• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Folks...let's give it up for Gwyneth Fowltrou: First time chicken mommy!!!   D.gif  She'd been demanding eggs for hatching since December...I finally relented and her first chickie baby was hatched overnight.  A little Olive Egger crossed back with a Black Copper Marans.  Will be interesting to see what color eggs she lays (assuming it's a she).   

Two more chicks to wait on!  jumpy.gif

Hopefully Gwyneth will be able to keep her babies warm enough.  And hopefully she doesn't abandon her remaining two eggs...one of which isn't due to hatch until this weekend.  

Edited by Sweetpea3829
  • Like 9

Oh, and I was putting together Jo's writing portfolio for the year earlier.  I missed this gem

Very nice. Agree with Tsuga. Take it down, because that is good enough to be walked away with. I wasn't sure what to make of the dialogue-maybe not enough happening in that segment--but overall, a good piece.

• Like 3

Good morning, Ladies! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! I love Easter vacation. And there are times I would love to put them all in school and just enjoy these leisurely mornings, drinking coffee, surfing the Net, doing devotions. Instead of the days of getting all the chillins edumacated,frantically folding laundry, cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming and getting meals served in those moments in between. The whole idea of "Teaching from Rest" really appeals to me, but how does one teach from rest with educationally resistant children who fight all the time?

Anyhoo, I'll enjoy vacation while I can.

Sweet pea, congratulations on your grand-chickie! And I give you the prize for the most creative chicken names!

• Like 7

:grouphug: for Prairie during detox.

Blousy. Bleh.

:grouphug: for Mr. Sweetpea.  I did not mean to cast aspersion on scruffy guys.  I was just thinking of one up the mountain behind us – the registered kind- and being grateful it wasn’t him.  And feeling sorry for the grandmother who saw only the scary last night.

Yay for Gwyneth!  The chicken envy, it burns.  Well, this morning it simmers but that lacks.

As for Jo’s writing-she’s amazing, but I posted that more for me.  :o  That piece made me cry.  It hurt to read it and somehow I didn’t see it even though she did it for a class. She’s pretty happy-go-lucky on the surface.  But you know what they say about still waters and all.  It hit me like the piece she wrote about the mathcounts competition.  My mommy heart got kicked around like a football yesterday, so I was pretty weepy and pathetic. Sigh.  Move along now; nothing to see here.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

• Like 7

Last night, dd16 made a meal with salad, appetizer of eggplant parmesan, and main course of fried cod and rice infused with garlic and ginger. It was good.

Today, I'm taking Gymnast to a gymnastics camp. We'll see how she does. She's not been away from us for 5 hours at a time.  :huh: 

Also on the list is getting a duplicate title for the vehicle we are selling to scrap, and getting the other half of the living room done. I'd also like to go to the laundromat, but think I'll be relegated to washing a couple of pants and shirts for dh by hand and hanging them on the line.

• Like 4

Good morning, Ladies! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! I love Easter vacation. And there are times I would love to put them all in school and just enjoy these leisurely mornings, drinking coffee, surfing the Net, doing devotions. Instead of the days of getting all the chillins edumacated,frantically folding laundry, cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming and getting meals served in those moments in between. The whole idea of "Teaching from Rest" really appeals to me, but how does one teach from rest with educationally resistant children who fight all the time?

I purport that the "Teaching from Rest" is kind of like those restful camping trips I took as a kid. It wasn't until I had to be in charge of a camping expedition for the younger members of a group that I understood the price for peace. Somebody has to work their flipping tail off, yo. 

I bust my rear end for peace and rest in the day. 

• Like 9

I was convinced it was Saturday. I was heartbroken when I woke up and it was Tuesday.

I missed Jo's thing!

I don't like blouse either. Sounds like a bug.

FIAR, I already bought the first one with my RR order. I will spend some more time with it before I go to the conference. I'm also interested in Sonlight A: Introduction to World Cultures and My Father's World: Learning God's Story, but both will cost more money and I'm concerned about them not getting done, particularly Sonlight. With FIAR I don't feel like I need to do everything as much because I'm only buying the guide and getting the books from the library. With SL and MFW I'll need to make more purchases. John will be in K and also doing Reading Lessons Through Literature, Miquon, and Developing The Early Learner along with a bajillion art and Spanish resources.

• Like 6

Yes, Ellie, Crisco's #1 ingredient is soybean oil. 

Earth's balance soy-free is one of the only vegan/soyfree/dairy free/non-GMO/etc. crisco-alternatives that I know of.

Well, it's a good thing I hardly ever use it. o_0

I'll check at Sprouts next time I'm there.

• Like 2

I have an appointment with the thyroid surgeon today so have to get myself organized to go downtown, fight with parking demons, and sit around in a waiting room. The rate my doc reviews say essentially 'excellent surgeon, expect to wait for consults as he's never on time' 

I'm a bit unprepared for this meeting (this is the let's get a 2nd opinion about my friend Ming - the "multinodular goiter" with atypia)

I thought given the wailing and gnashing in the press about our healthcare and the fact that it's not considered urgent that I'd be looking at an appointment in a month or two or more, by which time I could read up on all the treatment protocols and considerations. Instead my appointment is 8 days after the referral got sent.  

So then I wondered: what did she put in the referral? "SEE THIS PATIENT ASAP SUPER URGENT BUT DON'T TELL HER BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO WORRY HER BUT OMG, SQUEEZE HER IN RIGHT.NOW."  ???? J/K. I'm sure it's just a fluke.

Ming and I are still deciding whether we'd rather take transit instead. Decisions, decisions. 

• Like 5

I have an appointment with the thyroid surgeon today so have to get myself organized to go downtown, fight with parking demons, and sit around in a waiting room. The rate my doc reviews say essentially 'excellent surgeon, expect to wait for consults as he's never on time' 

I'm a bit unprepared for this meeting (this is the let's get a 2nd opinion about my friend Ming - the "multinodular goiter" with atypia)

I thought given the wailing and gnashing in the press about our healthcare and the fact that it's not considered urgent that I'd be looking at an appointment in a month or two or more, by which time I could read up on all the treatment protocols and considerations. Instead my appointment is 8 days after the referral got sent.  

So then I wondered: what did she put in the referral? "SEE THIS PATIENT ASAP SUPER URGENT BUT DON'T TELL HER BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO WORRY HER BUT OMG, SQUEEZE HER IN RIGHT.NOW."  ???? J/K. I'm sure it's just a fluke.

Ming and I are still deciding whether we'd rather take transit instead. Decisions, decisions. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: , hornblower.  And I'm still praying. ;)

• Like 4

Last night, dd16 made a meal with salad, appetizer of eggplant parmesan, and main course of fried cod and rice infused with garlic and ginger. It was good.

Ok, and so is she free tonight? We like to eat at 6:00, but 6:30 would be fine, too!

I'm going to the doctor yet again today to be stuck with needles. Then we're going to the zoo. Dd14 is excited.

The zoo is awesome. We love the zoo! Especially the peccaries.

Hornblower, hope the appointment goes well!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

Hey, Tex? What if I used the biscuit recipe on top of my turkey pot pie? Think that would work if I just drop the biscuits on top of an already cooked filling and then baked it for the time for biscuits?

That sounds good. I'll be coming over, ok?

• Like 3

Well, I've dropped off Gymnast, picked up my new glasses (transitions! anti-glare! two lenses that won't fall out!), and ate two eggs with a large mug of coffee (decaf). I've decided to hold off getting the title until I pick up Gymnast and work on the living room. I like moving furniture for some odd reason. I think I'm going to rearrange everything.

Did I mention that dd16 is going to apply to a youth conservation corps thingy? Forest guild. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 6

debbie downer checking in: 

Palm oil is killing orangutans. There are only about 50,000 left in the world and their habitat is being destroyed by plantations to feed the western demand for palm oil. 

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/ng-interactive/2014/nov/10/palm-oil-rainforest-cupboard-interactive

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/footprint/agriculture/palm_oil/

• Like 1

I think we could keep her pretty well booked.

Has she considered culinary school, or would she prefer to keep it a hobby?

It is one of a million considerations. The cc has a culinary program that I'm trying to interest her in. The classes would be paid for with dual enrollment. But, so would criminal justice courses, which she also states she's interested in. I think she really needs something to do with her hands, and she loves to bake and cook.

• Like 2

I really don't like the doctor I saw yesterday. I mentioned my concern about having two and he laughed and shook his head like I was some sort of idiot. I said I was measuring big and he said I was measuring incorrectly so I asked him to measure me and he got irritated. As he pulled the measuring tape our he said I should be between 26 and 28 inches. I mentioned that I thought he might be really big and he said that he wouldn't be really big yet, then he was silent when I measured at 31 inches. I asked what the meant and he said "I don't know but I'm sure everything is fine." Then when he listened for the heartbeat I asked him to look for a second and he refused. I acknowledge that it's near ridiculous for me to think they actually missed a baby, but would it have killed him to spend a minute looking? And his reassurance that everything is probably fine sucked. I'm not worried about the baby but that's 3 inches over what it's supposed to be. Is my due date wrong? Is he going to be 15 pounds? Are there two? Oh! And then he got irritated when Matt asked for a note saying that I needed him home for two weeks. He said that his office should supply paperwork for him to fill out, but they just want a note and he got all pissy. I don't want to see this guy again.

I really don't like the doctor I saw yesterday. I mentioned my concern about having two and he laughed and shook his head like I was some sort of idiot. I said I was measuring big and he said I was measuring incorrectly so I asked him to measure me and he got irritated. As he pulled the measuring tape our he said I should be between 26 and 28 inches. I mentioned that I thought he might be really big and he said that he wouldn't be really big yet, then he was silent when I measured at 31 inches. I asked what the meant and he said "I don't know but I'm sure everything is fine." Then when he listened for the heartbeat I asked him to look for a second and he refused. I acknowledge that it's near ridiculous for me to think they actually missed a baby, but would it have killed him to spend a minute looking? And his reassurance that everything is probably fine sucked. I'm not worried about the baby but that's 3 inches over what it's supposed to be. Is my due date wrong? Is he going to be 15 pounds? Are there two? Oh! And then he got irritated when Matt asked for a note saying that I needed him home for two weeks. He said that his office should supply paperwork for him to fill out, but they just want a note and he got all pissy. I don't want to see this guy again.

Gosh, it's almost like you expect to be treated like a customer.  Don't you realize that you're only there to fill in the hours he needs to be able to bill? :cursing:

:grouphug: , Slash.  Is there a practice manager or patient advocate to whom you can voice your concern?

So don't. (If you have that option.)

I think it's normal to be bigger with subsequent babies, simply because the body remembers what is going to happen anyway and gives up trying to hold it all in.  :lol:

ETA: And there goes a my-pregnant-body-gave-up-the-ghost (aka ab muscles) BOOYA!

Edited by Renai
  • Like 5

I don't do that. I put all of *that* stuff on cards and do one of the cards every other Saturday or so. My house is clean and it takes like half an hour a week. It's easier.

My spring cleaning consists of getting rid of a whole lot of clutter. That has to be dumped - cold turkey style - or it will never get done. Once the clutter is gone, we go back to maintenance mode. We're currently in crisis mode.

Since both of us work full time, weekends are rest (family time), laundromat, grocery shopping, and church. 

• Like 1

I always measured big, like 2-4 inches ahead.  I had a lot of amniotic fluid.  My babies were not huge.  There were never two of them. If you had a basic idea of tracking your cycle, you aren't three weeks off on dates.  I agreed to an induction (and even asked for it) with baby #2 out of an irrational fear that he would be huge because baby #1 was 7 pounds, 12 ounces at 37 1/2 weeks, and baby #2 went to term (almost).  He was 7 pounds, 14 ounces when induced at 39 weeks, 5 days.  I was also not given a sonogram.  Sonograms are notoriously inaccurate for dating at this stage.  They are also inaccurate for predicting weight at term.  

That said, docs should not make a pg lady to feel stupid.  It is unkind.  However, they also don't do sonograms because mamas are worried because then that is all they would spend their time doing.  It is important that you feel comfortable with your doctor and that the person who is cutting you open and removing your child is someone you actually trust so I hope you can give a request to see a doc other than that one.  And docs don't usually write notes, but they will have office staff stamp them with their siggie if you present a reasonable request, which having someone to help you for two weeks after major surgery is since you aren't supposed to lift and such.

I want you to listen to texasmama for a minute here, okay?  You are okay, and your baby is okay.  Anxiety about these things is normal.  There is only one baby, probably a boy.  There are not two.  Everything will go well and everyone will be fine.   :grouphug:

• Like 7