Menu

s/o What is "American" Culture?

mommaduck

We are a melting pot of cultures, but there are those that hold that there is an American Culture and they have specific views on what that means. Do different people that feel strongly that there is an American Culture agree on what those things or is there variance? I have heard more than one view of Southern Culture the past few weeks and Midwest Culture, etc. I know my neighbour has strong views as to what is American Culture (and homeschooling is anti-American, in her view, where public education is as American and Patriotic as you can get). As a military BRAT, I get this and I don't get this. I look at it, get a feeling, but also see a paradox of idealisms and realities.

And, yes, this is a spin-off.

Another family conversation? 

(Teasing you, my friend!  :D )

The best that I can describe "American culture" is the freedom to call everything wrong simultaneously with the freedom to call everything right.  In other words, Chaos of Customs.  There is regionalism, and there is "fusion" (to use the cooking term).  At its worst, American culture is the insistence that "We are right, and every other country is either inferior, or just flatly wrong."  

At my house, we have had conversations that the "melting pot" has been passing out of existence, to be replaced with the "bag of impermeable marbles".   

• Like 3

Ooh, this promises to be a good conversation!

As distinctly different as our regions are, I do think there are a few traits that loosely hold us together.

Americans, as a whole, step up to help in times of need. We give freely and hugely after disasters domestic and international.

We are open. We smile at each other, we say hello. We make eye contact. We are, as a whole, a friendly people.

We give personal space in public areas. We do not shove into each other as we cross a street or navigate a crowd. We give many inches between when we hold a conversation.

These are just a few things that I am distinctly aware of when traveling, or when I've lived in another country and found them missing. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more thoughts and views on this subject!

• Like 3

See, I've lived in areas of the US where that is true and areas where it is completely the opposite.

I have too. But when I'm out of the country those are things that I notice as being very different. It's hard to generalize, though, when talking about Americans! :)

• Like 2

I have too. But when I'm out of the country those are things that I notice as being very different. It's hard to generalize, though, when talking about Americans! :)

And see, that's my point. Someone on another thread said "But OUR culture, MY culture, as Americans, was clearly and absolutely based on Christian values..." They considered it an absolute and singular in nature. Is it, isn't it, or is the fact that it isn't part of what makes it as it is singularly? One person can relate to that as being THEIR American cultural experience, where another would not. See my meaning? 

• Like 2

I would say, yes, while it is hard to generalize about Americans, I do see some things as being distinctly American culture, and not all of them are positive imo.

Americans are generally casual. Speech and manners are casual, clothing is casual, hair styles are casual. Americans are willing to "let it all hang out" in general. I think the pursuit of more and bigger is more American than other cultures; this is one of the things I don't like about overall American experience. Sure, have the giant shrimp platter. Get dessert, too. Have three beers. I don't think other countries do this so much, though I can't say from anything but general impression.

I do think, within the US, there are still regional tendencies, and I am one of the posters who sees the south as having cultural differences from the north (or mid, where I am). Northeast = no patience at all; Texas= "We got all day, man, hold your horses.";) California=building collapses in a quake; "Dude!"

• Like 8

I live in an area that gets a lot of tourists, and it is interesting to "people watch" and guess where they are from. There is definitely an identifiable "American culture" that differentiates Americans. How they dress, what they eat, tone and volume in speaking (not just accent) are generally similar among the Americans that travel here.

• Like 6

I would say American culture is its diversity. America, as a whole, I believe is more diverse than most other nations. I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong however. The one thing that has always struck me when visiting other places is the lack of diversity. So for me, America is diversity.

• Like 4

I would say, yes, while it is hard to generalize about Americans, I do see some things as being distinctly American culture, and not all of them are positive imo.

Americans are generally casual. Speech and manners are casual, clothing is casual, hair styles are casual. Americans are willing to "let it all hang out" in general. I think the pursuit of more and bigger is more American than other cultures; this is one of the things I don't like about overall American experience. Sure, have the giant shrimp platter. Get dessert, too. Have three beers. I don't think other countries do this so much, though I can't say from anything but general impression.

I do think, within the US, there are still regional tendencies, and I am one of the posters who sees the south as having cultural differences from the north (or mid, where I am). Northeast = no patience at all; Texas= "We got all day, man, hold your horses.";) California=building collapses in a quake; "Dude!"

LMAO...oh I could tell a few stories.

:lol:

• Like 1

I live in an area that gets a lot of tourists, and it is interesting to "people watch" and guess where they are from. There is definitely an identifiable "American culture" that differentiates Americans. How they dress, what they eat, tone and volume in speaking (not just accent) are generally similar among the Americans that travel here.

Do share, please! :)

• Like 2

I would say American culture is its diversity. America, as a whole, I believe is more diverse than most other nations. I am happy to be correct if I am wrong however. The one thing that has always struck me when visiting other places is the lack of diversity. So for me, America is diversity.

You've got a different kind of diversity to what we have here.

• Like 3

And see, that's my point. Someone on another thread said "But OUR culture, MY culture, as Americans, was clearly and absolutely based on Christian values..." They considered it an absolute and singular in nature. Is it, isn't it, or is the fact that it isn't part of what makes it as it is singularly? One person can relate to that as being THEIR American cultural experience, where another would not. See my meaning?

Yeah, no I don't agree with that sentiment. I think there are reasons why we are easy enough to spot on the streets of Paris, say, but a singular culture? No way. This board alone is proof of that. :)

• Like 2

Another family conversation?

(Teasing you, my friend! :D )

The best that I can describe "American culture" is the freedom to call everything wrong simultaneously with the freedom to call everything right. In other words, Chaos of Customs. There is regionalism, and there is "fusion" (to use the cooking term). At its worst, American culture is the insistence that "We are right, and every other country is either inferior, or just flatly wrong."

At my house, we have had conversations that the "melting pot" has been passing out of existence, to be replaced with the "bag of impermeable marbles".

I had a college teacher nearly 20 years ago that insisted America stopped being a melting pot, if it ever really was, towards the end of the Cold War and is actually a salad. Altogether in the bowl, but very distinctly unique and independent cultures within it combining to make America.

• Like 6

Yeah, no I don't agree with that sentiment. I think there are reasons why we are easy enough to spot on the streets of Paris, say, but a singular culture? No way. This board alone is proof of that. :)

Are you saying that there can't be diversity within a culture?

ETA: just realized that since my tone was not conveyed along with those words, I need to explain that I didn't mean that in a snarky way at all, but as a sincere question. I don't think the idea of culture precludes diversity of thought or behaviors. But I have heard others say that America is too diverse to have a culture. I guess I'm just wondering where we draw the line to delineate what is "too diverse".

• Like 1

I'll play.

American culture is: brash, voyeuristic, individualistic, inward-focused, casual, and self-indulgent.

On the flip side, American culture is also: bold, innovative, daring, proud, and sincere.

Also, because I'm not sure which list to put it on, America is a religious country.  I am specifically thinking about how religion enters into the political arena in a very different way than it does in other Western countries I am familiar with.

• Like 13

Are you saying that there can't be diversity within a culture?

ETA: just realized that since my tone was not conveyed along with those words, I need to explain that I didn't mean that in a snarky way at all, but as a sincere question. I don't think the idea of culture precludes diversity of thought or behaviors. But I have heard others say that America is too diverse to have a culture. I guess I'm just wondering where we draw the line to delineate what is "too diverse".

No, I'm not saying there can't be diversity. I agree that there are some things that uniquely present us as Americans on the world stage, but I think they are subtle. I wouldn't presume to know where to draw the line. :)

But I also don't see this country as having a strong singular culture. I think the glue that binds us together is pretty thin, and perhaps accidental. I am under no assumption that the 50 states will remain united in my lifetime, nor do I feel we will necessarily be poorer for it. I don't really see us as a melting pot, as that would indicate a common vision.

• Like 3

Maybe, but I don't think I've ever been spotted.

I was walking through a train station in Sydney once, and when I walked by two young men, one of them looked at me and said, "Yank" (i.e., American) to the other. I still don't know what gave me away, as I hadn't said anything and wasn't dressed any particular way. I don't think my look screamed tourist, as I was living there at the time and usually blended in easily.

• Like 1

I think that American Culture could be defined as the "common denominator"  -- the ideals/traits that most Americans hold.

The common denominator, however, is shrinking.  Some see this as a good thing; others see this as a bad thing.

• Like 1

As far as different cultures within the U.S.,  I think of a Venn diagram.  There are going to be some characteristics that are (more or less) common across the country; i.e. "American Culture".

Then there are going to be subsets of traits that would be common in one region of the country, but not necessarily in others.

• Like 2

I think that American Culture could be defined as the "common denominator" -- the ideals/traits that most Americans hold.

The common denominator, however, is shrinking. Some see this as a good thing; others see this as a bad thing.

What kinds of ideals or traits do you think those are?

I'm curious, because things that seem like they should be so obviously American to me, aren't to everyone (ahem, yesterday's ruling). The more diverse viewpoints I hear, the less convinced I am that there are--or ever were--common ideals.

• Like 1

I'll play.

American culture is: brash, voyeuristic, individualistic, inward-focused, casual, and self-indulgent.

On the flip side, American culture is also: bold, innovative, daring, proud, and sincere.

Also, because I'm not sure which list to put it on, America is a religious country.  I am specifically thinking about how religion enters into the political arena in a very different way than it does in other Western countries I am familiar with.

I agree, though I really don't know what you mean by "flip side."  Are some of these negative and others positive? Individualistic goes right to the heart of the American government, individual freedoms and rights. It's unique to most other countries in the world. 

• Like 3

I was walking through a train station in Sydney once, and when I walked by two young men, one of them looked at me and said, "Yank" (i.e., American) to the other. I still don't know what gave me away, as I hadn't said anything and wasn't dressed any particular way. I don't think my look screamed tourist, as I was living there at the time and usually blended in easily.

It was probably body language.  I can mostly spot Americans among the students at the local university, even when they are wearing pretty much the same as the local students.  In very general terms it's a more expansive style: larger gestures, more smiles, a more spacious walk.

• Like 7

I'll play.

Also, because I'm not sure which list to put it on, America is a religious country. I am specifically thinking about how religion enters into the political arena in a very different way than it does in other Western countries I am familiar with.

I would add: hearty, unsophisticated, opinionated, stubborn, curious, defensive, loud, amusing and fun.
  • Like 5

We're often mistaken for Canadians when we travel.  When we delve into it further (which is, always :lol: ) we're told that we're too laid back to be Americans.  Tone/volume, expectations of service, "speed," and criticism are missing.

It's often made me wonder how many other Americans are classified incorrectly due to the stereotype.  We're also aware that stereotypes often exist for a reason - not necessarily "the most met," but the "most memorable."

Other nationalities get stereotyped too, of course.  It's not just Americans.  I don't want to share too much of what we've heard as it would undoubtedly step on toes.  I think anywhere that tourists are common, those who work with tourists have their impressions.  These folks are almost always interesting to talk with. ;)

• Like 5

No, I'm not saying there can't be diversity. I agree that there are some things that uniquely present us as Americans on the world stage, but I think they are subtle. I wouldn't presume to know where to draw the line. :)

But I also don't see this country as having a strong singular culture. I think the glue that binds us together is pretty thin, and perhaps accidental. I am under no assumption that the 50 states will remain united in my lifetime, nor do I feel we will necessarily be poorer for it. I don't really see us as a melting pot, as that would indicate a common vision.

Thanks, that's interesting. I've never lived outside of the U.S. (though I would love to have that opportunity) so I think it's hard in some ways to judge a culture from within it. I grew up in OK and lived a little while in TX, and when I moved to upstate NY I was pretty shocked by how different it was. But for non-Americans, would the average Texan and the average New Yorker seem a lot more like each other than either one of them does to the non-American? Would they both give off a distinctly American vibe? If so, then I'm willing to say that America has a singular culture, though I believe that those outside of that culture can probably do a better job of defining or describing it than I can.

• Like 6

Thanks, that's interesting. I've never lived outside of the U.S. (though I would love to have that opportunity) so I think it's hard in some ways to judge a culture from within it. I grew up in OK and lived a little while in TX, and when I moved to upstate NY I was pretty shocked by how different it was. But for non-Americans, would the average Texan and the average New Yorker seem a lot more like each other than either one of them does to the non-American? Would they both give off a distinctly American vibe? If so, then I'm willing to say that America has a singular culture, though I believe that those outside of that culture can probably do a better job of defining or describing it than I can.

Hmm, interesting. Not sure if they could do a better job defining it or reinforcing stereotypes?

(I have no idea where to draw the line between those two, either!)

• Like 2

I'll play.

Also, because I'm not sure which list to put it on, America is a religious country. I am specifically thinking about how religion enters into the political arena in a very different way than it does in other Western countries I am familiar with.

This is a pretty good description.

Truthfully something like culture is difficult to pin down, but clearer from the outside than the inside. As an expat American growing up around the world, American culture stood out to me for its brashness and self-confidence.

• Like 3

Yes, both the Texan and the New Yorker will have a lot in common from the outsider's perspective. Because their differences are smaller than the differences between either and a Frenchman, Spaniard, Korean, or Englishman.

• Like 4

It was probably body language. I can mostly spot Americans among the students at the local university, even when they are wearing pretty much the same as the local students. In very general terms it's a more expansive style: larger gestures, more smiles, a more spacious walk.

That's fascinating. I had no idea! :) When we were planning our trip to London, we asked a friend here who has a lot of experience travelling there for advice on how to dress so as not to scream "American tourists!!!" He said there was basically nothing we could do, everyone was going to know instantly that we're Americans, so just relax and don't worry about it.

What's funny to me, though, is that I don't think the reverse is true. I don't think that most Americans would be able to identify a tourist from the UK by any means except the accent. (Fellow Americans, please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe it's just me who is oblivious! :lol:)

So, are Americans less aware of other cultures than other cultures are of us? I suspect that we are. I remember noting during my brief time in London how much more global the television news was. And people that we interacted with could identify what region of the US I'm from after hearing me speak a single sentence. I can distinguish a London accent from a Sheffield one, but that's about it, and it takes me more than one sentence!

• Like 2

Yes, both the Texan and the New Yorker will have a lot in common from the outsider's perspective. Because their differences are smaller than the differences between either and a Frenchman, Spaniard, Korean, or Englishman.

Thanks, I certainly suspected that would be the case!

When my husband was in the navy and his ship would pull into port, he and a friend would wait to see which direction the mass of sailors from all parts of the U.S. would head (to the places that cater to Americans.)Then, they would go in the opposite direction. They usually had a more authentic experience and a better response from the locals.

Having lived overseas, I would say this is typical American behavior, in part because most Americans have no experience beyond their own borders and are uncomfortable in unfamiliar situations. They are also easily flustered if they think someone might be judging them based on their naïveté. The ones that can laugh at themselves and show a willingness to learn from the locals find themselves adapting much quicker and enjoying themselves more.

I'm reminded of the time a friend and I went to a Sicilian market. She wanted 1 tomato. The vendor, with a truck full of tomatoes was incredulous. He sold tomatoes by the kilo or half kilo. She wanted one. After arguing with her for a few minutes, he sold her one for the price of a whole kilo. She was happy, he thought she was a lunatic. I bought half a kilo for less than she had paid. Also, can't tell you how many times I heard Americans become angry because a local didn't understand English.

• Like 4

My dh shocks people on his business trips out of the country when they find out he is American, and Texan no less.

Yes, he is a very laid back, don't go to the American hang outs but instead find the nearest guy with a grandma and get an invitation to real food kind of guy. Or spazzing out about a kiss on the cheek or a hug. Personal space for him is less absolute. He shows up and sees everyone doing that and rolls with it. All his American coworkers send a distinct recoil vibe even if they don't actually say or do anything.

My dh wants us to move out of states something fierce, or at least to Texas. ;p

But alas, roots and income are here.

• Like 1

Having moved around a whole lot (Dh is in the Air Force) its interesting to me that some of your descriptions remind me of very specific locations in the US we've lived in, but not true in a general way, in my experience. I never really thought about it till now. I asked dh this question and he said to ask people who live in other countries for a more accurate description lol. Because when he travels abroad he hears Amercians are arrogant, have a sense of entitlement, are loud, presumptuous, proud, but also courageous, and strong. He often tries not to outwardly identify himself as American AT FIRST when in another country, when he's not in uniform, because he has found he is more accepted and has a more authentic experience in his down time. Eventually it becomes obvious and/or he reveals it but by then others are at ease. He's had several verbal confrontations in which he's taken the high road on when he's abroad (strangers in a restaurant, on the street, etc.) He gets a strong feeling that Americans aren't all that appreciated elsewhere. He thinks its because we are seen in this larger than life, almost brash kind of way. Lol. We have friends in Turkey that are especially finding that to be true. I wish they could see some of the traits/culture I grew up surrounded with in the South: kind, hospitable, generous, sweet, strong, capable, considerate, laid waaaay back, fun..etc. I live in Montana now and here its just....cowboy...lol. Which is the epitome of tough, capable, aloof, true, direct, content. I could never encapsulate a description of the entire country into one description of its culture. Every region we've been in has seemed to be unique enough to get its own description of culture.

I know I've rambled here...just thinking out loud... Lol

• Like 2