Menu

Ignore this thread!

I've heard both. But the better word is alacorn. You obviously were not paying attention a few pages back when I discussed this in depth.

Dd and I are having a knock down drag out fight debate.  One of us is team Unipeg.  One is team pegacorn (or pegicorn with a hard g no matter what the phonics says).  I was looking for support so that I could trounce her.  I haven't gotten it.  :crying: :crying:

• Like 5

Dd and I are having a knock down drag out fight debate.  One of us is team Unipeg.  One is team pegacorn (or pegicorn with a hard g no matter what the phonics says).  I was looking for support so that I could trounce her.  I haven't gotten it.  :crying: :crying:

Pegacorn sounds like a side dish so no.

• Like 4

1. Shower chair--it's where it is at! Be sure to get the kind with a seat drain. I still haven't showered today either.

2. Our new house has a small water heater--too small to fully heat my bath tub.  Whine with me, because, seriously, that's sad and awful.

3. Sofia the First has new episodes on Netflix this week, so dd's pony consumption is down.

4. My Christmas stuff all fits into one box. We have a tree and stockings and a front door wreath, that's it.  I downsized all of the Christmas stuff with our move.  Dh takes care of it all.  It takes less than 30 min to put up and take down.

5. I am avoiding getting the mail because my mail order drugs might be there.  I'm SO not excited about meds that are going to make my hair fall out and puke.  

6. Dh's car repairs still look modest at this point. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't need a new starter and a/c compressor too!  I don't want to have to add car shopping to my to-do list (or pay for a different car).

7. How do you talk with your kids about your chronic health issues?  We're going to need to do another round of discussion if I'm going to be really ill from these meds. I worry that my oldest does too much to help out already (& that my middle kids are slackers).

3.  Dd5 has some speech problems.  She calls her Sowia the Wirst.  The older kids agree about the "Worst" part.  We don't watch MLP.

5.   :grouphug:

6.  Fingers crossed.  Sort of.  #RAproblems

7.  I don't know that we really talk about it much here.  I was diagnosed when my dc were 6, 4, 2, newborn (and 2 non-existent).  Handicapped Mommy is the only Mommy that most of them remember.  No advice.  Sorry.

• Like 5

The bolded gets my vote.  Nothing should feel like the Grand Canyon.  And no Julius Caesar for 11 year old boys.  Just no.

They are twelve, but sometime they act like they are about two. To me, they are still the age to read Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, and short stories. Not Julius Caesar. 

I can put together one heck of a writing course with some direct essay instruction and Homer using more substantial models from literature. Meanwhile, I'll tackle Maxim using what is suggested, and then I'll have a better idea of how to alter it for the boys for eighth or ninth grade, eh?

• Like 2

ITT friends, my dh, a goodhearted, volunteer coach for the boys' bball team, was reamed out by a team dad who pulled his son from the team. It is the special snowflake family. The email was so ugly I cannot even. Blurgh. I told dh that if we don't get the uniform back that he has, I will file a police report. Dh says I am not allowed to. Sigh.

Would it be bad to run them down in my car? Cover them with syrup and let red ants loose on them? Infest their home with scorpions?

:leaving:

(I mean, that email was BAD.)

Sic a pegacorn on them. I think the pegacorns (or whatever) will always fight for good. Edited by Professormom
  • Like 4

ITT friends, my dh, a goodhearted, volunteer coach for the boys' bball team, was reamed out by a team dad who pulled his son from the team.  It is the special snowflake family.  The email was so ugly I cannot even.   Blurgh.  I told dh that if we don't get the uniform back that he has, I will file a police report.  Dh says I am not allowed to.  Sigh.

Would it be bad to run them down in my car?  Cover them with syrup and let red ants loose on them?  Infest their home with scorpions?

Who writes those kinds of emails? 

I've always hoped that they have some kind of serious mental illness that can be resolved when we are all healed in the hereafter because otherwise my faith in humanity drops a bit.

Fertilizer on someone's lawn. Write words. I had a client who did that once.  Actually, I have a long list of bad, bad things my clients have done.  All of them ended up arrested and in court, though, which is how I met them. Maybe not such a good idea. ;)

• Like 2

They are twelve, but sometime they act like they are about two. To me, they are still the age to read Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, and short stories. Not Julius Caesar. 

I can put together one heck of a writing course with some direct essay instruction and Homer using more substantial models from literature. Meanwhile, I'll tackle Maxim using what is suggested, and then I'll have a better idea of how to alter it for the boys for eighth or ninth grade, eh?

Ack!  They grew.  Kids keep doing that...

Yes, this is what we are going to do.  I like it.

• Like 1

I am grumpy, grouchy and my patience is wearing very thin.

The children are outside playing in the snow. Maybe a break will help. But then they will come in, covered in snow, with wet gloves, coats, etc followed by a cold wet trail through the laundry room.

Maybe a break will help.

I just had 4 mini candy bars. It didn't help. 

I'm counting down until I can go home. I'm even leaving dd at school until 4:30 so I can just have some introvert time. I'm so done. 

• Like 4

The children are outside playing in the snow. Maybe a break will help. But then they will come in, covered in snow, with wet gloves, coats, etc followed by a cold wet trail through the laundry room.

No snow here, but I have a strict policy of drop your duds at the laundry room. Gloves go on top of the dryer, shoes on a dog-towel set beside the door to soak up the drips. Children throw all wet things that will be used again into the dryer. Then I get it going and all report to the fireplace for warming while things dry out.

• Like 2

Sick a pegacorn on them. I think the pegacorns (or whatever) will always fight for good.

Imma stick a pegacorn up their butts. :hat:

Who writes those kinds of emails? 

I've always hoped that they have some kind of serious mental illness that can be resolved when we are all healed in the hereafter because otherwise my faith in humanity drops a bit.

Fertilizer on someone's lawn. Write words. I had a client who did that once.  Actually, I have a long list of bad, bad things my clients have done.  All of them ended up arrested and in court, though, which is how I met them. Maybe not such a good idea. ;)

So far as I can tell, they have special snowflake illness.

I like the fertilizer idea.  Sometimes I say bad words. :mellow:   However, no one ever suspects me of anything bad because I look like a soccer mom or somesuch.  I could so pull it off.

• Like 5

ITT friends, my dh, a goodhearted, volunteer coach for the boys' bball team, was reamed out by a team dad who pulled his son from the team.  It is the special snowflake family.  The email was so ugly I cannot even.   Blurgh.  I told dh that if we don't get the uniform back that he has, I will file a police report.  Dh says I am not allowed to.  Sigh.

Would it be bad to run them down in my car?  Cover them with syrup and let red ants loose on them?  Infest their home with scorpions?

Scorpions.

Or borrow Gru's freeze-ray.

I'd rather see them fall into Vector's shark tank. :D Mwahahaha

• Like 5

I have been chronically awesome for 30 years now.  My kids have never known differently.  We don't talk directly about it a lot.  It's just part of our "family culture".  So we have conversations like "Oh, remember that awesome hotdog place we went to when mom was in the ER in Seattle?"  or "Dad, have you shot Mom yet?" or  "Mom had an armchair day today" (ie. I was a semi-invalid and was not able to get up except for the bathroom.)

We have "emergency mode" and "semi emergency mode" and "rare good day mode".  Most of my days are semi-emergency.  My house is always messy.  The kids have chores but I try not to ask them to do extra unless we go into emergency mode. 

• Like 5

1. Shower chair--it's where it is at! Be sure to get the kind with a seat drain. I still haven't showered today either.

2. Our new house has a small water heater--too small to fully heat my bath tub. Whine with me, because, seriously, that's sad and awful.

3. Sofia the First has new episodes on Netflix this week, so dd's pony consumption is down.

4. My Christmas stuff all fits into one box. We have a tree and stockings and a front door wreath, that's it. I downsized all of the Christmas stuff with our move. Dh takes care of it all. It takes less than 30 min to put up and take down.

5. I am avoiding getting the mail because my mail order drugs might be there. I'm SO not excited about meds that are going to make my hair fall out and puke.

6. Dh's car repairs still look modest at this point. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't need a new starter and a/c compressor too! I don't want to have to add car shopping to my to-do list (or pay for a different car).

7. How do you talk with your kids about your chronic health issues? We're going to need to do another round of discussion if I'm going to be really ill from these meds. I worry that my oldest does too much to help out already (& that my middle kids are slackers).

I didn't expect to booyah on that.

Here's a youtube clip on life with a chronic illness since it seems like a lot of us can relate:

True that on most of the video.

I am a sorry about the meds :grouphug:

Talking to the kids is a hard thing. I got this from a virus that ds11 had as a baby that gave him a stroke (he is fine now). They have never really seen the non-sick me except for a couple year stretch on a med that actually helped some. Dh is very sweet in that he tells them about the non-sick me kind of in that way that people who have lost a spouse or parent tell their kids about dad or grandpa's attributes. Not everyone would like that but I do because I feel like I get to live my old life just for a little while if only in my head.

I have tried to be very matter of fact about it. I want them to know that sickness happens a lot in life. And as much as it sucks, I want them to know that the world won't end even if it experiences an earthquake. I keep going because I want them to see what that looks like. I divide as much housework etc among them as I can. I couch it as, "this is how you learn independence for the future" rather than, "this is falling on your shoulders because I am sick." (Sometimes they know they need to pick up the slack because of a major round of ill. That is part of the family life. We all lift each other up when it's needed.)

Because I have had this so long, I try not to talk about it with the kids a lot. (Obviously, what you are getting ready for deserves a definite conversation.) I know it sounds goofy, but I don't want to give them my burden. That is for me (and to some extent Dh because of the whole, "in sickness and in health" thing, lol.)

If I can't do something with them, I try to find other reasons to give first so that they aren't always hearing how sick I am.

I have NO idea if that helps. It fits my personality to treat it this way because I don't like getting emotional. Someone who has more of an emotion-based facet to their personality might find my approach unhealthy for them. I compartmentalize naturally. So it works for me.

As I type this, I am realizing how much this is woven into the fabric of our lives. And how much any of what I do with them depends on their ages, etc. Nothing is ever easy, is it?

• Like 4

The scorpion idea is my favorite.

And this guy complained that dh did not respond to his email fast enough. (eyes rolled so far back in my head they are stuck and I am looking at my brain here) Yeah, this is not a paid position, and dh is the sole owner/manager of a business which is the sole support of our family. He works seven days a week. So yeah, special snowflake emails did not make the cut for 36 hours.

I had strong words. :leaving:

It sounds like his email did not deserve a response. In other words, if you can't find it in you to talk to me civilly, I will not take my valuable time to respond.

Pegacorn up the butt. Enough said. Serious, people kill me sometimes.

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 4

I have been chronically awesome for 30 years now. My kids have never known differently. We don't talk directly about it a lot. It's just part of our "family culture". So we have conversations like "Oh, remember that awesome hotdog place we went to when mom was in the ER in Seattle?" or "Dad, have you shot Mom yet?" or "Mom had an armchair day today" (ie. I was a semi-invalid and was not able to get up except for the bathroom.)

We have "emergency mode" and "semi emergency mode" and "rare good day mode". Most of my days are semi-emergency. My house is always messy. The kids have chores but I try not to ask them to do extra unless we go into emergency mode.

All of this. Although I have only been at it for almost 12 years. You are my hero. Edited by Professormom
  • Like 2

I don't talk to my kids about my pain much.  Or dh.  Because who wants to hear about something they have no control over, day after day?  I only mention it when it's really bad.  Dh and ds are the only ones who can walk into a room and tell if it is a super bad day.  There is a way I hold my body very gingerly on those days that is obvious to them.  Of course if I'm in my armchair and don't even acknowledge someone coming into the room, that makes it rather obvious as well.  ;)

Perhaps I don't fool them, but I will divvy up chores at times so that we "can all get this done quickly". 

• Like 2

One chronic pain story and then I'm going back into obscurity.

A couple of years ago I had more pain than usual and in places I don't usually have it.  I went to the ER.  I was walking down the hall with the triage nurse and was joking with him and he commented that I didn't really act like someone in a lot of pain.  I told him that I had chronic pain and that made me a BA.  I don't think he believed me but he was polite and they did all the right scans etc.  He came back in right after the scan to say "You have kidney stones!  How come you aren't writhing in pain?"  I reminded him that I was a chronic pain BA.  He told me that I was a lot more fun to treat than most of their patients. 

• Like 7

I just had 4 mini candy bars. It didn't help. 

I'm counting down until I can go home. I'm even leaving dd at school until 4:30 so I can just have some introvert time. I'm so done.

:grouphug:

No snow here, but I have a strict policy of drop your duds at the laundry room. Gloves go on top of the dryer, shoes on a dog-towel set beside the door to soak up the drips. Children throw all wet things that will be used again into the dryer. Then I get it going and all report to the fireplace for warming while things dry out.

This is a good plan. Children were stripped of all wet things in laundry room. All cold wetness was confined to the rug. Hot chocolate was served and consumed. They are now playing on the Xbox. So I believe our school day is done. We only needed to do cursive so that can wait.

• Like 3

I don't talk to my kids about my pain much. Or dh. Because who wants to hear about something they have no control over, day after day? I only mention it when it's really bad. Dh and ds are the only ones who can walk into a room and tell if it is a super bad day. There is a way I hold my body very gingerly on those days that is obvious to them. Of course if I'm in my armchair and don't even acknowledge someone coming into the room, that makes it rather obvious as well. ;)

Perhaps I don't fool them, but I will divvy up chores at times so that we "can all get this done quickly".

Exactly. It is always there so talking about it just gets old. My Dh can tell too. Ds's can tell when it is really bad. Again, when you lay on the couch all day and stare at the ceiling because even reading takes too much effort, there is a hint. Lol.ndh lets me take the lead because he knows that if there is even a shot that I can do something, I will. It's like being in rebellion to the illness. I am not laying around because I want to.

I love your story about that dr. That is one thing Dh and I talk about a lot. My ability to handle discomfort is super high. I used to run and do triathlons. The pain and fatigue that came from doing my first triathlon with no training whatsoever was nothing compared to what I experience every day now.

The "you don't look sick" thing kills me too. Let's see, you have a patient who is trying NOT to suck everyone around them into the pit of misery and you hold that against them. Nice.

Ok I am done now too. Back to My Little Pony.

• Like 1

Are these the same people who wouldn't come to your house because of the pets? 

Ooooo!  Field trip and super fun group activity!  Sign me up!

You all spend too much time on the internet.  :leaving:

You know all that talk about chronic pain and illness?  The internet can be our distraction and our refuge and sometimes our  only contact with the outside world. 

When I'm not around here much?  I'm either in such a bad way that I can't even make it to my happy place or I'm so good that I'm running around in the real world outside my doorway. 

• Like 5

You know all that talk about chronic pain and illness?  The internet can be our distraction and our refuge and sometimes our  only contact with the outside world. 

When I'm not around here much?  I'm either in such a bad way that I can't even make it to my happy place or I'm so good that I'm running around in the real world outside my doorway. 

:grouphug:

• Like 1

You know all that talk about chronic pain and illness? The internet can be our distraction and our refuge and sometimes our only contact with the outside world.

When I'm not around here much? I'm either in such a bad way that I can't even make it to my happy place or I'm so good that I'm running around in the real world outside my doorway.

Yup.

But I hate the Internet. Except for ITT.

• Like 5