Menu

Ignore this thread!

Back from 4-H clubs holiday party.   We had pizza and cookies and cupcakes and made snowmen with magic snow (sodium polyacrylate).   I left a huge mess from 17 kids playing with magic snow to clean up in the morning.  I'm hoping some of it will dry out by then and be easier to clean up.  

Tomorrow night is our 4-H leaders dinner with the county.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Quick question about holiday tamales - are they for Christmas Eve? New Years? I can't remember.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Christmas Day?

So it turns out that fresh cranberries are very rolly-poley. 

Okey dokey. Traditionally (at least in the part of Mexico where my dh is from), they are eaten as part of the meal right after Christmas Eve midnight mass. So, that's technically Christmas Day. Many people eat them during Christmas Eve dinner, like at the dinner after Las Posadas (which the last day is Christmas Eve) when the community is together. We go to my dh's aunt's house the day after Christmas, and she's making some then. So, I guess anywhere between Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, lol!

Then, to throw a curveball, Christmas isn't actually as big as Día de los Tres Reyes Magos (Three Kings Day) in some areas, and is another big tamale-eating occasion, along with the Rosca de Reyes. 

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Traditionally, yes. Or Christmas Eve. Or New Year's if you really want to. I asked someone at church what day Texans have tamales and he said " Texans have tamales on whatever day Texans want to have tamales." But I think it's the 25th.

Ha! So do we! Tamales any time. They're great for breakfast with scrambled eggs on the side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well, I finished signing all of the Christmas cards while I watched a movie. 

I hope people aren't expecting personal notes (there aren't any), and only a select few (the kids' grandparents and aunts and uncle) are going to be signed by the kids.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure I've ever eaten tamales.   I'm more an enchilada/burrito/arroz con frijoles gal.  But I can't eat spicy food anymore so that limits things a lot.

Morning, Happy Thursday.   

I heading into work early to clean up from last night.   

Dh wants to go to the gym tonight before our leaders dinner.  I don't want to get sweaty and have to shower before going out to a nice dinner.  I don't own a blow dryer and wet hair is not the look I'm going for.  I might actually wear makeup for the first time in a year or two. 

• Like 7

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

Anyone know where I can get some extra energy or some extra hours in my day?  My house needs some extra love before the college kids come home.  Especially since ds21's room has been used as dh's home office for most of the past year and a half.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

No COFFEE!!~D. At least not yet. I forgot to set the COFFEE!,~D-maker.

I slept in this morning. I’m not sick. Don’t have a UTI. Don’t know what was going on yesterday, just tired.

Rain today. We need it desperately.

School and work and piano lessons.

• Like 4

Good morning!

I appreciate the fact that folks are so flexible with the holiday tamale eating situation.  Imma order some from a local hole-in-the-wall near me for whenever dd23 is able to get home.  I think we'll pass on the pig's head this year. 😂

Today is dd19's last day of the semester - finals are next week.  She's done well so far in her oral presentations and oral exams.  

I called the sanitation department and it looks like our loveseat will have to sit out on the curb a few more days.  Too bad we don't have a broken-down refrigerator to set out on the front porch.

Coffee!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I love how at the very top of my medical bill it says in large letters, "YOUR INSURANCE HAS BEEN BILLED CORRECTLY AND THE AMOUNT BILLED IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY"  Oh yeah?  Let's just see how correctly they've been billed, shall we? Lol.

Do it!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Busy day!  Last day of classes this morning.  Appt. this afternoon.  Piano recital tonight.  And swim.  Hang on Baby, the weekend's coming!

Survived all of it!  Points for quoting self!  Also kids are finished for the semester except for one d/e final. 🎉🏆🎉🏆🎉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

After a somewhat trying day, I went to a cookie party with my GriefShare group - about half of us were there and it was very nice.  I ate lots of cookies and learned how to make a salami rose.  There was an adorable pup there who liked to snuggle and play, so that was also fun.  It's a really good group of people.

• Like 8

Morning, Happy Friday.  

Just one class today that should be an easy on.

Tomorrow we have to tear apart ds's room to find the source of a funky smell.  It's not the usual teen boy stink.  We're somewhat worried something died in the walls but are hoping to find an easier to solve source.

Also need to go through the stacks of boxes all over the house, figure out what's Christmas gifts, what's for work, etc.   The kids aren't getting much since they didn't ask for much, but they generally don't care.   They get the things they want/need throughout the year.

Sunday we go to my mom's new place for dinner.  I guess we will get to see how bad it really is.  

• Like 6

Morning. It occurs to me that the way the holiday falls, I'll get two weekends in a row off this year. I'm not going to know what to do with all that free time, only I guess it's not really free, since it's holidays. Maybe I'll bake cinnamon rolls or something nice like that.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!!

School and work!!  Too much to get done today for work. Two classes, three parent meetings, high school progress monitoring. And a partridge in a pear tree.

This is going to be a terribly busy weekend. DD1 has a soccer tourney at a town about an hour away from here and she has to be there by 7:30 tomorrow morning. Then, tomorrow night DH and I are going to a party for upper management at his work. It’s an overnighter at this lodge in the mountains. Fancy. I had to get this dress and I don’t know if I’m going to look all right. I live my life in jeans and I’ve put on weight, so I don’t feel all that comfortable in my own skin. The kids are spending the night at my mom’s the little girls have a piano recital we are going to have to miss, but we will come home Sunday morning and then the Children’s Christmas program is at church Sunday night and DD3 is going to be an Angel. 

I need to get Christmas shopping done. I would like to do more local shopping and less Amazon, but I will only have time the week before Christmas and…. that just scares me a little.

• Like 4

Good morning!

I made fancy buttermilk oat pancakes for breakfast.  You soak rolled oats in buttermilk all night and then mix up the rest of the stuff in the morning to cook.  They were pretty good!

Then I drove the 3 youngest a hour away to a string festival / masterclass thing at the university where ds17's cello teacher is a professor.  Then an hour back and the mobile key guy came and made a second key for the new car (paid for by Carvana) and also made a third key with the blank key that inexplicably came with the car.  He didn't even charge me for that one, so that was especially kind.  

The new loveseat is scheduled to be delivered between 5 and 9pm.  I should probably try to get something done in the mean time between picking people up from places.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Buttermilk Oat Pancakes

2C rolled oats   
2C buttermilk       
(Mix, cover, and refrigerate overnight)

1/2C whole wheat flour (I used Kodiak power cakes mix)
2T brown sugar    
1 tsp baking powder    
1 tsp baking soda    
1/2 tsp salt    
2 eggs, lightly beaten    
1/2C coconut oil (melted but not hot), or other oil   
pancake toppings of choice

In the morning, mix eggs and oil into oat-buttermilk mixture.  Stir together remaining ingredients and mix into oat mixture until just combined.  Batter will be very thick.  Cook pancakes (I used about 1/4 C measure for each) on a medium hot skillet.  Serve with toppings as desired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My alarm didn't to off but fortunately I was already up. 

Had to talk to the UPS guy in my bathrobe, which was embarrassing, because we had two huge boxes with our new living room chairs delivered.

Somehow in the midst of wrangling boxes upstairs, the front doorknob broke.  I finally pushed a smaller box up against the front door because the cat is repeatedly trying to pry the  cracked door open all the way so that he and Juliet can escape.  Which would be a disaster.

Dh started work late and can't really deal with it and I have to leave in 15 minutes for my second diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I made fancy buttermilk oat pancakes for breakfast.  You soak rolled oats in buttermilk all night and then mix up the rest of the stuff in the morning to cook.  They were pretty good!

Then I drove the 3 youngest a hour away to a string festival / masterclass thing at the university where ds17's cello teacher is a professor.  Then an hour back and the mobile key guy came and made a second key for the new car (paid for by Carvana) and also made a third key with the blank key that inexplicably came with the car.  He didn't even charge me for that one, so that was especially kind.  

The new loveseat is scheduled to be delivered between 5 and 9pm.  I should probably try to get something done in the mean time between picking people up from places.

Coffee!

Was it a service key?  Some cars come with a key that looks blank but will open the doors but not start the car.  Evidently it's used in case you lock your keys in the car, or it can be used to make a duplicate key faster than if they have to look up the code from the VIN.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Was it a service key?  Some cars come with a key that looks blank but will open the doors but not start the car.  Evidently it's used in case you lock your keys in the car, or it can be used to make a duplicate key faster than if they have to look up the code from the VIN.  

We couldn't get the key to do anything.  At any rate, we have 3 whole keys now!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our new living room chairs came. They are green. A muted green. Not neon or anything. 

My hands now hurt from breaking down boxes. And I am nowhere near done. 

I also have a muted green chair.  I love it.  So does Chester, lol!  He thinks it's HIS chair!  I have bright orange chairs upstairs in the playroom.  The pale blue walls just seemed to need orange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I also have a muted green chair.  I love it.  So does Chester, lol!  He thinks it's HIS chair!  I have bright orange chairs upstairs in the playroom.  The pale blue walls just seemed to need orange.

We just put up orange curtains in one of the bedrooms.  It's dd11's favorite color.  Maybe she needs pale blue walls now...

• Like 2

It was a long night.  We left the knobless (and lockless) door with a box blocking it from the inside and went for our Friday night date a Home Depot.  We got home and the box was pushed aside and the door was ajar.  But fortunately the animals were all inside and so was all of our stuff.  We're thinking that it was probably wind blowing against the door that did it.  (Either that or someone was scared off by Juliet but she didn't seem bothered, so I doubt it.)

Anyway. . . dh tried and tried to get the doorknob that we had bought to fit but it wouldn't fit even though the box said that it would.  So he went back to the store and got another brand.  Fortunately this one did fit.  And we are now secure and snug as a bug in a rug. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2