Menu

Ignore this thread!

13 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I need a good book to read. Something entertaining and well written. I am in a funk now with reading. I’ve started “Snow Falling in Cedars” and it’s well written, but kind of creepy.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you read The Last Coin by James Blaylock?  So much wonderful in there.  

2 hours ago, Dobby's Sock said:

Oh my goodness - that's exactly what I was looking for when I came across the plushies.

I did find this on etsy but it's waaaaay too expensive.  I got out a piece of scrap wood and my dremel to try to make a budget copy-cat....I may still do that.  But I might also just go the game route with these:

Ion

Covalence

and Valence

Nice!! Thanks for posting!  I have three doing chemistry, so I could almost justify the expensive one.  But I feel like all three of them would look at it for 5 minutes and be done with it.  But I would love it!

• Like 1

Hello, I'm finally home and sitting still long enough to catch up on this thread (I may have skipped some, sorry).   Long day, met dd at 7:30am to work out, then worked at the science center, taught 4 classes, did some clean up (have more to do in the AM), ran to the bank, took dd to TKD, and just finished dinner.  

I don't like the new layout but I'll get used to it.   Facebook did a similar thing, supposedly optimized for cell phones and tablets, but lousy on laptops (which is what I use 99% of the time).  

Sorry for everyone dealing with sick kids or obnoxious husbands. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Slashie I am sorry your baby is hurling. I had to feed my oldest with a beach towel in hand it was so bad- no burp rag on this earth was sufficient, and I had to change three times before we left the hospital when we were being discharged with her to go home. It was impressive. And gross. But I've never heard of the term you used. They never checked anything on her diagnostically beyond a physical exam and the pedi was never concerned because she kept up growth wise, we just had to use some fancy formula- but that was in the dark ages. Even with the fancy formula, she still projectiled every feeding until she got into the baby food stage. 🤢 I do not miss that part. I hope Izagchk is okay. 

He's not that bad. He's had issues keeping food down since he was born. Matt's just worried about the condition because it's genetic and John had it. Pyloric Stenosis is when the sphincter between the stomach and large intestines is too thick to allow food to pass through. They consume food with no problem, they digest it in their stomach, and then throw up curdled formula. Without treatment they starve to death, but that doesn't happen to first world people. John had surgery at 2 months. Isaac, in my opinion, is not showing the right signs for concern, and I caught John's in 4 hours so I should know! He also has lots of gastro symptoms so throwing up isn't surprising.

• Like 2

I wish that pyloric stenosis were better known. I got compliments from every single nurse that I caught it so quickly and that he was still so fat before surgery. So many of the babies were skinny and sickly. If you just knew the signs you would know what it looks like (projectile, curtled vomit) . When I went to the ER they told me there was no way that it was pyloric stenosis and it was acid reflux. I asked them to put in their notes that they refused an ultrasound and they didn't want to do that so they did the stupid ultrasound and guess what?

How much longer would I have waited to go back to the ER. I was so pissed. It was an ULTRASOUND! And he was not going to eat until after surgery. He needed it immediately.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd11 is having her first zoom orchestra rehearsal tonight.  They have divided all the orchestras into 2 or 3 smaller chamber orchestras with the hope that they will be allowed to rehearse in person in a few weeks.  

I'm curious to hear how that goes.  Our youth orchestra is doing something similar (small chamber groups), but last I heard they're supposed to be in person.  They will do a 3-week cycle of rehearsals with a streamed performance and then repeat it a couple more times for the semester - musicians can participate once or all three times.  (We opted out.  Hoping the full orchestras will be seated for spring.)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

He's not that bad. He's had issues keeping food down since he was born. Matt's just worried about the condition because it's genetic and John had it. Pyloric Stenosis is when the sphincter between the stomach and large intestines is too thick to allow food to pass through. They consume food with no problem, they digest it in their stomach, and then throw up curdled formula. Without treatment they starve to death, but that doesn't happen to first world people. John had surgery at 2 months. Isaac, in my opinion, is not showing the right signs for concern, and I caught John's in 4 hours so I should know! He also has lots of gastro symptoms so throwing up isn't surprising.

(((Baby Isaac)))  I know a home scale is not very accurate, but can you start tracking weight just for more peace of mind?

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm curious to hear how that goes.  Our youth orchestra is doing something similar (small chamber groups), but last I heard they're supposed to be in person.  They will do a 3-week cycle of rehearsals with a streamed performance and then repeat it a couple more times for the semester - musicians can participate once or all three times.  (We opted out.  Hoping the full orchestras will be seated for spring.)  

Dd14 is in her rehearsal now - they put them un 2 different groups.  Dd11 said everyone is on mute - first they listened to the music, then they played while the conductor snapped her fingers and kind of hummed the melody while everyone played along (still muted).  Sort of hap-hazard, but I'm guessing if the kid is generally motivated, they will be OK learning the music like this for now.

In ds15's rehearsal on Sunday, the conductor would ask ds15 to play a passage on his cello and everyone else was supposed to be on mute and play along with him?  Something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I want to be real clear with this....guys....I am PUSHING homefront workload this week because come next week....when I am back to schooling......yeah....I get SO LITTLE done.  Once I am done schooling 3 kids.......I am so over life lol

Oh, definitely!  When I am on break, I always get these ideas of long-term projects I want to do and then we start school and I remember why I don't do extra projects or activities!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

One of my abdominal muscles (that are left post kids) rolls over my ribs when I do exercises or certain movements and makes a horrible crunching sensation and I don't want to bring it up to the doctor because I've already had one hernia surgery and I don't really want to have another or more mesh in my body and I'm afraid he'll say "Let's scope it!" like it's some fun game. All that to say- crunchy muscles aren't normal, but I'm not ratting you out about it either. 

Okay now I am really going to bed. 

Ok. First of all, AAAAAAHHHHHHH! Second, they crunch when I massage and stretch them.

I need an adult.

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Do you ever have to count the months on your fingers to figure out the month number?  I almost always do.  Except November, December, January, and February.  I can usually get those in my head.  Lol.

No but I have the advantage of birthdays in July and August, which helps break it up.  

At first I thought you meant how many days were in each month.  

• Like 1

I have decided that even on the days I don't meet dd, I'm going to get up at 6:30am.  Then I have time to have my tea, eat something and relax reading the boards before heading into the science center around 8am.   Still early enough to get lots of work done. 

I have to figure out the days I meet dd.   I could get up earlier (ugh) so I can eat/tea before.  I was coming home to eat/tea but now I don't come back, I just stay at the science center.  I could bring all the stuff to make my tea there, but I only have a microwave so can't do all my bone broth stuff that easily.   I could make it at home and put it in a thermos but even my Swell doesn't hold more than one cup.  

I decided one reason my ankle was hurting more was because I wasn't having my bone broth everyday anymore.   So I need to remedy that.  

• Like 2

Good morning!  

Muscle Crunch would be a great name for a high protein cereal.

I need to stop by the library today and Publix for wraps for dinner - I thought I'd already gotten some but apparently not.  Should I start emptying out my closet today?  Spudz, did you call Clint and Stacey yet?

Coffee!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I sound like a before ad for Stitch Fix, but those prices are ouch. I'm used to getting everything at the thrift store.

I have gotten a few things on ThredUp, but getting the right fit is still a crapshoot.  Sometimes they give measurements which helps a bit.  Thrift store is cheaper.  Or consignment sales - they have a few biannual sales in our area that have really good deals, but I still have to bring a tape measure and hope for the best.

• Like 1