Menu

So...do your kids forget EVERYTHING over the summer?

I swear.  Sometimes I think the girls know as much now as they would if I had just let them play on computers 24/7 for the past 7 years instead of trying to teach them.  First, ODD froze yesterday at a simple math question in Hobby Lobby - what's 10% of $8.00?  SHE'S 12.  Then today, neither could remember who started the Protestant Reformation when we learned it late last year... or just a few months ago.

You ever want to just curl up and cry from frustration?

Maybe it's just Monday.

• Like 3

A child o' mine attended school after hsing a couple of years. I remember the day he came home all excited about cuneiform. And did I know Mesopotamia was Iraq? Pretty sure I have shared this story before. lol he swore we had never studied that. All I can think is the adage, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears." We can't force information, or interest.

• Like 8

A child o' of mine attended school after hsing a couple of years. I remember the day he came home all excited about cuneiform. And did I know Mesopotamia was Iraq? Pretty sure I have shared this story before. lol he swore we had never studied that. All I can think is the adage, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears." People have to own their own learning. We can't force information, or interest.

That's why I plan to keep records. ... Just to prove to my boys that I did teach them X, Y, or Z. 

• Like 4

My boys don't remember much of history or social studies even though we school year round.  The interest just isn't there. Hubby just asked DS10 about the three branches of government yesterday night.  DS10 learned that in 3rd grade, passed the charter school test and promptly forgot most of it.

• Like 1

If you want something to be remembered, you really do have to have the child recall the information periodically. We school year round, but I know mastering something when we cover it doesn't mean it's going to stick long term. I'm trying to be more conscious of this in my planning now.

• Like 3

Sigh.  Math.

And yesterday - our first "lab day" for biology - I had a little refresher worksheet covering control group, dependent variable, independent variable, etc.  I was nervous that he would balk at being given a "simple" worksheet - but it turned out to be a good thing, because he did indeed have some difficulty remembering what was what.  And even he acknowledged that, and without a trace of feeling like a failure for it!  Wooo, win!  ;)

But you know what I really wish he *had* forgotten over the summer?  Our arguments and frustrations and blowups.  :crying:   While I am sad that he remembers them as well as I do, I am grateful that he seems to be using them as motivation to make this year much better in terms of his cooperation, attitude, etc.  Of course, we're only in week 3, but I'll take what I can get.

Not everything. And sometimes it only takes a week off to forget what we were working on before the break. Sometimes they really have forgotten. Sometimes they have just misplaced things and digging through the pile seems overwhelming, so why bother? :lol:

It comes back with practice. The more times they have to lose stuff, find it and put it in the right place, the better they should get at it over time.

Hey, it beats being frustrated. :laugh:

If you want something to be remembered, you really do have to have the child recall the information periodically. We school year round, but I know mastering something when we cover it doesn't mean it's going to stick long term. I'm trying to be more conscious of this in my planning now.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

We school year-round too, and we also use Anki, a **fabulous** spaced-repetition system, for all kinds of stuff I want the kids to remember. I highly recommend it. Keeping the previously-learned content fresh makes it soooo much easier to learn new things (no matter what the subject). I can't imagine homeschooling without it.

• Like 1

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

We school year-round too, and we also use Anki, a **fabulous** spaced-repetition system, for all kinds of stuff I want the kids to remember. I highly recommend it. Keeping the previously-learned content fresh makes it soooo much easier to learn new things (no matter what the subject). I can't imagine homeschooling without it.

I've been trying to find this! Thank you for posting that link!! Can it be used with more than one person (two accounts or sets of questions?)

• Like 1

I've been trying to find this! Thank you for posting that link!! Can it be used with more than one person (two accounts or sets of questions?)

We use it too, lifesaver. You can set up multiple users. You can also transfer decks between them, though I have only done that once, and I would need to look up the specifics on how to do it again. Anyway, if you enter stuff for your oldest you should be able to copy the deck(s) for the next child and so forth.

• Like 2

Mine have been in ps since middle school. They don't have issues with math or language arts. Oldest loves history and remembers that while she forgets science. Youngest is the opposite. I think they just remember what they are interested in and even if they were schooled year round they would forget those things.

I limit breaks to about 6 weeks for exactly this reason! And there will still be some things that need refreshers. But eek gads, the two times we took a longer break (8 or 10 weeks)...it was NOT pretty! This is why public schools review until October or November. I always plan on needing to work review into our year (and for some subjects, a day or two of review after a shorter break like Christmas break is also needed). Hang in there!

A child o' mine attended school after hsing a couple of years. I remember the day he came home all excited about cuneiform. And did I know Mesopotamia was Iraq? Pretty sure I have shared this story before. lol he swore we had never studied that. All I can think is the adage, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears." We can't force information, or interest.

Yep.

Glad to help! Anki is my secret weapon in our homeschool. More below...

We use it too, lifesaver. You can set up multiple users. You can also transfer decks between them, though I have only done that once, and I would need to look up the specifics on how to do it again. Anyway, if you enter stuff for your oldest you should be able to copy the deck(s) for the next child and so forth.

Yes, this is exactly how we use it, too. As I cover curricula with DS9, I create a deck for the curriculum and we start reviewing cards... Once I've created the whole deck, I can import it into my DD5's account, and I start reviews with her once she gets to that curriculum.

Currently, DS9 has decks for Art Appreciation, Bible, Chinese, Grammar, Poetics, Poetry, Spelling, Latin, Math, Music Theory, Science, and Spanish. I'm working on adding History but haven't gotten around to it yet. We spend anywhere from 15 to 90 minutes a day on his Anki decks (if we do it 5 times a week, it takes much less time, but if we take a break of a week we have a lot of catching up to do, so I try never to do that, LOL!).

It only takes about 5 - 15 min to do DD5's decks with her, since she has so much less content.

I've discovered that if we take a break from doing *new* content in our homeschool but I keep doing Anki faithfully, when we get around to doing new content again it is as though we never took a break, because everything DS learned before is still fresh. It.is.awesome!!!

I have a different problem. It's usually me who forgets. My dd is always saying, "Mom, don't you remember? We learn blah, blah, blah....."

And I'm like, "No." With a big blank stare.

Then she rolls her eye at me.

This is often my problem, too, and Anki has solved it for me. I always do Anki *with* DS, which means I get the review too, which I usually need just as much as he does. It takes up time in our schoolday, but it is time that is incredibly well spent, because our Anki time helps us review as well as make connections with new material.

• Like 1

My oldest has started from scratch on her multiplication facts 4 times. Yes, 4. You would think I would learn to be a year round schooler, but I just keep hoping it will get better. I'm almost convinced. Almost.

My youngest can't remember her addition and subtraction facts so I reset her progress in reflex math so she wouldn't be so frustrated. (I remain frustrated, but I guess it really is my own fault.)

Speaking of Anki -- I took my hard drive into a computer repair place & the repair woman was convinced that most of my educational software were malicious software because she'd never heard of them. By the time I picked it up, she had changed her tune & told me she learned a lot from my computer -- specifically pointing to Anki, which she had to look up.

:rolleyes:

:grouphug: ((Amber))

• Like 1