Menu

Ignore this thread!

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

I feel like my life is coming together so nicely. God has been so good to us.

🥰

It's a Love Slachey Booya!!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

9 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Slache

I don't know if you mean one kind or the other, but when I needed antibiotics I got them on K health for about $20. It's an app. I told them my symptoms and they wrote me a generic. It too about 20 minutes. I never left my bed. Hubby even went to go get it.

• Like 3

On 4/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, Susan in TN said:

So I got a bit of gardening done.  Planted the tubers that I got from Aldi a while back (the package said they were good until June, so fingers crossed).  4 o'clock flowers, columbines, and coneflowers.  I had 2 columbines and lost the second one - hopefully it just got planted in with the other one.  

You didn't tell us where you planted what, so I have no idea if the 4 o'clock flowers are in the green pot or not.  Won't you be surprised when they come up! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You didn't tell us where you planted what, so I have no idea if the 4 o'clock flowers are in the green pot or not.  Won't you be surprised when they come up! 

The green pot probably has that lost columbine. That sound so much like concubine...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning!

The Three Youngers all woke up with sore throats.  I think it's sinus congestion, as everyone is complaining of it and are bemoaning their attempts to breathe at night. I made them all mugs of honey mint hot water.  Tree pollen is really high right now.

The HVAC company is supposed to be here this morning to inspect our system.  Dd15 has a doctor checkup this afternoon.  Otherwise there are some phone calls I should make.  Sigh.  Better get more

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

The HVAC guy came and inspected our system, which is doing fine.  Then I called the dentist because I couldn't remember if ds17 is ready to get his wisdom teeth removed.  They said yes, so I will need to schedule him and dd19 with the oral surgeon.  I was hoping to get this done this summer while we still have our super duper health and dental insurance.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

When placing my R&S order, I also requested new sample catalogs to replace the ones I gave to a new homeschooler. I looked through the grade 6 reading sample yesterday and realized that the table of contents in the R&S readers (unlike CLE) actually specify which stories are Anabaptist!

Are you Anabaptist?

I'm Baptist, but I have Anabaptist roots on both sides of my family.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Junie said:

Are you Anabaptist?

I'm Baptist, but I have Anabaptist roots on both sides of my family.

No, definitely not and I try to avoid the non-resistance taught by Anabaptist curricula. This is part of why we no longer use CLE. I didn't know enough about Anabaptist beliefs before our homeschooling journey began and thus we used CLE for all 6 subjects for over 3 years. I initially thought R&S was the same, but mastery vs spiral method and textbooks vs workbooks, but I was wrong. CLE entwines their beliefs into their subjects in a way that isn't easily discernable unless you have a very watchful eye, whereas R&S literally labels them so you can choose to use or skip those lessons. I am learning that I really do like R&S more and more the longer we use their products.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

No, definitely not and I try to avoid the non-resistance taught by Anabaptist curricula. This is part of why we no longer use CLE. I didn't know enough about Anabaptist beliefs before our homeschooling journey began and thus we used CLE for all 6 subjects for over 3 years. I initially thought R&S was the same, but mastery vs spiral method and textbooks vs workbooks, but I was wrong. CLE entwines their beliefs into their subjects in a way that isn't easily discernable unless you have a very watchful eye, whereas R&S literally labels them so you can choose to use or skip those lessons. I am learning that I really do like R&S more and more the longer we use their products.

I thought CLE and R&S were the same program.

What is "non-resistence"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I couldn't tell if you were happy about the Anabaptist items being labeled because you wanted them or because you wanted to avoid them.

We have never used CLE or R&S anything.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I couldn't tell if you were happy about the Anabaptist items being labeled because you wanted them or because you wanted to avoid them.

We have never used CLE or R&S anything.

I had dd read the R&S Pathway readers and the CLE readers, as I was told they were wholesome. Hope they didn't present any weird doctrine. Tried R&S spelling (didn't like)nd did the Bible lessons (were fine) when kids were little.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I had dd read the R&S Pathway readers and the CLE readers, as I was told they were wholesome. Hope they didn't present any weird doctrine. Tried R&S spelling (didn't like)nd did the Bible lessons (were fine) when kids were little.

R&S, Pathway, and CLE are all different programs. Pathway, if I'm remembering correctly, is Amish. The others are Mennonite. They are all wholesome. We love the rural farm life and traditional Christian family values. Some Anabaptist views we can talk about and explain our differences in how we interpret the Scriptures. But for a very young child who is sensitive, this becomes confusing. CLE interweaves their views in a way that was hard to weed out. R&S appears to give a heads up so I can either omit it or have the discussion before the lesson. I like and appreciate that so much. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

R&S, Pathway, and CLE are all different programs. Pathway, if I'm remembering correctly, is Amish. The others are Mennonite. They are all wholesome. We love the rural farm life and traditional Christian family values. Some Anabaptist views we can talk about and explain our differences in how we interpret the Scriptures. But for a very young child who is sensitive, this becomes confusing. CLE interweaves their views in a way that was hard to weed out. R&S appears to give a heads up so I can either omit it or have the discussion before the lesson. I like and appreciate that so much. 

But R&S sells pathway, I think. I guess I just bundled CLE and R&S together in my mind as they are kind of similar with all the farm stuff. And I'm sorry, I realize "weird doctrine" is not the most diplomatic way to describe differences of opinion.

Yes, in general, I shy away from many religious curriculum because it can be difficult to weed out the interwoven messages.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We have always used R&S English 3-6.  I have them do grade 6 twice - in 6th grade and then all over again in 7th grade.  Then we move on to other things like Strunk & White, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, and Our Mother Tongue.

I had not heard of Eats, Shoots and Leaves! Our Mother Tongue has a new version with a workbook. I was planning on it some time between 7th and 9th, depending on the difficulty.

• Like 4

I’m here. I did not ketchup. Too busy at work.  But, I am hanging it up early today. I’m just tired of it all.  

Ham and bean soup for dinner with leftover Easter ham. I’m making the broth with the ham bone, so it will be extra yummy. And I made fresh bread. Batter bread, so it’s easy to throw together, but still tastes yummy.

I have used both CLE and R&S products. I tend to favor R&S, but I did like CLE’s math. I love R&S grammar. CLE’s phonics program did the trick with teaching middle DD how to read. I used about 3 different curriculums with her and she finally learned with CLE. Although you might also say that she was finally ready. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Spirea said:

I thought CLE and R&S were the same program.

What is "non-resistence"?

Refusal to bear arms/pacifist. My church has Annabaptist roots, though we are not like the Old Mennonites or Amish. My dad did alternative service during the Korean War. Over time, though it has not officially renounced it’s pacifist stance, my church (local) has come along way from where it was 80-100 years ago.  I personally am not a pacifist and I actually don’t hold to Annabaptist theology, either. I’m a Calvinist. I get into a lot of arguments at church. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Refusal to bear arms/pacifist. My church has Annabaptist roots, though we are not like the Old Mennonites or Amish. My dad did alternative service during the Korean War. Over time, though it has not officially renounced it’s pacifist stance, my church (local) has come along way from where it was 80-100 years ago.  I personally am not a pacifist and I actually don’t hold to Annabaptist theology, either. I’m a Calvinist. I get into a lot of arguments at church. 🤣

What's this? Sounds interesting. I didn't know that was possible. The things I learn here really are endless.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I had not heard of Eats, Shoots and Leaves! Our Mother Tongue has a new version with a workbook. I was planning on it some time between 7th and 9th, depending on the difficulty.

Gymnast is currently taking a class free through Empowered Academy using Our Mother Tongue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

What's this? Sounds interesting. I didn't know that was possible. The things I learn here really are endless.

Instead of joining the military when he was drafted, he worked a couple of years in a state hospital in the LA area to take place of someone who went into the military. Later in life he says he wishes he would have gone to Korea, he feels bad, but his upbringing was very strong, and he was just a kid with a domineering father.

• Like 6

Morning, Happy Thursday.  Another week almost done.  It's been a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG one. 

Yesterday I went up and down stairs about 6 times and helped move a piano before 10am.  Then only one student showed up for my 10am so we had her go into the other 10am class for her age, but that meant I didn't teach until 1pm.  

My 1pm class was physics and we did static electricity and lets just say there were a lot of jokes about rubbing rods.  (teenagers!).  

Today I have 4 classes but my first one is only 2 students and a pretty easy class since it's STEM and we do a lot of building stuff, and my last one is one student doing math for 30 minutes.  

Dd and I aren't working out in the mornings anymore.  She starts work at 8am so we'd have to meet at 6:30 and neither of us are down for that.   For some reason 6:30 seems way earlier than 7am.

• Like 7

Good morning!

I need everyone to sing "Oh Wheeeeeeerrre Is My Hairbrush" super loud so dd13 can find hers, please and thank you!

Everyone is feeling a bit better this morning - no fevers and throats aren't sore, just stuffy noses.

My alarm went off this morning and I promptly slept another hour and 10 minutes.  Oops.  But tutorial is over for the semester so we don't have to go anywhere this morning, at least.

My mystery green pot plant now has two little red buds coming up.  I am leaning towards 4 o'clocks because I had more of those to plant, but I haven't been able to find any pictures online of what the emerging plant looks like.  

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I have never tested my kids.

#badhomeschoolmom

I wanna move to Texas! Never thought I'd say that. Ever.

I am required to by our state. DH would want me to anyway just to make sure we're towing the mark educationally for our kids. It's honestly a good way for me to see where I am as a teacher, too, and to know what material was retained vs maybe needs to be retaught a different way.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3