Menu

What grade do schools teach division?

My ds will be going to private school next year and he will be in 4th grade.  We've always used MUS so he only did multiplication in 3rd grade, no division yet.  When do most schools teach division?

3rd grade. From the Common Core Standards for Grade 3:

Represent and solve problems involving multiplication and division.
CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.1

Interpret products of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 5 × 7 as the total number of objects in 5 groups of 7 objects each. For example, describe a context in which a total number of objects can be expressed as 5 × 7.

CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.2

Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 56 ÷ 8 as the number of objects in each share when 56 objects are partitioned equally into 8 shares, or as a number of shares when 56 objects are partitioned into equal shares of 8 objects each. For example, describe a context in which a number of shares or a number of groups can be expressed as 56 ÷ 8.

CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.3

Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.1

CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.A.4

Determine the unknown whole number in a multiplication or division equation relating three whole numbers. For example, determine the unknown number that makes the equation true in each of the equations 8 × ? = 48, 5 = _ ÷ 3, 6 × 6 = ?

Understand properties of multiplication and the relationship between multiplication and division.
CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.B.5

Apply properties of operations as strategies to multiply and divide.2Examples: If 6 × 4 = 24 is known, then 4 × 6 = 24 is also known. (Commutative property of multiplication.) 3 × 5 × 2 can be found by 3 × 5 = 15, then 15 × 2 = 30, or by 5 × 2 = 10, then 3 × 10 = 30. (Associative property of multiplication.) Knowing that 8 × 5 = 40 and 8 × 2 = 16, one can find 8 × 7 as 8 × (5 + 2) = (8 × 5) + (8 × 2) = 40 + 16 = 56. (Distributive property.)

CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.B.6

Understand division as an unknown-factor problem. For example, find 32 ÷ 8 by finding the number that makes 32 when multiplied by 8.

Multiply and divide within 100.
CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.C.7

Fluently multiply and divide within 100, using strategies such as the relationship between multiplication and division (e.g., knowing that 8 × 5 = 40, one knows 40 ÷ 5 = 8) or properties of operations. By the end of Grade 3, know from memory all products of two one-digit numbers.

Solve problems involving the four operations, and identify and explain patterns in arithmetic.
CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.D.8

Solve two-step word problems using the four operations. Represent these problems using equations with a letter standing for the unknown quantity. Assess the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies including rounding.3

CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.D.9

Identify arithmetic patterns (including patterns in the addition table or multiplication table), and explain them using properties of operations. For example, observe that 4 times a number is always even, and explain why 4 times a number can be decomposed into two equal addends

• Like 1

3rd grade conceptually, aka being introduced to the concept of division and how it works, and 4th grade for consistently being able to do it, aka memorizing their "facts".  

That was the standard here both before and after CC came through.  

• Like 1

Since your DC will be in private school, it really depends on what curriculum it uses. Please correct me if needed but I believe that private schools that don't have federal funding are not bound to the common core. DD's private school uses MIF and division by 2,3,4,5,10 is introduced in second grade and explored in more depth in third grade.

Singapore starts division when they do multiplication. We have just hit long division in grade 3. My ds is ok with it conceptually but struggles to write it out right and get all of it together. That said it is only with numbers up to 5 as the 6-9 times tables are covered later in the year.

I work in a third grade classroom. They use envision as their curriculum and division gets introduced in third grade, shortly after multiplication. There are some times tests and facts should be somewhat memorized. I do believe that they will revisit the concept in fourth though. Long division is not covered in third at my school.

If your son did fairly well with MUS, he should easily be able to see how multiplication and division relate to each other. Practice a bit with the blocks during the summer and he should be fine.

My kids learned it in third grade.  They used envision too.

They re-do it in fourth, but I'd want to introduce him to it over the summer.

Maybe do some Khan Academy videos and some simple worksheets.

I think (but I'm not sure) that third grade division did not involve remainders, but I could be wrong. I can ask my kids when they get home, if you'd like.

download Times Attack and have him play (they do division now as well)-- at least he will have his "facts" down and only have to catch up on the long division stuff (if the school is ahead of your schedule)   -- you could also order MUS delta and start it over the summer and continue to after school with it throughout the year

3rd for me, 3rd for my kids. Both of them could do it in 1st, though, simply. They got the concept but mental math with large numbers was not something they were interested in spending time on.

Singapore begins to introduce the idea of grouping in 1B but it is not the kind of division that most would recognize. It's spiraling in the concept. In that respect my children's public school textbooks "introduce" multiplication and division in 1st grade, definitely. They also "introduce" fractions. It's an introduction to concepts, though, not really beginning to operationalize that knowledge.

I assume we're talking rows and columns, "If there are three people and they all have the same number of apples, and there are twelve apples, how many do they have between them?"

That would be 1st / 2nd at a first glance, but in 3rd is when you are going to learn it whether you like it or not. :) And you're going to learn it up to at least 99 and have the facts memorized.