Menu

Ignore this thread!

My kids have also enjoyed playing "math wars" - learned from Math Mammoth. Each child has their own deck of cards (with a different design) and take out the K, Q, J, aces, and jokers. At the same time, they each lay down a card face up. The first one to call out the correct answer multiplying the numbers together gets to keep both cards. You can do it with addition as well.

My kids also have multiplication tables in their binders for reference.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Old cat is up and about today, walking from room to room to stare at people through her ugly eye. So I think she feels better, even though the eye is still pretty sore.

Our piebald cat has been sick the past couple days. No idea why. She's just droopy a couple days and then perks up. I think she has allergies. We know she's feeling better when she tips over all the food bowls.

Neither of my teens have their multiplication facts totally memorized. But they can figure it out. I even have trouble sometimes. :leaving: All of us have drilled and drilled and drilled for years.

We've drilled, too, and second DS (6th grade) is only now able to mostly do addition and subtraction without a number line to help. He is very frustrated with math. We do TT and that seems to work fine for him,

I hate Saxon. I love CLE. It is the perfect balance of new material, drill, and review. And the little "light units" are small, approachable, lightweight worktexts.

. I love CLE, too. I started loving then for phonics when my middle dd just couldn't learn to read last year as a kindergartner. Couldn't learn her letters, nothing! So I got the whole CLE first grade "box" for her and, by George, the child is now reading. I love their math, too. I wish I would have gone that way with DS, but he's been doing TT for a few years now and it's working, so we're going to stick with that.

I clearly need to finish my coffee, and then get another cup.

A COFFEE DESPERATION BOOYAH!!

ITT presents: Math'n'Grammarville

*All Rights Reserved* Except for those to the tune and original lyrics, which are obviously held by Jimmy Buffet or whatever company it is that owns him, LOL. (Written primarily by ikslo and Critter)

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset,

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:

Wasting away again in MathĂ¢â‚¬ËœnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Grammarville

Hoping that there's a whole hour of art

Some people say that there is knowledge to gain

But I know, of it I want no part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks!

Refrain:

But you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t force me to take part!

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

Refrain:

And so I must play the part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks!

Wasting away again in Math-and-Grammarville

But I know, of it I want no part.

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset,

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

I think this could be the ITT National Anthem.

And yes on the coffee, Susan! Yesterday I drank my afternoon cuppa at 10:00 in the morning. It was that kind of day! Brewed another pot in the afternoon!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

This math discussion makes me feel a lot better about dd9.  She is finishing up Abeka 3 and moving into Saxon 5/4.  I was pushing for her to have her multiplication tables completely memorized before moving on to Saxon.  I think we'll just start Saxon and keep working on the times tables.

She has a laminated placemat with the times tables that I am trying to wean her off of.  She only has 0s, 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, and 11s memorized.  We're working on 3s and 4s this week month.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7

Even CLE wasn't enough practice for my guys when it came to multiplying double and triple digit numbers, long division and fraction operations. I had to work in extra practice.

It fits, though. Both of these guys are perfectionists. They want to do it right, and because of that, they hesitate when things are not just second nature to them. They are learning that for a skill to become as easy as breathing, you've got to practice it over, and over, and over, and over.... 

• Like 3

Here's another thing I've noticed about math and writing, both. Whenever there is something new going on, both of my boys totter over old things that were previously mastered. I think it has to do with concern over mastering the new skill. They doubt their abilities. They get cautious. So suddenly it looks like they haven't learned anything. So it is not unusual for me to have to scaffold the old while they are learning the new. Sort of like teaching a new gymnastics move. Just because a kid can do a back flip on the floor doesn't mean he won't need a spotter when he tries it on the vault, for instance. 

• Like 5

I've been coffeed. I like the pillows. They're not worth the $100 they cost when they first came out, but they're nice. Normally I wake up because I'm uncomfortable and have to adjust my pillows but I didn't last night. The kids like theirs too.

I sound like a commercial for CLE.  I was a Singapore proponent for about 8 years until little dd cried every day and didn't understand it.  It was great for my boys.  Little dd is not dyscalculic (IMO) but she is heavily humanities-gifted, as is her mama.  I pulled her out of SM 4A a couple of months into this school year and put her into CLE 3 to back up and review.  I hate Saxon.  I love CLE.  It is the perfect balance of new material, drill, and review.  And the little "light units" are small, approachable, lightweight worktexts.  

I still love Singapore, and I owe Singapore for a conceptual understanding of math for myself and for a great foundation for my mathy boys.  But CLE is it for little dd.  I will ride that wave until I can outsource her math to a qualified professional like Jann.  

You are a commercial for CLE. I have probably looked at it 4 times because of you.

This math discussion makes me feel a lot better about dd9.  She is finishing up Abeka 3 and moving into Saxon 5/4.  I was pushing for her to have her multiplication tables completely memorized before moving on to Saxon.  I think we'll just start Saxon and keep working on the times tables.

She has a laminated placemat with the times tables that I am trying to wean her off of.  She only has 0s, 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, and 11s memorized.  We're working on 3's and 4's this week month.

Math makes me sad because we have such high expectations and people become upset when those expectations aren't met. What do you mean your kid is 9 and can't do long division!? I mean my kid is 9 and can't do long division. Go away. I don't even know if that is a ridiculous goal for a 9 year old, I just know adults are insane with math. My old homeschool friend that I don't talk to anymore was upset because her 3rd grader was not on track to complete calculus by the end of high school. She had her doing 1 MUS and 1 TT lesson a day so she had understanding and review. The child *hated* it. It just hurt to watch.

• Like 6

My lunch today was leftover gluten-free General Tso's Chicken.  :thumbup1:  Dh is enjoying using the new deep fryer.  (And I'm enjoying the results!)  Yum!

Dc had sausage biscuits.  And Cadbury eggs.   (I usually make scrambled eggs when they have sausage biscuits.  I figured they wouldn't mind if I changed things up a little bit today.)   :D

• Like 5

Math makes me sad because we have such high expectations and people become upset when those expectations aren't met. What do you mean your kid is 9 and can't do long division!? I mean my kid is 9 and can't do long division. Go away. I don't even know if that is a ridiculous goal for a 9 year old, I just know adults are insane with math. My old homeschool friend that I don't talk to anymore was upset because her 3rd grader was not on track to complete calculus by the end of high school. She had her doing 1 MUS and 1 TT lesson a day so she had understanding and review. The child *hated* it. It just hurt to watch.

I agree with you that expectations not being met is a sad thing. That said, it often isn't the parent that is setting the expectations. I've yet to meet a curriculum that didn't expect certain milestones to be met before moving on to another thing. Even CLE, as gentle and plodding as it can be, expects certain things to have occurred in a certain time frame. Aside from telling the teacher to try this or that, there isn't a lot of help in a curriculum for a child who just isn't getting it according to the standard set by the curriculum.

I despise standardized testing for math. Happiest day of my life when I found out that they couldn't yank my kids out of homeschooling because their math scores weren't right up there. We will be doing it, because testing is a part of life whether I like it or not, but rewarding speed in math just seems wrong to me.

• Like 5

DS9 is also one for whom math does not come easily.  He's getting his multiplication down bit by bit.  I don't allow helps on review/mastery exercises (I make him start with a close fact he knows and skip count from there, or combine known facts), but we have this Monkey Multiplier which he can use when I am introducing new concepts so that he doesn't get bogged down with the facts while trying to learn the concept.

• Like 5

Here's another thing I've noticed about math and writing, both. Whenever there is something new going on, both of my boys totter over old things that were previously mastered. I think it has to do with concern over mastering the new skill. They doubt their abilities. They get cautious. So suddenly it looks like they haven't learned anything. So it is not unusual for me to have to scaffold the old while they are learning the new. Sort of like teaching a new gymnastics move. Just because a kid can do a back flip on the floor doesn't mean he won't need a spotter when he tries it on the vault, for instance. 

I love that analogy! 

• Like 3

I had a night terror last night, and I leapt out of bed on my sprained ankle.  Because I was wearing ear plugs, it took me longer to hear dh hollering that I was ok.  This was midnight, and this morning, a kid told me he heard all the brouhaha because he was watching the bball game on TV in the living room.  

Dh woke me up at 9 because I told him not to let me sleep all day like I did on Monday and caused one kid to miss his online class.

Y'all should see the weird brusing on my ankle.  Some of you have seen it via text.  It is horrifying and would make you lose your lunch so I won't post it here on the big screen.

The lock down fugitive search in our small town last night prolly made the news.  We could hear the helicopter circling around right above us.  I am pretty convinced that the Open Gym is located in the Bermuda Triangle. 

I never even looked at CLE until one kid flunked out of Singapore.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

In a bit, I will bathe and then take little dd for her orthodontic fitting, the one in which they cram a lot of quick drying cement into your mouth so you feel that you will choke and suffocate and just when you are on the brink of death, they take it out and you think it is yanking every one of your blasted teeth with it so why would you even need braces since you are now toothless.

Also, I will give them some money for a downpayment and sign my life away (again) to Dr. K in return for decent teeth and jaw structure for kid #4.  I do heart the man.  He takes his craft very seriously.

• Like 5

So, may I just say that, when you know the end is near, it is incredibly hard to find motivation to do anything. These last few days have been hard. I pray the next 31 will be more smooth, but I don't know how much hope I hold. haha

In better news, tomorrow is my "administrative testing" at the church at 9:00. I'm going to have lunch with a friend after. Still a bit nervous, but if I don't have experience with certain programs, there's really nothing I can do about that. 

I did spend way too much on some new slacks, 2 tops, a sweater shrug, and a necklace. I figure that it's good for tomorrow and/or any potential interviews I have in the coming weeks/months. Still, clothes are too danged expensive - especially when you have to buy plus size. :( 

• Like 6

In a bit, I will bathe and then take little dd for her orthodontic fitting, the one in which they cram a lot of quick drying cement into your mouth so you feel that you will choke and suffocate and just when you are on the brink of death, they take it out and you think it is yanking every one of your blasted teeth with it so why would you even need braces since you are now toothless.

Also, I will give them some money for a downpayment and sign my life away (again) to Dr. K in return for decent teeth and jaw structure for kid #4.  I do heart the man.  He takes his craft very seriously.

They did that to me with foam. I felt like I was dying. It was swelling and going down my throat. Also, they didn't tell me to breath through my nose. So, I panicked and chunks of foam ended up EVERYWHERE. It was not pretty. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Since we seem to be stuck discussing education( :001_rolleyes: ), thank you all for your input on next year's schedule.  It helps to write things out and be forced to *oww, owww, owwwww* think.  The idea of adding the Greeks as a class was just really, really stupid.  Here we are having the Best Year Ever because I created balance in the schedule, but still I am tempted by too many shiny things. facepalm.gif

We will continue to do history/literature/English at home.  Because it, y'know, works.  Duh.

• Like 9

Now, what have you been told about swimming in the sea? Hmm?

I know, right???

My kids really like it, though.

Did I tell y'all that there was another brouhaha between a young fat dude and an old dude because the young dude accused the old dude of clotheslining him, which is super unlikely.  Then the young dude rn around yelling and pounding the wall and saying that he can't do this anymore since he has a real job now and no longer plays bball professionally.  (But I promise you he never did...)

We all averted our eyes.

Going to Open Gym provides most of the entertainment in my life.  If I was writing a novel, I would write it about the Open Gym.

• Like 6

Since we seem to be stuck discussing education( :001_rolleyes: ), thank you all for your input on next year's schedule.  It helps to write things out and be forced to *oww, owww, owwwww* think.  The idea of adding the Greeks as a class was just really, really stupid.  Here we are having the Best Year Ever because I created balance in the schedule, but still I am tempted by too many shiny things. facepalm.gif

We will continue to do history/literature/English at home.  Because it, y'know, works.  Duh.

That's why I got rid of The Iron Peacock and some of the history extras.  Because FINE ARTS YEAR, yo, and it will take away one day of academics.  But fifth grade only happens once.

• Like 2

I may or may not have just inhaled orange juice while laughing.

ETA: Not laughing because of what your poor dd will endure. Mental image, yo. Strange things make me laugh, I guess.

I did spend way too much on some new slacks, 2 tops, a sweater shrug, and a necklace. 

Clothes are way too expensive for what one gets out of them, and the resale value stinks. Moreover, shopping for them requires you to go through everything on the rack to find three things that work. On a Tuesday. At a certain time of month. With a red shirt.

I despise shopping for clothes, if you can't tell.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

So am I allowed to put the anti-social neighbor's mail in their mailbox?  For some reasons I thought that I wasn't allowed to.  But despite knowing they are home, they did not answer the door when I took over misdirected mail.  I was tempted to just dump it outside their door but I didn't.  I brought it home again.

Probably too late for this, but I think you are not allowed to do that. I'd leave it by the door in a Ziplock baggy.

After spending two adults' life savings and nearly dying in the pursuit to give DD life, I was smiled upon by God and given a child with perfect teeth.  Which is odd given that neither her father nor I have anything close to perfect teeth, but I am very, very grateful.

• Like 8

I think you can put their mail in their mailbox.  I am reasonably certain that a postal inspector will not jump out of the bushes and haul you off to the hoosegow.

If it does happen, however, I am reasonably certain that I can scare up a platoon of Enraged Marauding Ninja Elephants to storm the facility and return you to freedom.

I am glad that I no longer live in suburbia.  Weird neighbors are better spaced here.

Oh I love suburbia. Weird neighbors are more likely to be interspersed with less weird neighbors. My sister lives rural. They have three neighbors within dog-barking distance and all of them are creepy or just plain awful. Uh, guess what BIL. If you want to get away from regulation, you are going to find yourself surrounded by other anti-social people...

Just remember we need the same from you, lol. 

<sigh>  writing.  8th grader next year.  'nuff said.  I was tempted to consider TTC's online lit discussion and writing classes.  But - 1) pricey.  2)  internet issues  and 3) gut says no.  So, writing.  I'm not bad at editing and knowing what needs to be fixed in a paper.  But I'm not great at coming up with writing assignments, or supporting someone else in their train of thought when it's very different from my train of thought.  And I have mixed feelings about literary essays.  And I have mixed feelings about literature in general.  Not about doing it, I mean, but what our goals are.  

#Morethanyouwantedtoknow  

#swimmingintreacherousseas

• Like 4

Clothes are way too expensive for what one gets out of them, and the resale value stinks. Moreover, shopping for them requires you to go through everything on the rack to find three things that work. On a Tuesday. At a certain time of month. With a red shirt.

I despise shopping for clothes, if you can't tell.

This is why I never shop at TJ Maxx or Ross or Marshall's.

I am never able to go on the 8th Monday of the week at 25:00. It just doesn't happen for me.  :cursing:  (That's how it feels anyway. haha Some super secret day that everyone goes and to which I am not privy.) So, I end up trying on granny tops and hating my life. lol 

• Like 4

How? Are you using the Greeks DVDs? Yeah, I'm nosy. Deal with it.  :coolgleamA:

Most likely.  I may let her opt to take the Wes Callihan-led version of the class if she wants to join in the discussion (she loooooves online discussion for the most part. Except Boomerang Book Club was a bust. :huh: )  If we do that, I will have to use the duct tape on myself and NOT.DO.THE.WRITING.

I will probably add in history from Spielvogel or History of the Ancient World (her call).  Writing will be probably BW Expository Essay sometime in the fall and whatever Shakespeare Lit Analysis that Susanne Barrett is doing in the spring.  We'll do an Analytical Grammar 6 week reinforcement sometime during the year when it fits.

The other option would be a me-version of Omnibus I.  I will confer with her after we get back from DC.

(It's a lot of reading, but this is the child who two summers ago read Dickens' Tale of Two Cities. In a day. :huh: )

• Like 4

Me either. Or any other clothes retailer. I hunt the thrift store racks. If it's going to make me look horrible, might as well get it for the lowest price I can, right? :lol:

• Like 2

I don't want to get back to work. I just want to sit here surfing the Net and texting my friend. We already did 2 science experiments (can trap exp. from Apologia for DD and DS, and water cycle experiment from Pandia press for younger DDs). Isn't that enough? I just don't want to do anything.

• Like 3

Just remember we need the same from you, lol. 

<sigh>  writing.  8th grader next year.  'nuff said.  I was tempted to consider TTC's online lit discussion and writing classes.  But - 1) pricey.  2)  internet issues  and 3) gut says no.  So, writing.  I'm not bad at editing and knowing what needs to be fixed in a paper.  But I'm not great at coming up with writing assignments, or supporting someone else in their train of thought when it's very different from my train of thought.  And I have mixed feelings about literary essays.  And I have mixed feelings about literature in general.  Not about doing it, I mean, but what our goals are.  

#Morethanyouwantedtoknow  

#swimmingintreacherousseas

What's TTC?

Writing is hard for me to advise on, honestly.  Both DD and I are natural writers and she WILL.NOT.LISTEN.TO.ME.  Best thing I ever did was off-load that.

However, have you looked at Lively Art of Writing?  I own it (I'm an addict.  I seriously need a program.  In my defense, though, even if I don't implement a whole program, I throw nuggets of wisdom from various sources as needed.  Or as will be received.) and really like the approach. It's straightforward, clear, and CHEAP.

• Like 2

Most likely.  I may let her opt to take the Wes Callihan-led version of the class if she wants to join in the discussion (she loooooves online discussion for the most part. Except Boomerang Book Club was a bust. :huh: )  If we do that, I will have to use the duct tape on myself and NOT.DO.THE.WRITING.

I will probably add in history from Spielvogel or History of the Ancient World (her call).  Writing will be probably BW Expository Essay sometime in the fall and whatever Shakespeare Lit Analysis that Susanne Barrett is doing in the spring.  We'll do an Analytical Grammar 6 week reinforcement sometime during the year when it fits.

The other option would be a me-version of Omnibus I.  I will confer with her after we get back from DC.

(It's a lot of reading, but this is the child who two summers ago read Dickens' Tale of Two Cities. In a day. :huh: )

I think you guys should do The Greeks together as a Mommy/daughter thing. And BW because you know it works. But mostly The Greeks because I want to know how it goes.

• Like 2

I am never able to go on the 8th Monday of the week at 25:00. It just doesn't happen for me.  :cursing:  (That's how it feels anyway. haha Some super secret day that everyone goes and to which I am not privy.) So, I end up trying on granny tops and hating my life. lol 

I pay my bills on a retail card, pay it off at the end of the month, and use the rewards to buy clothes.

Honestly... it works for me.  My partner does the same. We shop at Nordstrom's and Banana Republic and we've pretty much got retail covered... we almost never end up paying more than 10% of the cost of the clothes.

• Like 3

I have 12 weeks of school left with ds.  

Dd otoh has finals starting next Monday.  How did that happen so fast? In two of her classes the finals really 'matter', kwim?  There are still a lot of marks on the table to pick up (or not).  

Ds is nowhere near on sched w/ bio so today I need to look at it again & see how it will work out. I don't mind stopping in an ok place & finishing it in Sep but I had hoped to be done. We're considering adding an outsourced for credit distance ed (in photography so not hard core academics) for the last 12 weeks but that's probably a mistake.

I don't want to get back to work. I just want to sit here surfing the Net and texting my friend. We already did 2 science experiments (can trap exp. from Apologia for DD and DS, and water cycle experiment from Pandia press for younger DDs). Isn't that enough? I just don't want to do anything.

Yes.

Flexibility.  It's why we homeschool.

(I need to finish writing that last sentence on the whiteboard 100 bazillion times.)

• Like 1

It's been time for me to call the boys in for Grammarville. If I procrastinate long enough, it will go away.

ETA: Just realized my clock is off since we lost power a little while ago. So I did the cat's eye medications and pain medication about ten minutes ahead of schedule. No wonder she gave me dirty looks.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Dh "shops like a woman".  I "shop like a man".  #yesIknowthosearestereotypes  #stereotypesdon'tfiteveryone  #includingus  

He has way too many clothes.  I mean, way too many. 

I have too few clothes.  But despite all the "love your body" ads around now, I hate my body and trying to find clothes to put on it is sort of an exercise in despair.

#isthedoctorin?  #isthedoctoronlyfivecents?

Ack!  It's a stereotypical "I hate my body" booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

Ds does not have perfect teeth.  And we did not get him braces.  You can all turn me in now. 

Braces for two kids.  They both have structural issues. 

Thank you!   I always think of it as "Great Courses" and forget the old name.

It's also Teaching the Classics.  Adam Andrews DVD program (for teachers but can be used with students, too).

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

Dh "shops like a woman".  I "shop like a man".  #yesIknowthosearestereotypes  #stereotypesdon'tfiteveryone  #includingus  

He has way too many clothes.  I mean, way too many. 

I have too few clothes.  But despite all the "love your body" ads around now, I hate my body and trying to find clothes to put on it is sort of an exercise in despair.

#isthedoctorin?  #isthedoctoronlyfivecents?

Ack!  It's a stereotypical "I hate my body" booyah! 

Your body is creating immune havoc for you. You are allowed to hate it.

I am willing to bet that if it was merely a question of silhouette you could find a way to appreciate it. If I were in pain I'd hate my body too.  :grouphug:

Also, clothes are not well made. Have you considered buying a couple nice pieces and having them tailored? They can tailor for flattery.

• Like 1