Menu

PSA - DON'T google "dancing bears" lol

Momto6inIN

Google remembers your search results to better serve you. That's why many of us are steered towards the hive when curriculum shopping. Me thinks some of us have a raunchier search history than others.

Yes, this is how some hive members have discovered household or office mates have made questionable searches on computers. Google is watching!

• Like 1

My results are multicolored bears, but then again, when our 6 year old searched for 'sexy girls" because she thought it meant pretty girls, we learned to add in parental controls.  You can put parental controls (if you desire) on Google, YouTube, many browsers, etc. to prevent such results.  Just an FYI.

Of course, dancing hairy gay guys isn't too traumatic for me.

• Like 1

My results are multicolored bears, but then again, when our 6 year old searched for 'sexy girls" because she thought it meant pretty girls, we learned to add in parental controls. You can put parental controls (if you desire) on Google, YouTube, many browsers, etc. to prevent such results. Just an FYI.

Of course, dancing hairy gay guys isn't too traumatic for me.

Do they have to be gay? An interesting coworker of my husband calls him a bear. I don't think my husband is gay.

Google remembers your search results to better serve you. That's why many of us are steered towards the hive when curriculum shopping. Me thinks some of us have a raunchier search history than others.

If we're talking image search there is also the safesearch function which you may have turned on and the OP may have turned off

As for text results, I got a bunch of 'free the indian dancing bears' websites. This amuses me, I know why I got those results, and you're right, it's totally tracking me. 

• Like 1

Do you have "safe search" on? It's in the Google settings.

This is very funny, because the first thing that came to my mind was, of course, burly, hairy gay men. Dancing.

And to the person who asked if a bear has to be gay, I'd say no, not necessarily, it's mostly a reference to body type. The subculture is about gay men who like men with that body type, instead of the waxed and lean stereotype of what gay men are "supposed" to look like.

It would be just like saying a heterosexual woman was butch. 

• Like 1

We do have parental controls on this computer, but still the first sites that came up were all p*rn! And I'm primarily the one who uses this computer (hubby uses only his laptop at work and his phone, kids mostly use their laptop) and I promise I'm not the raunchy one! LOL Luckily I didn't have images on. :)

I just got tame stuff like the Dead bears. Nothing raunchy.

That was via Chrome on my iPad, both while logged in to google and while going incognito. I do have the iPad set to some restrictions to keep anything questionable out. SafeSearch did not happen to be on though. We do have opendns on our wifi to block some stuff, but it'll tell you if it blocks anything. (So if I search for p*rn, I'll get a bunch of links, but if I click them, opendns will tell me it blocked them. I didn't get anything like that.)

I'm curious as to whether I'll get different results if I use one of our desktops, and whether it matters if I log in as DH, myself, or nobody. We do run Qustodio on all desktop accounts, and they're all set to keep out p*rn, and Qustodio is also set to enforce SafeSearch. (It seems to work well, because I've seen drastically different results depending on whether Qustodio was active or not.). I'll have to try a few things and report back.

• Like 1

We do have parental controls on this computer, but still the first sites that came up were all p*rn! And I'm primarily the one who uses this computer (hubby uses only his laptop at work and his phone, kids mostly use their laptop) and I promise I'm not the raunchy one! LOL Luckily I didn't have images on. :)

Was that Google? Could you have left your Google account open somewhere?

Was that Google? Could you have left your Google account open somewhere?

It was google. We have parental controls from opendns and if I click on the links that pop up then it denies me entrance to the site, but the links still showed up on the search.

I don't use any computers other than this one and my tablet. Well, I guess the library once or twice but the last time was ages ago. So I don't think so?

Hmmm....I DIDN'T google Dancing Bears because my children are around but...

I remember last year googling "How to hobble a chick" and got all kinds of interesting results!  And that's WITH Safesearch on.  AND, I know for a fact that I'm the only one routinely using this laptop, as my husband is computer illiterate.  And no, my search results did not reflect my search history, lol.

It might have been related to the fact that I had recently done a cookies/cache dump.  Maybe Google didn't have a search history because of that?

I don't know.  All I know is that I learned to be more careful how to phrase things with Google.  

ETA: Ok, I googled while they were distracted with something else and...all I got were a bunch of bears and Grateful Dead references. NO idea where the GD results are coming from....lol

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's that simple thoughTsuga.  Doesn't Google have a "cloud search history" that is tied to your actual Google profile and not your computer?

I know that I can search for something on Google using one of our Tablets and then if I search for that same thing on my laptop, it indicates that I've previously searched for it (you know how it turns the link purple if you've previously clicked?).  

I had my husband poke around a little bit and see what he could figure out. Turns out the little search bar on the toolbar at the top right of the screen was set to yahoo search instead of google. I guess that must be the difference because when I went to the google search directly it came up with all the innocuous stuff the rest of you found.

I didn't realize you'd get such drastically different results with a yahoo search vs a google search!