Menu

Ignore this thread!

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I had to do "cry it out" with DD24.  Because it didn't really matter if I was holding her or not.....she was going to cry anyway.  She has hated going to sleep since day one.  *HATED* it.  She never really voluntarily went to sleep until around 1st grade.  

DD11 was not a great sleeper, but not as bad as DD24, and I was able to rock her to sleep then lay her down.  DD9 was pretty good and DS7 has always conked out on his own whenever he's tired, without little to no fight.  

In true sleep training you acknowledge that the child is hungry or needs a change and choose not to tend to that so they will learn to not cry. I know I've let at least some of mine cry it out at some point, but I don't see that as the same thing at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Morning.  Met up with dd and did some yoga this morning.  I was going to meet a friend to kayak but it's raining so nope on that.   

I'll be working on class stuff today, as usual.   I really want to have everything finalized for at least the first half of the year.  Then I can do the rest over Thanksgiving and Christmas break.  I should be able to do it no problem in the next four days.   

My oldest slept with me quite a big until she was 7 or 8 years old (after my divorce where she was gone every other week she seemed to need that connection).  That's when I married dh and when I was pregnant with ds, he firmly declared "no child of mine will sleep in my bed".    Then ds NEVER slept.   No matter what.  Nothing worked.  Not cry it out, nothing.   Guess who was sleeping with us by the time he was 6 weeks old?    Contrary to what so many people said, he didn't stay in our bed until high school.  He actually stopped probably around 4 or 5 years old.  Youngest dd stopped around the same age. 

• Like 1

Ds was "colicky" for his first year plus.  We would walk around with him for hours.  Dh would get home from work in the middle of the night and take over so that I could get a couple of hours sleep before taking over again.  If we put him down he would cry for hours (not that we let him but crying it out was not going to work with him.)  Now I think that these were early signs of his autism in addition with his extreme reactions to all stimuli. 

I have never ever ever heard of crying it out referring to not attending to a child's legitimate needs.  And I read all the books that our pediatrician recommended.  But these were books by actual doctors, not books by religious people hawking a child-rearing method.  I did wean him from night feeding around age 1 1/2 (?) using the advice from one of those pediatrician books. 

I survived ds' first year by putting him in the car, driving to an overlook.  Locking the car but leaving the motor going (because turning off the car immediately meant that he would wake and cry) and then sleeping sitting up in the driver's seat while he slept in the car seat. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

All right, people, we need to get busy!  I went to Hobby Lobby while the kids were still asleep.  I picked out some stuff for my birthday, which is usually fall decor (because it's my favorite season).  Hopefully I bought plenty. 

I am!

20200910_114906.jpg

20200910_114912.jpg

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We have mathed. And puppied. I have made my son two lunches and done some laundry but folded nothing. 

Slache is making me feel like a slacker. Total house reorg on no sleep, dealing with a baby AND Matt's Senate Campaign. And she can make it to Houston in 90 minutes. I'm starting to suspect sorcery. 

I have done almost no housework in a year. I've barely been out of bed.

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Slache has a bunch of live fish boxes. 

Nope.

Jacky Booya!

20190719_175713.jpg

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

I am taking care of business for the Homeschool Association of the Lone Star State. Today was opening a bank account. The treasurer will be setting up a PayPal account. And then I can take care of Internet web hosting stuff. The board members are thinking about the workshops they will do at the convention next April. We hope to have exhibitor invitations in the mail in October. Woohoo. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Please include some secular providers. Just asking nicely. Nothing wrong with others, of course.

We would love to include secular materials. Do you have specific names? Of course, we can only invite them; it's up to them to decide whether they want to come or not.

We'll have a very, very small exhibit hall, only room for eight booths. Our emphasis is on the workshops. Perhaps in 2022, we'll be able to afford a larger venue, although we will still always emphasize the workshops. All workshops will be presented by actual homeschoolers; exhibitors can only do workshops directly related to their product or service.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dobby's Sock said:

Oh my goodness, you're right!  DS is a little more since we started quarantining before the actual quarantine began.  Crazy...

Yep.  They've been keeping track on their whiteboard, changing the number every day.  I told them that they have a doctor's appointment in November that we will probably keep and they seemed kind of disappointed that they were going to lose their streak of consecutive days at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3