Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I’ve only been here 2 years! What was it like before?

I joined the well trained mind forums when I had a two year old that was bound and determined to learn to read and I had no idea what to do because he was 2 years old. I did not believe in teaching children this age how to read but he was doing it himself and he was doing it incorrectly. I started a thread and I got chewed out! I was putting too much pressure on him, I was being too controlling, 2 is too young to read. I know that, that's why I joined! They didn't help me, they persecuted me. I joined because of all of the old threads and how wonderful the people seemed, but rarely experience that these days. That's why I like ITT. Thems good peeps.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I'm lost. Is Miss Attitude a symbolic generic poster or are we talking about the dog?

Dog.

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Oh, lol, as someone who’s actually taught my 3 year olds to read, I know how that conversation goes! It’s kind of unpleasant, because people do NOT take personal differences into account. Like, my first 3 year old blasted through it and found it trivial and has been a voracious reader ever since, and my second 3 year old begged and begged until we taught her... but no, it’s developmentally inappropriate regardless of reason and outcome 😕 .

And then everyone compares them. First read at 2, second read at 6 (Why can't she read at 2, you're obviously capable of teaching them at 2) one probably won't read before he can drive and now the forth reminds me of the first one (help) so we'll see. No. Go away. I've got it handled.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

my two oldest are at a weekend camp (not in danger of the fires, for some reason this area of the mountains doesn’t get the fires), so it’s pretty quiet. Baby is making pancakes. I don’t know what I’m going to do today. Clean house, grocery shop. 

((Paradox)) you just need to tell yourself you are doing the best you can. And that’s all you can do.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am no longer friendly, understanding, generous or kind when it comes to Miss Attitude!

Tell me how to get puppy to stop making foot water!  (He has a lovely bowl of fresh water and insists on splashing his foot in it.  So. Gross.)

4 minutes ago, Spudater said:

The Empress has learned how to curl her tongue and is very proud of herself.

Congratulations!  I remember asking my grandmother on her deathbed if she could curl her tongue because we had just learned in Jr. High science that it was hereditary and I just had to know!  (She was the only grandparent I could ask - my other grandparents all died before I was born.)  She could, indeed, curl her tongue!  🏆

Why am I not doing something constructive?  Must. Get. Off. Butt.

#shesaidbutt

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I get tired of “developmentally inappropriate” as a descriptor. Kids develop very differently! It’s just an excuse to judge. If my older kiddo wants to learn hard math, why not?? 

Because I don't want to teach it! :laugh:

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Tell me how to get puppy to stop making foot water!  (He has a lovely bowl of fresh water and insists on splashing his foot in it.  So. Gross.)

Put it up. Low enough to drink, too high to splash. Attempt to put it back when you think the habit is broken. Possibly after pupyhood.

• Like 4

Hello, I'm just checking in while eating my lunch.    I feel bad, my mother called and wanted to go out for pizza today.   One we aren't going out to eat anywhere despite it being legal now.  And two, I have soooo much work to do and a serious deadline to do it in.   I just can't take the time out. 

• Like 4

We are just sitting around waiting for the van to be done.  I have to drive dh et. al. to pick it up snd then some of us may continue on to the eyeglasses store to see if we can find new frames.  Ds15 does NOT want to get glasses, but we told him he at least needs a pair so he can get his permit and learn to drive.  I did practice mandolin chords, got out the backpacks for dd24/11 and myself, and measured the coat closet.  Now drinking afternoon coffee.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Then, I need to run a load of dishes and then get started separating grapes, cutting melons, shredding cheese, etc.  I am probably going to need to pitch some lettuce.  I wish I could get that eaten before it goes bad but we just don't each much lettuce.  I use it primarily for taco night and most other nights, it just won't get eaten.  I buy the cheapest one since we don't eat much, but we still always end up with some that goes bad.  

Did you know lettuce is good for making broth? You could throw it in the freezer (because texture won't matter) until you are ready to make some. Here's a broth recipe that uses it.

I mostly use baby spinach as our leafy green.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Meat for the freezer is put up, and everything that needs to go in the fridge initially is in there.  Taking a break.

Then, I need to run a load of dishes and then get started separating grapes, cutting melons, shredding cheeseetc.  I am probably going to need to pitch some lettuce.  I wish I could get that eaten before it goes bad but we just don't each much lettuce.  I use it primarily for taco night and most other nights, it just won't get eaten.  I buy the cheapest one since we don't eat much, but we still always end up with some that goes bad.  

Trophy for you.  And thanks for reminding me - I should go do dishes.  

• Like 2

Good Afternoon!

Happy Saturday!

I feel so groggy.

I collapsed into bed (yes, literally) at 9 p.m. last night.  It took me several minutes to climb (yes, on hands and knees) one flight of stairs.  I took some iron, brushed my teeth, and crawled into bed.  I was asleep within 2 minutes (which is very, very rare for me).  I woke up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep until almost 4.  I slept until 9:30, but I didn't feel rested at all. 😞

I have accomplished not much today.  I brushed hair for the two littlest ones to help them get the tangles out.  And, I read for a few minutes.  Dh and I discussed some home improvement projects (that he will be doing).

And now it's naptime.  I have no energy and I didn't even do anything. 😞

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

(((Texan)))

No, don't feel bad for not visiting your MIL this week.  You should not feel like you have to go every time your dh does.

I'm trying to decide if I should read the articles that Slache linked.

I was going to write a whole bunch of stuff, but decided it was too personal to put on a public forum.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Oh no!! Are you sick? 

No.

I have chronic illness that makes some days like this.  (Rheumatoid arthritis, chronic migraines, anemia).

At the moment, I think it's anemia.  (I have very heavy cycles -- to the point that a few years ago I had to get a blood transfusion because my iron levels were so low.  I'm on medication now that helps, but sometimes I still feel like I have zero energy.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

(((Texan)))

No, don't feel bad for not visiting your MIL this week.  You should not feel like you have to go every time your dh does.

I was going to write a whole bunch of stuff, but decided it was too personal to put on a public forum.

To clarify a little bit: My in-laws have never been a problem.  Only FIL is left and he is very low maintenance.

The problem is more with dh's in-laws. 😉  My step-dad passed away last spring.  I still haven't cried.

ETA: Of course, booyah.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

(((Texan)))

Now that I've posted and read them I don't think they are overly helpful. 🙄 They just came highly recommended to me. I do want to read Toxic Parents which has been recommended by multiple people.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Cantaloupe cut and lettuce/salad mix all separated.  Next is cheese.  I need to get the slices done so we can have cheeseburgers tonight.  So cheese slices and shreds are up next.  Along with unloading and reloading dishwasher 

Jamaican me hungry!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

2 to 3 hrs is exactly what I would plan for such a party for my DD who just turned 10 today.   In fact, I would’t Even go so far as a craft.  I would be all ‘everyone wear swim suits and we will do the sprinkler and some water balloons. ‘

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I would be closer to 2 unless I knew the dynamic between the 8 of them really well. Also, I’m an introvert, so 3 hours would be pushing it depending on the particular kids. 

Well, I enjoy doing crafts with the girls, even though I’m not a very crafty person. I’m thinking 3 hours would be fine.

oooh, it’s a Birthday Party Booya/h!!!

Edited by KrissiK
It’s a Booya/h, baby!!!

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Hey everybody!  Partay at Texan’s house!!!! No SILs coming!  And Tex cleaned house!  Who’s bringing the root beer?  Who’s bringing nacho dip?  Let’s go!  🥳🥳🥳

I'll fire up the Stealth 'Copter and pick everyone up.  Jean always brings the root beer.  I'll bring vanilla ice cream for floats.  Krissi, you can bring leftover birthday cake.  Who's going to make pie?

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT RAINS!

Come on over - looks like there's more on the way!

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

if you were going to have a 10th birthday party for your DD and invite 6-7 little girls, have lunch and cake and a little craft...... would you say 3 hours is good?

3 hours is plenty!  With time to spare for extra giggling.

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Diet Pepsi!

Of course!  Can you make a float with Diet Pepsi?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The van has new brakes.  We went to the eyeglasses store and dd17, ds15, and dd14 all found lenses they liked, but when the lady plugged in our info, the computer said they aren't eligible for insurance coverage on frames until January 1st.  Well, we know that's not correct, and she was reading off incorrect info on our coverage, so we had to leave and see if we can figure out who screwed up so the kids can get glasses.  I swear this happens every. freaking. time. we try to get anyone glasses or contacts, which is almost continuously since 7/8 of us need vision correction.  We are so fortunate that we actually have excellent vision coverage through dh's job, but usually the optometrist or frame shop messes up somewhere.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

The van has new brakes.  We went to the eyeglasses store and dd17, ds15, and dd14 all found lenses they liked, but when the lady plugged in our info, the computer said they aren't eligible for insurance coverage on frames until January 1st.  Well, we know that's not correct, and she was reading off incorrect info on our coverage, so we had to leave and see if we can figure out who screwed up so the kids can get glasses.  I swear this happens every. freaking. time. we try to get anyone glasses or contacts, which is almost continuously since 7/8 of us need vision correction.  We are so fortunate that we actually have excellent vision coverage through dh's job, but usually the optometrist or frame shop messes up somewhere.

6/8 of us have vision correction.  Two of us (me and dd12 have bifocals).

We haven't had so much trouble with the eye doctor, but we have with the orthodontist.

Twice recently I have gotten appointment reminders for a kid who is not mine.

• Haha 3