Menu

Limited ingredients, no oven - menu suggestions!

YaelAldrich

We're (a family of six, including one teen, two tweens and a young child) in Tokyo for the summer with a more or less functional kitchen but no oven, not even a toaster oven.  I don't want to buy one for such a short period of time.  

We keep kosher which means our choices are even fewer here as the amount of kosher foods are much smaller.  I brought feta, cheddar, shredded mozzarella cheeses.  I have two containers of plain, full fat yogurt.  I have pinto beans, kidney beans ( which are reserved for red beans and rice once or twice a week), garbanzos, and lentils and I can get red lentils relatively easily.  I have spices for Mexican, Cajun, some Indian spices.  I have flour tortillas.  I brought soup bones with meat, soup bones without meat, chicken enough for a meal, enough beef to make bulgogi (a Korean dish) once, sausages for the red beans and rice. We have access to basic baking things, rice,eggs and most fruits and veggies, canned tomatoes, mayo/mustard/ketchup.  We don't eat dairy that often for dinner (DH is lactose intolerant).  I can buy bread but the supply is inconsistent.  I can buy more chicken but at about $40 US a chicken we don't indulge that much.

My husband can get some refills at the end of June and I intend to ask him for cheeses (that the kids eat for lunch) and refill foods at Trader Joe's.

I have made skillet pizzas, pintos and rice, red beans and rice and I am contemplating making Indian chickpeas tonight.  I don't need lots of variety but some might be nice!  Suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Look up Indian daal (lentil) chawal (rice) recipes. You basically make a thick lentil soup (red or yellow lentils) with spices and pour it over rice. Basmati rice is traditional but any white rice works.

Shakshuka is super yummy. Here's my favorite recipe. Without the peppers it still works fine. You can leave a portion without feta for your husband.

• Like 3

Look up Indian daal (lentil) chawal (rice) recipes. You basically make a thick lentil soup (red or yellow lentils) with spices and pour it over rice. Basmati rice is traditional but any white rice works.

Shakshuka is super yummy. Here's my favorite recipe. Without the peppers it still works fine. You can leave a portion without feta for your husband.

Thank you - we do make dahl, just not yet.  It's on my list to make soon.

Most of my family eats shakshuka, but they are picky about the sauce.  I have to get the recipe from my friend. Never had it with feta though!

If we eat eggs, it takes about 40000000 to feed the family!  :)

• Like 1

Can you repurpose some of those items into different meals?  If you tire of red beans and rice, can you change them into burritos?  Or egg and bean burritos.  You have several other ingredients that would work in burritos. How about quesadillas with your available ingredients, or using lots of the vegetables you said are available, cooked on the stove.

I'd also be looking at rice dish possibilities, with the canned tomatoes, and purchased vegetables, along with different kinds of egg dishes, omelets, fried eggs.  Does your family like real ramen, or other similar noodle bowl types of dishes? 

Tofu would be a great addition to many of these (and my son made scrambled eggs and tofu the other morning for breakfast).

• Like 2

I agree with the tofu suggestion if it's kosher.  If not, it's easy to make Burmese chickpea tofu if you have garbanzos.

When I'm in Asia without an oven, I like to make a pot of rice, do some kind of protein, and then saute a bunch of vegetables.  I make sure we always have various sauces and vinegars around so people can flavor the food the way they want to. Or I make a pot of noodles and do the same thing.

You could do tacos with the flour tortillas.  I make egg, bean, potato, pepper, other vegetables, and various meat fillings.  They are super flexible.

We like koshari, especially an Iraqi version of red lentils and rice that's simple and filling.  

This may not be helpful, but the last time I was in Kyrgyzstan I did a series of recipes of the food we were actually eating there. I did have an oven in that apartment but I rarely used it.  Here's a link to the posts (I realize they're not terribly user-friendly and they may not work with your diet).

Something that has helped me is to get a good cookbook for the country I'm living in- the kind that expects you to not substitute and is written in English.  That can help a lot with buying more local ingredients.

I feel your pain.  I usually haven't had a functioning oven in Asia and it's definitely a challenge to learn how to cook in another country.  And adding in dietary restrictions?  That would be hard. The first time I was overseas with my family with really limited ingredients and no oven, I managed to get a week's worth of meals together that I could make consistently. I was pretty proud of myself at the time. :)

• Like 5

Hmmm. I would be inclined to boil eggs and allow one per person for topping on salads or scramble them adding lots of beans and veggies to fill burritos. Also fried rice with egg and veggies, plus egg drop soup with lots of veggies. In these instances the eggs provide protein filler, but a large amount is not necessary. You can use veggie broth as the basis for the egg drop soup, and if you just want it as a single, one dish meal, add some rice while it's cooking so it is more filing.

I find that my three teen boys are filled well when I make meatless chilli. Tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, mild on the chilli pepper, finely diced carrots, and lots of both kidney beans and pinto beans. I allow them to sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on it and dollop of greek yogurt, but it's plenty fine plain for your lactose intolerant family member. It's very filling. I do mine in a crock pot which makes it very easy.

• Like 3

I've never lived in a different culture, so I can't say for absolute certain what I would do, but I think I would try really hard to embrace the local culture and cook what is available instead of relying on the old family standby meals that use ingredients unavailable where you are.  

If you have a decent fresh market nearby, fresh vegetable stir-fries are filling and very inexpensive.  Just use whatever vegetables are in your budget when shopping.  You can add the smallest bit of protein to really stretch what you've bought if you want.  Serve over noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds for an added touch.  I would think you'd be able to find some decent, inexpensive noodles in Tokyo!

Vegetable curries are also very delicious- serve with some of your flour tortillas for mopping up the curry sauce.

• Like 3

How about Black bean and corn quesadillas?  These are easy to make in a skillet or on a griddle.  

Mix black beans, corn, cilantro if you can find it, red onion, cheddar cheese in bowl. Add a package of taco seasoning, or google how to make taco seasoning.  Put tortilla on skillet and mixture on one side of tortilla.   Fold over and grill.  Serve with sour cream.  Yum!  These are fantastic!

• Like 2

I've never lived in a different culture, so I can't say for absolute certain what I would do, but I think I would try really hard to embrace the local culture and cook what is available instead of relying on the old family standby meals that use ingredients unavailable where you are.  

If you have a decent fresh market nearby, fresh vegetable stir-fries are filling and very inexpensive.  Just use whatever vegetables are in your budget when shopping.  You can add the smallest bit of protein to really stretch what you've bought if you want.  Serve over noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds for an added touch.  I would think you'd be able to find some decent, inexpensive noodles in Tokyo!

Vegetable curries are also very delicious- serve with some of your flour tortillas for mopping up the curry sauce.

I agree - I would be thinking lots of rice based dishes with fresh veggies and tofu. Noodle stir fries, miso soup, stuff like that. Yum!!

• Like 3

I agree with the tofu suggestion if it's kosher. If not, it's easy to make Burmese chickpea tofu if you have garbanzos.

When I'm in Asia without an oven, I like to make a pot of rice, do some kind of protein, and then saute a bunch of vegetables. I make sure we always have various sauces and vinegars around so people can flavor the food the way they want to. Or I make a pot of noodles and do the same thing.

You could do tacos with the flour tortillas. I make egg, bean, potato, pepper, other vegetables, and various meat fillings. They are super flexible.

We like koshari, especially an Iraqi version of red lentils and rice that's simple and filling.

This may not be helpful, but the last time I was in Kyrgyzstan I did a series of recipes of the food we were actually eating there. I did have an oven in that apartment but I rarely used it. Here's a link to the posts (I realize they're not terribly user-friendly and they may not work with your diet).

Something that has helped me is to get a good cookbook for the country I'm living in- the kind that expects you to not substitute and is written in English. That can help a lot with buying more local ingredients.

I feel your pain. I usually haven't had a functioning oven in Asia and it's definitely a challenge to learn how to cook in another country. And adding in dietary restrictions? That would be hard. The first time I was overseas with my family with really limited ingredients and no oven, I managed to get a week's worth of meals together that I could make consistently. I was pretty proud of myself at the time. :)

That is a great blog, thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  This isn't my first time in Tokyo; but it is the first time without an oven.  I would love to eat tofu - no kosher tofu in the country (unless I score a trip to the nearest military base, although Korea-town might have some; Korean tofu in the states is kosher.  Hmmmm...).  Most of us do eat fish but fish is expensive (like everything in Japan).  I ended making salmon curry with sweet potatoes and rice for dinner.  

It's funny but eating kosher Japanese is far easier in the US or Israel than Japan.  I have purchased Japanese food that was made in Japan under kosher supervision which was exported to the US and then re-exported to Japan (to a natural foods store)!  So convoluted.

We tend to eat Indian or Mexican or just plain old vegan/vegetarian (as I can get beans relatively cheaply) while in Japan.  Lots of fresh veggies and fruits as sides.  Rice and potatoes as starches.  When I have had an oven, I made bread.  I am waiting for my rice cooker to try making cakes and breads in addition to rice/oatmeal/quinoa.

I can't get sesame oil, most soy sauces (there was one last time; I have to check if it is still made in Japan under kosher supervision).  I brought miso from the US. I can get ginger, onions, garlic, veggies.

Oh, we eat quesadillas everyday for lunch.  Kids' favorite!

• Like 2

If you google raw vegan kosher you'll actually get a fair number of hits.

Have a look a this blog post with a book review & several recipes from the book included  http://www.joyofkosher.com/2013/04/in-the-jok-kitchen-with-raw-simple/

This is very interesting Hornblower!  Thank you - however this kind of cooking is rather pricey for a family of six.  The cauliflower here is eensey-weensey, about a third of a US cauliflower and it is $3-4 for one.  Only seen kale in the western grocery stores (which means double or triple the price in the US.  Oh, and zucchini is about $1.50 for a smallish one. :)

I can get carrots, sweet potatoes (more like yellow yams), onions, tomatoes, cukes, peppers and such at the regular grocery or sometimes at Costco.  There is Costco, but it stocks about 50% of its foods from Japan and much of the rest of it is not kosher (pork, shrimp, non-kosher cheeses, non-kosher breads, other non-kosher foods).  Even there the above veggies are only about 25% less.

We love Japan but it is a little crazy in terms of food prices.  Bananas are cheapish - about $0.80 for a bunch of 5 small ones at our local Seiyu (owned by Walmart).

Amira,  your recipes look great!  What does the Burmese chickpea tofu taste like - I can get besan from the Indian grocery here.  I'm up for trying it!

I like the flavor better than regular tofu.  And it's really easy.  Combine 2 cups of besan with 2.5 teaspoons of salt, then add 4 cups of water and whisk or blend till it's completely smooth.  Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot and while it's coming to a boil, lightly oil two glass pie plates, or 9x9 baking dishes, or wide, shallow bowls- anything where the tofu can set up in a thin layer.  When the water is boiling, lower the heat a bit and slowly stir in the besan mixture.  Keep stirring while you're adding it and lower the heat a bit more if needed.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat till it's thick and silky.  

Pour it into the two dishes, let stand a bit to cool, then put it in the fridge to firm up.  You can use it after an hour, but I like it firmer and think it's better after 8 hours or overnight.  I usually make it in the morning and it's ready for dinner.  I use it in the same way I'd use regular tofu.

• Like 1

Amira,  your recipes look great!  What does the Burmese chickpea tofu taste like - I can get besan from the Indian grocery here.  I'm up for trying it!

If you can get besan, I was flipping through the latest Vegetarian Times last night and found a recipe for Vegetable Pan-Fried pakoras that struck my fancy.  The recipe calls for tofu, but I'm sure you could leave it out, as well as add/substitute anything else you'd like.  

I love pakoras, and never thought to make them myself because they are usually deep fried.

Pan-Fried Pakoras

1 cup garbanzo bean flour (besan)

1 Tablespoon garam masala

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

1 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided

1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)

2 carrots, coarsely grated

1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas

4 ozs. firm tofu, drained and crumbled

Stir together flour, garam masala, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.  Whisk in lemon juice, 2 teaspoons oil and 1 cup cold water.  Let rest 5 minutes.  Fold onion, carrots, peas and tofu into batter.

Heat remaining 1 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into hot oil for each pakora- about 6 at a time.  Cook 2 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.  Flip and cook 2 minutes more, or until golden brown.  Transfer to paper-towel lined plate to drain, and sprinkle with salt, if desired.  Repeat with remaining batter.  Makes about 24 pakoras.

I like the flavor better than regular tofu.  And it's really easy.  Combine 2 cups of besan with 2.5 teaspoons of salt, then add 4 cups of water and whisk or blend till it's completely smooth.  Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot and while it's coming to a boil, lightly oil two glass pie plates, or 9x9 baking dishes, or wide, shallow bowls- anything where the tofu can set up in a thin layer.  When the water is boiling, lower the heat a bit and slowly stir in the besan mixture.  Keep stirring while you're adding it and lower the heat a bit more if needed.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat till it's thick and silky.  

Pour it into the two dishes, let stand a bit to cool, then put it in the fridge to firm up.  You can use it after an hour, but I like it firmer and think it's better after 8 hours or overnight.  I usually make it in the morning and it's ready for dinner.  I use it in the same way I'd use regular tofu.

And then what? Do you usually fry it? is it good "as is." Or what?

I'm intrigued. As is so often the case I wish I lived close enough to you to come for dinner :D

Bill

I would love to eat tofu - no kosher tofu in the country (unless I score a trip to the nearest military base, although Korea-town might have some; Korean tofu in the states is kosher.

I hate to be cynical, but sometimes I think the requirements for a product like Tofu to have a "hechsher" basically amount to a "make work" program for some of the dimmer-bulbs who somehow got a smicha, but would never make it as rabbi. Maybe I shouldn't think out loud? :D

Tofu. It's kosher. What, are they going to sneak in lard? Insects? I dunno.

Bill

• Like 1

And then what? Do you usually fry it? is it good "as is." Or what?

I'm intrigued. As is so often the case I wish I lived close enough to you to come for dinner :D

Bill

My son likes it fried so I usually do that, but in Burma they slice it and use it a little like noodles, or in salads that are yummy.  Mostly I make it when I can't reliably get regular firm tofu.  They also use the cooked flour/besan mixture as a soup and that's tasty too.

• Like 1