Menu

Has anyone seen the spam on the General Education board? Pages and pages.

Alessandra

This spam has been showing up on the Sonlight forums, too, ever since they went free. It was pages and pages at first, and then nothing for a few days, and then pages again. They finally stopped accepting new registrations during non-business hours, presumably in an attempt to catch and ban these spammers early.

I wish they hadn't found the WTM boards. Hopefully the moderators will be able to block them and prevent the spammers from re-registering.

What I want to know is...does spamming WORK?

Do they get business, or views, or whatever it is they want?

That level of spam just produces irritation in me, I don't go click on it to see what it is--especially, in this case, since I can't read the writing!

So...why do spammers spam?  Especially in a language that does not match that of the rest of a board?   :confused1:

What I want to know is...does spamming WORK?

Do they get business, or views, or whatever it is they want?

That level of spam just produces irritation in me, I don't go click on it to see what it is--especially, in this case, since I can't read the writing!

So...why do spammers spam?  Especially in a language that does not match that of the rest of a board?   :confused1:

Seriously, Sleepless in CA wants to chat, but 6 pages of spam is too much to sludge through.

There's got to be a way to limit this.

I have an answer to a post, but I can't find it!!! :cursing:

We actually do have really good anti-spam software, but there's not much we can do to block real people who sit up all night somewhere in Kazakhstan and post over and over again. Don't ask me why they do it. I can't imagine that anyone ever clicks.

If you report one post by a spammer, we can ban and block the spammer, which removes all of their posts at the same time. Don't report every post. Only thing more depressing than seeing 180 spam posts first thing in the morning is seeing 180 individual posts reported. :0

SWB 

We actually do have really good anti-spam software, but there's not much we can do to block real people who sit up all night somewhere in Kazakhstan and post over and over again. Don't ask me why they do it. I can't imagine that anyone ever clicks.

If you report one post by a spammer, we can ban and block the spammer, which removes all of their posts at the same time. Don't report every post. Only thing more depressing than seeing 180 spam posts first thing in the morning is seeing 180 individual posts reported. :0

SWB 

When I read the bolded section, I immediately heard (in my head) dd5's little voice yelling, "I do!"  

At dinner recently, I was trying to move uneaten food from one child's plate to another.  (One didn't like it; the other was still hungry.)  Dd9 (grumpily) said, "I don't eat food off of other people's plates."  And without missing a beat, dd5 cheerfully responded, "I do!"   :laugh:

FTR, dd9 has reason to be cautious.  One of my dc once tried to give away chicken nuggets that she had licked.   :ack2:

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking there's no need to report all of these, or at least not more than one. There's no way the moderators are going to miss them, kwim? I can't fathom what the spammers hope to gain from these posts.

A while back, I was getting a notice from Malwarebytes that there was a problem when I opened up TWTM page. Ds did some weird voodoo and came up with a Chinese guy with something like 1400 websites. Ds said  "Oh a spammer and it's all about the hits!"

Does that make any sense?

This guy seems to love TWTM. :tongue_smilie:

Some boards audit the first few posts. But I am not sure if that stops posting 50 at once and getting the 48 through without the first two being approved. There does seem to be minimal spam on those boards though so maybe all posts are held until the first two are checked.

It can surely only be for the fun of it though as the NZ gifted forum had heaps of postings advertising fake passports and licences which seemed unlikely to be required by anyone there.

I am on another board and we run every registration IP address through stopforumspam.com. If there are reports of spam activity with that IP address we ban them and don't let them on at all. Maybe they just haven't found us yet but we haven't had an issue like that with spam. Would something like that be a possibilty?

I reported one, but would be up all night if I tried to report all of spam posts.

I hope it can be fixed before it gets worse.

When you report spam posted by one person, all of that person's spam posts are removed, so you don't have to report each and every one.

What I don't understand is why there are so many views on those messages. Can y'all not *tell* that they are spam?? and doesn't everyone know that if you report spam, you're supposed to reply with "reported" so we know that it's been reported???

• Like 1

When you report spam posted by one person, all of that person's spam posts are removed, so you don't have to report each and every one.

What I don't understand is why there are so many views on those messages. Can y'all not *tell* that they are spam?? and doesn't everyone know that if you report spam, you're supposed to reply with "reported" so we know that it's been reported???

A spammer could be viewing his own post over again to make it look like other people are interested in hopes of getting more clicks.

• Like 1

Actually, I thought the reported might pop up automatically.

Just call me a forum klutz.