• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I've not given a proper update, so since I'm online I guess I can do it now. Kind of.

Um...hmmm. What should I say?

March 1st was a teacher in-service. Yep, on a Tuesday. It was quite productive as I had a vertical alignment meeting with the kindergarten teachers, and we agreed on expectations of incoming kindergarteners. The consensus is they are still 5, and even though it would be nice for them to have a lot of letter and number knowledge, many won't, and it is something that is worked on along with phonological awareness. I shared with them the prek early learning guideline rubrics that go from age 3 through end of kindergarten, and they used that as a base for their beginning of the year expectations. They were pleasantly surprised at the amount of work we do and the level of progress students make in our care. :D

March 3rd I received an email stating that the other prek teacher and I had to attend a mandatory 3-day training beginning on March 7. So started the scramble of approved leave and getting subs. But, I had to completely re-work my lesson plans to account for having a sub. I called dh to ask if he could pick up Gymnast from school at 11 each day and drop her off at the house with dd16. Thankfully, it all worked out. 

March 4th I (and the girls) rode with some church women to attend a women's conference. It was fun. Gymnast attended the Princess Party and loved it! She keeps asking when the next Princess Party will be. Bless her heart. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LW0sD9WH2fuCSTsjzDDzhHfmRA3a4HcAWg/view?usp=sharing

March 5th Dd16 attended a concert with Manic Drive, 5ive, DJ Overcomer, and some others. She rode with the pastor and had a good time.

March 6th we made pizzas. Bread machine did most of the work, but everyone got their own dough to make their crust. We also chose toppings. It turned out all veggie. Also that night, 5ive and DJ Overcomer had a concert at our church. We jumped up and down and shouted "Hey!" at the appointed times. They had a great testimony. I like this song: 

March 7th started training. It was actually pretty good. I learned a lot and there were a lot of practical literacy ideas to incorporate in the class.

March 9th was the day my temporary plate expired on my car. I did not make it to the mvd.

March 10th I returned to my class and was glad I only had one day with the kids. That afternoon, I took dd16 to her follow-up appointment. Since she had stopped taking the fluocinonide on her skin, her skin looks better. I asked a couple of questions that prairiewindmomma so graciously brought up, which made me sound more intelligent than I really am. I noticed that the dr was actually a lot more forthcoming with information and started speaking less dumbed-down to me. I finally figured out why when she asked at the end of the appointment if I had a medical background.  :lol:  Anyway, dd16 will not need a chemo pill, and she'll just continue with the vitamin D-derived cream. Another follow-up in July. Also, the car ran really well on the 2-hour round trip, and me very happy I had it. On the way home, dh called and informed me his truck broke down AGAIN. This is the 3rd or 4th time. It's currently back in the shop.

March 12 is today! I finally registered the car. I had to pay an extra $30 because I was late, and $25 because it's not a state office. Sigh. I also ran the car through a car wash. And then it rained. And snowed. All the apricot blooms will probably fall off the trees. But I have already lamented that fact, and we had predicted that would happen anyway. We watched The Croods (again) while eating Little Caesar's, and dd16 and I later watched Idiocracy. Enough said.

Somewhere in all this, I started getting texts from the landlord saying his brother was saying that our dogs keep barking at all hours of the night. In fact, our dogs are normally inside. I forgot one night, but they don't bark all night. They will bark though. But, mostly sleep. I think it's time his brother got another girlfriend. He hasn't had one in a while. I kept that to myself though. I also didn't tell him that his brother's dogs howl all day and night anytime he's not home.

Well, I think that's it. I'm currently planning next week of school for dd16. Also, I'm doing the Give Me 20 reading challenge with Gymnast (http://www.bookitprogram.com/givemetwenty/default.asp). Oh, and I need to find her birth certificate so she'll be completely registered for soccer. I have no idea where it is. And I need to finish writing up the Spanish course templates.

Ok, now I think that's it.

• Like 12

We're back. I went to the phone store and played with the tablets. Apparently if I got one there it would have to go on my plan which would cost an additional $10 a month for a few gigs I wouldn't use so no go. I have decided on The Galaxy Tab A for $250 which I will buy after we move.

I still haven't figured out how to effectively use these Tablets with Microsoft Word and whatnot.  

Have you looked into Google drive?

I'd spend at least a week in DC if you can manage the expense.  You could literally spend 3 months in DC and not see it all, so read up & plan.  I prefer to fly into Reagan National.  DC is manageable without a car if you must, but I preferred having a car when I could arrange it. Crystal City has some of the more affordable hotels, fwiw. 

Our favorites:

Smithsonians & the Mall & Lincoln Reflecting Pool/other memorials on the Mall

Holocaust Museum

Spy Museum

National Archives (with all of the original documents---across the street from the Smithsonians)

Washington National Cathedral

dinner in Georgetown!

Capitol Hill

not worth it, imo:

Folger Shakespeare museum

zoo

Supreme Court tour

I agree with all of this except that we don't get a car when we go. Not that you shouldn't, it's just a personal preference.

I have an iPad, and despite the fact that I use it all the time, I would much rather have an iPad-sized PC. Is that what an android tablet is? I am definitely a PC person. There are too many things about Macs that annoy me.

There are two different kinds of tablets. Windows tablets are like little PCs without the disk drive, mouse or keyboard. Android tablets are like giant phones without the phone line. They are very different.

(No h just for Slacheypoo.)

:001_wub:

Susan, what kind of device do you want? Android or windows, attached keyboard or attachable keyboard, and how big of a screen?

• Like 4

I have found the most amazing thing (to me, anyway). It's a free ebook with 501 writing prompts for high school students. It is divided into four sections: persuasive writing, expository, narrative, and literary response. There are sample essays and rubrics. I think it will be helpful as I plan her Spanish writing, of which she has done nothing this year. Here's the link: http://www.misd.net/languageart/grammarinaction/501writingprompts.pdf

• Like 6

I would much rather have an iPad-sized PC.

Do you want a computer or a tablet? A tablet, be it an iPod, iPhone, iPad, or Samsung, or any number of all touch-screen flat devices, is generally going to be substantially different in function from a PC or a Mac. Android is a MOBILE operating system. It supports Google Docs which, while a much better value for money than Microsoft, are still inferior to MS Office Suite. For the record, I have a MacBook with MS Office installed on it, use an iPhone but miss my windows phone, and do most of my shared documents on Google drive. I've always tended towards ecumenicalism. ;)

I would love a Surface but need more functionality, more memory, than the Surface provides. Unfortunately the Surface that can do what my MacBook does costs as much as a MacBook, and doesn't sync as well. However, if you are not running large queries on a SQL server or anything like that, I have heard great things about the Surface. The perfect blend of function and fun, and comes with MS Office in some cases.

So that's my suggestion.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

It is 11:15 at night and my 14 year old is not  home yet.  I am "a word that I'm not supposed to use on this site".  I know where she was - Denny's.  And I had ok'd Denny's.  But she said that she would be home by 10:30 and she wasn't.  And she didn't even let me know until I texted her to find out what was going on at 11 pm. 

• Like 5

It is 11:15 at night and my 14 year old is not  home yet.  I am "a word that I'm not supposed to use on this site".  I know where she was - Denny's.  And I had ok'd Denny's.  But she said that she would be home by 10:30 and she wasn't.  And she didn't even let me know until I texted her to find out what was going on at 11 pm. 

:grouphug:  Dd16 would do this and it pissed me off. She did a lot better last weekend when I allowed her to go to the concert with the pastor. But, I had reamed her out (again) before buying the ticket to let her go. Having a phone and not keeping in touch is just not acceptable.

• Like 4

You need to call my mom and commiserate, Jean. She would totally get you right now.

• Like 6

I will calm down before I set any consequences.  So probably tomorrow.  I know that it is the fault of all of her friends being much older than her (which really isn't a "fault"  per se)  They have cars so she has to depend on them.  They don't have curfews.  And actually I hadn't even set a curfew so it isn't really about that.  But as Renai said, it's about having the means to contact me and not bothering to. 

I've already calmed down from "grounding her for life".  ;) 

• Like 7

I will calm down before I set any consequences.  So probably tomorrow.  I know that it is the fault of all of her friends being much older than her (which really isn't a "fault"  per se)  They have cars so she has to depend on them.  They don't have curfews.  And actually I hadn't even set a curfew so it isn't really about that.  But as Renai said, it's about having the means to contact me and not bothering to. 

I've already calmed down from "grounding her for life".  ;)

I remember being about 18 and going out with some friends. (They were good kids, so mom wasn't worried.) Her only statement was "Don't stay out too late" because we had an early wakeup for a trip. She didn't wait up and I got home about 3am. 

The next morning, she asked me what time I got home and I told her that "technically, it was very early. Very, very early in the morning. But, you didn't make the distinction about how late was late." 

She actually let me win that argument. lol 

**She DID want to know where I was until 3am. We were just at my friend's house in the middle of nowhere talking. She also informed me that in her book, 3am was pretty late, so not to use that excuse again. haha

• Like 7

I remember being about 18 and going out with some friends. (They were good kids, so mom wasn't worried.) Her only statement was "Don't stay out too late" because we had an early wakeup for a trip. She didn't wait up and I got home about 3am. 

The next morning, she asked me what time I got home and I told her that "technically, it was very early. Very, very early in the morning. But, you didn't make the distinction about how late was late." 

She actually let me win that argument. lol 

**She DID want to know where I was until 3am. We were just at my friend's house in the middle of nowhere talking. She also informed me that in her book, 3am was pretty late, so not to use that excuse again. haha

I did the exact same thing, except I got back at 6 a.m.   :leaving:  And my dad was not pleased.

• Like 4

Tsuga, perhaps I have an ecumenical streak too.  I've always been a PC/windows user.  But when I was given an old I phone by a family member who upgraded, it just made sense to my brain.  We tried a cheap Samsung pay as you go phone for the kids at one time and I could not for the life of me figure that thing out.  I never could find how to set any restrictions on it. 

Unfortunately the I-phone just gets more and more expensive.  The ones we have, we have because of family members getting a good deal on upgrades (i.e. from Verizon).  But they don't have the same offer anymore.  I'm guessing because the I-phone costs so much that it no longer made sense to offer the discounted upgrades they used to offer. 

• Like 3

Good Morning!

We're staying home again. Their fevers are finally gone. No one has had fever since Friday. I want to keep it that way too. :) Some are still coughing a lot.

It is damp, dreary, and rainy here.

I wonder, will the math-a-thon nationals be televised like the spelling bee competition? It should be. :)

• Like 3

Speaking of baby. You know how when you Google something a bunch of images pop up above the search results? Well, I was trying to remember how the baby leaving the body process goes so I googled mucus plug. Don't do that. A bunch of regurgitated banana slugs will pop up on your screen and you won't be able to eat for a few hours.

LOL

Welcome back, Slache!

• Like 1

Tsuga, perhaps I have an ecumenical streak too.  I've always been a PC/windows user.  But when I was given an old I phone by a family member who upgraded, it just made sense to my brain.  We tried a cheap Samsung pay as you go phone for the kids at one time and I could not for the life of me figure that thing out.  I never could find how to set any restrictions on it. 

Unfortunately the I-phone just gets more and more expensive.  The ones we have, we have because of family members getting a good deal on upgrades (i.e. from Verizon).  But they don't have the same offer anymore.  I'm guessing because the I-phone costs so much that it no longer made sense to offer the discounted upgrades they used to offer. 

We are a four iphone family on a family plan.  Now what AT&T does is charge you a monthly equipment fee and then refund it via a credit for something else.  This lasts for a very long time.  I forget how long.  So essentially, you get a free, new iphone but you are stuck with AT&T for life, which we are anyway because dh does not do change so it works for us.  I mostly stay out of it because it is all whacked to me.

• Like 2

A person I know well dealt with coming home late in an interesting way. She charged for her time. Since she wouldn't go to bed until her children returned to the house, she charged a price for every five minutes that she was kept waiting. Took the drama out of it, since these children were unlikely to be in trouble, just likely to lose track of time at a parent-approved activity. :001_smile:

I am supposed to be doing school right now. We all went to bed early, to assist with the time change. Didn't help. We woke up at the usual time, when the light hits a certain luminosity in the windows. But we are all exceptionally well rested. :D

• Like 8

I forgot the time change till really late in the evening & so didn't go to bed as early as I should have. Then I wasn't sure whether my alarm was smart enough to figure out the time change & I guessed wrong so I woke up an hour early unnecessarily.

Then I wasted 1.5 h drinking coffee & scrolling through fb & twitter.  

I really need to start running the Cold Turkey app. 

• Like 4

I really like the idea of charging your kids for your time. It's simple.

I like iPhones, iPads, and iPods but I do not care for Apple computers. I might if I owned one and got used to it, but they are different than their app based products.

I never mind the time change. We have very casual Sunday mornings because we don't go to Sunday School because we're heathens so we really don't notice. By the time we get home our biological clocks are reset.

• Like 4

A person I know well dealt with coming home late in an interesting way. She charged for her time. Since she wouldn't go to bed until her children returned to the house, she charged a price for every five minutes that she was kept waiting. Took the drama out of it, since these children were unlikely to be in trouble, just likely to lose track of time at a parent-approved activity. :001_smile:

I am supposed to be doing school right now. We all went to bed early, to assist with the time change. Didn't help. We woke up at the usual time, when the light hits a certain luminosity in the windows. But we are all exceptionally well rested. :D

I am so stealing this idea.

• Like 4

Whew!  I'm tired.  I have been doing more laundry, more time figuring out 1 weird tax thing, making bread (which I rarely do, but 10yo ds has been asking for weeks - months?), and actually spent a few minutes on a small mess in the boys room.  I don't normally do that (because they should), but I had mercy on them since they're at a chess tourney all weekend. 

• Like 2

when will I learn not to go on the chat board? I was enjoying the Ingalls thread & then... 

And I posted on something else and then.... 

Lesson learned. Back to ITT my happy place. I think my motto will be "other places can be visited but cautiously and with the Post button mostly disabled"

• Like 9

Lesson learned. Back to ITT my happy place. I think my motto will be "other places can be visited but cautiously and with the Post button mostly disabled"

I do that a lot. My read to post ratio is probably 7:1 or higher. Probably 15:1 on the Chat board. Interesting conversations sometimes, but I don't like crowded places. To easy to tread on somebody's toes or get my eye bumped by somebody's elbow.

In other news, I have finally learned how to draw a straight line. I feel proud.

• Like 4

Was the person naked except for their socks prior?

Okay. Okay. 1. Are Christians naked until they get into the heavenly gates or what? 2. This explains so much... except it's all children getting raptured. No adults, except on football Sundays. HMMMMMM.

• Like 2

There are two different kinds of tablets. Windows tablets are like little PCs without the disk drive, mouse or keyboard. Android tablets are like giant phones without the phone line. They are very different.

:001_wub:

Susan, what kind of device do you want? Android or windows, attached keyboard or attachable keyboard, and how big of a screen?

It looks like I probably want a windows tablet that I could attach a keyboard to. To which I could attach a keyboard. The screen of my iPad is a decent size - I might want a little bigger, but not so big that I would need a huge laptop bag to carry it around in. Maybe I am being too fussy.

• Like 2

In other news, I have finally learned how to draw a straight line. I feel proud.

yay you! 

vertical, horizontal, diagonal or all???  I didn't realize this was a hard thing until I noticed ds couldn't do it & then I had to figure out what I did & how so I could try to show him... 

• Like 3

It looks like I probably want a windows tablet that I could attach a keyboard to. To which I could attach a keyboard. The screen of my iPad is a decent size - I might want a little bigger, but not so big that I would need a huge laptop bag to carry it around in. Maybe I am being too fussy.

I think you want the Surface. I've heard great things about it, again, unless you are trying to link 50,000 row spreadsheets to Power Point graphs. They don't have the memory for that.

• Like 1

when will I learn not to go on the chat board? I was enjoying the Ingalls thread & then...

Don't swim in the sea!!!!
  • Like 3

Okay. Okay. 1. Are Christians naked until they get into the heavenly gates or what? 2. This explains so much... except it's all children getting raptured. No adults, except on football Sundays. HMMMMMM.

Maybe the socks were too dirty to make it into heaven?

PSA - Kids, change your socks or you will be barefoot in heaven!

• Like 7

I went back for the drama, which I no doubt had a part in starting, and it's gone.  :001_rolleyes:  I was trying to be respectful of people's sensibilities but oh well.

I just had homemade pad thai leftovers for breakfast. I make such a great pad thai! We had it with chicken to please the kiddies. Nom.

• Like 2

The Bible doesn't specify. Revelation is complicated. I believe there are two raptures. There's no reason to believe all children get raptured. I'm not helping, am I?

Surface. :)

• Like 2

vertical, horizontal, diagonal or all???  I didn't realize this was a hard thing until I noticed ds couldn't do it & then I had to figure out what I did & how so I could try to show him... 

All. I've always found it next to impossible to connect two points properly. I'm working through Key to Geometry and there was the solution! Line up the ruler, but not with the points. Instead, use your pencil on one point as the stop, then swing the ruler up to the other, set your pencil against that point, check and draw. Perfectly through both points every time.

I mentioned this to DH who looked nonplussed. "I thought everyone knew to do that." Nope.

I told him that I was very excited about the Key to Geometry as an excellent Pre-Geometry course for the boys to take concurrent with their algebra. I said that it seemed to me like a perfect course in "How to Use the Tools", which is a great thing to learn. It is so much easier to solve a problem when you know how to use the tools for the job.

As far as the rapture goes, if I can't go in my fuzzy socks, there will be tears in heaven.

• Like 6

I went back for the drama, which I no doubt had a part in starting, and it's gone. :001_rolleyes: I was trying to be respectful of people's sensibilities but oh well.

I just had homemade pad thai leftovers for breakfast. I make such a great pad thai! We had it with chicken to please the kiddies. Nom.

We're going to need a recipe!

• Like 3