Menu

Your favorite recipe for salmon (filets)?

6packofun

I can broil or grill or saute...just need a good recipe!  It seems like every time I do a marinade, the flavor really doesn't get INTO the salmon at all like it will with chicken.  I've got a nice big filet for tonight and don't know what to do with it because I still don't have a "go to" recipe that wows us.

We just grill it and put a little lemon juice on it. My favorite way to have salmon...the salmon soaked up a delicious amount of smokiness..

I've had salmon with a pesto sauce on it--put on after the salmon was oven cooked. It was wonderful. I must try to replicate that...

• Like 2

Often, we do salmon-easy-bake:   salmon filet wrapped in foil with a spoon of mayo and a dash of mustard mixed together and smeared on top.  Comes out very moist and salmon-flavored.

Here's my favorite grill-style.  I'm sure I stole this recipe from someone famous who can actually cook well - probably food network.

Sauce - 1/4 cup Honey, 1 TBSP Worchester Sauce (I think the original used soy sauce), dash of salt and pepper, mix well.  Taste it - sometimes I have to add a bit more of one ingredient or the other so it tastes good.

Cut slits about an inch apart in the skin side of the salmon if it has skin on.  Salt and pepper both side lightly.

grill skin side UP for a few minutes.  Flip fish.  Slather on sauce slowly so it crusts up a bit,  Cook a few more minutes to get those nice sear marks.

• Like 3

I love blackened salmon burgers. Basically you season the salmon with cajun style seasoning and salt. (You can google and mix one up from what you have in the pantry). Heat the oil till very hot in the pan. Lay the salmon skin side up in the oil for a couple of min to sear that side, then turn and cook the rest of the way skin side down. Usually only about 3 more min or so, depends on how thick the fillet is  (check with a fork or something). Then take out of pan and let it rest for 5 min. Meanwhile prepare a bun with any fixings you like. Add the fish to the bun and eat! Yum!

Another favorite is marinate and bake/grill on a cedar plank that you soaked in water for several hours. Serve with salad.

And lastly...Asian style. Make an Asian style sauce with soy, fish sauce, sweet chili sauce, and lime juice. Place individual servings of salmon on pieces of parchment paper, pour some sauce over the top of each, add some thinly sliced scallions over that and then fold up the papers to make a parcels. Place the parcels on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven till done and serve over rice.

• Like 1

Hah! Remember what I said about horseradish? I'm prepping the salmon, and older kiddo goes "Don't put too much horseradish on mine" so I said that I hadn't gotten any horseradish this time around, since I'm the only one who likes the stuff. "Oh. But I like it now!"

Annoying little twerp!

• Like 2

I often marinade it with a mix of apple juice, apple butter (if I have it), maple syrup, and mustard. It's amazing that way, sweet but tangy. That's my husband's favorite. 

Another choice is to wrap it in bacon and pan fry it...we had this somewhere as a salmon BLT. My less mess way to replicate that is to lay some bacon on top of the salmon as i bake it. 

• Like 1

We just had salmon tonight so I thought I'd share our family's favorite recipe.  This recipe works well for frozen salmon I buy at Aldi (and thaw first, of course):

Baked Salmon

I got this recipe from Quick Cooking magazine, where it was called “Pecan-Crusted Salmon†but when I make it, I don’t use the pecans.  I also downsized the remaining ingredients to reduce waste and limit sugar. This recipe was one of the first fish recipes that my children liked (probably because of the sugar), but that has made it a “gateway recipe†to them eating more fish. 

Ingredients (Ingredients in parenthesis are from original recipe, but I use the non-parenthetical ingredients)

·         1 pound salmon fillet cut into about 4 portions (4 salmon fillets about 6 oz. each)

·         Milk- enough to cover fillets in a pan or plastic bag (2 cups milk)

·         (1 cup finely chopped pecans)

·         ¼ cup all-purpose flour ( ½  cup flour)

·         2 Tbsp. brown sugar ( ¼  cup brown sugar)

·         1 tsp. seasoned salt (2 tsp. seasoned salt)

·         1 tsp. black pepper (2 tsp. black pepper)

·         Vegetable oil (3 Tbsp. vegetable oil)

Place salmon fillets in a large resealable plastic bag (or a covered dish) and add milk to cover fillets. Let stand for 10 minutes and then drain.  Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine remaining ingredients except oil.  Coat fillets with the mixture, gently pressing into the fish.

In a large skillet, brown salmon in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

• Like 1

Marinated in teriyaki sauce and brown sugar. Covers more of the salmon taste than I like, but it's fun for a change.

I do something similar to this. Teryaki Sauce, chopped ginger, a little brown sugar if you like, sea salt, wrap in foil and bake in oven for about 17-20 minutes at F280.

I love salmon by itself. Grilled or pan-seared, with a little lemon or a teriyaki marinade. I like the leftovers cold with a little salt and a fork. I believe in buying the good, wild-caught stuff and doing very little to it. Sometimes I like a little dill sauce with it. Once DH tried to put tartar sauce on my lovely salmon and I threatened him with a fork.

• Like 2

oh thank you for this thread. My son and husband went Salmon fishing and we have a freezer full but I was not sure what to do to it other than grill or bake with basic salt and pepper. I am going to try all of these in the coming days.