Menu

s/o managing leftovers

marbel

Spin-off of lunch meat.  I can manage the lunch meat just fine.  It's leftovers that I have a problem with.

It's not unusual to hear something like this: "Can I have this leftover curry for lunch?"  "Uh, I don't know... when did we have it for dinner?"  "Mmm, Tuesday?  Wednesday?"  "No, wait, it must have been Monday because I made it for a night when  everyone was getting home at a different time... so yeah Monday, and today's Sunday so...ugh, that's too old, we have to throw it out."   "OK, then... so what can I have for lunch?"

From time to time I meal plan, but that doesn't last, and from time to time I log on the calendar when we ate something, but that doesn't last...

How do you manage not to throw out leftovers?

We usually eat them within a day or two--I don't make enough, usually, for the leftovers to last beyond lunch the next day, or maybe two days' worth of lunches at the most. If I ever end up with enough leftovers to have them for dinner, that's what we do. No one in my family minds eating the same thing for a day or two.

It helps that I don't have that many containers in which to store leftovers ... I can't just keep accumulating them ;)

• Like 2

Put the leftovers at the front of the fridge so they're the first thing you see.

Plan lunch as "leftovers" from the previous night's dinner. It seems boring at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. If your evenings are varied your lunches will still be pretty varied on a weekly basis. Don't make something new for lunch unless you really are out of leftovers. 

If I try and save them for "two days from now" I forget about them and end up with something scarily close to evolving sentience in the back of the fridge. 

• Like 1

I have hungry people and if there is food they will eat it, simplest solution. DH eats leftovers far older than I would so that helps too. Also, with our fridge there is a corner that keeps things frozen or almost frozen and we keep leftovers there so they last longer. When they start piling up I won't make dinner and define it a leftovers night.

I had a short stint of writing the date on things but that didn't last and I can't remember when I made something.

Oh and we only throw out food that has gone bad -- if it looks good and smells good we eat it. Leftovers are often good for a good amount of time - a week usually.

When I am really organized with a meal plan - leftovers are actually scheduled. That is the best approach but I am not that organized the majority of the time.

• Like 2

IF we have any, I sometimes eat them for breakfast or toss them on top of a salad for lunch. Or DH takes it for lunch. Or DS gets to it before other of us can. ;)

If you can't remember what day you made something, maybe label the container with the date? I date *everything* in the fridge that will be there a while, like mustard, miso, etc. Leftovers, alas, don't last long enough around here anymore.

• Like 1

Masking tape in the kitchen drawer. Write the date on the tape, stick it on the dish, and stick it in the fridge.

I also got rid of my 100 plastic rubber maid containiers and replaced them with a set of Pyrex with lids. There are only about 8 or so.

So when I run out of containers, we have to clean out the fridge

• Like 3

Leftovers are our default lunch. First check for leftovers before making something else. Sometimes someone isn't keen enough on the previous night's meal to want it again. That person will usually say "hey can I have xyz instead of the leftover chicken?" My answer to that is always yes but it keeps everyone aware of the leftovers and in the routine of checking for leftovers first. Not sure how this even became our routine.

I grew up in a family that didn't eat leftovers so it took some time for me to see the value. Such a budget saver and convenience! I love leftovers. Big puffy heart love.

• Like 2

IF we have any, which is a big IF since I have a teenage son, we eat them at the next cooked meal. Our main meal is lunch, so if I have lunch leftovers today, I will plan tomorrow's lunch to incorporate the leftovers, unless DS ate them already for dinner today.

ETA: leaving them in the pot is very helpful - because when I am looking for the pot to cook, I will be reminded that there are leftovers.

2nd ETA: I always make more rice or pasta than needed for a meal. DS heats that up after his workout and throws in eggs, cheese, ham or whatever else he can find.

• Like 1

We freeze everything.  I keep ziploc freezer bags in gallon and quart (fairly inexpensive in bulk at Sam's), and food gets tossed in the freezer.  Then I am free to re-use them at my leisure, to make chili or whatnot.  Sometimes my dh makes himself a lunch for the next day out of dinner, but if that doesn't get taken to work immediately, it gets tossed in the freezer.

• Like 1

I am getting better about not over cooking. When there's not too much to choose from, more gets eaten. If I can see that I've cooked more of something than will be appealing in the next 2-3 days, I go ahead and put some in the freezer.

I also try to keep a soup tub going. This is a good sized container into which I will put leftover vegetables and diced meats. I add small portions of leftovers then just cover with water to freeze. (Eta just enough water to cover each addition, so there ends of being different frozen layers). When there's a good amount, I put it in the crock pot with a glob of concentrated bouillon and other seasonings, plus add rice or noodles for a soup.

• Like 1

Oh also, re: leftovers -- I try and cook just enough starch for one meal. If people are still hungry, it is relatively simple to cook up more rice/pasta/whatever. It helps curb mindless overeating (problem in my family) when you have to go and make another batch of starch, and it's nicer to have the leftovers with fresh-cooked starch. 

Of course with something like mac and cheese this doesn't work, but for things like spaghetti and meatballs or curry it works great. 

• Like 1

Masking tape in the kitchen drawer. Write the date on the tape, stick it on the dish, and stick it in the fridge.

I also got rid of my 100 plastic rubber maid containiers and replaced them with a set of Pyrex with lids. There are only about 8 or so.

So when I run out of containers, we have to clean out the fridge

I use a post it note to show when I made it and add reheating instructions to make it super simple for my family.  You would think by this time they would know about how long to reheat pizza or pot pie but they do not. I discovered that was part of why they weren't eating leftovers- either they were overheating things and making them yucky or they were under heating and biting into a cold lunch.   If I'm home at lunchtime, I often offer to reheat it for them- they're often more receptive to leftovers if it keeps them from having to make their own lunch.  I do what it takes to use all our food. 

I also put notes on things I do not want them to eat- if I make a pork roast and want the leftovers for pulled pork sandwiches two nights later, I had better label it! 

Tuesday night is when our trash goes out so that's when I clean out the fridge.  So Tuesday dinner usually includes offerings of things that didn't get eaten earlier, like a single serving of vegetables or that last serving of scalloped potatoes. 

I'm getting really good about not making too much for dinner. That helps a lot.  

• Like 1

I keep only 5 containers for leftovers (glass). So, when I run out of containers, I pull out one of them and eat the contents instead of my regular meal (even if there is fresh food made for dinner). And then, I eat a couple of the other left overs for lunch the next day. I never get around to using the excess pancake batter, though, and always end up dumping it out.

It helped me a lot when I downsized on storage containers and it helps a lot to have a "normal" sized fridge as well since there is never too much space.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  Sometimes helps to see things in new ways. 

I'm very good about keeping a sharpie marker in the kitchen for labeling freezer bags of meat or frozen fruit.  I also label jars of mustard, containers of coconut milk and broth, etc with the opening date.   So it seems like I could also keep the masking tape there to label food  

One of the problems is that no one really likes leftovers the very next day. The day after, maybe.  My husband takes lunch every day but it's a hassle for him to reheat food, so he gets cold food.  I don't mind leftovers but don't eat lunch if I'm not hungry.   So, I need to get more disciplined about freezing things within 2 days or so, if I don't get around to eating it.

I have gone to using only using Pyrex snapware for leftovers. I use two sizes only of rectangular shaped glass dishes because they are easily visible as they fit into my narrower shelves or can be stacked in a larger space. I have the 6 cup which works well for cooking a full entree, plus storing leftovers for our size family. I also have the 2 cups for smaller amounts.

• Like 1

We live of leftovers, makes my life easier. Usually have them for lunch, unless I know for sure there's barely enough for another dinner... then I'd rather save them for dinner and have a simpler lunch. We go through them so quickly that I don't have to think about it much, stuff rarely ever goes bad.

• Like 1

I refuse to cook anything else until leftovers are eaten. Not all the time, but if I open the fridge and see more than 2 dishes of leftovers then it is clean out the fridge night. if there is not quite enough everybody divvies up the leftovers and we make eggs to round it out.

It does make for some odd meals, but we don't have a lot of food waste.

• Like 1

Clear containers near the front of the fridge so they are in eyesight.

Masking tape and sharpie in the drawer next to the fridge, so the date goes on them when I put them away.  This also works for leftovers like boxes of stock.

Immediately packaging some for the freezer if there is enough/I don't think they will get eaten in a timely manner.

And my biggest problem solver: a whiteboard on the fridge.  As soon as I stick leftovers in there, I write the item, amount, and date on the board.  If there is a "plan" for the leftovers, I note that too, both so I remember and no one else eats them.  This helps me see at a glance what I need to clean out, what needs to get served for lunch, and when I get out of cooking dinner in favor of a "use up the leftovers" night.

• Like 2