Menu

Do antibiotics cause behavioral problems in your kids?!

Kerileanne99

Anybody want to take my dd5 home with them for a few days?! At least, it LOOKS like my dd. I am not exactly certain just who or what has taken over my child's body.

Aliens? I keep waiting for her head to rotate 270 degrees and sticky green vomit to spew forth:)

I jest, I wouldn't really send her away:)

But really, anytime we have to put her on antibiotics (and this is very rarely because she is allergic to several and reacts badly to others!) I want to flee the country until the course is over!

I have read different possible causes, but ultimately it results in the same thing:(

Do your kiddos have this problem?

We have horrible reactions to food dyes and artificial flavors, so if the antibiotics are liquid, there's a good chance we'll have a problem.

:grouphug: This too shall pass!

Yes, good point. She reacts to red dyes horribly, and guess what nastiness is in her 'cherry flavored' concoction. This is just a 3-day course, one more day so we will get through it...and see if we can't get dye-free, aspartame-free next time!

• Like 1

It makes my kids not sleep right most of the time. And they always get upset stomachs.

We don't have the dye issue... it's often the opposite where they don't put in the flavoring (which is usually what contains the dyes) and then I'm stuck arguing with the kid for an hour trying to make them take the dang stuff. Thank goodness those days are over. Now they swallow pills. We've had a few experiences where doctors don't want to go look up the correct pill dosage and proscribe them, but I've learned to be really firm about it. Sorry, lazy medical person, you can spend ten minutes calculating the right dosage in order to save me a full half day of screaming fits from children who refuse to drink that nasty stuff.

DS has never taken antibiotics so I don't know about him, but I react to them.  There have been studies on antibiotic induced mania (which has the fun name of antibiomania).  Have you reported it to your pediatrician?  Apparently some antibiotics trigger symptoms more than others. A quick google brought up this, which lists some of the offenders.

• Like 2

Not my kids, my dh. He gets mean when he takes antibiotics. It is very uncharacteristic of him, but it happens every time. Not violent, thank goodness, but extremely irritable and snappy. I do not like him when he is on them. Good thing he didn't have to take any when we first met. I'd have turned tail and run away quickly!!!

• Like 1

No. Mine each had several courses of antibiotics over the course of their lives, and there was never any behavioral effect.

Now, they did behave differently because they were ill with whatever caused them to need the antibiotic.

I absolutely agree that I would bet antibiotics are often mistaken as the cause...but this is the 3rd time, and it is a shocking departure from her usual behavior, within 2 hours of taking the medicine. As in, standing on a chair and literally screaming at the top of her lungs for no real reason. Running back and forth across the house banging into walls. Giggling hysterically and refusing to comply with any request, just because. Really, drastically different behavior:(

In addition, this time she has been sick for awhile. Her pediatrician waited thinking maybe it was bronchitis da her than walking pneumonia. She doesn't complain, but her cough keeps getting worse. Her bhavior has been consistent throughout: tired, a bit of whiny, easily frustrated...but nothing like this:(

DS has never taken antibiotics so I don't know about him, but I react to them. There have been studies on antibiotic induced mania (which has the fun name of antibiomania). Have you reported it to your pediatrician? Apparently some antibiotics trigger symptoms more than others. A quick google brought up this, which lists some of the offenders.

Good to know, thanks. I will call her ped in the morning!

DS has never taken antibiotics so I don't know about him, but I react to them.  There have been studies on antibiotic induced mania (which has the fun name of antibiomania).  Have you reported it to your pediatrician?  Apparently some antibiotics trigger symptoms more than others. A quick google brought up this, which lists some of the offenders.

This is very good to know--nice to know that it's not just me that's had issues.

The more I read about fluoroquinolones (not sure if I spelled that right) like cipro, the more I am certain I will never take one again unless I'm dealing with sepsis and have no alternative.

I absolutely agree that I would bet antibiotics are often mistaken as the cause...but this is the 3rd time, and it is a shocking departure from her usual behavior, within 2 hours of taking the medicine. As in, standing on a chair and literally screaming at the top of her lungs for no real reason. Running back and forth across the house banging into walls. Giggling hysterically and refusing to comply with any request, just because. Really, drastically different behavior:(

In addition, this time she has been sick for awhile. Her pediatrician waited thinking maybe it was bronchitis da her than walking pneumonia. She doesn't complain, but her cough keeps getting worse. Her bhavior has been consistent throughout: tired, a bit of whiny, easily frustrated...but nothing like this:(

Dh's is definitely the antibiotics also. It is hard to explain the difference, but it is not the illness. If he skips a dose, it goes away and returns as soon as he takes it again. And, it is extreme. He doesn't see it unless I point it out. When I do, he notices it. Says he feels on edge and a little anxious. I just try to avoid him as much as possible if he has to be on them. Fortunately, it is a rare thing.

My kid is allergic to red dye. Documented medically, by an allergist. The ped works with the pharmacist each time to find a dye free option. It's not easy. But it can be done if you have your doc on board.

At least you're almost done with this course. Hang in there.

My kids are freaks (tongue in cheek) so it's always hard to tell, but I swear the older one is in that 1% of the population that can't do artificial colors or flavorings. However, I'm not an objective measurer.

The brain is a complex organ, so I would tend to  believe someone who told me antibiotics made their kid's brain work improperly.

I hope your daughter feels better soon and thanks in advance (sincerely) for finishing out the prescription.

mindlix is the probiotic recommended by dudeling's ND for mind-gut-behavior effects.

Interesting!!!

My kid hasn't been on antibiotics, so I don't know how they'd affect him, but I have observed that even as an adult, my mental state is really sensitive to antibiotics and other drugs. If a medication can cause CNS effects, I'm almost guaranteed to experience them! I have slightly funky neurology as a baseline, so I consider it par for the course.

• Like 1

Yes, good point. She reacts to red dyes horribly, and guess what nastiness is in her 'cherry flavored' concoction. This is just a 3-day course, one more day so we will get through it...and see if we can't get dye-free, aspartame-free next time!

Some meds you can get through a compounding pharmacy dye free, gluten free etc.  We do that for several of the things my daughter takes.  Don't have one locally so we fax the prescription and they mail the meds.

• Like 1

My youngest was on a maintenance antibiotic from the time she was 2 months old until she was 18 months. She didn't sleep longer than 3 hours until she was 19 months old. In hindsight, it was totally the medicine. At the time, no one seemed to believe me that she was such a horrid sleeper. And if they did believe me, it was chalked up to my being a neurotic mother since she had been so sick for her first year. 

She has taken a few rounds of antibiotics since then, but there hasn't been much of a problem with them. Although she's never had to take the one she was on for such a long time.