Menu

Exercise after being inactive/sitting for 8 years?

Mandylubug

My mom has just retired. She was basically chained to a desk and required to sit for 8 hours a day for 8 years. Due to her commute distance, she never had the time to truly get any exercise in. Not even during lunch or breaks. Her job was horrible. I am in awe of someone strong enough to endure the abusive nature of the data entry job she held for so long. 

So, she is home now and trying to improve her health but she has me worried. She isn't horribly over weight and 60 years old. She is about 185 to 195 pounds and about 5' 6". What concerns me is she is really sore in her lower abdomen after even standing or walking for prolonged times. She did a "walk away the pounds" one mile walk video and was sore for 3 days afterwards. She gets tired after an hour of shopping and is exhausted by the time she makes it home. 

I have pushed her to see a dr to get cleared for exercise but she refuses since their deductible is so high with no preventative care currently. She does own a treadmill. I had suggested she just walk more often currently. The soreness in the lower abdomin muscles just seems odd to me but perhaps it is normal for being stuck in a chair for so long?

• Like 1

Yes it's normal. She's been sitting for too long, all of those muscles are so weak. I would walk every other day and do yoga every other day to build strength.

I agree that she needs to go to the doctor, but if she won't that's what I would do.

• Like 5

yoga (there are dvd's for "inflexible" people for an easy start.  there's even "chair yoga"_

walking

tai chi  (my mother's retirement living facility had an instructor come 3x per week.)

swimming

pilates

elastic bands (they really can build muscle.)

our local ballet company now has a class for older adults who always wanted to learn . . starts easy.

• Like 1

Start slow and build up. The amount of pain does sound normal based on what she did being out of shape.  A mile is actually quite a bit to walk for someone not used to walking much.

Tai chi is awesome.  It's very gentle, but surprisingly it really does help with soreness and various aches and pains. 

• Like 2

Start more slowly----like a 1/2 mile walk at a slower pace.  Do this 1-2 times a day if possible.  Maybe a DVD with some very light hand weights.  Jane Fonda has some for older people that are much more doable.  Even if she does just the 5 minute warm up for a week, then 10 minutes the next week, etc. and works up to the full 20 minutes.

Are you sure her insurance doesn't cover a yearly physical with no deductible?  I thought most/all health plans had to cover that under the new health care act.

• Like 3

Start more slowly----like a 1/2 mile walk at a slower pace. Do this 1-2 times a day if possible. Maybe a DVD with some very light hand weights. Jane Fonda has some for older people that are much more doable. Even if she does just the 5 minute warm up for a week, then 10 minutes the next week, etc. and works up to the full 20 minutes.

Are you sure her insurance doesn't cover a yearly physical with no deductible? I thought most/all health plans had to cover that under the new health care act.

She may have just already used her well check for the year. I had just stated to her she needed to consult her dr about the abdominal pain and asked if she had already done so. Her reply was no. I pushed that I thought she should go and discuss it and she expressed concern of deductible. I know she had blood work and a physical in November or December. Could be she is just waiting till next well check/follow up for prescription refills.

She can literally start with one minute every day and add a minute a week. If she does that, she will be up to 52 minutes by the end of the year.

I agree that one mile is a lot after nothing for eight years.

Starting small really does work. She won't lose weight quickly but she will very slowly and she will also benefit in other ways. 

Encourage her to take classes at parks and rec as well. Maybe a swimming class. They are usually nice there. Very low-pressure. Lots and lots and lots of people with a myriad of health issues take classes there, but they have community. During my kids' swim there was a water aerobic's class. Seriously, there were so many different shapes, sizes, ages and abilities there. One woman could do nothing but stand and just move her arms back and forth, I think due to sensory issues, but she'd worked up to that over a period of years.

ETA: And you know what else? Most people don't even do 20 weeks. So let's say she stars in July. If she just works up to Christmas, starting at only one minute per day, for seven days, then adding a minute every seven days, by Christmas she will be doing more activity than the majority of Americans. Okay, that's a little sad, but it's true. It will be about 25 minutes of walking per day. That is AWESOME. And that is just after six months!

• Like 8

Start slow and build up. The amount of pain does sound normal based on what she did being out of shape.  A mile is actually quite a bit to walk for someone not used to walking much.

Tai chi is awesome.  It's very gentle, but surprisingly it really does help with soreness and various aches and pains. 

:iagree:

I love Tai Chi.  Just like Sparkly said, it's gentle and relaxing; yet it strengthens and stretches.  

I haven't mentioned this on the board before, but I have rheumatoid arthritis.  Tai Chi is the perfect exercise for me.

I did Tai Chi all through my pregnancy with dd7, up until the week she was born.  After the baby was born, my o.b. said no exercise for 6 weeks.  I told her it was Tai Chi.  She said to give it two weeks.  

I've also done a walking video.  She should probably ease into this.  Maybe only 10 min. to start out with instead of the full mile.  Good for her for trying, though.

And water aerobics once she gets her stamina built up.

• Like 3

Oh, and three days' soreness, while no fun, is normal for me, a healthy, generally active person in my late 30s. Chalene Johnson of ChaLean Extreme (not recommending it for your mom quite yet) said she is sore every time she starts a new workout. She's been a fitness trainer for decades. So, yeah. Tell mom that you empathize but that's not a reason to stop!

• Like 2

She might want to look into her local YMCA.  My network of Y's offers all kinds of gentle exercise classes - Tai Chi, Yoga, Water Aerobics, all kinds of "Silver Sneakers" classes for the retired crowd, and even Line Dancing!  The participants are friendly and welcoming, and span all ages and abilities.  Most importantly, by going somewhere like the Y, she can begin to build a community of friends and acquaintances - "active older adults" - who have physical health and exercise as their goal.  It's always easier to go to a challenging class if you know that when you get there, your friends will welcome you with "Hello!"s and hugs.  

She needs to hear that sore is normal for going from nothing to moving. I look at sore as evidence that my muscles are toning and my body's getting stronger and slimmer.

She also needs to make sure she drinks tons of water to wash the lactic acid from her muscles.

She does not need to wake up and sit around on days that she's sore. The worst thing she can do is lie around on a sore day. Getting moving a little the next day will work the soreness out.

ITA that she needs to stsart small. 5 minutes a day for a day or two, then 7 minutes a day for another day or two, and slowly work up.

• Like 8

Something gentle she could do at home if she sits on a computer is to use a yoga ball as a chair. That will gently strengthen core muscles. It can be good for yoga stretching too. I think walking and yoga sound good. Water workout sounds good tooo.

Can she go to a gym and do water aerobics? She sounds like the build of many of the people I have seen doing that sort of exercise. It would help her build strength without taxing out-of-shape joints.

Emily

This is a great idea as the water will support her ab muscles some as she builds strength and endurance. She will still be tired afterwards though.

There is a great video called Chair Dancing that has exercise you can do sitting on a straight chair.  That might be an easier thing to start with since she is so used to sitting.  Also, if she concentrates on holding her stomach in whenever she is upright, she will gently strengthen those core muscles, and when she starts walking a little more she will not be as sore.  I agree with the 'one minute more per day' recommendation, as well as the water aerobics.

• Like 1

Ooo, yes to the Y!!!  Their programs are fabulous.  Also, I was having pain like that, and I, ahem, went to a PT for a few sessions.  She said there's this progression of pelvic floor, abdomen, back, where one thing weak makes the domino effect happen.  She had this way for me to work on my tummy where, you really won't believe it, you like ON YOUR STOMACH and suck in then move your belly button up toward your ribs.  Hold for 10, release.  Repeat 10-20 times.  Tightens your tummy like situps but isn't sit-ups!!  That was targeting the specific muscle I needed, and obviously there are tons.  

If she can *afford* PT, a few sessions might get her on track.  If no, try the Y and a wellness consult to let them suggest.  The water classes would be good.  I didn't realize this but simply being in the water gives you 12 pounds of resistance all around, meaning your whole body is getting a toning workout.  The lady said to start low, with 10 minutes of water walking using a belt, then just stop and get out.  Gradually build up.  Or go into the water aerobics classes and make it a social thing.  The ladies at our Y (all retired) really enjoy it.  I watch them while my ds gets his lessons.  :)

• Like 1