Menu

Ignore this thread!

True that on most of the video.

I am a sorry about the meds :grouphug:

Talking to the kids is a hard thing. I got this from a virus that ds11 had as a baby that gave him a stroke (he is fine now). They have never really seen the non-sick me except for a couple year stretch on a med that actually helped some. Dh is very sweet in that he tells them about the non-sick me kind of in that way that people who have lost a spouse or parent tell their kids about dad or grandpa's attributes. Not everyone would like that but I do because I feel like I get to live my old life just for a little while if only in my head.

I have tried to be very matter of fact about it. I want them to know that sickness happens a lot in life. And as much as it sucks, I want them to know that the world won't end even if it experiences an earthquake. I keep going because I want them to see what that looks like. I divide as much housework etc among them as I can. I couch it as, "this is how you learn independence for the future" rather than, "this is falling on your shoulders because I am sick." (Sometimes they know they need to pick up the slack because of a major round of ill. That is part of the family life. We all lift each other up when it's needed.)

Because I have had this so long, I try not to talk about it with the kids a lot. (Obviously, what you are getting ready for deserves a definite conversation.) I know it sounds goofy, but I don't want to give them my burden. That is for me (and to some extent Dh because of the whole, "in sickness and in health" thing, lol.)

If I can't do something with them, I try to find other reasons to give first so that they aren't always hearing how sick I am.

I have NO idea if that helps. It fits my personality to treat it this way because I don't like getting emotional. Someone who has more of an emotion-based facet to their personality might find my approach unhealthy for them. I compartmentalize naturally. So it works for me.

As I type this, I am realizing how much this is woven into the fabric of our lives. And how much any of what I do with them depends on their ages, etc. Nothing is ever easy, is it?

This is so sweet.  I can hardly remember the non-sick me.  :crying:

One chronic pain story and then I'm going back into obscurity.

A couple of years ago I had more pain than usual and in places I don't usually have it.  I went to the ER.  I was walking down the hall with the triage nurse and was joking with him and he commented that I didn't really act like someone in a lot of pain.  I told him that I had chronic pain and that made me a BA.  I don't think he believed me but he was polite and they did all the right scans etc.  He came back in right after the scan to say "You have kidney stones!  How come you aren't writhing in pain?"  I reminded him that I was a chronic pain BA.  He told me that I was a lot more fun to treat than most of their patients. 

I have the same problem with pain.  When I was giving birth to dd7, the anesthesiologists were trying to give me pain meds.  I told them my pain was a 4.  Then they watched me through a contraction.  They promptly declared that my pain was a 7 or an 8 and gave me more meds.

You know all that talk about chronic pain and illness?  The internet can be our distraction and our refuge and sometimes our  only contact with the outside world. 

When I'm not around here much?  I'm either in such a bad way that I can't even make it to my happy place or I'm so good that I'm running around in the real world outside my doorway. 

Exactly this.

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Hugs for my chronic illness ITT friends.  I do not understand because I do not experience chronic pain.  I have only hugs and my part of the ITT to hold up as a soft place for you all to fall, as it is for all of us, for so many different reasons.  

• Like 7

I want a cupcake. :(

Frosted Booya.

It was meh. But, it was sugar and made me a bit nicer. 

I have leftover chocolate birthday cake with fudge frosting. I will cut it into a cupcake shape and share it with you.

My coworker snagged the last chocolate before they got down to me. I'll take cake or cupcakes. I'm good either way! :D 

• Like 3

We're going to break it into parts, post each small part here under "unpleasant tasks to complete", and then we will all cheer when you finish each part.  It can take many days.  No rush.

I don't know how he can compact so.much.stuff into one small computer desk.

I'll work on the papers. So.many.papers. And I'm kind of annoyed because there are existing files and whatnot where he could put that stuff instead of filing it on his desk. But I digress...

• Like 2

I'll work on the papers. So.many.papers. And I'm kind of annoyed because there are existing files and whatnot where he could put that stuff instead of filing it on his desk. But I digress...

Sorta like when dh is picking up crayons and stuffs them into the colored pencil cup instead of putting them with the rest of the crayons in the crayon cup. Which is right there. You can't miss it.

:D

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

How did my husband get into your house with his papers?   

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

This happened to me about 75 posts ago.  You buys have been busy.busy.busy! 

I took 14yo ds to orthodontist today.  Because nothing says "money to burn" like 3 people in braces at once, lol.  Oh, and he needs his wisdom teeth out by the end of the year.  (And oldest needs his out too, I've just been putting it off.)

pegacorn sounds like peppercorns.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  to all my ITT friends who endure so much all the time!

Heather, what an awesome piano teacher!

Elephant Ninjas reporting for duty in Texas!

Kudos to Susan surviving Braindead Tuesday.

Ellie, you can do it!  You can do it!  You can do it!

Mary, enjoy your introvert time - good call!  I don't think I could come home and talk to my children if I had to deal with other kids all day first. 

Renai, :grouphug: .  Elephant Ninjas are available if you need them, right after we stop off in Texas.  :gnorsi:

• Like 7

How did my husband get into your house with his papers? :confused1:   

He cleans out about once a year.  He has a scary "filing system" including balancing a huge ledger of business checks on the edge of a trash can. :huh:  

Yeah.

Mr. Ellie does not have a single administrative bone in his body. Not one. He tends to hoard papers. For example, he is a Gideon (you know those Bibles in your hotel rooms? Gideons put 'em in there.); the Gideons International sends out a little magazine monthly; Mr. Ellie has about five or six years' worth of those things. They used to be 5.5 x 8.5 and were easy to store; now they are 8.5 x 11 and so not so easy. They are going to go away. Also, he gets a publication from Toastmasters and from a national men's barbershop group. He files them on his desk, even though *right next to it* is a bookcase with space for them. Well, not all of them, because he doesn't need to hang on to them, either. ::heavy sigh::

If he weren't so darned cute and useful around the house this would be much more annoying, lol.

• Like 6

Yeah.

Mr. Ellie does not have a single administrative bone in his body. Not one. He tends to hoard papers. For example, he is a Gideon (you know those Bibles in your hotel rooms? Gideons put 'em in there.); the Gideons International sends out a little magazine monthly; Mr. Ellie has about five or six years' worth of those things. They used to be 5.5 x 8.5 and were easy to store; now they are 8.5 x 11 and so not so easy. They are going to go away. Also, he gets a publication from Toastmasters and from a national men's barbershop group. He files them on his desk, even though *right next to it* is a bookcase with space for them. Well, not all of them, because he doesn't need to hang on to them, either. ::heavy sigh::

If he weren't so darned cute and useful around the house this would be much more annoying, lol.

I've seen him. He's pretty cute.  :)

• Like 3

I did survive, didn't I! Even survived passing (several times) the creepy mom who once followed me out of the building and glared and scowled at me while I put my stuff away in the back of the van and for a while after that. I am not sure when she stopped because I drove off. Her teenaged daughter glared at me a week or so later at the band concert. I am chalking it up to mental illness.

• Like 3

Dh does this too when his back hurts.

I have pain, but unfortunately the pain is trumped by the fatigue, lol.

Wow, aren't we all in a happy place today, lol. We need more jokes. Or kittehs. Renai has to post another pic of her new baby. That will make us all smile. Mary's students will wonder what happened:-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c72MIxlmz6xJ0HLPQj00vwaiSca1P4MJ5Q/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Hugs for my chronic illness ITT friends. I do not understand because I do not experience chronic pain. I have only hugs and my part of the ITT to hold up as a soft place for you all to fall, as it is for all of us, for so many different reasons.

I second this. I read your stories and applaud your strength and endurance.
  • Like 1

I'm having a craving for onion rings right now. To be dipped in some kind of tangy sauce. Kind of like Thousand Island dressing, but more upscale. A steak house. I'm channeling a steak house experience. Yes, that's it. The onion rings followed by a crisp green salad with blue cheese dressing. And filet mignon with twice baked potato. Mud pie for dessert.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

I'm afraid I have no birth stories but....

1) my two boys - mid June afternoon got the call from the social worker there were two boys. Made an appointment to meet them a week from the call. Met them, were placed in a couple days.

2) dd #1 - got a call from social worker at 11:52am on a blustery March Monday morning. Picked her up from the hospital at 3:30 that afternoon. She was 2 days old.

3) dd's 2&3 - got a call on a Wed. Afternoon in late August, had phone interview with Social worker the following Monday, met the girl the following Tuesday, took placement Labor Day weekend.

Krissi, I read this earlier when I was not quite coherent.

I didn't know that your kids were adopted.  Blessings on your family!  :001_wub:

I would applaud you a thousand times if I could.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

Dd and I are having a knock down drag out fight debate.  One of us is team Unipeg.  One is team pegacorn (or pegicorn with a hard g no matter what the phonics says).  I was looking for support so that I could trounce her.  I haven't gotten it.  :crying: :crying:

Besides alacorn, pegacorn is acceptable, says dd16.

• Like 3

I'm having a craving for onion rings right now. To be dipped in some kind of tangy sauce. Kind of like Thousand Island dressing, but more upscale. A steak house. I'm channeling a steak house experience. Yes, that's it. The onion rings followed by a crisp green salad with blue cheese dressing. And filet mignon with twice baked potato. Mud pie for dessert.

I had that exact craving my first trimester.

Do you mean the church secretary thing?  Or are you getting another job?

I'm at the choich. It's not bad, but my bed is better.

• Like 4

Those super mom pills do amazing things for my memory. I'd describe it for you but I can't remember now that I'm not taking them. I understand if you don't want to take those pills in particular, but there are lots of memory aids out there, I just don't remember what any of them are called.

:lol:

• Like 1

Count me in with the sleepers.  Lights were out by 9:30 pm. I slept in until 7 am.  I did not get up last night.  At all.  :huh:

I've been getting up with the dog, so I think I may have been tired.

Lynn:  I am convinced that breakfast cereal is of the devil.  It is very carb heavy; what you are describing sounds like a carb crash.  Try adding more protein to your breakfast.  I second the "almonds as snack" idea. 

We do spinach quiche for breakfast on CC days.  If I make it the night before it's super easy to eat and run, and carries us through the whole morning and even afternoon errands.*

*I say this like I'm always just so well-prepared for CC days.  In fact, we have done the quiche thing exactly once.  Today.  But it worked wonders and was much nicer than cereal.   :lol: 

• Like 7

I'm afraid I have no birth stories but....

1) my two boys - mid June afternoon got the call from the social worker there were two boys. Made an appointment to meet them a week from the call. Met them, were placed in a couple days.

2) dd #1 - got a call from social worker at 11:52am on a blustery March Monday morning. Picked her up from the hospital at 3:30 that afternoon. She was 2 days old.

3) dd's 2&3 - got a call on a Wed. Afternoon in late August, had phone interview with Social worker the following Monday, met the girl the following Tuesday, took placement Labor Day weekend.

I want to triple-like this.   :hurray:

ITT friends, my dh, a goodhearted, volunteer coach for the boys' bball team, was reamed out by a team dad who pulled his son from the team.  It is the special snowflake family.  The email was so ugly I cannot even.   Blurgh.  I told dh that if we don't get the uniform back that he has, I will file a police report.  Dh says I am not allowed to.  Sigh.

Would it be bad to run them down in my car?  Cover them with syrup and let red ants loose on them?  Infest their home with scorpions?

:leaving:

(I mean, that email was BAD.)

Argggg!  No one messes with Mr. Tex. There are just. no. words.  

:mad:  :angry:   :toetap05:    :cursing:  

:driving:    :auto:     :ack2:

:leaving:

:cheers2:  

• Like 3