Menu

Where do people think your accent is from - oddest guesses?

luuknam

I get a lot of northern European countries as guesses, all the way from Ireland to Russia, the most frequent one being British (which I think probably just means that people lack imagination - white, fluent English... hm... Britain?). However, recently someone thought I sounded like I came from the Dominican Republic.

What are the weirdest guesses you've gotten for your accent?

I get 'Canada' quite often in the UK, because I have a slight north American tinge to my accent after 27 years with Husband and many years spent overseas.

In Chinese, someone on the phone once thought I was from Shandong, which is considered one of the worst-sounding accents in China.

I'm Californian, born and bred, but my parents are Canadian immigrants and I grew up watching more British television than American, so my accent and dialect are both a bit of a hodgepodge. When I address my mother , it's a cross between "Mum" and "Mom", my "been" is homophonic with "bean", and I enunciate my t's (as in butter). My vocabulary is equal parts British and American, and there are words I spell in American English and others in British English. I think I sound unmistakably American, but some people are thrown.

Tangentially: I had a teacher once who was trying to illustrate some differences between American and British English, and she said "See, none of you would understand if I told you to "Get your bumpershooter out of the bonnet and get in the queue." I told her that a British person would also be confused by that sentence, and would wonder why the umbrella was under the hood of the car instead of in the boot/trunk, and she had a good glower.

Tangentially: I had a teacher once who was trying to illustrate some differences between American and British English, and she said "See, none of you would understand if I told you to "Get your bumpershooter out of the bonnet and get in the queue." I told her that a British person would also be confused by that sentence, and would wonder why the umbrella was under the hood of the car instead of in the boot/trunk, and she had a good glower.

Not to mention that this Brit has never heard of a 'bumpershooter'.  According to Wiktionary, it is an American word associated with British umbrellas.  The standard British slang is 'brolly'.  This Slate article has more on it.

It sounds a bit like 'English Breakfast Tea' which is an American coinage (now used here too) used to make a blend of tea sound traditional.

• Like 2

My youngest, born and raised for 14 years in Texas, regularly gets questions about her accent. British and Australian are regular guesses. She does have a strange accent, but it doesn't come from any of her family or friends.

I've wondered if her early speech therapy is responsible. I'm pretty sure her speech therapist as all Texan too though!

Wales. I've never even been to Wales. But I think it's because my Swedish causes me to "sing" even in English :lol:  Having lived in Sweden, PA, Edinburgh, Leeds, South Coast of England and NC I do have a VERY odd English accent though. In Swedish no one can pin point my accent unless I say some tell tale words (I am sure it will change in the next few months when I move back to the county of my birth which has a VERY distinctive accent, where those tell tale words comes from)

• Like 1

I never had a weird guess. When I first moved in my early 20s people asked if I was from NY which was pretty close. Nobody guesses where I am from anymore. I lost my accent and live in an area without a strong accent. I still use the terms and pronounce a handful of words in a way that is unique to the area I grew up in and those online quizzes peg me but in every day conversation I do not have a strong accent anymore. I hear the accent as soon as we are visiting where we came from and it is interesting to think I used to have that accent. There are still traces I am sure but it is not obvious.

In English I have a hybrid accent right now. Originally from Spain, twelve years in the UK, ten on the East Coast and six on the West Coast. I still listen regularly to the BBC world service and I am in close touch with South Asian English speakers. I mix a lot of pronunciations and words from all areas so most people are just right down confused and don't offer any guesses. They hear some British influences but not quite and can't place it at all so they just ask me out right.

In Spanish, some people recognize my Spanish accent, some others have ventured Argentina.

In Italian, one upon a time when I was still fluent, Italians would think I was Italian but couldn't pinpoint my accent. This was I think due to the varied origins of my many conversation partners, ranging from Milano all the way down to Sicily.

In English I have a hybrid accent right now. Originally from Spain, twelve years in the UK, ten on the East Coast and six on the West Coast. I still listen regularly to the BBC world service and I am in close touch with South Asian English speakers. I mix a lot of pronunciations and words from all areas so most people are just right down confused and don't offer any guesses. They hear some British influences but not quite and can't place it at all so they just ask me out right.

Yes, most people just ask outright, but sometimes I make them guess before answering (or sometimes after answering I might ask what they thought).