Menu

Preparing for 7th and up...

A few threads that might help:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/68058-to-all-you-people-with-8th-graders-or-there-abouts/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/3487-for-those-of-you-with-8th-graders-considering-homeschooling-high-school/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494179-how-to-prepare-a-hs-kid-for-high-school/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/63339-looking-back/

IMO it would be beneficial to start reading the high school board now.  I've been doing that for quite a while and have learned so much (even though I'm not planning to homeschool high school!! :) )

• Like 6

I'm only a year ahead of you, but it helped me last summer to start thinking about the "big picture" of high school, and to start learning about requirements for state scholarships and what high school courses our state universities are looking for.   Now heading into 8th grade, I'm not panicked about high school.   

I'm currently reading up on the new PSAT and SAT, because my 8th grader will probably take one of those this year just for the exposure.

If you have a homeschool convention local to you, even if you don't attend, you may be able to download seminar recordings about high school.   I didn't attend any of those sessions at the FPEA convention last year, but I ended up buying the master set of all recordings, and the sessions about high school were the ones most helpful to me to listen to after the convention.

• Like 4

I'm hitting 7th grade for the 4th time next year. This week I made myself a chart for the next 6 years listing the core subjects (basically math/english/history/science for all 4 years) plus electives (foreign language, logic, arts, pe, etc.), extra curriculars, and community service. This will let me keep track, on a single page, of what I plan to use/actually do use in each area. I plan to discuss it with dd over the summer, especially to fill in electives she'd like to include in her course of study. This is also what will help me build a transcript. I'll write in the textbooks or other material I use/plan to use for each class. She'll get a lot more input on what she likes/doesn't like in terms of materials and structure than she has before.

Another thing I plan to focus on is organization. We're watching the "How to be a Superstar Student" videos this year and next year will probably look at the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. I want dd to come out of the jr. hi years feeling like it's HER job to manage her time and plan her academics and outside projects (not mine). There's a great study skills course @ the local CC that teaches notetaking, how to schedule from your syllabus, etc. and I plan to include that when she's in high school.

I think about what I'm good at working with dd on and what I'm not. That helps me decide what needs a DVD teacher, what needs an outside co-op or online teacher, vs. what we can do at home and do well. I try to think about when she'll be ready for dual enrollment, as we have a good CC nearby. I think about whether we are on track to do any high school credits early (probably algebra, maybe a modern foreign language). I try to think what activities will fit her interests or help her develop a special set of skills that can support her goals....yes, this one MAY go straight to a 4-year school, but CC first has been a good path for 2 of her siblings.

I wonder how we're going to be able to afford all the stuff we WANT to do with her, how any outside activities will affect her academics, what would have to give to pursue something that we really value, etc. The result is, dd and I will spend a lot of time this summer talking and thinking. And then we'll go ahead and do what we've laid out for 7th, because most of this summer will really be pre-pre-planning (for me) and motivation (for her).

Does any of this help?

• Like 6

I'm definitely not experienced yet since DS will be in 7th next year, but the larger question of what middle school should look like has been on my brain for a couple years (6th is middle school here). For us, it's meant preparation for whatever path he decides to take in the high school years; whether he chooses the public HS, a combination homeschool/CC hybrid, or the STEM charter nearby, I want him to go forth with the necessary skills under his belt and the confidence to tackle whatever he wants and needs to study. I'll admit I've had a few panicky moments over it, but he's grown so much this year and made enormous leaps in difficult areas (writing) that at this point I'm not really concerned. This has been a much BIGGER year than I could have anticipated, and I only see it growing and getting even better from here. Given the lameness of my own middle school experience I couldn't have envisioned it to the be the deep and fun time that we are having with it, and likewise I'm blown away with how each passing year he's able to take on more responsibility, more ownership and more perseverance. At some point I almost resigned myself to not having him home for high school, but recently I'm finding myself getting excited about all the possibilities and opportunities there are for him in the "real world" (not confined to the ps idea of education).

All that to say I think this is an excellent time to have an honest chat with yourself and your child about your big picture hopes and vision for the high school years, and what kind of work needs to be done to achieve that. The growth kids go through in high school that more experienced mamas talk about happens in middle school too. What it looks like at age 12 won't be the same as 14 or 15, but this is the time to keep building on the foundation you've already laid.

Have fun! :)

• Like 4

I don't really have any advice, but your post made me smile.

I was thinking back that I didn't worry about when my oldest was entering high school because I didn't realize it until he had already finished 9th grade.

THEN I panicked!   :eek:

• Like 5

I'm hitting 7th grade for the 4th time next year. This week I made myself a chart for the next 6 years listing the core subjects (basically math/english/history/science for all 4 years) plus electives (foreign language, logic, arts, pe, etc.), extra curriculars, and community service. This will let me keep track, on a single page, of what I plan to use/actually do use in each area. I plan to discuss it with dd over the summer, especially to fill in electives she'd like to include in her course of study. This is also what will help me build a transcript. I'll write in the textbooks or other material I use/plan to use for each class. She'll get a lot more input on what she likes/doesn't like in terms of materials and structure than she has before.

My son is finishing up 7th grade now, and I have done the same thing as far as mapping out high school (with lots of options). So like for English 1, we might do Oak Meadow. I've written down the books used for that program, so I know not to use them in middle school. I know he'll need to be ready to write different types of essays, so between MBTP and EIW, we have been working on essay writing this year and will continue next year.

I think I want to do integrated science for his freshman year, so I've made sure to cover earth, life, and physical in 6th-8th so that he will be ready for integrated science.

I know that I want him to do Algebra 1 in 9th grade, so I have him doing a solid middle school math sequence that will prep him for a rigorous algebra program and even prep him for geometry. While he takes geometry, I will have him review algebra with "Use It, Don't Lose It" so he will be ready for Algebra II the next year.

We will probably do the suggested high school history sequence for our district. That's 1/2 credit civics in 9th, world in 10th, US in 11th, and 1/2 credit govt + 1/2 credit AK history in 12th. We have done Human Odyssey for grades 6-7 and will do US history in 8th. Then he will have a firm background for deeper study in high school. Since history is light in grade 9, I might have ds read The Story of Science by Hakim that year.

So definitely map out what you expect to do for high school, and plan backwards to ensure your kid is ready.

• Like 2

when hitting this age, I also made high school decisions that affected middle school decisions/preparations.  Then I made decisions backwards from there.

Realize the hormones start making a HUGE difference.  Allow time, flexibility and sleep for that.

Also allow the hormonal fog some room.  DS will sit down with math and I can literally see the fog around his head...almost lol.  Things he knows, he suddenly doesn't, words don't come easy, deer in headlights...mom, relax. LOL

I focused a LOT on writing, too.  A LOT.  

There are resources out there that make teaching the mid to higher maths easier!

These are the years of self-organization and responsibility for their work.  Mine are to keep their materials a certain way at all times.  They are turn in their work a certain way with a certain amount of neatness, always.  Some days, that's mostly what we work on...usually the days the mental fog rolls in.  

Math responsibility....when they are ready, somewhere in the middle years, start having them grade their math problems, re-do to find out where it went wrong, re-grade, etc.  

It very well might take a year's worth of math to take 1.5 to 2 yrs to firm up all concepts before the next higher math.

Logic and rhetoric stages blur sometimes...you'll know what they 'lawyer routines' start over...everything.  haha!

It's not going to be as hard as it seems.  Promise.

ETA:  regular  exercise irons out loads of issues..make sure they get adequate amounts.

• Like 7

Realize the hormones start making a HUGE difference.  Allow time, flexibility and sleep for that.

Also allow the hormonal fog some room.  DS will sit down with math and I can literally see the fog around his head...almost lol.  Things he knows, he suddenly doesn't, words don't come easy, deer in headlights...mom, relax. LOL

YES!   We ran into this in a huge way.  

ETA:  regular  exercise irons out loads of issues..make sure they get adequate amounts.

I totally agree.   DS has needed breaks for exercise (and also for snacks!) this year like never before.   

• Like 1

I have a decent idea of what materials and types of assignments to require to fulfill my vision for our children, but what I need help on is state and college requirements, test prep readiness, etc.  The basics I have planned are: 

Saxon Math (as high as they can go)

Art: drawing and painting of people/portraits and landscapes, exploring of other arts and crafts as time allows and with interest

Music: instrument study (my preference would be violin, guitar, and/or piano but their choice)

Formal Logic followed by SAT/ACT Prep

Spanish (not sure which program yet, but husband speaks fluently so probably his department)

Mounce's Greek and Hebrew (not at the same time)

Essay writing after readings in all content subjects (I'm sure we will use something to guide literary analysis and Bible study)

Science labs as needed for credit or interest  (hoping to do more of a living book approach)

Unsure of outside activities or jobs, but I know my oldest will participate in girls' choir all the way through.  The boy's choir ends when their voice changes so then they will likely choose something else.  We are not big on sports now but my boys definitely have football aspirations so if my husband desires to take them to practices and games we may let them participate at some point.  Maybe tennis or golf as my husband loves tennis and my father and sister are golf pros.

I am pretty sure this will meet most college and state requirements as long as we document the readings but my oldest may need a vocational diploma instead because I am not sure she can finish all the math she needs, but we'll see.  My requirements for her will be different, but this is what we are striving for academically in our home.  

I have a decent idea of what materials and types of assignments to require to fulfill my vision for our children, but what I need help on is state and college requirements, test prep readiness, etc.  The basics I have planned are: 

Saxon Math (as high as they can go)

Art: drawing and painting of people/portraits and landscapes, exploring of other arts and crafts as time allows and with interest

Music: instrument study (my preference would be violin, guitar, and/or piano but their choice)

Formal Logic followed by SAT/ACT Prep

Spanish (not sure which program yet, but husband speaks fluently so probably his department)

Mounce's Greek and Hebrew (not at the same time)

Essay writing after readings in all content subjects (I'm sure we will use something to guide literary analysis and Bible study)

Science labs as needed for credit or interest  (hoping to do more of a living book approach)

Unsure of outside activities or jobs, but I know my oldest will participate in girls' choir all the way through.  The boy's choir ends when their voice changes so then they will likely choose something else.  We are not big on sports now but my boys definitely have football aspirations so if my husband desires to take them to practices and games we may let them participate at some point.  Maybe tennis or golf as my husband loves tennis and my father and sister are golf pros.

I am pretty sure this will meet most college and state requirements as long as we document the readings but my oldest may need a vocational diploma instead because I am not sure she can finish all the math she needs, but we'll see.  My requirements for her will be different, but this is what we are striving for academically in our home.  

Oh, crap.  ART.  Any curriculum suggestions? She'll be covered until high school.

• Like 1

I agree with the suggestions to plan things out, but include your child in making those plans.  Talk about their dreams, or what things they think they want to try out to see if they like them.  Have them look at the college entrance requirements for a few schools to make sure they understand why you are suggesting the things you are.  Don't just tell them, show them.  Let them browse around on college websites and see all of the options for majors.  ("Really, I could study that?")  Talk to them about what you see as their strengths and ask them what other areas they want to strengthen.  Then plan, but hold it loosely - use it as a guideline - because it WILL change. :001_smile:

• Like 3

Yes,this is great! Anything and everything helps right now. What about high school electives? They seem daunting.

Electives aren't daunting :)

Some people think of electives as only art, music, gym, and vocational-type activities. That's fine.

I think of electives as everything that fills in the schedule after the main subjects are planned.

For example, in high school students who are college-bound should strive for

--4 years of English

--4 years of math

--4 years of science, at least 2 with documented labs

--4 years of history and/or social sciences (psychology, economics, government)

--3 years of foreign language

Note I said "strive" for those credits. The student would then cover the admission requirements for all levels of college/university selectivity.

And then you fill in whatever else the student might like to study. Someone into art would of course study art. The language lover would study a second language. The STEM kid would double-up on sciences in order to study at an advanced level. Someone uncertain of future plans would dabble :)

And you don't have to decide before ninth grade what classes will be taken when :) Be flexible. Make sure your student has a say in what she/he will be studying!

Anyone who reads my posts on the high school board knows just how much my dd's interests have changed over the last year--heck, over the last six months :lol:

• Like 5

Something we've done this year when she's in 7th grade is have conversations about what she thinks she would like high school to look like for her. We've talked about different careers she might like, different universities she might like, and what kind of high school studies those would require.

We've also talked about picking a couple of her extracurriculars to go deeper with, and how she's going to have to make choices about her involvement in her sport.

• Like 2

Something we've done this year when she's in 7th grade is have conversations about what she thinks she would like high school to look like for her. We've talked about different careers she might like, different universities she might like, and what kind of high school studies those would require.

We've also talked about picking a couple of her extracurriculars to go deeper with, and how she's going to have to make choices about her involvement in her sport.

May I ask what her sport is?  Mine is a competitive gymnast and has started training optionals.  I'm always concerned about fitting in everything with her schedule!  I have asked her what she thinks she might like to study in high school or college, and right now she's so in love with gym that she wants to be a coach or trainer.

Oh, crap.  ART.  Any curriculum suggestions? She'll be covered until high school.

We use youtube almost exclusively for art.  They have wanted to try pastels so I bought some and we have been following some lessons from people on there.  People set up lessons of various kinds on there so we pick something we want to spend a few weeks on and do it systematically.  We also have an active homeschool community locally and a few of the ladies arrange some classes through the local museums so we get in on that when possible.  We are scheduled for a mixed media class in May and a few pottery classes in June.  We just finished a few classes on drawing and using colored pencils.  I just want them to relax and enjoy this subject and get exposed to as many different types of mediums as possible so we do a little of everything.  Some of this might work for you guys?  YT is full of ideas!

• Like 1

Lori D. will probably come along and give you a million great resource links. From the perspective of a mom whose oldest will go to the college of his choice next year and whose youngest has decided to graduate early and will therefor be a senior next year:

For yourself: Read. Read the middle school board, read the high school board, read literature that will come up in high school, read, a lot.

Planning: Make a long range plan for 7th-12th so you have an idea where you are going, then be prepared to scrap that plan at every turn. Really, hold it loosely, re-write it often.

For right now: Enjoy! 7th and 8th grade are great opportunities to explore interests and follow rabbit trails. Don't get overly caught up in preparing for high school, although do work hard on math and writing. Remember, your 7th grader may not work at a high school level, that is ok. Your 9th grader probably won't be prepared for college yet, that is ok too. Read this thread by Nan in Mass.

Eta: just checked the links above and Nan's is the first one. There is a tag for Nan's words of wisdom, you can't read too many. If you need how to information, look for Lori's detailed posts with tons of links. They are among the many wonderful resources you have here.

• Like 1