (not the scripts or the words, but I mean the phonograms, rules, strategies, etc.), and so you could just teach your youngers more "on the fly" instead of using a curriculum at all. I notice that I'm FAR more equipped to teach my DD6 reading, spelling, grammar, math, and Latin since I already went through those so intensely with my DS9. I still use the curricula a little (just to make sure I don't forget to cover something) but I'm seldom dependent on it the way I was when I taught DS9.

• Like 4

Saxon.  It was just a terrible fit for our family all around.

LLATL.  That was just terrible.  Really.  I don't understand the following because it's disjointed, poorly put together, and lacks literature in study and language arts.

Starfall.  My oldest loved it (and we had the books for it), but the singsongy videos drive me batty.

I think Writing Strands would be perfect for my youngest, I do, but my oldest had such problems with it that I'm not sure I want to go down that road again.

• Like 1

Yep. This would have been the fourth year that I taught Sonlight second grade. I just couldn't do it a 4th time. I am reading him some of the books, but we are doing it completely out of order and I added in other books.

I also use SL and I don't mind doing the Cores over and over. But I have always added stuff.

I never did a lot of SL LA but now I might - it will be mostly new :)

We're half way through the 8th set of I See Sam readers. They've done the job, but I am *so glad* I will never have to use them again. Some of the stories are so stupid!

Beginning phonics readers are the worst! My youngest just finished the MCP Phonics readers and I really need to sell them. They actually worked very well for their purpose - I just don't think I can go through them again.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

ToG (for younger kids). What a nightmare.

WWE/FLL. Oh my gosh, I wanted to stab my eyeballs out with this.

LLATL Blue, Red, Yellow. LLATL makes me ragey. It just does. I loathe it.

ETA: I forgot to add...Apologia. I probably would like this better for late elementary (like...5th/6th). If I could get around the cheesiness of it.

Yup, the stabbing eyeballs urge....

I forgot to mention WWE2 for the third time...argh. I think I am going to use the scope & sequence of WWE with our SL history books, but not the workbooks. In the past, I wasn't confident enough to do so.

I am starting to dread teaching BJU math...which sucks as I really like BJU math and my middle has done so well with it that I didn't hesitate to use it with my youngest.  It could be teaching two levels of it that is putting the pressure on, I'm not sure.

I have loved teaching AAS/AAR.  I just love how smoothly it runs.  I was even a bit sad when my youngest finished pre-1.  I still haven't brought myself to list it for sale.  lol 

Beginning phonics readers are the worst! My youngest just finished the MCP Phonics readers and I really need to sell them. They actually worked very well for their purpose - I just don't think I can go through them again.

We bought the Bob books because I kept reading how great they were.  I hate them.  So much.  My older two never touched them and my youngest is on Book 2, set 1.  I won't mind at all if he abandons them in favor of the AAR readers. 

I know it's a wonderful and popular program, but I couldn't stand teaching RS Math A.   :leaving:  The though of teaching 3 or more levels at once made me want to cry.  

LLATL was difficult to get through...I had 3 DC using it at once and it seemed to take forever!  We switched to ELTL and it only has 3 lessons per week instead of 5.  I no longer cringe when it's time for LA.  

Another program is FIAR.  I loved it with my oldest two DC, but I just can't bring myself to read a book five days in a row to my younger DC.   :blush:  I collected most of the books and occasionally pull one off the shelf to read, but I just can't bring myself to do the full program. 

• Like 1

We bought the Bob books because I kept reading how great they were.  I hate them.  So much.  My older two never touched them and my youngest is on Book 2, set 1.  I won't mind at all if he abandons them in favor of the AAR readers. 

I can't stand the AAR readers.  I hate them as much as you hate the Bob books...lol.

Most readers really are awful.  But I have to say, I have enjoyed the HOP readers.  The story line is engaging, the pictures are colorful.  I'm on my fourth kid going through them and I haven't yet tired of Skip and Spin. 

I can't stand the AAR readers. I hate them as much as you hate the Bob books...lol.

Most readers really are awful. But I have to say, I have enjoyed the HOP readers. The story line is engaging, the pictures are colorful. I'm on my fourth kid going through them and I haven't yet tired of Skip and Spin.

That is so funny about the readers. I've done AAR 1&2 with 2 kids and I just bought the aar3 readers because I love the AAR readers. I thought I would die if I had to listen to dd read one more puketastic Disney princess reader, so I am hugely relieved to be back with the AAR readers.
  • Like 3

I can't stand the AAR readers.  I hate them as much as you hate the Bob books...lol.

Most readers really are awful.  But I have to say, I have enjoyed the HOP readers.  The story line is engaging, the pictures are colorful.  I'm on my fourth kid going through them and I haven't yet tired of Skip and Spin. 

I'll have to check out the HOP readers.  You know...because I totally need more. LOL

• Like 1

Singapore Essentials. Did it with my first 2. I won't be doing it with #3 and 4. It is fine for what it is, but bleh. I decided for #3 just to do Miquon even though I did a combo with her sisters. There's nothing there she hasn't picked up or won't pick up as we go along.

I'm sure I'd feel the same way if I'd been lucky enough to have more kids and/or not had to wait so long for little dude, lol.

All I can think of right now is how grateful I am for GSWL instead of Mars Hill Latin, which was nothing but watered down Wheelock's anyway, needed a ton of teacher prep, and always made me feel like either my kids were stupid or else I was for even thinking we could learn a bit of Latin from a book.

Anyway, bump because this thread is just so timely--I doubt if I'm the only boardie who found the Rainbow Resource Christmas Catalogue in her mailbox today.

Yikes!!!!!

• Like 3

Singapore Essentials. Did it with my first 2. I won't be doing it with #3 and 4. It is fine for what it is, but bleh. I decided for #3 just to do Miquon even though I did a combo with her sisters. There's nothing there she hasn't picked up or won't pick up as we go along.

Oh, I forgot about Singapore Essentials! I used it with DC #4 but only because I had book B already. Thankful that is done!

Phonics Pathways!  For the last few kids I have tried to get away from it but I always come back to it for ease and effectiveness.  That brown book and I both sigh together every time I pull it off the shelf.  I did buy a new edition a few years ago but I loaned it out and either didn't get it back or it is lost in the chaos that is my bookshelves.

I have one kid about 2/3 of the way through and the other about 1/4th through right now so I'm using it two times a day.  I'm going to go search for the new edition on my shelves again.  Maybe a green book would inspire me more than the old brown one.

BAD HOMESCHOOL MOM ALERT:   I'm just tired of teaching reading in general.  My two older learners are *still* trying to master it after years and years of diligent, perseverant and dedicated practice.  They're making progress, but it is hard won (language LDs).

I'm sure some of you will forgive me in my sheer, utter (albeit discrete) euphoria in the fact that my third child just sort of "picked up" reading when he was five.  I suspect the toddler will do the same in the future as she shows a lot of the same promise at an even earlier age than ds6 :)  

• Like 3

I love Artes Latinae. It has proved it can get a child actually reading Latin literature. But I'm on Round 3 of it and we're back to endless vowel sound practice, and the basic sentences. Manus manum lavat. Hilaris datorem diligit Deus. Elephantus non capit murem. Over and over; it's like the Suzuki method for Latin. I feel like I'm going to scream.

• Like 3

BAD HOMESCHOOL MOM ALERT:   I'm just tired of teaching reading in general.  My two older learners are *still* trying to master it after years and years of diligent, perseverant and dedicated practice.  They're making progress, but it is hard won (language LDs).

I'm sure some of you will forgive me in my sheer, utter (albeit discrete) euphoria in the fact that my third child just sort of "picked up" reading when he was five.  I suspect the toddler will do the same in the future as she shows a lot of the same promise at an even earlier age than ds6 :)

I'm on my 4th reader, have not had much in the way of difficulty (knock on wood because my husband is significantly dyslexic) and I feel the same way you do about teaching reading.

Right now...I never want to teach reading again.  Ever.

It starts out all well and good...and I always feel a burst of pride at watching a completely non-reading 5 yr old begin to read their first words.  But 9 months later?  UGH!!!!!!  

I am SO tired of saying, "Read what's there...not what you think should be there."  

• Like 5

DC #1 and #2 did All About Spelling Levels 1 - 5

DC#3 is currently in Level 4. I am not sure she will do Level 5.

And DC #4 Well, I don't know if I can stand any more All About Spelling!

I have also been procrastinating starting FLL 1/2 with her.

I could have written this.  LOL

• Like 1