Menu

Movie Night begins in a few minutes.  (As soon as dd13 is finished with the dishes.)

The Sound of Music Live! (the one with Carrie Underwood) free on youtube this weekend.

ETA:  The hills are alive with the sound of booyahs.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 204.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Sure!  My girls would love them!  I think all of us read the level 3 books. 😉 Can you send me a PM with the cost and I'll give you my address again if you need it.

I have your address.  Just shipping.  I need the bookshelf space ! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Baby has figured out that I’m the boring one. She was fussing and fussing for me and I handed her to dh and now she is an angel. 

Boring is so underrated!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Sound of Music Live was a lot of fun.

I particularly liked the characters of Max and Elsa -- although I never liked them before.  Captain VonTrapp was also particularly good.

This production was different from the famous movie version -- it was much more like the stage production.

My high school put on The Sound of Music my sophomore year and I fell in love with it.  (And memorized it!  That kind of happens when you spend 10+ hours at rehearsals each week for 10 weeks.)

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ikslo said:

I have your address.  Just shipping.  I need the bookshelf space ! 🤪

Thanks so much!

(But please don't mention bookshelf space.) 😉

• Haha 5
2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Thanks so much!

(But please don't mention bookshelf space.) 😉

I may or may not have ordered a new bookshelf from Amazon this week...

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Scotsman and I tried to watch The Current War tonight. He enjoyed it, but I thought it was so boring that I tuned out early on.

I was super lazy today. I slept in until 9:30 after waking at 3 and not going back to sleep until after 5 when Captain came bounding in. Scotsman took the younger 3 swimming for a couple hours. I twiddled on my computer. Then when they came back, Captain put himself down for a 3 hour nap, Scotsman conked out for 2 and the rest of the kids all screen timed. Dinner around 4:30 and Scotsman and I went out to Chili's and Afsa- 2 minutes before they closed. That countdown is annoying and stress inducing! "Attention AFSA customers: it is now 8:15. The store will be closing in 15 minutes." Repeated every 2 minutes until closing time.

For the second night in a row, I have ASD Boy sitting here watching a movie (Justice League, cause I know you wanted to know) so he doesn't drive Quiet Boy crazy as he is trying to go to sleep.

This week is a short one what with my calling summer vacation, The Girl's 12th birthday, 4th July, then our 17th anniversery, and Scotsman only working 3 days We thought about going to Schlitterbahn in Galvaston but that would be roughly $325 in tickets, so not in the budget. We will likely take kids swimming, make cake, and cheer instead.

Church tomorrow. I'm making a pie- Marie Calendar's apple crumb. I'm copping out.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, maize said:

I just cleaned my shelves off. Then ordered new books. Mine are old IKEA Expedit shelves in birch finish so I can't get new ones. SNIFF!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

I got to sleep at a decentish hour last night (1:30) and I slept pretty well.

Off to read Ezra and Romanos (Romans).  This year for my Bible reading I'm trying to read through the OT in English and the NT is Spanish.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Morning.  I went to bed at a semi-decent hour and got up super early.   I've been up for about an hour and I still have 45 minutes before my alarm goes off.   I really feel much better rested when I wake up without the alarm so I should work on doing that more often.

Our ring doorbell went off at 3am and there was some funky white flapping thing.  Dh thinks it was garbage and we had a bear visit.  I'm afraid to look outside but will have to do it soon.  

Meeting dd to workout and laundry are on today's agenda.  Dh is coming home today.

• Like 4

Coffee! 

The cat woke me early to let me know she was about to die of death because empty food bowl.  She is now lounging across the main walkway through the living room like a full figured lady in a Peter Paul Ruben's painting. 

We're going to second service today because they're recognizing graduates.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good morning!

I woke up in the middle of the night with a case of the hiccoughs!  Finally got myself to the kitchen for a drink of water,  We are going to a restaurant in The Big City tonight for ds24's birthday which is in a couple days.  We got a spot at the early service this morning.  

Coffee!

• Like 5

Went outside to water the garden and check on the garbage and, it looks like no bear visited because there is no garbage all over the place.  

Dd's tai kwan do is starting outdoor classes this week.   It sounds great but I'm still torn on whether she should do them or not.   One, it's summer and hot and we've been having air quality warnings plus late afternoon thunderstorms which is just when she'd be in class.  Two, they are doing the classes in the parking lot and grassy area in front of their building.  Which is on a highway that sees major traffic during rush hour.  Which is the time the classes are scheduled.   

My main concern with both of these issues is dd has asthma.  Mainly exercise induced but does seem to have an allergy component.   I feel bad that she's taking such a long break from training but I also don't want to set her up for having to leave class early like she had to do with Zoom.   But, on the other hand I don't know if we'll ever get back to actual indoor, in real life classes so this may mean she no longer does TKD.   Although, I don't know what they'll do in winter in that case.   I think I'd prefer indoor classes with the air conditioning but wearing masks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, maize said:

DH just agreed we could convert the closet in the school room to bookshelves.  He suggested I could do it when I replace the carpet with tile. 😆 Apparently I “have done it before and have the vacation time.”  But yeah, if I get the budget to do it, I’m so going to take him up on that.  My mind is full of ideas.  And he suggested a small couch for some comfortable seating.  You know, all of the things I mentioned previously that are now his ideas 🙄 ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, ikslo said:

DH just agreed we could convert the closet in the school room to bookshelves.  He suggested I could do it when I replace the carpet with tile. 😆 Apparently I “have done it before and have the vacation time.”  But yeah, if I get the budget to do it, I’m so going to take him up on that.  My mind is full of ideas.  And he suggested a small couch for some comfortable seating.  You know, all of the things I mentioned previously that are now his ideas 🙄 ❤️

Just a testimony of your great management and communication skills!  🏆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

I am not sure what we are doing for church today. DD wants to go, DH and I want to stay home. 
Baby Informed me there are 15 dried out worms on the front walk .

It was 107 degrees yesterday. Today it’s supposed to be 94. Tomorrow 85. You know what that means...... wind and lots of it. My allergies are going to go biserk.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Coffee! 

The cat woke me early to let me know she was about to die of death because empty food bowl.  She is now lounging across the main walkway through the living room like a full figured lady in a Peter Paul Ruben's painting. 

This is such an awesome description.🤣🐱

• Like 5

We were supposed to be back at church for the first time today--they split the congregation into three groups and assigned each a different service time so people could be spread out, encouraged mask wearing, planned a shortened service, and recommended anyone in a higher risk group stay home. Then they cancelled the plan to resume services entirely two days ago because of increasing case numbers.

So we're doing home church again this morning.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oh my. Youngest just got ahold of my drink (he's discovered whatever is in Mommy's cup is usually better than what's in his) and drank half the cup before I realized I'd left it in his reach. Sweet tea. His first taste of anything with caffeine ever. I'm watching and waiting to see what happens when it kicks in and praying I can get him to sleep tonight.

He'll probably chill, and possibly nap.

23 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I went to the grocery store. I’ve been to the Afsa exactly once since the Apocalypse. The grocery store is much more expensive than the Afsa, but I just can’t bring myself to go to the Afsa.

I'm glad our Afsa has pick-up. Although, the past couple of times they really messed up. It got fixed though, and I still will use it.

22 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Me either! Is it weird that he actually seemed calmer afterward? As in sat down and played quietly in one spot in the kitchen for nearly an hour while I cooked dinner. I expected the tasmanian devil, roadrunner, or something of the like. Odd.

No, not weird. Caffeine has the opposite effect on children. This is why some people "medicate" their really energetic (or AD/HD kids) with caffeine.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Renai said:

He'll probably chill, and possibly nap.

I'm glad our Afsa has pick-up. Although, the past couple of times they really messed up. It got fixed though, and I still will use it.

No, not weird. Caffeine has the opposite effect on children. This is why some people "medicate" their really energetic (or AD/HD kids) with caffeine.

Since the Apocalypse, the Afsa can’t guarantee anything on grocery pickup. That’s why stopped doing that, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, maize said:

We were supposed to be back at church for the first time today--they split the congregation into three groups and assigned each a different service time so people could be spread out, encouraged mask wearing, planned a shortened service, and recommended anyone in a higher risk group stay home. Then they cancelled the plan to resume services entirely two days ago because of increasing case numbers.

So we're doing home church again this morning.

Ours has the same plan as yours. I don't think many people are taking up the offer, though.  Texas numbers seem up, as well. Scotsman and I went to the building so I could grab a few things out of the Nursery closet. 

I'm going to my sister's beach house tomorrow to help clean it up for renting out as a vacation rental. I hope I get real sleep tonight then as it is an early pickup.

No pie-- I was too tired and it is cherry, not apple.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 2

Name that youTube song link.

A couple months maybe ago, one of you guys linked a bouncy song with a guy wearing a straw hat and white pants maybe? Anyone remember and can re-post? 

We are back from the Big City.  The restaurant had magicians and a ghost pianist who took requests.  The kids had the most fun with this - they would request something ("Thurston, play You'll Be Back from Hamilton") and if he knew the song he's play a couple high notes and then start.  If he couldn't play the song, he'd smash a couple low notes.  Sometimes he'd play something similar or another song by the same artist.  He even played a D scale. Lol.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My girls had never had cherry pie because A) I don't make pie and B) most store-bought cherry pie contains Red #40 (which two of the girls are allergic to).

Once upon a time, my father-in-law (who was in his mid-80s at the time) decided that cherry pie should not be missed.  He went out to his cherry tree, picked cherries, made pie filling (without dye) and made a cherry pie for them.

I almost cried.  It was such a sweet gift.

• Like 10

I haven't seen the Rainier cherries in the grocery store yet.  What's going on, Jean?  It's almost the 4th of July!  We NEEEEEEEEDDD Rainier cherries! I wonder if they would make a good pie?  

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Junie said:

My girls had never had cherry pie because A) I don't make pie and B) most store-bought cherry pie contains Red #40 (which two of the girls are allergic to).

Once upon a time, my father-in-law (who was in his mid-80s at the time) decided that cherry pie should not be missed.  He went out to his cherry tree, picked cherries, made pie filling (without dye) and made a cherry pie for them.

I almost cried.  It was such a sweet gift.

🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I haven't seen the Rainier cherries in the grocery store yet.  What's going on, Jean?  It's almost the 4th of July!  We NEEEEEEEEDDD Rainier cherries! I wonder if they would make a good pie?  

I have been eating them for the past couple of weeks.  But they are a local cherry so maybe we get them first?  I don't think that they would make a good pie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I woke up about half an hour ago and couldn't get back to sleep.  I slept pretty well. :)

A tiny bit of my headache is still lingering. 

Some of my kids were supposed to start camp this morning.  I feel bad that I told them no, but I feel that it's the right decision.

• Like 6

Morning.  Went to bed pretty early last night so woke up early again this morning.  Dh is home so I had an omelette for breakfast.   

Meeting with dd to work out today.  We've been doing a lot of yoga lately.  It's too hot even early to walk outside, and we've both been stressed and tired.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have been eating them for the past couple of weeks.  But they are a local cherry so maybe we get them first?  I don't think that they would make a good pie. 

That makes sense.  We probably have to wait until the full crops are in.  And I haven't checked all the stores.  I have never made a cherry pie.  Could be fun.  Or a disaster.  But I'll save the Rainiers for fresh eating.

• Like 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Everyone is sleeping in this morning except the rabbits who were thumping around earlier.  Not much going on today - I have a mandolin lesson this afternoon and there's a picnic with the Scout Girls tonight.  I have gotten started on freezer meal planning for the fall.  I want to get at least the soups done and a good start on other meals before we bring the puppy home.     

Coffee!

• Like 3

Hello. I'm not dead. Just busy. But I caught up and am glad to see I'm not the only one with a severe case of book fever. Making a list today for purchase. 

I'm kind of waiting on some news right now that may mess up the rest of my week, but we'll see. I'm planning to spend most of it at home working on writing, getting everything ready for Camp NaNoWriMo, and easing back into school after three weeks off. We'll see if I get to do that or not.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have food prep to do today, and man, the idea of freezer meals sounds so good, until I remember that we lose power just enough to make thaw-freeze cycle stuff a real possibility. 

• Sad 5

I'm up and getting ready to start "short school" with Oldest. Just math and English over the summer. DH took Youngest with him while running errands this morning.

There is still so much to be done before the baby arrives. I feel I may lose my mind if all the things don't get done soon. DH is turning me lose later this week to accomplish some of it. That should make me feel better.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Monday!!!😩😩😩😩

DS has a dentist appointment today. 
it’s going to be 22 degrees cooler today than Saturday.
Lots to do for work today.

I ordered 5 books off Amazon. Three are off a summer reading list my IRL-BFF senT me and t the other two are books I have felt I need to read - that Churchill biography by Erik Larson everyone is talking about and “A Gathering Storm“ by Al Mohler. I am finishing up “Castles Burning” by Magda Denes. Her books (I’ve read two this year) or I should say her writing, is what I’ve been looking for the past two years. It sucks you in and wrings you out and leave you gasping for breath. This particular book is a memoir. She is a Hungarian Jew who grew up in Hungary and lived  through WWII. She was 10 at the time Of the war. She was an extremely precocious child, brilliant and very perceptive. The book is just.... hard to describe. 

• Like 6

I guess I only posted this morning in my head.  I had coffee on the go because swim times are early this week - this week only.  Then next week I think we'll have one early swim time and one afternoon swim time.  

Dental po:  Two dc have check ups tomorrow and one on Wednesday.  

Ed Po:  I have 4 books in my Rainbow Resource wish list.  I'm also expecting a used American History text to get here today, which may or may not effect my RR cart.  I already ordered Brit Lit selections for ds from Amazon.  And I got a math book to look at for youngest a couple weeks ago, but now I need to decide if I want the Teacher's Guide or not.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I let my scraggly cilantro flower and now I have about 17 coriander seeds to harvest!  I have no idea what to do with coriander, but it feels very Gourmet and sophisticated. 

Curry?  Chutney?

• Like 2

Oh my Ow! Ow! OW! Have any of you experienced lightning pain toward the end of pregnancy? It HURTS! In my previous pregnancies, I experienced round ligament pain and remember well the pressure that feels like a bowling ball dangling, but THIS I've never experienced and Do. Not. Like. One. Bit. It apparently will go away after baby is born, but in the meantime, there is nothing I can do to prevent it and it is getting more frequent and intense as baby gets bigger. This, more than the BH contractions are what's slowing me down and keeping me from doing all the things.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Sad 7