Menu

ACT Only?

Do any of you see any issues if I have my 10th grader focus on preparing for the ACT only? She's a hard working and bright student, but due to health issues with an autoimmune disease she needs to watch her stress levels. She's inclined in pursuing a degree that blends math, science and art (she's mentioned an interest in architecture, but this might change). Would the fact that she only submits her ACT score in her college application adversely affect her? 

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks a lot,

Rosa

My son took the ACT one time and submitted that score.  He got into four of the five colleges he applied to and was waitlisted at the fifth.

I think what is more important is that you and your daughter work to apply to colleges that are a good match for her scorewise (above the 50th percentile for admitted students) and otherwise.

ETA: He took the ACT with writing.  

• Like 1

I believe that is OK, depending upon: (a) What is normal where you live and (2) What is accepted/required by the university the student wants to apply to. A woman I do business with in MI wrote me that her DD took the ACT and that is customary there. Her DD just began UM. GL

• Like 1

Both my dds took both the SAT and ACT but did significantly better on the ACT, so are planning to just submit that.

One dd was also sick the day of her SAT2s and didn't do all that well.  We'll probably not submit those either; hopefully any place she's interested in will indeed take the ACT in lieu of SAT2s.

Well, if she qualifies as a NMSF she will have to take the SAT to advance to NMF. I suppose you can cross that bridge when you come to it. Though, prepping for the PSAT with an eye toward obtaining NMF can yield much in scholarship money at some schools.

I do believe that some tippy top schools either require (or recommend) at least two Subject Tests whether one submits the ACT with Writing or the SAT. In other words it isn't *always* ACT with Writing OR SAT with SAT Subject Tests. Some schools want the Subject Tests regardless. Or at least "recommend" them. If most other students have them, you are going to want to have them, too.

However, if she knows that she is ONLY going to apply to schools that just require the ACT or SAT (such as your in-state flagship), then just doing the ACT is fine.

I am in the camp of "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Both my dds took both the SAT and ACT but did significantly better on the ACT, so are planning to just submit that.

One dd was also sick the day of her SAT2s and didn't do all that well. We'll probably not submit those either; hopefully any place she's interested in will indeed take the ACT in lieu of SAT2s.

Some schools require that you submit ALL standardized test scores. Stanford and Pomona come to mind.

Interestingly, that rule does NOT usually apply to Subject Tests results where one can pick and choose.

Some schools require that you submit ALL standardized test scores. Stanford and Pomona come to mind.

Interestingly, that rule does NOT usually apply to Subject Tests results where one can pick and choose.

Fortunately, I don't think she'll be applying at those. :lol:

She does want to apply to Smith, but it's completely test-optional, even for homeschoolers.  I made sure to ask. :)

Her SAT scores weren't at all bad, just not as good as the ACT.  She also got National Merit Commended Scholar from the PSAT (her SAT scores, again, were decent but also not as good as the PSAT).  The day she re-took the SAT to improve was that stupid June test where they only scored half of it. :glare:   So when I suggested she take it one more time, she just said NO.  She could probably have done even better on the ACT if she had, I don't know, practiced for it beyond glancing at the book a bit?  But she is apparently done with tests...

• Like 1

Fortunately, I don't think she'll be applying at those. :lol:

She does want to apply to Smith, but it's completely test-optional, even for homeschoolers. I made sure to ask. :)

Her SAT scores weren't at all bad, just not as good as the ACT. She also got National Merit Commended Scholar from the PSAT (her SAT scores, again, were decent but also not as good as the PSAT). The day she re-took the SAT to improve was that stupid June test where they only scored half of it. :glare: So when I suggested she take it one more time, she just said NO. She could probably have done even better on the ACT if she had, I don't know, practiced for it beyond glancing at the book a bit? But she is apparently done with tests...

I don't blame her!

I was basically putting that info up to say, "It depends..." - which is the case for many questions on our boards!

The SAT is king on both coasts, as well as Texas.  The midwest is heavily ACT country.  However, all four year colleges now accept either test, so go with whichever is better!  I am pushing all of my students toward the ACT this year, and probably next, because the new SAT is such a moving target.  And, there's next to no official practice materials available for the new test.  Just go ACT and save yourself some grief!

In my limited experience, the schools my sons looked at only required one or the other.  The benefit of taking both is really that some kids are better at SAT or better at the ACT and only by taking the practice exams can you really know which they will do better at.  The tests really are rather different.

• Like 1

I agree with Sailor Mom. My ds took both the ACT and SAT and he submitted his SAT score on his college applications because it was significantly better than his ACT score. Which was interesting, because based on his PSAT and PLAN test scores, he expected to do better on the ACT.

So Rosa, only submitting the score from one test over the other won't adversely affect your daughter, but before ruling out the SAT entirely, I would have her take practice tests for both to see which test she scores better on, and then study for that one. 

• Like 2