Menu

Ballet flats or other shoes for long walks?

madteaparty

I have long walking days in London and Paris ahead of me and having some trouble. I normally love Jcrew ballet flats but recently my feet swell a little (if I walk NYC all day for example) and they also become awkward.

I bit the bullet and bought some Birkenstocks in the gladiator style but they gave me blisters. I need to return these.

I am not going to wear sneakers or TEVA type shoes so those are out. Any suggestions for me?

• Like 1

Clarks?  A different style of Birkenstocks?  (I don't buckle my Birks tight.)  Flip flops or sandals with a really supportive sole?

Do you have a store near you that specializes in good, supportive shoes that aren't sneakers or sport shoes?

I did not buckle these tight either, it's just the strap part between my toes that was the killer.

Will look into Clarks, thank you

Look for shoes from known comfort brands: Sofft, Aerosoles, Cole Haan, SoftWalk, UGG sandals or flats, ECCO, and so forth. Nordstorm Rack may have a good deal.

If I could spare the change I'd buy these

I can spare the change but I wear dresses almost exclusively... And I'm not cool enough to pull those off with sun dresses, model notwithstanding ;)

I love my ECCO loafers, though I don't know if they make my exact style anymore.  They are called the "Spin Loafer."  But, they do have so many styles.  I wear them on long, long walks, and they are so comfortable!  They've also lasted me for several years, and I wear them a LOT.

• Like 1

I suggest a different style of Birkenstocks. I can't deal with anything between my toes, so I wear one of the styles that are just two straps. I particularly like the soft sole version--they're much more comfortable while being broken in than the hard sole version is.

• Like 3

FitFlops are the only shoes that don't hurt my feet for long, 10 day Disney trips...lots of walking.  This is the style I'm talking about (I actually have these) http://www.zappos.com/fitflop-novy-black Something blingy to go with a sundress (or shorts...or anything.  Bling is good!)  The part between the toes is very smooth and supple and nonirritating...I didn't like wearing flipflops before these.   And there's nothing to rub and give blisters.  They have other styles as well, but I've never bought them, so can't give feedback.  I'd just read reviews.

I would highly recommend sneakers/tennis shoes (yes, I read what you said) simply for the support given to your body. Your feet and legs actually support up to 1000x your body weight each and every time

you step on them. Do not ignore a high quality shoe in favor of price. The price you will pay in your physical health will not be worth it! That being said, both my daughter and I have found Sketchers to be a great

'in between' shoe. It's really more of a sandal with a thick, dense rubber sole that gives great support. They'll run close to $50 and are worth every penny! HTH!

• Like 2

If you want a ballet flat look but plan to walk a long ways, you want Eccos. This particular sole style has served me well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECCO-Black-Leather-Ballet-Flats-Womens-Shoes-39-8-8-5-/141726915104?hash=item20ff951a20

I have had 3-4 pairs like that over the last 8 years. Different top decorations but the same shape and sole.

I would highly recommend sneakers/tennis shoes (yes, I read what you said) simply for the support given to your body. Your feet and legs actually support up to 1000x your body weight each and every time

you step on them. Do not ignore a high quality shoe in favor of price. The price you will pay in your physical health will not be worth it! That being said, both my daughter and I have found Sketchers to be a great

'in between' shoe. It's really more of a sandal with a thick, dense rubber sole that gives great support. They'll run close to $50 and are worth every penny! HTH!

I agree.  I find stuff like ballet flats to be just too thin and lacking in support to work for long distance walking.  And BTDT, I was in such dire pain I found it difficult to walk the next day.  So now I don't care about being uncool with my sneakers. 

Surely you can find something in the realm of sneaker/walking shoe that you don't object to in terms of looks. 

• Like 3

FitFlops are the only shoes that don't hurt my feet for long, 10 day Disney trips...lots of walking.  This is the style I'm talking about (I actually have these) http://www.zappos.com/fitflop-novy-black Something blingy to go with a sundress (or shorts...or anything.  Bling is good!)  The part between the toes is very smooth and supple and nonirritating...I didn't like wearing flipflops before these.   And there's nothing to rub and give blisters.  They have other styles as well, but I've never bought them, so can't give feedback.  I'd just read reviews.

I would have agreed with you two years ago. I hate wearing shoes and take them off as soon as I step into the house, but I often forgot I had shoes on when I wore my FitFlops. But one day we went on a spontaneous hike while I was wearing mine, and I noticed a pain in the ball of my foot that night. I still have that pain even after several trips to a podiatrist and PT, and the only thing that will really fix me is surgery. I don't mean to rip on FitFlops at all, but I can't recommend them for heavy duty walking.