Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm done working for the day.  It's 9:15 pm.  I'll relax a while then go to bed since I am meeting dd at 7:30 tomorrow morning.   I need to do some work setting up computers for classes, then finish up the planning for my last 4 classes.  Two are pretty much done I just need to check things and print things.   One is outlined and just needs some fill-in but that's a twice a week class so more work anyway.  And one I've barely started but is similar to other classes so I can probably cannibalize those ones at least a little bit.  

I keep feeling like I"m forgetting something and it's driving me crazy.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Before I forget! There was an advertisement show just now on Netflix as I went to watch TWD, and it is for a show called Get Organized- The Home Edit.

If anyone has watched it, please report back!!  Mari Kon, or whatever was life changing for the way I folded and stored clothes a few years back and I have managed to keep all my closet makeovers in order since, but I read the book after hearing about her on the hive long before she hit TV, and I did not watch the show. I am not a reality show person at all for the most part. But this looked intriguing if it's actually realistic as far as execution and maintenance I will watch it if one of you vouches for it (even though some of you love Sci Fi and that makes your recommendations suspect 😉 ) .

I told dh I want the personal organizer lady to come again before Christmas, or maybe I'll see if HappySmiley will let me hire her for two days to come change my life, but this might be a stand in for free...........but they had a picture of colors or pencils organized by color, and I'm sort of skeptical because that would last like two second in this house. 

The little girls have their colored pencils organized into two pencil cups -- one for warm colors and one for cool.  That has worked well for years. 

• Like 2

You can make floats with Diet Coke, so I assume that you can do the same with Diet Pepsi.

A long time ago, I worked at a McDonald's and one of the summer promotions was Coke floats.  We even had the fluted Coke glasses.  So, so messy if you accidentally put too much ice cream in.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Whaaaaaaaat????

It's a staple. I think it went into the wrong spot when I esploded which prevented it from disintegrating. Then because it didn't disintegrate, it didn't heal. I totally made that up in my head and have no idea if it's a valid theory.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spudater said:

Read and notebook two chapters of the Iliad to discuss with LL next week and three or four Latin worksheets to keep up with Snuggle bunny.  I got one chapter done. Not great but I had a bunch of chores and a clingy baby today. I'll chip away at it.

If you are reading the Illiad while you care for a newborn and a bunch of other kids, you are a rockstar! 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

(((Slache)))

Krissi - love the fall decorations!  I don't decorate, so I'll just enjoy yours.

Angi - great job on the fall tree!

Tex - No help on the organization front.  I have great mental organization.  But then there are too many people in my house for me to implement and enforce it.  So we just do the  mad scramble before people come over.  Case in point, we now have a 2nd box of crackers that no one eats because *someone* couldn't find the first box.  

• Like 4

Good morning!

Puppy started barking an hour early so I got up and took him outside for a real Hemingway potty. Alone. In the dark. In the rain. 😭 😁

We all have to be at church early this morning for various reasons. Dh will be driving various people back and forth between various services.  Good thing we live only 5 minutes away!

COFFEE!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

If you are reading the Illiad while you care for a newborn and a bunch of other kids, you are a rockstar! 

Definitely. I’d say you even top Teddy Roosevelt who read Anna Karenena floating in a boat down a stream in South Dakota chasing the thieves who stole his horse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

It’s still raining.  Waiting in the van for dh to finish counting church officer election ballots for this service to insure there is a quorum.    Then home. 😊

Oooh, thanks for reminding me.... we have a church business meeting this afternoon.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Slache said:

It's a staple. I think it went into the wrong spot when I esploded which prevented it from disintegrating. Then because it didn't disintegrate, it didn't heal. I totally made that up in my head and have no idea if it's a valid theory.

At first all I saw was a plastic square.  It looked like a cheese wrapper and my theory was that your surgeon was making a sandwich and dropped the wrapper in you during your surgery.  A staple is actually an improvement on my scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

At first all I saw was a plastic square.  It looked like a cheese wrapper and my theory was that your surgeon was making a sandwich and dropped the wrapper in you during your surgery.  A staple is actually an improvement on my scenario.

This is also a better story than A MAGGOT!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

And I have located the stink.  A vegetable had fallen behind the microwave.  Ick.  

It is clean now and my kitchen no longer stinks.  

Rotting vegetables are the worst! I've occasionally had potatoes get lost and rot in my pantry--smells like a dead body is somewhere in the house.

The other horrible stench is when someone uses a towel to wipe up spilled milk then doesn't wash the towel right away--by the next day the house smells like a sewer.

At least now when I smell something awful I know too check for potatoes or milk towels!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Before I forget! There was an advertisement show just now on Netflix as I went to watch TWD, and it is for a show called Get Organized- The Home Edit.

If anyone has watched it, please report back!!  Mari Kon, or whatever was life changing for the way I folded and stored clothes a few years back and I have managed to keep all my closet makeovers in order since, but I read the book after hearing about her on the hive long before she hit TV, and I did not watch the show. I am not a reality show person at all for the most part. But this looked intriguing if it's actually realistic as far as execution and maintenance I will watch it if one of you vouches for it (even though some of you love Sci Fi and that makes your recommendations suspect 😉 ) .

So I watched two episodes for you, because #research. The format is a 45-minute show divided into two parts, one at a celebrity's house (1st one was Reese Witherspoon's closet of costumes, etc.) and the other for "regular people." I mostly fast-forwarded through the celebrity bits. They do a good job making use of space and organizing things in an attractive way. Apparently they're big on Instagram (I don't have an account), and also have a blog, books, etc. So maybe a bit helpful.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Colts are winning.  

I had to go check to see who they were playing against before I liked your post.

My grandma would be appalled though.  She had two rules for football: Never root for the Cowboys.  Never root for the Colts. 

The Colts rule is because of living near Baltimore and the whole fiasco of the team sneaking out of town.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hello! I still have a headache (bad) but unlike yesterday, I'm not falling asleep in the middle of the day (good!) The kids are cooking something with my SIL... I think zucchini muffins or something, and they are disquieted by the presence of the zucchini, lol. 

I feel a little bad, because my kids find my presence immensely unexciting, so they gravitate towards whichever other adults are around -- I mean, mom is always around, lol, she's boring. Whereas SIL's kid wants only her because she works full time. So then she winds up watching all the kids if she's accessible... I don't see what I can do about it, though. 

(Currently her kiddo is napping, anyway. So it's not so bad.)

Sorry about your headache.  I hope you feel better.

And I wouldn't worry about your kids wanting to spend time with their aunt.  I think it's important for kids to have good relationships with extended family.

• Like 1

All of our relatives live out of state, so time with them is rare.  But I absolutely think that homeschooled kids especially need time with other (good, approved by parents) adults.  I told our youth pastor that I would never help with youth activities because I wanted our kids to have some time away from me.  I wanted them to have a space where they could not worry about mom looking over their shoulder at every little thing they were doing.  And my kids have appreciated that.

• Like 3

We don't have cable so I can't really watch football.  Plus, there's no one to watch it with.  Ds20 is the only other sports fan in our family, and he's been away at college for two years now.  I have watched some free games "with" him while chatting with him online.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Oh, I'm not worried! She's just pregnant and tired and I don't feel like I can help unless she goes away entirely -- none of the kids want me. (Which is fine by me, lol. I want a break. Just seems hard on her.) 

She'll survive.  If she gets overwhelmed, that's what screentime is for. :)

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

Also, I've never understood wanting a door knob in between the toilet and sink.

Well, since you put it that way...... although in our master bedroom, the bathroom and the bedroom are all kind of one big room, sort of, so there has to be a separate potty room.

• Like 1

Just now, KrissiK said:

Well, since you put it that way...... although in our master bedroom, the bathroom and the bedroom are all kind of one big room, sort of, so there has to be a separate potty room.

I've seen it where the sink is in the bedroom and the shower and toilet are in a separate room, and I've seen bathrooms where the toilet has its own little room. That just feels weird to me. I understand that that is illogical, but I don't like it.

• Like 2