Menu

Spider bites? MRSA? What to do? Am I contagious?

Daria

I have two patches right above the ankle bone on both legs that have been in various degrees of redness, pain, swelling (hard, not puffy) and itchiness since Tuesday night.  They hurt on the surface, but also deep inside my ankles like the swelling is pressing on the bone or something.  Standing on them, or walking has been painful for the past few days.

They got gradually worse until Friday a.m. so I went to the school nurse where I teach who said they were spider bites, and a spider must have gotten trapped between my feet while I slept on my side.  She said to use cortisone cream and take benadryl at night.  

Last night, I went straight from work to the hospital because my son had a sleep study, so I didn't have benadryl, but this morning, I came home, took a double dose, and went back to bed for a few hours and now they seem a little less swollen, and definitely less painful when I walk, but still really red, and incredibly itchy around the edges where the swelling is going down.  They also have little boils or blisters that are hard and fluid field rising up on them.

I googled spider bites and treatment, and everything I read says that if you didn't see a spider and feel a bite, it's probably not that, and more likely it's MRSA.  So, now I'm a little worried.  Here are my questions.

1) I'm supposed to go tutor in a few hours.  Might I be contagious?  That would be the only reason to cancel, in my mind.

2) Do I need a medical professional?  If so, would Minute Clinic (NP located in the pharmacy) suffice, or do I need an ER or something?

3) If it was MRSA, would it seem to get a little better with rest, elevation and benadryl, because it's definitely better today than yesterday, but yesterday I worked all day, up and down stairs, walking a lot, and today I am doing less of that.

4) If it is MRSA, can I still just let it run it's course?

5) Any other thoughts?

Unless you are rubbing your legs up against your students, then no, not contagious.

The treatment for MRSA is anti-biotics because MRSA is a bacteria.  But it is a bacteria that is resistant to certain drugs (the R in MRSA is "Resistant").   You would need to be actually evaluated by a doctor and tested for them to know if it is actually MRSA.   

I think you are fine tutoring but I would go to the doctor or urgent care afterward.  I don't think an ER is necessary unless you have red streaks running up your leg or it starts to rapidly swell even more.  An urgent care place can evaluate it and give you antibiotics if that is what you need.  

• Like 2

My 2 cents (where is the cents sign on my keyboard??)--

There is so much staph out there...it is impossible to keep it all at home. 

Since it is (possibly) a localized skin infection I would suggest that before, during, & after whatever treatment is deemed appropriate, keeping it covered (like sealed covered--bandage/bandaid that seals on all sides) & keeping your hands washed would allow you to go about your normal daily routine.

You are around staph, very contagious & hard to treat staph, literally all of the time anymore. It's important not only for folks with staph to keep their infections covered in public to reduce transmission, but for anyone with an open wound, even just a scraped knee, to keep it covered in public to prevent the entry of staph & other infections. 

• Like 1

Keep it covered, and go to the doc as soon as you can. Our local urgent care clinics are actually very good, but I realize that isn't so everywhere. If they are good in your area, then go to one. If you develop a fever, intense pain in the area, and/or streaks, then go to the er.

You are fine to tutor this afternoon. I hope you feel better very soon! :grouphug:

It could be both.  This past summer, DH had a really, really bad staph infection in his knee that started with a bug bite. It wasn't MRSA, but ended up being a different antibiotic resistant strain. It went from slightly achy to requiring IV antibiotics and a hospital stay in a couple of days. Fortunately, the joint didn't go septic, but it was a near thing.

2 months later and his knee still isn't 100%.

My vote is to get it checked out. And if antibiotic one doesn't start bringing it down pretty darned fast, push for a culture to see what it's susceptible to. There are some NASTY strains out there.

• Like 1

Sounds like when my dd had cellulitis from a mosquito bite (which could easily explain your 2 patches close together). Whether it's MRSA or cellulitis or something else, you definitely want to get it checked out, especially with it being close to a joint.
We were almost in the hospital due to the location and the severity of the cellulitis. 

• Like 1

It could be both. This past summer, DH had a really, really bad staph infection in his knee that started with a bug bite. It wasn't MRSA, but ended up being a different antibiotic resistant strain. It went from slightly achy to requiring IV antibiotics and a hospital stay in a couple of days. Fortunately, the joint didn't go septic, but it was a near thing.

2 months later and his knee still isn't 100%.

My vote is to get it checked out. And if antibiotic one doesn't start bringing it down pretty darned fast, push for a culture to see what it's susceptible to. There are some NASTY strains out there.

My husband experienced something very similar two summers ago. I still have video of packing his wound. Definitely get it checked out!

I hope no news means you are feeling well enough to be too busy to hop on the boards.

I just wanted to say that I agree with the others who say cellulitis (perhaps originating with a spider bite). Also, I disagree with the article you read stating that you usually feel a spider bite. Some yes, but I get spider-bit fairly often and I rarely feel the initial bite.

I just went through something like this with my dd8. She came out of ballet with a strange mark on her cheek (another girl had one also). I thought spider bite and gave her benedryl. I actually think it was a yellow fly -- as they have terrible bites but you only feel the itch, not the initial bite. 

Anyway, she scratched it and because it was near her eye, I really had to watch it. She never needed antibiotics, but we used some topical anitmicrobial wound care silvasorb from a pharma friend which really helped. It's taken a week but it's finally gone. 

I wouldn't go to the ER . . . if it's not truly life threatening, I'd choose a reputable urgent care or your family physician.