Menu

Migraines/Paleo/Make it stop!

enchantedhome

So, I've had bad headaches, usually migraines, every single day for weeks now. I've gone through headaches periods before, and I know I have some triggers: heat, overstimulation, alcohol, stress, exercise, loud sounds…so, a few drinks, a loud concert, and being stressed would be a headache guarantee. Knowing I can't control all of those factors,but I'm really trying to find a way to mitigate them before my G.P. sends me to the neurologist (she's already hinted that's next…no meds seem to really help).

I've been tested in two different ways for celiac disease (blood and also small intestine sample), and both were negative. I've been to a gastro, and had a scope: no colitis, Chrone's, etc.

I have really, really wary of gluten-free/paleo. I think unless you have an actually medical necessity, it's a difficult diet to choose. I have a history (10-15 years ago) of eating disorders, and having fought hard to heal, I've maintained health (mental and physical) through moderation and not restricting any foods. Ways of eating which take out certain food groups really prompt anxiety in me….

That being said, I'm so sick of headaches I can barely see straight. I need to feel healthy and good to take care of my family and educate my kids! And I deserve to not be miserable every day! I have read in many places that people have had relief on the paleo diet. I'm getting desperate, and I would love some feedback on whether you've had any experience with migraines/paleo/dietary changes and help with headaches. 

I've taken to asking total strangers on the internet! 

Thanks so much.

Angela

Would it help to try a Whole 30 cycle? To think of it as an elimination diet to clear out your system so you can find your triggers? It's 30 days. You can do anything for 30 days. One of the rules is NOT to get on the scale for the 30 days too, and they emphasize it's about how you feel not what you weigh.

• Like 2

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it out for a month.  Interestingly, my DD's headaches and other symptoms got way worse when we went Paleo.  Turned out she can't process salicylates very well.  The healthier she ate, the worse she got.  Now it's under control, but that was quite a surprise.  I have another friend who had amazing results after going gluten-free for a month, but she didn't want to give up bread forever, so she just puts up with the headaches and brain fog.  I don't know how she does it, but I guess some people just like to eat what they like to eat.  I haven't eaten wheat or rye for 15 years, and it doesn't seem like a big deal for me, but I think that's just because I'm so used to it.  I don't remember how difficult it was in the beginning.   I hope you can find out what is going on with your headaches!  That has got to be frustrating :-(

• Like 1

No caffeine, no sugar, and low carb means no headaches or migraines for me. The only downside of eating like this and exercising regularly is that I rarely feel tired and don't sleep very well. Occasionally, during high stress times, I regress to old eating habits and the headaches and migraines return.

• Like 1

Gluten = guaranteed headache, for me. First it's the bloat and gut pain, then about 20 minutes later the headache and fatigue. I still willingly eat it once every now and then, but try to make sure I'm "set up" for it. Ie: at home or heading directly home after consumption, and near the end of the day, so I can suffer in my bed and sleep off the worst of it.

Gluten can cause a lot of problems for a lot of people that are non-intestinal.  But of course not everyone's problems can be helped by going off of gluten.  Really the only way to know is to try going off of it.  See if it helps.  I've found with my pain problems that I have to keep with an experiment for a bit longer than I would think because I do have some relief from pain sometimes and you can't tell if the lack of pain with a new protocol is really due to the experiment or if it is a coincidence.  Time always sorts that out for me.  

• Like 2

Honestly and I say this with great care, demand to see the neuro. I resisted for a long time but a period of 4 months with migraine every day broke me. I was put on beta blockers in May and I've had three migraines since, all with as you posted several triggers causing them. I have so much more energy now it is insane.

• Like 4

Oh no :grouphug: I have migraine. If I had one every day I'd be weeping. My 11 yo had a period like you describe and has improved with eliminating nitrites/nitrates and msg. I know everyone has there own triggers but it's a start that didn't require huge changes. Just label reading. I would still go to the neuro. Meds have helped.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

I have considered a Whole30, but the strictness of it and all of the rules around it really make me feel uncomfortable…I think if I do it, it would have to be a total mindset change: I'm doing this only for awhile, it's to help with headaches, etc. Otherwise, all of my self-protection alarm bells go off (I think once you've struggled to regain health after an E.D., you are like a mama bear with your body). 

I think I'm also hesitating trying a diet change because I'm skeptical that foods are the primary trigger, and I don't want to give up things I love for no reason…but maybe it would make me feel amazing. Only one way to find out, I suppose, but cooking in such a restricted way, with a family, sounds super difficult. And expensive:/

• Like 1

If you stick to a round of whole 30 and it doesn't get better then you know for sure with 100% certainty that food is not a trigger and you can move on and not have that question in the back of your mind.  If you don't, then you will wonder.  It doesn't have to be forever...just 30 days.  Even if it does get better and it is the miracle you are looking for, it doesn't mean you are stuck on that forever.  You can slowly introduce foods and you may find that only one or two of the foods are a trigger for you. 

• Like 3

I don't get migraines, but I do get bad headaches.  They completely went away when I did Whole 30.  I think mine might be related to sugar.  When I stopped Whole 30 the headaches came back.  I did a big Costco shop yesterday and am doing a bunch of make-ahead cooking today and will start my next Whole 30 on Monday.  I'm looking forward to leaving the headaches and the acid indigestion behind.  

What stopped me from worrying too much about what I couldn't have on Whole 30 was how great the food that I could have was.  I was trying all kinds of neat new recipes and the majority of them were really good.  It was fun rather than stressful.

• Like 1

My son was seeing a neuro and was one step away from being medicated. If he had been a bit older he probably would have been. Long story short he is headache free now. We are primarily Paleo. For him it is corn and dairy that cause the headaches.

My daughter isn't as bad but she does get daily headaches if she is regularly eating wheat. Also, anything with cranberry. Again, Paleo has helped immensely.

We are Paleo because it is the one way of eating that covers all my kids food issues and I only have to check for a couple of things (cranberries, pecans, walnuts).

• Like 1

Mine are definitely tied into sugar consumption.  I have IBS too and there seems to be a link.  Probiotics and using ground flax as a fiber supplement are helpful to me.  As is avoiding white and highly processed carbs.  Balancing meals with protien/fat/carbs is important for me too. 

My sister has migraines. For her, sugar seems to be a big trigger. (Maybe there are other things too?) Giving up her beloved gummy bears helped somewhat (though she still has sugar in other stuff she eats). She recently started medication for her migraines (sorry, don't know which one) & said that has really helped a lot. They haven't gone away completely, but they have lessened in frequency by a large amount.

I took a Go Sugar Free online course many months ago & it was really informative & eye-opening for me. I haven't given up sugar completely, but I'm much more aware what all it is in & have significantly reduced my intake of it. If you google, you can find lists that have all the names that sugar shows up as on food labels. The lists often have anywhere from 50+ names of sugar. So, basically, a lot of it is being aware of the names & diligently reading food labels.

Hope you find some relief soon! :grouphug:

Paleo did not help my migraines. Not that it won't work for other people, but I was so excited to try it, because it had been shared as the cure-all for everything, and while it was a healthy way of eating for me, it was not a migraine or headache cure. 

My migraines are hormone-based, I would guess 75% of the time. Then other random triggers: getting dehydrated, over-tired, etc. For me, I try to be pro-active with known triggers, and the rest of the time, I take a prescription pill. 

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

I have considered a Whole30, but the strictness of it and all of the rules around it really make me feel uncomfortable…I think if I do it, it would have to be a total mindset change: I'm doing this only for awhile, it's to help with headaches, etc. Otherwise, all of my self-protection alarm bells go off (I think once you've struggled to regain health after an E.D., you are like a mama bear with your body).

I think I'm also hesitating trying a diet change because I'm skeptical that foods are the primary trigger, and I don't want to give up things I love for no reason…but maybe it would make me feel amazing. Only one way to find out, I suppose, but cooking in such a restricted way, with a family, sounds super difficult. And expensive:/

For an elimination diet, the Whole 30 rules on snacking and whatnot are irrelevant. The important rules would be no dairy, no legumes (soy, peanuts), no grains (rice, corn, wheat), no sugar, and no alcohol. That eliminates many of the top 8 allergens and migraine triggers. Tree nuts may or may not be an issue for you, and my brain cannot recall the 8th allergen right now. I went on an even more restrictive elimination diet when nursing my last newborn. Blood coming from places it shouldn't in your tiny baby from things you're eating is a powerful motivator. Migraines for me would be too. (I get them, but not that frequently. The environmental triggers you listed plus hormones are the biggest culprits for me.) Cutting out all those things looks daunting, but it helps to focus on what you can have. Produce right now is bountiful. Eating fresh, whole foods is easier for me in summer because it's so delicious. Salads, lettuce wraps, grilled kebabs... Dessert is whipped coconut cream and fresh fruit. Yum! Avocados and runny-yolk eggs add richness without dairy. Oh! Eggs. That's the other allergen.

Eating out was a real issue when I was doing it for my baby. Right now I'm doing a whole 30 for my health, so I'm not stressing if there's a trace of soy or dairy in something. For her, I ate out occasionally at Chipotle or local bbq places that would tell me what was in their rubs. I don't like bbq sauce anyway, so good brisket with collards is a happy meal for me.

With an ED complicating your food relationship, it might help to consult a professional. If limiting quantity/amount is an issue for you, a whole 30-esque plan might be okay. You don't count size or calories or carbs. You're not trying to decide if that's a medium sized apple. Can I have 15 of these strawberries because they're small or only 10? It's an apple. Eat it. Strawberries. Eat them. You don't even have to call it a whole 30, but it helps to look for recipes or give a short answer to nosy friends/family. Why can't you eat my delicious X? Oh, I'm doing a Whole 30! Oh, I've heard of that--someone on FB was raving about it. Instead of going into detail about migraines and dairy and gluten and etcetera.

If you do think dairy could be a culprit, 6-8 weeks is a better time frame for eliminating it from your system. A good (dairy and soy free!) probiotic and digestive enzymes can help too.

• Like 1

I have had migraines for years. I struggled to find the trigger, and finaly for me it was dehydration. I tend to forget to drink water or any liquids. When i am on top of how much water i am drinking i can eat all those foods that for years i thought i would never eat again.(even when the headaches didnt stop) It wont hurt to really track how much water you are drinking and see if it helps. I need over 100 oz. daily to feel good.

Hth!

• Like 1

I understand about the ED.  I would be wary of any strict diet, especially one like paleo or veganism (no offense) that sometimes come with very very strict judgmental practitioners. Obviously not all.  But some are very vocal and to me, made that anxiety skyrocket. Primal is a bit more low key, but I wouldn't try to label anything and instead eliminate one trigger at a time or do an elimination diet with doctor supervision to see if there are triggers. FWIW, paleo did not make my migraines go away.  Everyone is different.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

So, I've had bad headaches, usually migraines, every single day for weeks now. I've gone through headaches periods before, and I know I have some triggers: heat, overstimulation, alcohol, stress, exercise, loud sounds…so, a few drinks, a loud concert, and being stressed would be a headache guarantee. Knowing I can't control all of those factors,but I'm really trying to find a way to mitigate them before my G.P. sends me to the neurologist (she's already hinted that's next…no meds seem to really help).

I've been tested in two different ways for celiac disease (blood and also small intestine sample), and both were negative. I've been to a gastro, and had a scope: no colitis, Chrone's, etc.

I have really, really wary of gluten-free/paleo. I think unless you have an actually medical necessity, it's a difficult diet to choose. I have a history (10-15 years ago) of eating disorders, and having fought hard to heal, I've maintained health (mental and physical) through moderation and not restricting any foods. Ways of eating which take out certain food groups really prompt anxiety in me….

That being said, I'm so sick of headaches I can barely see straight. I need to feel healthy and good to take care of my family and educate my kids! And I deserve to not be miserable every day! I have read in many places that people have had relief on the paleo diet. I'm getting desperate, and I would love some feedback on whether you've had any experience with migraines/paleo/dietary changes and help with headaches. 

Thanks so much.

Angela

I've been having migraines for over twenty years. I can also sympathize with the food issues as I have a history of issues with eating and also am already on a restricted diet (due to severe allergies).

When I last saw my PCP, I mentioned the migraines again because they are so often and it was so debilitating. The most helpful recommendation for me has been to try Vitamin B2 supplements and/or magnesium.

The other idea was to read Heal Your Headache 1-2-3. Here's a link to an article about it and a sample. I have mixed feelings on this book. The diet tends to be the focus, as it is in the NPR article, but it's just part of his protocol.

With my food issues, I just couldn't go on such a restricted diet. But I did pick out a couple things I could do without and did notice some improvement. I would be hesitant, in general, about  anyone cutting out a lot of foods without medical guidance.

The biggest thing, more than the diet, that I got from the book was to avoid a triggering medication cycle (not that meds are bad, but if you can borrow the book, you can see what he talks about. Or check out this article that reviews the book) and to avoid as many triggers as possible so I can try and stay under my threshold point for a migraine.

So if I avoid the trigger foods more than before, then I perhaps tolerate a little more stress or a short night's sleep. (I noticed dehydration means an almost guaranteed migraine so I am much more aware of keeping on top of it.) But it's tough. And triggers vary so much! Mine used to be mostly just triggered by my cycle and I could set a calendar by the timing of my migraine/start of cycle. Then the migraines increased in frequency and the triggers changed completely. They've been a moving target at times.

I would see a neurologist if your GP recommends it. Good luck.

• Like 1

First (((((hugs))))), i can't imagine having to deal with that. I also echo the advice to see the neurologist. But I totally get considering eliminating gluten, because I am the kind of person who would try anything if I have a problem/ ailment.

Maybe if you viewed it as looking for a trigger and not "an elimination " that would help.

I will add that my cousin, who struggled with ED for years (started around 15) ended up going gluten free in order to help with IBS. She said that she found once she got her IBS under control her ED issue was less overwhelming. She felt as if she gained some control over herself which helped. Food no longer feels like her enemy and she doesn't hate her body anymore.

It may not help you, gluten may not be a trigger for you, but it may be worth trying.

• Like 1

Thanks so much.

Angela

I, too, used to get migraines off and on for years (like three or four a year) and then suddenly, I had a migraine every day for two weeks (either that, or it was one long migraine that never fully went away, I'm not sure, but it was hell). Mine turned out to be caused by Aspartame.

In a casual conversation with someone, she mentioned that she couldn't chew any gum because they all had Aspartame in them, even if it wasn't on the label and that she was so sensitive to it, that the small amount would give her a migraine. It seemed odd, but later that day I googled Aspartame side effects and saw the many, many people who reported issues, many of them after years of noticing no troubles, and most others found avoiding Aspartame cured/made better a bunch of issues (diabetes, MS, etc, etc). I had a 3-a-day-Diet-Coke habit. I switched to regular sodas for a week (to get rid of the Aspartame), then slowly weaned myself off soda entirely over the course of a month or so (to get rid of the HFCS and other yuck stuff in soda). My migraine(s) lessened within two days. I kid you not, and they got better and better very fast, before going away entirely. I have been migraine-free for about eight years now and avoid *anything* with Aspartame and only eat real sugar. The stuff I read suggests it build up in the brain, causing issues. I know medical research says there is no correlation, but I think there is a trigger for some people.

I just wanted to share my story in case you ingest Aspartame, or in case it helps anyone else.

• Like 2

I am the mother of daughter with anorexia so I am super hesitant to even think of any kind of diet that includes restricting any group of foods but more importantly my husbands own headache issues had another very unexpected trigger so I wanted to share his story.

The first time my husband experienced and was diagnosed with migraines was when he was deployed in Oman.  They troubled him daily the whole time he was there.  Upon returning to our home in Illinois they went away.

A few years later when we lived in California they came back again and he spent a whole spring suffering truly debilitating headaches.

3 years later we moved to Virginia and he started having headaches again every night.  They woke him up at about 11:00 pm and continued for several hours he described it as like an ice pick going though his eye into his brain.  The doctor diagnosed cluster headaches and prescribed medicine that totally knocked him out.  Then his lip started randomly swelling up, we started a food journal.  Then he developed a rash on his torso. They gave him hydrocortisone lotion for it and the rash just got worse.  his lip was swelling everyday and the headaches came like clockwork every night.  The doctors were baffled and the food journal showed nothing in common other than very basic ingredients.

I spent hours researching his symptoms on the internet and found reference in a medical journal to swelling of the lips as a rare side effect of corticosteroids. All of the sudden a light came on.  He has always had seasonal allergies and the doctor had just recently prescribed Flonase for him (it isa corticosteroid)  I asked him if her had every used it before and found out the doctor in Oman and prescribed it as had the doctor in California but he discontinued its use in both cases (upon coming home from Oman and when summer hit in CA, we moved before the next spring).

I told him what I had discovered.  He told the doctor who laughed and assured him that corticosteroids are safe because our body produces them so you can't be allergic to them.  Another 2 days of misery was enough to convince my husband to try my idea and the headaches were gone in a week.  He didn't use flonase for another 12 years.  During that time he continued to have allergies and doctor after doctor tried to get him to use Flonase.  They all swore that you can't be sensitive to it. Its just topical, not systemic etc. 

Finally, last year the doctor convinced my husband to try it again (he actually kind of tricked hm be using the generic name and telling him that it was not Flonase) he had the first migraine headache three days after starting to use it.  He has now sworn it off for life.

My husband had great success with the diet in Heal Your Headache.

http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Headache-David-Buchholz/dp/0761125663

It takes away foods that cause inflammation and are known migraine triggers.  It follows loosely a paleo diet.  He also took a calcium channel blocker.  The diet also helped a daughter of mine, but strangely, not another daughter who still has chronic headaches.

I'd recommend it.  It has lots of good advice in it, not just diet-related.  My husband had chronic migraines for over 15 years, and this was one of the first things that actually helped him.